I'm just wondering: does anyone know or can anyone confirm whether the Passport will be sporting a Sapphire screen or not?

Just curious...

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 10:27 AM
    Yeah, probably not. Even if BlackBerry tried to get it, Apple has the supply chain pretty much locked up.
    jelle_57 and DYLANHABKIRK like this.
    07-21-14 10:36 AM
    Maybe one day...

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    07-21-14 10:42 AM
    Hahahahahahahaha.......no.
    07-21-14 11:03 AM
    The sapphire display failed the sandpaper scratch test miserably

Posted via CB10
    Just Me and Clanked like this.
    07-21-14 11:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sure that was not a sapphire display, whether or not it's the iPhone 6 display is the question.
    07-21-14 11:40 AM
    I don't think so. Certainly wouldn't bet on it.
    07-21-14 11:50 AM
    Corning is good enough
    07-21-14 12:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    It wasn't sapphire. It was a composite laminate material.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-21-14 02:18 PM
    Said sandpaper video, since no one linked it lol.

07-21-14 04:10 PM
    Icrap had to do something. More broken iPhoney glass than any other phone on the market. Blackberry has always made the most robust phones. I have dropped my phone from various heights due to my work and it has never broken. Love my BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 04:20 PM
    Must say that is a good move by apple. I long of the day I no longer need a screen protector or case on my phone
    07-21-14 04:36 PM
    Must say that is a good move by apple. I long of the day I no longer need a screen protector or case on my phone
    Most people will still use cases tho since bezels are still prone to nicking/damage. With a good case I don't see the need for screen protectors with Gorilla Glass 3 unless you're prone to get sand in your environment.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    07-21-14 04:55 PM
    I've had a Tag Heuer since I was 14, only watch I wear every day,.. I'm now at 30 clicks and although the stainless steel case and strap have plenty of battle wounds, the sapphire crystal face is as pristine as when I opened the box 16 years ago.

Somehow... I don't know if an Apple smartphone, meant to be replaced every year thanks to their marketing fads (of which I wish BlackBerry had some), is really worth such durability.

Posted via CB10
    Greened likes this.
    07-21-14 05:03 PM
    Sapphire display or not, I think the Z10's display is very durable as well.

At least I'm glad that it'll be an IPS LCD display!

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    07-21-14 07:09 PM
    Sapphire crystal on my rolex is mint, can't say the same about the rest of the watch lol. I have banged this thing on desks and doors countless times, and not a scratch on the sapphire, I'm pretty sure it can withstand sandpaper, but I'm not about to try it out lol

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 07:15 PM
    I'm just wondering: does anyone know or can anyone confirm whether the Passport will be sporting a Sapphire screen or not?

Just curious...

Posted via CB10
    Let's wait to see if Sapphire screens are better than Gorilla Glass or not. Right now it is speculation and marketing. No one has tested the glass on an actual device. Scratching is one thing, but I will wait for the drop tests.
    07-21-14 07:26 PM
    Let's wait to see if Sapphire screens are better than Gorilla Glass or not. Right now it is speculation and marketing. No one has tested the glass on an actual device. Scratching is one thing, but I will wait for the drop tests.
    Here is the test video from above

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 07:37 PM
    I didn't even know there was a difference between them? I thought gorilla glass was using sapphire glass.. Can you please explain what's the difference?

Posted via CB10
    pungster likes this.
    07-21-14 07:57 PM
    Here is the test video from above

Posted via CB10
    As I said, no test have been done on an actual device. I want to see the drop test.
    07-21-14 08:43 PM
    I didn't even know there was a difference between them? I thought gorilla glass was using sapphire glass.. Can you please explain what's the difference?

Posted via CB10
    Sapphire is made using aluminum oxide powder while glass uses silicon dioxide. Why use sapphire: better optical transparency, high strength, and scratch-resistance. Why not use sapphire: Expensive and doesn't bend well. Apple claims to have solved the brittle problem by laminate process but it appears from the demos because that process does not produce a pure sapphire screen that it doesn't have the scratch resistance of pure sapphire, but still better than Gorilla Glass 3.
    jelle_57 likes this.
    07-21-14 09:01 PM
    Sapphire is made using aluminum oxide powder while glass uses silicon dioxide. Why use sapphire: better optical transparency, high strength, and scratch-resistance. Why not use sapphire: Expensive and doesn't bend well. Apple claims to have solved the brittle problem by laminate process but it appears from the demos because that process does not produce a pure sapphire screen that it doesn't have the scratch resistance of pure sapphire, but still better than Gorilla Glass 3.
    I think the current iteration is a composite chemical mix of sapphire and whatever (something softer obviously), which is why it scratches with "softer" sandpaper.

The laminate patent publication is an alternative approach (not being used), of bonding (not mixing) a pure sapphire layer to something more mechanically resistant. Maybe that'll be in the iPhone 6ps (for pure sapphire, or pure s**t).

Anyway, if the outward facing layer was pure sapphire, it would not scratch as it does in the demo.

Posted via CB10
    tp2386 likes this.
    07-21-14 09:13 PM
    I read when notification comes the apple logo will glow (sapphire back).It would be great if BlackBerry logo also glow.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    07-21-14 09:16 PM
    I think the current iteration is a composite chemical mix of sapphire and whatever (something softer obviously), which is why it scratches with "softer" sandpaper.

The laminate patent publication is an alternative approach (not being used), of bonding (not mixing) a pure sapphire layer to something more mechanically resistant. Maybe that'll be in the iPhone 6ps (for pure sapphire, or pure s**t).

Anyway, if the outward facing layer was pure sapphire, it would not scratch as it does in the demo.

Posted via CB10
    I've heard the composite theory but have found no info how sapphire composites are a real product. Its possible that that scratch test is actually scratching some other layers on top of sapphire. Patently Apple shows an Apple patent where oleophobic coatings are applied to sapphire using a transition layer of silica.
    07-21-14 10:43 PM
    I have a sapphire crystal in my watch for its scratch resistance - which is phenomenal. If Apple is putting any softer coating on top of the sapphire, the scratch resistance is lowered so why bother?

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 10:59 PM
56 123