If you bought a passport today do you think it would be able to open all the websites you use 2 years down the road.

Will you be able to read and write things on it?
    Will you be able to use somehow the following apps
    Instagram
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Whatsapp
    Bbm

Basically will the passport be a phone thats so obsolete that its hard to use in 2 years time?

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 09:06 AM
    If you bought a passport today do you think it would be able to open all the websites you use 2 years down the road.

Will you be able to read and write things on it?
    Will you be able to use somehow the following apps
    Instagram
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Whatsapp
    Bbm

Basically will the passport be a phone thats so obsolete that its hard to use in 2 years time?
    Probably. Email and SMS will still be perfectly usable. Web browsing will most likely work most of the time, but many pages may not render correctly and you may have security certificate and other compatibility issues. Forget apps, most Android apps will require 4.4 or above in 2 years' time and there will be almost no active BB10 developers left.
    02-10-17 09:16 AM
    I believe in 2 years the Passport will be reaching the end of its life, sadly.
    02-10-17 09:23 AM
    Nope. Other than BBM and SMS

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.3.2163 / Telus
    02-10-17 09:41 AM
    In technology you buy for what it can do now not what it can do later..lol

Posted via CB10
    fr4nz and PantherBlitz like this.
    02-10-17 09:51 AM
    As a basic phone use , phone call, emails, text and browser, yes It will last another two years. There are folks here still using BlackBerry 9900 which is OS7. With no issues. Apps on the other hand, not so much.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 09:52 AM
    Yeah it'll work as a phone, fine. Not a media consumption device or a social media dynamo.
    kunz1925shooter likes this.
    02-10-17 09:54 AM
    You've already asked the same in your other thread.
    If that is haunting you that much, try to buy again that red Passport which you cancelled the purchase.

Posted from my  Passport
    02-10-17 10:36 AM
    You've already asked the same in your other thread.
    If that is haunting you that much, try to buy again that red Passport which you cancelled the purchase.

Posted from my  Passport
    Yeah... the passport means a lot to me... i used it for the first time when the mayor of the city visited our school. I had his passport for 5 minutes to take photos and all of him with our principal. Thats when i formed a very strong emotional attachment to the device. The passport is like nothing else. There is no phone on earth that can be a passport... it holds its own. Its uniqueness and everything else just made me fall in love with it as if it is a real person. So thats why iam switching back and forth... on one hand i want a passport because it is a passport and on the other hand i want to experience all the goodness that you guys got to experience when you bought it in 2014 till now.

So yeah its scary.

Posted via CB10
    kunz1925shooter likes this.
    02-10-17 10:49 AM
    Well, if you buy the OG it's relatively inexpensive now and should still work just fine for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't stress it too much. If you think you're going to need a full app experience wait a few months as a few people may put up their passports for sale when the mercury comes out.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 11:54 AM
    It's already on a slow death, Next year it would surely die why think of next 2years.

BlackBerry Passport SE
    02-10-17 04:18 PM
    I have just bought one. So I hope so. A few years back I got a playbook, the only blackberry hardware i've owned till this. The app situation was dire.

I'm not a social media user, bar reddit, for interests and info. I've got the amazon store and Google play, so i'm happy. Most of the apps on my note 3 I never used.

For me the screen aspect is the best iv'e seen and used for reading on a phone. It's lovely. Every phone i've had was just too narrow for reading, it always irritated me, and my books etc would go unread on the phone, but i'm in love with this thing, the width is perfect.

I don't need cutting edge apps,on a phone it's to contact people I know in real life and to consume information and entertainment.

If I don't update the android apps like pocket and moon reader etc, what are the odds they will work in a year or two?

Apps from the blackberry store seem slimmer than windows from what I can tell.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    02-10-17 06:07 PM
    Get aptoide so you can get old apk versions, and know how to use cobalts to patch apps for apps that need Google play services. I have lucky patcher on my rooted tablet I use to edit various permissions etc on an app before transferring it over to the passport and app ops is downloaded to my passport to help with android apps. That way I run dozens of android apps and don't experience any lag whatsoever and extend the longevity of my device.

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    02-10-17 08:51 PM
    Thanks for the info ryder55!
    Looks to be a lot of good pointers on how to keep my passport usable for quite some time. I've googled Aptoide and the rest, and with some reading I think i'll be able to get my head around it. I haven't got Google services yet, just the play store, I messed up the first installation by logging into Google (account manager?) 4.4.4 first rather than 4.4.3. So after rectifying that I thought i'd just get the play store first.

The apps you mentioned that changed permissions, do they improve performance for the apps on the passport? If I understand correctly by cutting unnecessary actions of the app trying to target ads at you through location etc?

I'm inexperienced at this kind of thing so I appreciate any pointers, and the ones so far.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 09:24 PM
    I had a texting android app on my passport that kept requesting for my camera for no reason at all constantly. Once I turned the permission off through appops, my phone stopped lagging. After using android for a while, I'm just more aware of rogue app behavior and like to see what's going on underneath the hood. What I do is I patch a lot of apps through lucky patcher, then store the apks on the app "aptoide backup" that way I just recycle them amongst my devices. Or I download the leanest sized app version through aptoide that way I know the app won't use lots of resources. If you download from playstore a lot, you'll get lags for sure.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 09:35 PM
    Seriously??? The "what if" threads were bad enough but at least you knew the end result.
    Now you want us to tell you what we can't... only to have us live to see how horribly wrong we were and how ridiculous these threads are (and if that weren't enough) have to openly admit that the Spaced Guy.. (what was his name) umm, Lost something or other, was actually right ????

Relevant in TWO years???
    Look around you. You can't find "relevant" NOW... in two years you won't remember how to spell it and somewhere along the way you'll believe that
    relevant is a baby Elephant.
    02-11-17 12:50 AM
    Thanks for the info ryder55!
    Looks to be a lot of good pointers on how to keep my passport usable for quite some time. I've googled Aptoide and the rest, and with some reading I think i'll be able to get my head around it. I haven't got Google services yet, just the play store, I messed up the first installation by logging into Google (account manager?) 4.4.4 first rather than 4.4.3. So after rectifying that I thought i'd just get the play store first.

The apps you mentioned that changed permissions, do they improve performance for the apps on the passport? If I understand correctly by cutting unnecessary actions of the app trying to target ads at you through location etc?

I'm inexperienced at this kind of thing so I appreciate any pointers, and the ones so far.

Posted via CB10

WOW. I hope I'm not too late. I see you're new and then" Looks to be a lot of good......"
    First off, these people can see you comin' before you even know you're comin' here. It's open 24/7 and I don't have to tell you ... ALL the crazies, come out at night. Well, just look at this thread. I don't recognize anyone ...uh wait.... nope!
    People walk right in and hack into the system. Oh yeah! The security here is next to nonexistent. They want you to believe it's not necessary but, the funds have gone to the new hidden cameras. One's looking at you right now!
    Hey, HELLO!! what are you looking for? I told you they were HIDDEN. Now pay attention. We don't have much time. Look!! For now, Just be suspicious of everything.
    And when you read a thread that sounds so good that you think "hey... this thread sounds so good" It probably is good, but then, that's what they want you to think! so ignore it.
    instead , pull a switch and go for the thread that looks like it couldn't possibly be of any use. You'll no the place cause you'll hear yourself say "looks like it couldn't possibly be of any use.'

Don't say I didn't tell you. I mean it. If you do say it, I won't be able to help you and you won't be able to say I told you.
    02-11-17 01:20 AM
    A smart phone is a tool and the better question is will the phone perform the tasks required in two years.

Things a BlackBerry Passport will still do well in 2019:

1) Make phone calls. I don't see a big change happening in infrastructure that will prevent the use of a Passport.

2) Send text messages. I still do most of my communication via plain old texting. I don't see this changing in the near future.

3) Play music.

4) Function as a GPS.

5) Provide quick searches on the internet.

6) Task manager or To Do List.

7) Video playback device.

I do a significant amount of my banking on my Passport. The items that will prevent this phone from being useful to me will be the inability to pay bills and perform transactions between banks. I slowly have been moving to Android apps where the Native BB10 apps have been obsoleted, but there has been a speed penalty.

There will always be an active used device market for BlackBerry devices. Don't put them in a drawer, sell them on eBay or Kijiji or similar site. Use it until your phone hinders you from doing something.

Posted via CB10
    fr4nz and AllanQuatermain like this.
    02-11-17 07:15 AM
    Many would say the Passport is not relevant now.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-11-17 08:46 AM
    ...I just bought my 2nd SE a week ago (other got stolen) I don't purchase in terms of relevance. Bought my e-car years ago, bad reviews, bad performance,...still drive it, 'till she won't move nomore or the world runs out of electricity...
    02-11-17 08:46 AM
    A smart phone is a tool and the better question is will the phone perform the tasks required in two years.

Things a BlackBerry Passport will still do well in 2019:

1) Make phone calls. I don't see a big change happening in infrastructure that will prevent the use of a Passport.

2) Send text messages. I still do most of my communication via plain old texting. I don't see this changing in the near future.

3) Play music.

4) Function as a GPS.

5) Provide quick searches on the internet.

6) Task manager or To Do List.

7) Video playback device.

Posted via CB10
    8) Email.
    9) BBM.
    10) Documents reading and simple editing
    11) Basic browsing (not just the web search)
    12) Making photos. Unless it's of paramount importance to have the most modern camera.
    13) Ebooks reading?
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    02-11-17 08:57 AM
    who cares if the certain apps are going to work or not....but the thing is...its going to be your phone..if u love it now then u will be going to love it in future also....its uniqueness will going to be remain the same....go for it....even i used Z10 for 1.5 yrs and now planning to buy another berry , probably the classic or Z30
    02-11-17 10:13 AM
    Probably. Email and SMS will still be perfectly usable. Web browsing will most likely work most of the time, but many pages may not render correctly and you may have security certificate and other compatibility issues. Forget apps, most Android apps will require 4.4 or above in 2 years' time and there will be almost no active BB10 developers left.
    No worries 2 years is a long time. As for apps most will work, some not; but in the end apps like programs run to the lowest common denominator. Same reason programs written for windows 95 keep working. No one wants to walk away from any consumer, no matter how outdated the hardware. Look no further than Apple, last year they just discontinued support for the first I Phone. In the end enjoy your phone to its fullest "as I do" and let the others worry about what if.
    02-11-17 10:30 AM
    I hope so. My Passport SE is my "basic" smartphone. I have 6 pages of apps that I seldom use. The browser works fine for me. Facebook app goes directly the browser Facebook page. Face10 tells me that I have some comments or replies, so that is OK. BBM with my wife, text messages with everyone else. I should be good for another 10 years. And I like the camera.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    02-11-17 10:48 AM
    Yes.....but other than the "go to" functions listed in a previous post who cares what that latest app dejour is. Me....

Texting apps..too many. Use the basic one one the phone tied to your phone number.

Games....don't care.

Don't use taxis or other transportation for hire.

Solid device, HW and SW for me.....too bad they are or have sunsetted it.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-17 10:58 AM
42 12