It should be built by BlackBerry IMO.
    Just wondering...

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 09:59 AM
    Anyone know what production facilities BlackBerry still operates? At one time there were a number of facilities through out the world, but all I've heard lately is just the Mexico.

All I heard them leasing back in Canada were "office" spaces, do they have any of the large production still there?

It would make sense that if BlackBerry doesn't have the capacity, in stead of leasing space and equipment... to just outsource to Foxconn. If the Passport is a hit, Foxconn could quickly ramp up production.
    anon5288998 likes this.
    08-22-14 10:29 AM
    Hmm... I wonder if the Verizon model will also be made in Canada/Mexico,.. since it is also a smaller batch (and the VZW Z10 was made in Canada instead of Mexico at that time).
    I'm still wondering if there is a Verizon model. Been a rumor that Verizon passed on it. No FCC filings for a CDMA Passport. And the specs Blaze just posted doesn't list a CDMA version.

Could just be that the Verizon version is running behind this more widely available version....

If the Passport is not on Verizon, that will be a big problem. I'm sure FANS here might drop Verizon in favor of another carrier that either has the Passport or has a network that a shopblackberry.com device would work on. But I don't think government agency or enterprise customer would do the same.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 08-22-14 at 01:29 PM.
    08-22-14 01:10 PM
    I've also been wondering if this was built by Foxconn or not because I'd like to know if it has the Paratek Antenna built in or not?

Does BB only use that for the devices it builds or would it lend that to Foxconn as well
    08-22-14 02:33 PM
    I thought there was mention when the Foxconn deal was announced that the Mexican factory contract was ending. Can someone confirm if that is true or not?

If that is true, then my guess is made in Canada.

Posted via my QNX Z30
    08-22-14 06:04 PM
    It will be made in Mexico in the next few weeks at least. Not sure about other production facilities

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 10:42 PM
    I'm still wondering if there is a Verizon model. Been a rumor that Verizon passed on it. No FCC filings for a CDMA Passport. And the specs Blaze just posted doesn't list a CDMA version.

Could just be that the Verizon version is running behind this more widely available version....

If the Passport is not on Verizon, that will be a big problem. I'm sure FANS here might drop Verizon in favor of another carrier that either has the Passport or has a network that a shopblackberry.com device would work on. But I don't think government agency or enterprise customer would do the same.
    If Passport clicks, carriers world wide would definitely get it themselves.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 11:08 PM
    That's what I'm hoping for..

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    08-22-14 11:55 PM
    For government users it comes with correction fluid and a manual
    08-30-14 12:03 PM
    I would assume blackberry because this is a premium device. Not budget

Posted via my z10. "Living life on the edge"
    08-30-14 10:58 PM

The problem is.. WHAT carrier? T-Mobile does not collaborate anymore with BlackBerry. Are we talking Verizon? Sprint?

For me personally not a big deal if BlackBerry offer it directly (and I am not sure they will do it) but, I am again stating the obvious here, not having the carriers support would damage dramatically the penetration of the Passport

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 06:12 AM
    I was under the impression that BlackBerry had shuttered their assembly plant in Waterloo and had shifted production elsewhere. I could easily see the low-margin, higher volume phones being made by Foxconn, while the high-end phones get made elsewhere.

My Z10 was made in Mexico. How disappointed I was when I saw that when I too my Z10 out of the box for the first time. It would have been nice to see a 'Made in Canada' label on it.
    09-01-14 01:33 PM
    The Passport I tested had a little note next to a SIMcard tray and it said "MADE IN CANADA", so I guess the answer is that it will be made by BlackBerry itself, unless there will be more versions like Bla1ze said.

Will the Passport be produced by Foxconn or BlackBerry?-dsc_3907_crop.jpg
    Last edited by Ruslan Botsyurko; 09-01-14 at 01:48 PM.
    tp2386 likes this.
    09-01-14 01:38 PM
    The Passport I tested had a little note next to a SIMcard tray and it said "MADE IN CANADA", so I guess the answer is that it will be made by BlackBerry itself, unless there will be more versions like Bla1ze said.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3907_crop.jpg 
Views:	854 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	295061
    The initial test devices were produced in house, that's why it says Canada.

Posted via CB10
    Ruslan Botsyurko likes this.
    09-01-14 02:18 PM
    From my understanding test devices are often made in Canada, as I am imagine they go through a number of different revisions before they go to final production. I can see why Bla1ze is saying that the word on the street that they are going to produce the passport in two different places, as often time governments, USA just to name one, don't like products being made in a country like China for example. Samsung is finding out the hard way that the USA government is serious about this and that is why Samsung is being fined by us government.
    09-01-14 03:49 PM
    Would love to get a device made in Canada, not Mexico...

Putin Huylo. Slava Ukraini, freedom to Ukraine!
    FalkirkEagle likes this.
    09-01-14 05:21 PM
    Makes sense, I didn't think about that. But I wouldn't be afraid of Mexico either, I've had a Bold 9900 made in Mexico and it was perfectly fine, so as long as BlackBerry keeps an eye on the build quality, it would make sense to spare some money and make devices in countries where it's cheaper.

Putin Huylo. Slava Ukraini, freedom to Ukraine!
    Heroiam slava!
    09-01-14 05:47 PM
    Does BlackBerry still have resources to build hardware by themselves? Do they still have production line?

I asked because this will definitely tell us if Passport is being produced by them or Foxconn is producing it now...

Posted via CB10
    You realize BlackBerry hasn't actually built devices internally for a number of years already. It's all outsourced to various contract manufacturers long before Foxconn
    09-02-14 07:11 PM
    They have a small facility they can make test devices at etc. It is just off the 401 in Cambridge or Kitchener I brought my Torch 9800 to get fixed there courtesy of one of my friends who works at RIM / BlackBerry now.

I would think it will be made in Mexico...at a contract facility just like my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 07:35 PM
    The original plan:

Low-end, high volume phones = Foxconn
    High margin, high end phones = Blackberry

"Despite what he views as the success of the Z3�s development, Mr. Chen said BlackBerry would continue to design the hardware and software for more expensive phones aimed at the European and North American markets, at least for now."

Of course plans do change...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/19/te...hift.html?_r=0
    According to your quote they could be designed by BlackBerry. This sounds like it could still be built by Foxconn or elsewhere.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 07:46 PM
    After having bought and used a Z3 quite frankly I am not anymore worried about the location where the Passport will be assembled.
    The quality of the Z3 is great so do not bother guys.. a part from a little label on the internals you won't notice the difference.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 09:47 PM
    hm does that mean that the Passport for Government will be better quality and cooler than the rest or just more secure ? : /
    Probably 'cause they can't 'guarantee' the security on the assembly line like they can here!

Possibly also enhanced quality, ehh!?
    09-05-14 10:33 PM
    Makes sense, I didn't think about that. But I wouldn't be afraid of Mexico either, I've had a Bold 9900 made in Mexico and it was perfectly fine, so as long as BlackBerry keeps an eye on the build quality, it would make sense to spare some money and make devices in countries where it's cheaper.

Heroiam slava!
    Amen
    09-05-14 11:10 PM
    I guess that one of the vendors who manufactures devices is Wistron.... who is a renowned device maker but can't compete to the scale of Foxconn

Posted via CB10... and my awesome Z10
    09-06-14 06:36 AM
49 12