I'm about to waste around $100-$175 on a Passport, just to tinker around with it for a few week to a month before the Key2 comes out or I subcomb and just get a Samsung S9.

I have read about all the app issues with BB10, mostly related to outdated android runtime, the illegality of BB updating it, and that BB has moved on fully to Android.

I'm just wondering if staying with old version of apps increase usability or will the apps forced updates crash everything? Can you turn off auto-updates?

Thanks
    06-09-18 12:48 PM
    Most, almost all, android apps don't auto update themselves because they rely on the Play Store for updates. Now is a good time to mess around with a PP, They aren't gettin any newer.
    06-09-18 01:00 PM
    I'm just wondering if staying with old version of apps increase usability or will the apps forced updates crash everything? Can you turn off auto-updates?
    Many older versions of android apps just won't work, period. Google services are required so that older versions (without GPServices) are unable to connect. Auto updates and whether you can turn them off are irrelevant. You can check the minimum android version in Google Play for each app that you want to use. If it's above android 4.3 then it won't work properly if at all.
    joewoo likes this.
    06-09-18 01:06 PM
    Most, almost all, android apps don't auto update themselves because they rely on the Play Store for updates. Now is a good time to mess around with a PP, They aren't gettin any newer.
    They are beautiful and I love the form factor, there are just a few apps that I really like to use such as OneNote, To-Do, FB Messenger (which I've heard has a lot of issues) and IG.

Are you saying sideloading on BB10 android apps won't auto update because you are outside of the play store ecosysem or that android apps simply never auto update? Mine auto updat all the time on regular android. I actually find it annoying!
    06-09-18 01:07 PM
    I'm about to waste around $100-$175 on a Passport, just to tinker around with it for a few week to a month before the Key2 comes out or I subcomb and just get a Samsung S9.

I have read about all the app issues with BB10, mostly related to outdated android runtime, the illegality of BB updating it, and that BB has moved on fully to Android.

Thanks
    It depends on the app itself. Many companies require the latest Android version of app for certain features to function. Other companies require minimum ART exceeding BB10 ART 4.3 due to security requirements and government regulations.

A Passport doesn’t buy you time for the Key2 if you need Android device. If you own a BB10 device already, you understand it’s current limitations. If you don’t own BB10 already, think of it like a Windows XP desktop or laptop computer somebody wants to sell. It won’t replace your Windows 7 or higher machine that you rely on for daily use in your life.
    06-09-18 01:10 PM
    Is it possible to save websites to the 'home screen' in BB10? If so, if basic browser function works, then I'm okay using certain websites. Which browsers are available, which work?
    06-09-18 01:11 PM
    It depends on the app itself. Many companies require the latest Android version of app for certain features to function. Other companies require minimum ART exceeding BB10 ART 4.3 due to security requirements and government regulations.

A Passport doesn’t buy you time for the Key2 if you need Android device. If you own a BB10 device already, you understand it’s current limitations. If you don’t own BB10 already, think of it like a Windows XP desktop or laptop computer somebody wants to sell. It won’t replace your Windows 7 or higher machine that you rely on for daily use in your life.
    I make my bread and butter on a laptop, so toying with a passport won't handicap me on the app in. I also have a backup android phone I can use. I get using limited software, I was a linux user on and off for 15 years, so the evil 3 days of trying to figure things out just to make it work like a mainstream OS has permeated my DNA.
    06-09-18 01:54 PM

Thanks
    If you install the whole Cobalt's Play Store stack of apps, the patched Play Store will only show you apps that will work on the 4.3 ART built into BB10. The Play Store does hold several versions of some apps for older android devices, and allow downloads for whatever device it's going to.

You can search for other apps that don't have older versions, but the Play Store will simply say that this version will not work on your device.

A lot of banking apps have moved to 4.4 or higher because of added security built into those versions. They simply no longer support 4.3 or older, and won't work on them.

I don't know if I'd say that it's "illegal" for BlackBerry to develop a newer ART... technically, they can do whatever they want.

Contractually, however, is how they are bound to the requirement to refrain from developing a newer ART (never mind that there is no one left to even work on it, anyway). I guess it's more of civil legal issue that would result in a lawsuit and lots of money.
    06-09-18 01:56 PM
    I make my bread and butter on a laptop, so toying with a passport won't handicap me on the app in. I also have a backup android phone I can use. I get using limited software, I was a linux user on and off for 15 years, so the evil 3 days of trying to figure things out just to make it work like a mainstream OS has permeated my DNA.
    From your OP I have no idea about your background, experience or resources.
    I’m just reading your questions. You’re waiting for Key2. It’s not out yet. Wait for it or get different new flagship android? Based on those facts, no BB10 device will do what a new Android device will do.

If you have a backup android device, then I’m not sure if you’re just asking if BB10 device is worth getting for $200 or less. I have no idea what your situation is. Since $200 is not a lot of money for hardware, go for it. All we know is that BB10 is EOL 12/31/2019 and we don’t know what functionality BB10 devices will have 01/01/2020. Nobody here that can say anything knows. Anybody that knows for sure isn’t allowed to say. I suspect even BlackBerry Ltd doesn’t know with certainty, the full domino effect. Since you have Android devices, who really cares, it's a toy, not a tool.
    06-09-18 06:06 PM
    From your OP I have no idea about your background, experience or resources.
    I’m just reading your questions. You’re waiting for Key2. It’s not out yet. Wait for it or get different new flagship android? Based on those facts, no BB10 device will do what a new Android device will do.

If you have a backup android device, then I’m not sure if you’re just asking if BB10 device is worth getting for $200 or less. I have no idea what your situation is. Since $200 is not a lot of money for hardware, go for it. All we know is that BB10 is EOL 12/31/2019 and we don’t know what functionality BB10 devices will have 01/01/2020. Nobody here that can say anything knows. Anybody that knows for sure isn’t allowed to say. I suspect even BlackBerry Ltd doesn’t know with certainty, the full domino effect. Since you have Android devices, who really cares, it's a toy, not a tool.
    Yeah I have the itch to try something different, unique, i unfortunately missed the golden age of BB devices. I'm intrigued by the Passport design.
    06-10-18 12:28 AM
    They are beautiful and I love the form factor, there are just a few apps that I really like to use such as OneNote, To-Do, FB Messenger (which I've heard has a lot of issues) and IG.

Are you saying sideloading on BB10 android apps won't auto update because you are outside of the play store ecosysem or that android apps simply never auto update? Mine auto updat all the time on regular android. I actually find it annoying!
    Android Facebook Messenger Lite works fine on BB10.

It's actually the Play Store app which updates automatically the Android apps, not the apps themselves.

Posted via CB10
    Mikey Compute likes this.
    06-10-18 03:59 AM
    android runtime is not longer available in bb appworld how can i do to delete my android apps i am using z10 stl100-1 with os10 3.2.2876 i tried to deleting from google id - android setting but this option doesn't work either... help plz
    06-10-18 04:12 PM
    Is it possible to save websites to the 'home screen' in BB10? If so, if basic browser function works, then I'm okay using certain websites. Which browsers are available, which work?
    Yes, this is possible with the built in browser.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-18 08:33 PM
    I'm actually thinking about a classic Q10 now because I am a written content creator and it would be great forcing myself to work slow just to get started early in the morning or late at night, so that i don't take my real work tools for granted. That way it is something that can fit into my life long-term in that simple capacity.
    06-10-18 09:25 PM
    android runtime is not longer available in bb appworld how can i do to delete my android apps i am using z10 stl100-1 with os10 3.2.2876 i tried to deleting from google id - android setting but this option doesn't work either... help plz
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/39879918
    06-10-18 09:44 PM
    Mine auto update all the time on regular android. I actually find it annoying!
    Go into Play Store -> 3 bars at top left -> Scroll down to Settings -> Auto-update Apps and switch it off
    06-17-18 08:48 AM
    Yea if you can get server going where you need. Ghost Commander is good for looking around in and out of it fake root mode to see attrib and hidden. It also lets you set activity name of a text editor, I used Helium
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59963952
    Really is a great app though highlighting and git can be shaky.
    apple-touch-icon even as base64 was all I needed for the icon. Browser can do that for you. vConsole a github repo, some tools to work with local storage and indexDB.

Can get very close to something like Jupyter Notebook.
    Other interesting android app is Mercury Browser. Lays 2 stuctures in devices misc folder.
    Ever copied it to SD after fresh install?

They are .maserver and Mercury.
    Weird made .access folder in sd/documents and automatically there was a .htaccess file.
    .hta will open in the browser I havent tried any markup or configuring. Some time ago I read about a "short circuit" effect by having headphones plugged in the device. I have no information to back it up but I like to remember that for luck.

Trying a 2 other places at once thing with -
    object from other files textareas,
    as source to render in iframe,
    set with 25mb per domain localStorage engine,
    jquery, backbone, underscore, codemirror, zipjs, and hexeditor.
    Should only be 1-3mb all together minified with bootstrap, 3 is nice 4 works just fine. Modernizr, Foundation looks great never used it though. I think BB website was using for some time.

Map the device structure and force what you want in or out.
    Ghost Commander from BB world runs very well with this process. Like Java should be. Also may help keep Japanese language loaded for a way to draw on th screen and use other chars. ₪

A torrent client would be cool. If it was fast enough.
    If you find anything goood share it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 06-17-18 at 12:13 PM.
    06-17-18 10:48 AM
    Helium activity name:
    com.Instudio.Helium.view

Posted via CB10
    06-17-18 11:10 AM
    One other android app kind of interesting.
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/23420886
    If they have lib for right ARM architecture and are not bloated, they run ok. 2 I mentioned dont hide much.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-18 11:21 AM