Got used to it in a matter of hours. I'm finding that I can type more accurate on the BlackBerry Passport than I could on any other BlackBerry 10 device.

You will get used to it.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 05:34 AM
    It took me a while to make the adjustment from the Q10.

Some unsolicited advice: Force yourself to use the keyboard mappings instead of tapping the screen to get letters and symbols (except for the common punctuation marks in the dedicated row). Use the long press on the 123 button to be able to enter a series of numbers and symbols, just as you'd use long press Alt on your Q10. And of course use the down swipe when you'd use a regular Alt press to type just one number or symbol. If you make yourself do it, you'll shorten the adjustment time.

The only things that are really different are the dedicated virtual punctuation row and flicking on predicted words. For me, left thumb flicking took the longest to master, but I'm pretty good at it now. I wasn't that good at it on the Z10 either...

I'm easily as fast on the Passport as I was on the Q10, but it did take a little time to get there.
    10-29-14 07:25 AM
    I am 24 hours into the Passport and I find the Keyboard OK... I don't love it yet, there is a learning curve, but I had no problem emailing, texting, Tweeting etc.... I think it will get faster with time and I like it.
    10-29-14 07:31 AM
    Is there a tutorial video for passport keyboard interactive. Learn how to use mouse?

Jaglenn's Passport
    10-29-14 09:11 AM
    Anyone else have a spacebar that feels too soft. Kinda like you have to press it all the way in for it to register and the other keys are just a quick tap?

I don't mind the size or location just it feels broken.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 09:23 AM
    Not me! Same as other keys! Maybe needs some use?

Jaglenn's Passport
    10-29-14 09:26 AM
    You will definitely get used to the keyboard. It takes a bit of time. Afterwards it's hard to go back to the q10.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 09:24 PM
    after a year and a half on a Q10 it took me a few hours to get used to the passport keyboard and a few days to get proficient enough to be able to type without looking. like I am right now. Typing on the Q feels weird and cramped now. it's not the phone, it's you.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 09:45 PM
    I am learning to tolerate the Passport keyboard, but would abandon it in a heartbeat if BB came out with a slider phone that offered a full physical keyboard.
    A Z30 slider with a full physical keyboard would be totally preferable to the Passport, for my needs.
    I don't care about the holdover elements that are tied to the old legacy phones. I'm not frustrated that this doesn't offer the "belt" that the Classic will have. I just want a phone with an actual physical keyboard and a large screen that can also be fully optimized for web pages and video.
    I regularly show my wife something that's neat about the Passport. And every time she asks, "So, are you going to keep it?" because she knows how much I also dislike about it. Sadly, there are no better options. Thankfully, much of what I dislike about it will hopefully be fixed in the upcoming OS update. It's not all about the keyboard.

You will definitely get used to the keyboard. It takes a bit of time. Afterwards it's hard to go back to the q10.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 08:39 AM
    That's too bad! I love the keyboard! I have to retrain my brain a bit but i t is definitely faster. I hated holding the Alt key for numbers on the Q10 so perhaps that's why!

Jaglenn's Passport
    10-30-14 02:24 PM
    I haven't used the Q10, so I don't have that perspective as a comparison. I used a Dell Venue Pro before this.

That's too bad! I love the keyboard! I have to retrain my brain a bit but i t is definitely faster. I hated holding the Alt key for numbers on the Q10 so perhaps that's why!

Jaglenn's Passport
    10-31-14 08:09 AM
    yes surely you will .. to me i already used to it in english .. and almost 100% used to it in Arabic .. as we have 2 extra letters which make the adaption a little different

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:40 PM
    I've now had my Passport for exactly 6 days. I'm coming from a Q10 and I love BlackBerry.

I've read how everyone says they get used to the keyboard on the Passport, but I just can't seem to do it. The keyboard isn't at all like any of their previous devices, and I keep mistyping all the time. It's really getting frustrating because I'm finding it to be a much slower typing experience. I really want to love this device but this is making it hard. It's hard to touch type like I can on my Q10 (I don't look at the screen for the predictive text in order to swipe up). The space bar is all wrong, and the layout of some of the virtual keys is puzzling (the location of the comma, the number pad without the zero below the 8, etc.) I can type way faster on my Q10, with it's conventional 4 row keyboard. It's not even close.

I love the 10.3 OS and the ability to use the keyboard as a giant track pad, I just wish I could type FAST on it! I know it takes getting used to (just like I had to get used to the small keyboard on my Torch back in 2010 when I was coming from a Bold), but how long does it take?

Thanks,
    I wouldn't worry. Don't try to use the same method to type as you did with the Q10. Don't use the swipe up feature yet. Get used to JUST typing on the keyboard. Forget any predictive text or swiping until you get comfortable with the keyboard alone. You'll get used to it.

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    Last edited by Coraya; 11-01-14 at 06:05 PM.
    11-01-14 04:50 PM

Jaglenn's Passport
    You don't have to hold ALT just press ALT then the LEFT SHIFT button. Number lock/Symbol lock. You can also do Caps Lock. Press ALT then press RIGHT SHIFT.

11-01-14 06:09 PM
    I am getting used to reading using the scroll on the keyboard.....but it doesn't seem to work in here.
    There is a trick for the CB app. Swipe down from the top, select account, then immediately close. Voila! Must be something to do with focus.

Posted via CB10
    Coraya likes this.
    11-01-14 10:13 PM
    With predictive text and auto-correction, the Z30 is probably the best and easiest device to type on.

I was rockin' over 65 wpm, acurrately on the Z30.

Hopefully a successor to the Z30 will be coming.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:34 PM
    Good tip, a lot of people don't know about num/sym lock. really helpful feature, esp if you're writing a lot of acronyms on your phone (I do)
    I've been using BlackBerry keyboard so long I'd be embarrassed NOT to know the num/sym/caps lock lol

11-02-14 05:18 AM
    how do you measure this?
    Probably that "Extreme Typist" game that's been floating around the forums recently but I definitely need to see the screenshot to believe it. Best I've done is 56.4wpm on my Q10.

Will I ever get used to this keyboard?-img_20141101_193409.png

11-02-14 05:21 AM
    I will never forget the supreme ease of a 9900 keyboard.
    My Z10 is marvellous, but not in the same league for typing.
    11-02-14 08:17 AM
    Is it just on my phone that the program "Extreme Typist" does not work properly? The words do not auto-advance when typed. Can only type 2 or 3 words before I can type no further.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:19 AM
    Is it just on my phone that the program "Extreme Typist" does not work properly? The words do not auto-advance when typed. Can only type 2 or 3 words before I can type no further.

Posted via CB10
    Make sure you turn off "extreme mode". It's a cool challenge concept but it doesn't work well.

11-02-14 12:20 PM
    Good tip, a lot of people don't know about num/sym lock. really helpful feature, esp if you're writing a lot of acronyms on your phone (I do)
    Good for locking for numbers for sure. But letters and numbers are a pain. I like the passport way better for this.

Jaglenn's Passport
    11-03-14 07:51 AM
    There is a trick for the CB app. Swipe down from the top, select account, then immediately close. Voila! Must be something to do with focus.

Posted via CB10
    That worked! Thanks! Love the scroll feature without having to touch the screen.

Jaglenn's Passport
    11-03-14 07:53 AM
    I am faster now on my passport than my z10 due to reduced errors. Much better than I had expected the first week in. Flying.

Posted with my 5 week old superb Passport!
    11-03-14 10:46 PM
74 123