I have to replace my laptop and thinking of going with Linux. Will BlackBerry Blend work with Linux?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-17 10:55 PM
    11-09-17 10:59 PM
    You can run Windows 7 in a virtual machine. But at that point it seems more trouble than it's worth.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-17 01:55 AM
    do more sir
    make your pc dualbood mode

 BlackBerry Z10 STL100-2 / 10.3.3.2163
    11-10-17 02:51 AM
    What does getting a new pc have to do with linux?
    And are we talking pc or laptop?
    Either way I would pay $10 on ebay for a W10 oem license as support for it is ultimately better and as someone says dual boot to linux if you really want. I just dual boot using cloudready and use chromeos instead for basic pc needs and go back to W10 for more( this has become rare these days). Cloudready is fast and easy.
    Also you can probably do this already with whatever old hw you have and see significant speed. Cloudready is kinda meant to be used on older hw.
    11-10-17 03:01 AM
    do more sir
    make your pc dualbood mode

 BlackBerry Z10 STL100-2 / 10.3.3.2163
    This - I have been using Ubuntu Linux and Windows in a dual-boot configuration for over 10 years. It means I can use Linux for 99.9% of my computing requirements and have Windows available for when I need BB Link, or to do certain other mobile-phone-related tasks. Doing it this way has meant I haven't needed to upgrade from Windows XP (!) as Ubuntu keeps itself nicely updated and is lower maintenance than Windows.

Be aware that certain programs (iTunes for example) are not yet available for Linux, but in most cases a workaround is available.

Setting up your dual-boot PC couldn't be easier, just install Windows as usual, having partitioned the drive as required to allow space for Linux afterwards. Then pop in a USB with Ubuntu on, and it takes you through everything, including the dual-boot setup.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    11-10-17 05:48 AM
    I have to replace my laptop and thinking of going with Linux. Will BlackBerry Blend work with Linux?

Posted via CB10
    As some friends mentioned here the best way would be dualboot and just one thing if you going to get a resent laptop (which is obvious) it will be with UEFI (considering your old one was bios) and UEFI on Linux side need a little bit more work.
    I personally have Linux full time(almost 10 year with my old buddy arch) and rarely need to do things with windows like reloading passport's OS which I have done with a live windows 10.
    For live windows you need a disk/iso of windows + flash drive(4GB minimum) + a software called Rufus
    The process is very easy and simple and the application is self-explanatory.
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/ link in case of further investigation

Posted via CB10
    11-10-17 07:42 AM
    @Mojarch

Do you have Arch on UEFI with Secure Boot on? I'm planning to put it on to my thinkpad T530. I got 2 SSD Sata on the machine.

I know this is not a BlackBerry related question but like to know since you have 10 years experience. What GUI you recommend?

Thanks in advance

BOOMessaging from My Red Blackberry Passport
    11-10-17 09:03 AM
    @Mojarch

Do you have Arch on UEFI with Secure Boot on? I'm planning to put it on to my thinkpad T530. I got 2 SSD Sata on the machine.

I know this is not a BlackBerry related question but like to know since you have 10 years experience. What GUI you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Hi
    Yes I do have it on UEFI and secure boot on!
    But I do use systemd boot instead of GRUB and by that you have to adress everything manually.
    Currently I've using Gnome but GUI is a little bit personal and how they test to you.
    I suggest search on net and check how they feel and than choose one
    If you need more help you can mail me(just in case OP and other maybe bothered by us)
    Maemo5d@gmail.com

Posted via CB10
    11-10-17 10:16 AM
    @Mojarch

Yes. I did read about that boot loader. Was using Grub in a dual boot scenario before but never try arch and now I want to. Heard good things about it.

I feel like I need to do more reading in arch wiki but some of the context is not as easy to understand maybe as I am still relatively novice.

Have work this weekend but will read a bit more and give it a go early next week.

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate the effort and you could get a question or two from me. :-)

I'm considering using arch with either KDE or xfce for UI. Saw a lot of customisation that looks great

11-10-17 03:44 PM
    @Mojarch

Yes. I did read about that boot loader. Was using Grub in a dual boot scenario before but never try arch and now I want to. Heard good things about it.

I feel like I need to do more reading in arch wiki but some of the context is not as easy to understand maybe as I am still relatively novice.

Have work this weekend but will read a bit more and give it a go early next week.

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate the effort and you could get a question or two from me. :-)

I'm considering using arch with either KDE or xfce for UI. Saw a lot of customisation that looks great

Ok
    Hope you enjoy it.
    If you need anything just mail me I'll reply asap.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-17 11:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    I use Linux and found that you can install the architecture that Blend needs. I've installed the architecture and have yet to try installing BlackBerry software. I've also found other Linux BlackBerry software, and then that BB10 doesn't really need Blend - in my experience
    11-11-17 07:30 PM
    I have win7 running under libvirtd (qemu/kvm) and one USB port reserved to that VM. That's how I use Link and Blend from that Linux workstation. The workstation has plenty of RAM (32gb) which, as always with VMs, can make a radical difference on the usability.

On a laptop, I would perhaps opt more for VirtualBox as hypervisor. Bottom line is, yes you can run Blend in a VM.

Blend doesn't work under Wine and won't run anytime soon due to the .NET dependencies. I tried, for fun.

An alternative is to go for win10 and run Linux under hyper-v.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    berradicted_fr likes this.
    11-15-17 06:27 PM
    Look at Wine (software) on Linux. I can't say for sure if it works for Blend, but it's worth a shot.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-17 10:58 PM
    This question would be better asked in the apps forum as it has nothing to do with using your Passport.
    11-29-17 08:43 PM