Just curious what you guys think? It just seems that the wide availability of android apps will eliminate any future development of native blackberry applications. It's a concern, because everything being equal I vastly prefer native apps that can take advantage of blackberry's unique features. But, for example, why should some company like Adobe invest resources into developing or maintaining a separate blackberry app if the android version of their app works and is "good enough" on blackberry? I suppose some specialty apps that are only available as blackberry apps would find it cheaper to maintain their presence in blackberry world and keep updating the native code when updates are needed.

Maybe it doesn't matter, Maybe that's blackberry's strategy. Switch entirely to the android app ecosystem and just maintain blackberry world for specialty business applications (like the cool medical imaging apps they showed off). Let people get most of their generic/fun apps from an android store.

But i'm old enough to have been a fan of OS/2 Warp. It suffered from the same problem as blackberry, a lack of native apps. Oh, it had a few native apps that were incredible (open chat with the gemz script is still, 20 years later, the best irc client ever written imo), but mainly it couldn't compete with windows. But, OS/2 had the ability to run windows 3.1 apps. All the apps you could want. Except, that once os/2 warp started getting its niche of followers, Microsoft kept updating windows in ways that broke the os/2 compatibility. OS/2 was always playing catch up. And when windows95 came out, that pretty much killed os/s as a viable platform. There just weren't any modern apps that could run on it.

Maybe it's different now that android is more open. But it seems in some ways not the best idea to tie the success of your product to the benevolence of your competitor. Anyway, I hope that I'm wrong, and that blackberry makes a comeback and that its success drives the development of more native apps. I'm certainly glad that the app gap is closed, and honestly I doubt I would have bought a passport without the android runtime to close the app gap. But still, i'm going to try to support the developers of native apps whenever they give me a viable choice.
    Chrisy and Daxiong135 like this.
    10-05-14 12:16 PM
    i dont think so. there are many many users including me who prefer Native apps than Android apps. yes i agree that its a nice move by BlackBerry for filling app gap but still i prefer native apps over Android ones.
    Chrisy, Mecca EL and Sridhar M like this.
    10-05-14 12:22 PM
    I'd definitely prefer Native to Android even if it's direct download rather then APK. But it will definitely change BlackBerry App World.

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-05-14 12:24 PM
    I prefer BlackBerry native apps over android apps , though I see the initiative from BlackBerry as extremely positive to give options for android apps to their consumers...

Posted via CB10 on my Z30 running on OS 10.3.0.1154
    Chrisy and Mecca EL like this.
    10-05-14 12:27 PM
    I prefer native apps. Amazon app is in a useless folder on my Z30. I don't mind supporting developers who wants to build apps for BlackBerry. Am all for it. Just let me know hail BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 12:27 PM
    I actually think that if all goes very well, it will have the opposite effect. BB10 was not a viable platform for lots of people without their apps (food ordering, online banking, social networking, etc). Having access to my bank and walgreens prescriptions makes the Passport a choice as my primary phone.

Now that 10.3 lets us use the apps we depend on, many more potential customers could join the ecosystem. If that happens, companies will want their apps to have rich native experiences on this platform.

So if it goes well, we need to beef up the user base with not-quite-native apps, and then there will be new incentives for even better native apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 12:33 PM
    I think alot of BB users will only use native apps. The android apps are still very patchy/buggy on 10.3...
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-05-14 12:37 PM
    i dont think so. there are many many users including me who prefer Native apps than Android apps. yes i agree that its a nice move by BlackBerry for filling app gap but still i prefer native apps over Android ones.
    I think it will kill the BlackBerry App Store for a while. Until BlackBerry sales go up (in part due to Amazon App Store closing the gap), and developers and companies start seeing profit in making apps for BlackBerry phones.

I always prefer BlackBerry native, but an Android app is better than none. Right?
    10-05-14 12:52 PM
    Yes it will. You don't get updates often enough in BlackBerry World anylonger.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 02:36 PM
    I would never pay for android apps. It's great for free apps and amazon giveaways but if something has a cost then it has to be native for me and probably most blackberry owners.
    Sridhar M likes this.
    10-05-14 02:44 PM
    With Adobe Air support going away with 10.3.1, some developers have either abandoned BB10 completely or will only convert a portion of their apps to HTML5/WebWorks. So unless someone else steps to the plate with similar BB10 apps to replace those apps, Amazon App Store (as well as Google Play via Snap for those apps not on Amazon) will be where BB10 users go for alternatives.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    10-05-14 04:10 PM
    I think so
    01-27-15 05:33 PM
    It would appear so based on all of the current evidence. BlackBerry World is barely in use any more. All new apps that are being added are garbage and there has been an increasing number of scam apps being published. Here is one example...

Will the amazon app store kill the blackberry world app store?-img_20150125_151913.png
    Will the amazon app store kill the blackberry world app store?-img_20150125_151910.png
    Will the amazon app store kill the blackberry world app store?-img_20150125_151851.png
    Will the amazon app store kill the blackberry world app store?-img_20150125_151823.png
    Will the amazon app store kill the blackberry world app store?-img_20150125_151815.png

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 05:36 PM
    I prefer native, hardly side load apps other than pandora

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 06:02 PM
    Native all the way.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 08:46 PM
    Native any given day

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 03:26 AM
    I actually find more and more interesting native apps

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    01-28-15 03:56 AM
    Native only on my passport.

CB10 Passporter
    01-28-15 03:59 AM
    No, because they both are useless and have no apps...

Google play is the way to go.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 05:14 AM
    Nope, it won't. Native apps are much better and we see lot's of native apps arriving every week. BlackBerry users must suppport the devs of native apps.
    01-28-15 05:26 AM
    No, because they both are useless and have no apps...

Google play is the way to go.

Posted via CB10
    The ignorance is high in this one.
    stevobbm likes this.
    01-28-15 05:43 AM
    Haha...BlackBerry world has very few apps. And a lot apps we can get from google play but with the same apps or similar apps you need to buy them in BlackBerry world....why would I pay for something if I can get for free..
    And also update is very slow or even no update with BlackBerry world.

Amazon also has very few apps...let me know if there are any apps you can find on amazon but not on google play? Maybe there is, but percentage would be very small I guess?

The native apps also have bugs I'd rather use the same android apps.
    For example I use wechat, the native app has problem when I try to open the micro message or voice message, screen turns blackout and no sound. No problem with android version although it is a bit slower.

Native facebook cannot delete search result of whom you searched for..maybe I didn't find that function? But the android version can.

Well these are just two examples for me and there are many more.

I personally like the phone very much but these small problems with apps irritates me. A good phone also needs software support. Why Nokia is dead now? I guess if they could have switched to android before they went to windows phone they would not be like now....

At least BlackBerry is slowly making progress, good to see. It cannot really get worse, can it? I know BlackBerry is not an android phone but the reality is that most developers are making software for ios and android. That's why bb10 is made compatible with most android apps..

I don't know how long is it going to take for BlackBerry world to catch up with apple store or google play...but for now I have to use android apps...who would want to outsource if we can use native apps...but the quality and quantity for native apps....eish...

Above is my own opinion, anyone is welcome to share and discuss your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 07:50 AM
    If I ever get around to making my app it would be BlackBerry exclusive because most of the market runs BlackBerry and iOS, at least in Canada.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    01-28-15 08:29 AM
    Getting into bed with Amazon was a smart move as a stop gap for the lack of apps on Blackberry World. However, as reply posts suggest, many prefer native apps. I do too.
    01-28-15 08:52 AM
    Nope, Amazon store sucks. But Google Play maybe

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 09:25 AM
27 12