With the vault7 just released by Wikileaks, I'm noticing the absence of qnx and blackberry Os10. While it's probably not difficult for the govt to hack maybe, the scale of use probably means a lot of resources won't be spent for exploits. So yes to more bb10. And for those calling people conspiracy nuts for being paranoid, I'm loving the Wikileaks leaks just for exposing a bit on the deficiencies of android. Passport users need to rest easy a bit.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 12:22 PM
    Yes, CIA can get into any Windows computer!? We should move this to the general discussion section.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 12:51 PM
    So let's hope bb10 will stay in the shadows so no one would even think of finding the security flaws on it
    03-07-17 01:03 PM
    So let's hope bb10 will stay in the shadows so no one would even think of finding the security flaws on it
    The ethical thing to do with searching for a flaw is to discover it, notify the manufacturer, wait for a patch and then disclose, but Step 3 is never going to happen in this lifetime.

I hope BlackBerry wouldn't take any advice from PwC: http://www.zdnet.com/article/pwc-sen...-security-flaw
    03-07-17 01:07 PM
    QNX is extremely specific. It's usually used in special hardware like industrial machines or medical equipment. BB10 is a rare exception, but it's still isn't popular. There was no need to hack it. Also, a microkernel architecture makes process much more difficult. If you've found an exploit in one OS component, it'll be your "sandbox" as you still can't access another system parts.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 01:17 PM
    The ethical thing to do with searching for a flaw is to discover it, notify the manufacturer, wait for a patch and then disclose, but Step 3 is never going to happen in this lifetime.

I hope BlackBerry wouldn't take any advice from PwC: http://www.zdnet.com/article/pwc-sen...-security-flaw
    "Ethical" haha. Definitely depends on how much 0days fetch these days on the market. But I'm guessing for bb10 not so much so ethical card can be played.

Posted via CB10
    Paul Callahan likes this.
    03-07-17 01:17 PM
    "Ethical" haha. Definitely depends on how much 0days fetch these days on the market. But I'm guessing for bb10 not so much so ethical card can be played.

Posted via CB10
    Today's Year Zero was just a slice it seems. Who knows, there might be some bored CIA nerd with a penchant for archaeology who cracked BB10 open like a coconut.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-07-17 01:19 PM
    Today's Year Zero was just a slice it seems. Who knows, there might be some bored CIA nerd with a penchant for archaeology who cracked BB10 open like a coconut.
    "Archeology" I see what you did there . we're not even done digesting the "legacy" zinger

Posted via CB10
    Paul Callahan likes this.
    03-07-17 01:38 PM
    It must hurt badly... to see android (and windows and IOS) so thoroughly thrashed in these leaks..
    Also that part about using apps to plant Spyware on consumer devices...
    Tinfoils everywhere..

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 09:22 PM
    It must hurt badly... to see android (and windows and IOS) so thoroughly thrashed in these leaks..
    Also that part about using apps to plant Spyware on consumer devices...
    Tinfoils everywhere..

Posted via CB10
    No, Ted, not really.

As has been said countless times (whether it sank in is a different question), you're gonna get tracked, by someone. Websites, OEMs, and now the government (not that it was a secret). You can feel safe in your usual tweezer-assisted onanistic frenzy about the superiority of BB10 and how Google AdSense is the second Holocaust or some other reason why lead paint is bad. Enjoy the validation; BlackBerry shows up eight times in Vault 7 and none of those instances have any relevance to exploits, just asides from articles about how irrelevant BlackBerry is.

The fact that should be inscribed on a diamond tipped drill is that it's impossible short of moving to a cabin in Montana to completely avoid any government or non-government entity noting something down. It's a transaction. What do I get out of, say, Google services? Quite a lot; off site backup for media and files, easy syncing, an app store that actually has worthwhile offerings, things normal people use. What would I get out of tinfoil hattery? High blood pressure, paranoia, and a God complex.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-08-17 02:45 AM
    Who's buying the Key1 with all of its security flaws and drawbacks

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and The_Passporter like this.
    03-08-17 03:28 AM
    QNX is extremely specific. It's usually used in special hardware like industrial machines or medical equipment. BB10 is a rare exception, but it's still isn't popular. There was no need to hack it. Also, a microkernel architecture makes process much more difficult. If you've found an exploit in one OS component, it'll be your "sandbox" as you still can't access another system parts.

Posted via CB10
    I'd love to have some expanded information on this, it's fascinating. I tried to make a thread about this very subject but it hasn't picked up steam.

Curious, what about QNX in cars? We now also know that the CIA has the ability to remotely control motorvehicles and aircraft, potentially using them as tools of assassination. Or is QNX only used for entertainment systems and dashboard instrument clusters?

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 10:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'd love to hear more about this in detail.

What about QNX's presence in cars? We now also know that the CIA can remotely control cars and planes.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 10:27 AM
    No, Ted, not really.

As has been said countless times (whether it sank in is a different question), you're gonna get tracked, by someone. Websites, OEMs, and now the government (not that it was a secret). You can feel safe in your usual tweezer-assisted onanistic frenzy about the superiority of BB10 and how Google AdSense is the second Holocaust or some other reason why lead paint is bad. Enjoy the validation; BlackBerry shows up eight times in Vault 7 and none of those instances have any relevance to exploits, just asides from articles about how irrelevant BlackBerry is.

The fact that should be inscribed on a diamond tipped drill is that it's impossible short of moving to a cabin in Montana to completely avoid any government or non-government entity noting something down. It's a transaction. What do I get out of, say, Google services? Quite a lot; off site backup for media and files, easy syncing, an app store that actually has worthwhile offerings, things normal people use. What would I get out of tinfoil hattery? High blood pressure, paranoia, and a God complex.
    Looks like your blood pressure is already very high by merely writing the rant above.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by sorinv; 03-09-17 at 09:35 PM.
    03-08-17 08:27 PM
    @sorinv:
    Ha. Yes. I can imagine the moustache tip-twirling while composing such a pedantic statement. Lots of effort, there.
    03-09-17 07:45 AM
    Actually, QNX is mentioned:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/03/08/ci...e-target-hack/

And BlackBerry has already responded:

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2017/03/...uard-your-car/

Posted from my  BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-10-17 07:31 AM
    Actually, QNX is mentioned:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/03/08/ci...e-target-hack/

And BlackBerry has already responded:

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2017/03/...uard-your-car/

Posted from my  BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    I was focused on the mobile space but this just shows how much the CIA is the enemy of progress. Cars connected to the Internet should be the future, and nobody should wear a tinfoil hat thinking that the government possesses the power to kill them with their vehicles. With this news though, I just tightened the old tin foil and will stock manual trucks for the future lol jk

Posted via CB10
    gizmo21 likes this.
    03-10-17 08:42 AM
    Guess no one really cares about this since normal people won't become the target of CIA. But it still makes me a little bit happy. Maybe it is due to the very ZERO market share? Haha

Posted via CB10
    03-10-17 10:57 AM
    Guess no one really cares about this since normal people won't become the target of CIA. But it still makes me a little bit happy. Maybe it is due to the very ZERO market share? Haha

Posted via CB10
    depends on the state of the economy in this dystopian future of driverless cars. "normal" people might find themselves at the other end of the law.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-10-17 11:13 AM
    Very good point. And again, people don't know.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-17 11:15 AM
    Truth is every form of surveillance whether CIA or data collection from NSA jeopardizes and erodes free speech now or in the future. I'm so appalled by people who prefer comfort over the protection of rights. Maybe I'm "normal" now eating my large bacon and fries burger in silence, but who knows, I might want to be an activist against the government or any corporation in the future....

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ryder55; 03-10-17 at 06:34 PM.
    03-10-17 11:42 AM
    Truth is every form of surveillance whether CIA or data collection from NSA jeopardizes and erodes free speech now or in the future. I'm so appalled by people who prefer comfort over the protection of rights. Maybe I'm "normal" now eating my large bacon and fries burger in silence, but who knows, I might want to be an activist against the government or any cooperation in the future....

Posted via CB10
    You might feel differently if the lives of your family were saved as a result of NSA monitoring.

There is a balance somewhere. Privacy and freedom has a complex relationship with safety and security.
    03-10-17 11:48 AM
    NSA monitoring has done nothing but complicate the lives of ordinary Americans in the name of global security. Trading in privacy for security is not something I believe in. But that's politics.

Posted via CB10
    fatclue_98 and Mecca EL like this.
    03-10-17 12:13 PM
    NSA monitoring has done NOTHING but complicate the lives of ordinary Americans...

Posted via CB10
    [citation needed]
    03-10-17 12:17 PM
    Does this mean the keyone is safe or not safe?
    03-10-17 03:07 PM
57 123