Hi everyone,

I have an unlocked passport running on t mobile. I have LTE, and pretty good overall service. At my house I have some dead spots, I have not been able to get wifi calling to work, I have downloaded talktone app, which is an Internet phone app. My question is how/why does this work but not carrier supported wifi calling. The talktone app gives you a phone number different than my regular cell number.
    Thanks for any thoughts.....
    Chuck

Posted via CB10
    04-10-15 07:20 AM
    I am also using an unlocked Passport on T-Mobile. To the best of my knowledge, this problem is the result of T-Mobile not providing ongoing support for BB devices, it's last supported OS version being a variant of 10.2.1. As a result, BB running a later version of the OS, including the Passport (shipped with 10.3) will not be able to use T-Mobile's wifi calling app.

Hopefully, they'll work out their differences and we can get it back, as it did work rather well for me with a Z10 on 10.2.1. I will also note that if you do a search of the forums, you will find some who may have gotten it to work for them with methods requiring more tech know-how or patience than I currently possess. Good luck.
    04-10-15 08:58 AM
    WiFi calling won't work unless, as stated above, Tmobile relaxes the same product within their lineup. This is the one downside to having an unlocked phone. The WiFi calling is baked into the OS itself if you want to utilize the same number that you have on Tmobile. Unless you don't mind about the phone number thing then you could use another app to handle your WiFi calling but it may result with a different phone number.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-15 10:35 AM
    You can call out over wifi using your mobile number with the Vonage app from the Google Play store. Talkatone also works great but you have to use a different number.
    04-10-15 08:29 PM
    T-Mo has to bake in WiFi calling into the OS, Passport's isn't T-Mo branded, so no WiFi calling.

What plan do you have? Get a CelFi RS3 LTE signal booster, customer support will loan you one. Will take care of those dead spots and give your entire place full bars.
    04-11-15 09:38 AM
    I heard wifi calling can drain more batteries. I have tmobile and don't really need wifi calling unless you have really bad signal.
    04-11-15 02:43 PM
    Have you tried getting the bar file and loading it thru sachesi

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 03:58 PM
    T-Mo has to bake in WiFi calling into the OS, Passport's isn't T-Mo branded, so no WiFi calling.
    Just to clarify this, wifi calling is baked into every release of BB10. It's part of the IMS spec used for VoLTE. T-Mo doesn't allow wifi calling with other devices because of support costs and their fallout with BlackBerry. They could if they wanted and absolutely nothing in the OS would have to change. And, unbranded devices absolutely work with wifi calling so long as they're either a Z10 STL100-3 or Q10 SQN100-5 variant running an OS recognized by T-Mo's service database.

T-Mo writes zero code or apps for BB10. It's all done by BlackBerry. The T-Mo wifi calling app is a generic app written by BB with T-Mo branding.

Have you tried getting the bar file and loading it thru sachesi
    Installing the WFC bar file will not enable the service on a Passport.

[CB10 / Q10]
    04-12-15 01:00 AM
    I have a Z30 and two Passports on T-Mobile and none of them have the WiFi Calling that my Z10 and Q10 that I bought from T-Mobile did.

I honestly doubt it will ever be available for these devices since T-Mobile doesn't even sell these phones.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 01:23 AM