As soon as I switched to the passport I got a funny message saying my phone has built in WiFi calling. Called fido and they set it up for me. Apparently they had to add the feature on my account. All is good now...simple as that!

I've seen some posts regarding this so it might be as easy as calling your provider and having it activated.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 10:22 PM
    That is good news. Is the passport from the carrier or other?
    10-13-15 10:31 PM
    So I assume you are paying extra now

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2789
    10-13-15 11:03 PM
    Nothing extra and it's from blackberry unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-14-15 01:20 AM
    As soon as I switched to the passport I got a funny message saying my phone has built in WiFi calling. Called fido and they set it up for me. Apparently they had to add the feature on my account. All is good now...simple as that!

I've seen some posts regarding this so it might be as easy as calling your provider and having it activated.

Posted via CB10
    What is your OS? I am with Fido also but having Z30 with latest OS that apparently comes wifi calling...
    10-14-15 07:46 AM
    I'm on 10.3.2.2474 latest official os. The people from fido said they have to add the feature. Doesn't cost anything except for the extra data incurred which is minimal. I think he said that an hour WiFi call consumes something like 75 mb.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 08:30 AM
    I just called them and they said no problem. I guess it is because wifi calling minutes/text is taken off your monthly bill so they don't care...The only benefits is hen you travel and calling/texting to Canada you don't pay long distance but those minutes/texts also will be deducted from your monthly plans.
    I thought it is like what used to be available to BB through UMA before. :-(
    10-14-15 09:11 AM
    I just called them and they said no problem. I guess it is because wifi calling minutes/text is taken off your monthly bill so they don't care...The only benefits is hen you travel and calling/texting to Canada you don't pay long distance but those minutes/texts also will be deducted from your monthly plans.
    I thought it is like what used to be available to BB through UMA before. :-(
    Its also good for coverage holes.
    My brother lives in the burbs and his reception is fairly lousy in house house and pathetic in his basement(where his office is).
    WIFI calling would be a good option there.
    SIP is also a good option but one thing WIFI calling can do that sip can't is transition between the WIFI and cellular networks without dropping the call, its a small thing but a cool thing.
    10-14-15 09:29 AM
    That's why I'm excited. I work from home sometimes and the reception in the basement is horrible! I tried it last night in the lowest part of our 4 level split and it worked flawless. Awesome!

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-14-15 09:34 AM
    Its also good for coverage holes.
    My brother lives in the burbs and his reception is fairly lousy in house house and pathetic in his basement(where his office is).
    WIFI calling would be a good option there.
    SIP is also a good option but one thing WIFI calling can do that sip can't is transition between the WIFI and cellular networks without dropping the call, its a small thing but a cool thing.
    +1^
    10-14-15 09:43 AM
    That's why I'm excited. I work from home sometimes and the reception in the basement is horrible! I tried it last night in the lowest part of our 4 level split and it worked flawless. Awesome!

Posted via CB10
    Its really cool that Fido does this.
    They have a very good network with good penetration and Wifi calling.
    But it is still the vertical integration trap.
    10-14-15 09:43 AM
    From Fido site:

- Wi-Fi calls and msgs still come from your Fido number with your usage being deducted from your monthly airtime/messaging bucket.
    - Wi-Fi Calling is easy to set up and doesn�t require you to download an app.
    - With Wi-Fi Calling, you�ll be able to access your contact list directly from your phone, making it faster and easier to make and track the history of your calls and msgs.
    - To use Wi-Fi Calling, you must have access to a public or private Wi-Fi connection.
    - It�s important to remember that minimum download and upload speeds are necessary to support voice calls and that some Wi-Fi connections may not support this service.
    - To give you sense of how much data is used, a one-hour Wi-Fi voice call made will consume approximately 75 MB of data through the Wi-Fi connection.
    - When you make Wi-Fi calls while connected to your internet service, you�ll be consuming data over the Wi-Fi connection. Internet service charges and overage rates (if applicable) apply in accordance with your internet service provider.
    - Ensure you complete your call before moving from a Wi-Fi zone to a mobile network and vice versa to avoid having your call drop or having to reconnect your call.
    - Calls to 9-1-1 will always be made over the mobile network when there�s cellular coverage available
    - When there�s no cell coverage, the 9-1-1 call will be made over Wi-Fi and you�ll need to immediately inform the 9-1-1 operator of your location.
    - It�s crucial to a update your 9-1-1 Emergency Address in your Wi-Fi Calling settings because the 9-1-1 operator will be unable to detect your location when making a 9-1-1 call over Wi-Fi, so will use your most recently entered Emergency address.
    - Wi-Fi Calling can�t support emergency calls made outside of Canada or the United States.
    10-14-15 09:44 AM
    Its really cool that Fido does this.
    They have a very good network with good penetration and Wifi calling.
    Yeah, too bad I can not test it now to see if it works... no wifi at work.. :-(
    Last edited by fadmin; 10-14-15 at 10:16 AM.
    10-14-15 09:45 AM
    Just stepped out and connected my z30 to starbucks wifi... nada. :-(
    10-14-15 11:04 AM
    Just stepped out and connected my z30 to starbucks wifi... nada. :-(
    They block ports which is disappointing.
    10-14-15 11:13 AM
    They block ports which is disappointing.
    It is, but makes sense for them.
    10-14-15 11:29 AM
    Has anyone in the uk tried this wifi calling? And how does one set this up?

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 11:44 AM
    Just tried calling Rogers who owns Fido and they said it's not available.. Any further details would be appreciated... I could really use WiFi calling as my reception isn't great.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 12:15 PM
    It is, but makes sense for them.
    What sense does it make for them?
    10-14-15 12:23 PM
    Preserve internet speed and bandwidth for other customers...
    Last edited by fadmin; 10-14-15 at 12:53 PM.
    10-14-15 12:39 PM
    Just tried calling Rogers who owns Fido and they said it's not available.. Any further details would be appreciated... I could really use WiFi calling as my reception isn't great.

Posted via CB10
    God I am glad I left Robbers...Not sure why not, Fido does offer this and free of charge. And them going through Rogers network, don't see why it would not be available. Unless it is related to another money grab scam, that they are famous for.
    It seems it is available on small businesses...
    Rogers Wi-Fi Calling | Small Business

There is this as well:
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/08/19/ro...running-ios-9/
    10-14-15 12:53 PM
    That's crazy I can't believe that! I don't know how they think sometimes?? Doesn't make sense.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 12:56 PM
    Preserve internet speed and bandwidth for other customers...
    I have a hunch you can make a Skype call on the same network.
    10-14-15 01:35 PM
    So... I called Rogers again... I have a small business plan. They added WiFi calling to my account for $10/mth... however.. so far it hasn't worked... I have rebooted 2x

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 01:53 PM
    FYI Telus also has wifi calling! I got provisioned today. Its free. You will need to have the Google Play Store installed (See Cobalts Instructions)

Working fine for me
    10-14-15 10:54 PM
42 12