It seems some people carry a second phone along with some sort of blackberry. I just don't see the point. Anything the Passport or any bb10 phone can't do, or at least not do well, is much better suited to a tablet or a laptop.
    For me, I don't use anything else much but I do have both a desktop Mac and a Dell Windows 8.1 tablet/netbook.
    Anything an iPhone can do a little better than a Passport, an iPad or other tablet can do much better.

Of course, there is much less reason to use any sort of tablet these days, but I see no reason to carry two phones though.

But everyone has different needs so let me know what you think.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 10:33 AM
    Yeah...never quite understood that. I'm still trying to sell my s4 because I don't understand carrying 2 phones

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 10:34 AM
    There are plenty of mobile apps that you would want to have on your phone rather than use a tablet. For example, all the new home automation devices that do everything from unlock doors, control thermostats, check who's ringing the doorbell, etc. I turn my heat/AC off during the day to save money and turn it on whenever I'm on my way back to my house.

The real question is whether people are going to want to continue to carry around a smartphone that doesn't have the apps they need.
    01-12-15 10:45 AM
    tablet is much bigger than an additional phone. There are many apps that BB doesnt have even with the android player that are on iOS or need google services for android. Thus 2 phones are needed. Also many work phones dont allow facebook or instagram. Some dont allow any app that operates using the internet. Anyway there are many great reasons for a second phone. You just dont notice these points because they dont affect you.
    21stNow likes this.
    01-12-15 10:46 AM
    yeah, I agree with howarmat!

Since many Android apps downloaded from Play Store either won�t work at all on Passport 10.3.1 or only with severly reduced functionality, I�ve been considering myself to buy a cheap Android phone just for these apps. Tablet would be too cumbersome to carry under many circumstances.
    01-12-15 10:51 AM
    tablet is much bigger than an additional phone. There are many apps that BB doesnt have even with the android player that are on iOS or need google services for android. Thus 2 phones are needed. Also many work phones dont allow facebook or instagram. Some dont allow any app that operates using the internet. Anyway there are many great reasons for a second phone. You just dont notice these points because they dont affect you.
    Good points.
    And yes, just because I don't see a reason, doesn't mean the valid reasons don't exist.

Thanks for the responses.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 10:52 AM
    There are plenty of mobile apps that you would want to have on your phone rather than use a tablet. For example, all the new home automation devices that do everything from unlock doors, control thermostats, check who's ringing the doorbell, etc. I turn my heat/AC off during the day to save money and turn it on whenever I'm on my way back to my house.

The real question is whether people are going to want to continue to carry around a smartphone that doesn't have the apps they need.
    Do the android versions of those not work? With 10.3.1 everything is working for me but that wasn't always the case.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 10:53 AM
    I carry two phones (z10 & z30) but obviously not for the apps (Have not found one I need that does not run on my BlackBerry)

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 10:53 AM
    I use a couple of apps that:

1. either don't run at all on my BlackBerry, for example
    MapMyRide,
    Endomondo (I use a lot the map function and it doesn't show in the amazon store version),
    SleepBot (cannot login to the cloud)
    Google Hangouts
    Nokia maps (offline walk turn by turn navigation)
    Google maps (almost anything else)
    Base.be voicemail app (my network provider)
    ING.be banking app
    BKK futar (official transportation app in Budapest)
    Mol Bubi (public bike transportation)

2. Run on my passport, but either drain the battery, or are buggy
    Skype (an hour or two call drains the battery so, that I need to replug)
    Tune In Radio (slow)
    Sparkpeople (buggy functioning of text entry)
    Reference apps, English, German, French dictionaries
    Spotify
    Anything about offline mapping that uses openstreetmaps are extremely slow

This is not much use in time %, but it's annoying that I cannot check the status of my bank account or look for an ATM on my passport.

The other reason is the size. When walking, it's difficult to take a call with the BlackBerry passport.
    For exercise, like gym, running, biking, it's uncomfortable with the Passport.

The third reason is single sim support in the passport. I travel a lot for business, and it means I use a local sim for data, and receive calls on other sims, too. I don't have a work and personal sim, but most of my friends do.

So, I have a cheap android phone from Acer, it has three sim slots, can run skype video and all the rest in parallel without problems, has a longer battery life, fits in my hand and pocket when walking/exercising.

Posted via CB10
    93Aero likes this.
    01-12-15 11:00 AM
    Why would you need a second phone for apps?-img_20150112_180740.jpg

Why would you need a second phone for apps?-img_20150112_180807.jpg

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 11:08 AM
    I carry one for work and one for personal.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 01:46 PM
    I carry one for work and one for personal.

Posted via CB10
    I suppose a lot of people do.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:11 PM
    You do not "need" a second phone, users simply choose to use two.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    01-12-15 04:15 PM
    I NEED a second phone or tablet because I have several apps that are either not available for BB10/Android (medical journal apps) or don't run well at all (HandBase). These apps are crucial for my clinical work.
    01-12-15 04:21 PM
    I have two phone numbers. One for work and one for personal. Both are also under different carriers. Thus the need for two phones.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 05:43 PM
    Looking at the passport for personal use! Hope it will be ok?
    01-12-15 07:05 PM
    For work I need a particular practice management app available only on iOS. Other than that, I use my iPhone 6 Plus for calling as my primary and personal line. I use my Verizon Z30 on at&t for email and text messaging as my secondary and work line. Given the poor battery life of my Apple device, it's good that my BlackBerry device sips battery juice to give nice longevity between charges.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 07:51 PM
    Looking at the passport for personal use! Hope it will be ok?
    It is for me. No laptop, no tablet, no other phone. Just the passport and remote login and ssh in work Linux computer. All my data on my 160 Gbyte passport which also acts as my music player, book reader and live TV streamer . No cloud!
    01-12-15 08:06 PM
    Because my first phone is a boring, work-issued, locked down BB that can only do calls, SMS, and email.

Posted from an ME173X
    01-12-15 08:19 PM
    Most of my reasons have already been posted. It would take you seeing the apps on iphone and how seamlessly they run coupled with the amount of apps available on ios that aren't on BlackBerry.
    I purchased a 5c just for the purpose of using Nike+ Running. Because there was no way I was going to run bike and workout with my Q10.

Now that I have the Passport I'm definitely not doing any type of physical workouts with it in hand or with an armband.
    So yes there are many of us out there who use and carry two phones for many reasons.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418, Q10SQN100-5/10.2.1.3 Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 12:17 AM
    Full Tilt Poker is great on my Z30, not so good on my PP.

Posted via CB 10 on my BlackBerry Passport Superphone
    01-13-15 12:20 AM