Why a Touchscreen god gave up his wings for the BlackBerry Passport.-anime-characters-black-wings-widescreen-2-hd-wallpapers_edit.png

Touchscreen god?
    What gives me the right to call myself that?
    If you can find someone who has never used a BlackBerry physical keyboard phone and has used more than 4 BlackBerry's and has "never" lost a speed typing contest using the BlackBerry virtual keyboard in his/her life, plus can draw the image below. I will never call myself that again.
    Why a Touchscreen god gave up his wings for the BlackBerry Passport.-bzrzh9jicaac4oj_edit.jpg

Why did I switch to a Passport?
    Answer: The Curve 9320.
    At this point. I would have to take you back to the beginning...
    In 2008, I came in contact with the BlackBerry phones saw that they were good. So I switched from the Nokia to a Storm 2 (I wanted a touchscreen). My lord! It was a horrible experience!
    After a long while,I decided to use the Curve 9380. This was a much better experience. this renewed my faith in BlackBerry. After that I went on to use the 9860, then the Z10 then the Amazing Z30!... then the unexpected happened...
    December 2014. I was robbed my Z30 was stolen.
    Was devastated but managed to stay calm decided to get a small budget phone till I got a new Z30. This is where the curve 9320 comes in.

It was a disaster!
    Maybe it was because I was coming from the Z30, I couldn't believe how much the curve froze, how long it froze for, how slow the phone was, how often I had to restart it, how poor the battery life was, how annoying the BBM was.....but there was something that fascinated me....The physical keyboard.
    I always frowned at people that used BlackBerry physical keyboard phones. I called them old, old fashioned, slow, dull. E.t.c. But I had never experienced the physical keyboard experience before, now, the more I used it, the more I understood. I could type without looking, I could feel the next key before I pressed it, I felt more confident when sending messages to people, I was making less use of my backspace button...I wasn't faster, but I felt good...I felt like I was in control.

So I decided. My next phone was going to be one with a physical keyboard...but I hated the passport. I hated it at first sight. I prayed BlackBerry wouldn't release it. then I began to watch and read hundreds of reviews of the passport, then I saw what the keyboard could do. So, it wasn't just offering me the keyboard I wanted. It was offering something more. I went on to check out the specs of the phone and was blown away. So, I went to a store (Slot ng) to check it out....if there was a meter, you had "WTH" at one end, you had "CRAZY IN LOVE" at the other, My feelings for the passport upon seeing holding it in reality went from "WTH" to "CRAZY IN LOVE" in about 60 seconds! I saw that the keyboard worked just as advertised or even better. The screen was Beautiful, it felt like it showed me more, when I was expecting it to show me less. Some weeks later. I got the passport.
    I'm not sure if it's the 3gig ram or if it's the 10.3 os that makes the phone soo snappy fast. If you swipe down from the top when using an android app, There's this zoom out option you have. I fall in love everytime I use it. I don't know how the guys at BlackBerry achieved this. But it's just awesome!
    Yes, the camera takes some time to focus. But when it does focus, wow! The images come out great! My favourite camera feature is the panorama, I show this off a lot, people are always amazed at how easy it is to achieve these kinds of shots.
    Why a Touchscreen god gave up his wings for the BlackBerry Passport.-img_20150124_181430_panorama.jpg

There are a lot of features I love. But I'm itching to get to the Keyboard.
    The keyboard...wow! The keyboard. First of all. I had to get used to it. It wasn't even like the one on the curve 9320. The curve's keys were hard plastic, I could press them with my nails, but the passport's keys are different. Pressing them with your nails isn't ideal. it is more spaced out. Which makes typing easier. I never found any problems with the space key being between the "v" and "b" key. But I found typing is easier if you aim to press the upper part of the keys when typing or maybe the keyboard just got softer.

I'm glad they brought in the gesture controls of the Z series. Swiping from right to left on the keyboard to delete a word never gets old. I only swipe upwards to select the predictions when I'm typing a long word, or when I'm using the phone one handed.
    But there's one really fascinating thing about the keyboard i'll like to mention. It's when you swipe down on the keyboard to bring up the number or symbols, you don't have to use the touchscreen to select the number or symbol, because it is mapped to your keyboard just the way it is on the touchscreen. For example: if you swipe down on the keyboard, you can press "w" to select "1" instead of stretching your finger to touch the touchscreen. What is even more lovely is that, I don't even look at the numbers symbols on the touchscreen anymore, because I already know where the keys are mapped to.
    Why a Touchscreen god gave up his wings for the BlackBerry Passport.-sketch283133048_edit.jpg

However there's one thing I hate about the passport...Attention!
    If you are someone who doesn't like attention, DO NOT GET THIS PHONE! I repeat, DO NOT GET THIS PHONE! I can't use my phone at bus stops anymore, I can't use my phone in elevators anymore, the funny thing is, I thought nobody knew about the BlackBerry passport, so I'm always surprised when people come to me say, "hey! Is that the BlackBerry passport?" with the Z30 I usually show the hub, the timeshift camera, the flicking of the keyboard, story maker, but with the passport, I just show them the keyboard alone and they are mind blown. They don't even wait to hear anything else I have to say.

I won't be a touchscreen god anymore, i'll miss the competitions. With this keyboard this phone, I'm sure I'll become a different kind of god. There are a lot of amazing things I could keep ranting on about this phone, but I'll just stop with the fact that I wrote this post without using the backspace button once.

Via The Passport.
    01-28-15 12:57 PM
    Great experience, love to read

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 01:55 PM
    Nice reading! Thx for sharing!
    And great illustrations btw!

Q10
    01-28-15 02:18 PM
    You guys are killing me. I have 6 more months left on my Q10, a company phone and I desperately want a Passport. The Q10 is a great phone, but you guys have converted me to having a Passport. Guess I will have to wait a little bit longer.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 02:30 PM
    Nice reading! People just don't expect the Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 02:30 PM
    I felt the same way when I got mine. Every time I saw it or held it, I couldn't understand why people loved it. I was set on a Classic, but I decided to sit down and play with a Passport before I bought my next phone. After about 20 minutes, I couldn't leave it alone. I completely fell in love with it.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 03:03 PM
    Amazing read. Btw what app do you use to sketch/draw per the above?
    01-28-15 03:13 PM
    Great read! Really enjoyed it.
    01-28-15 03:24 PM
    Nice to read an experience, not hearsay.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 08:18 PM
    That OP was......AWESOME!

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    01-28-15 08:28 PM
    Thanks for the "swipe" down tip! Love the passport, love it more now that I know I can do that

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 09:50 PM
    Wow homie...you brought it home!!

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 09:59 PM
    Haha... I like the Title of the thread *touchscreen god*

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 10:08 PM
    I'm glad there're such great stories about BlackBerry like this, instead of whining in the Classic forum. Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 10:10 PM
    Awesome!!! Photos were very entertaining!!!

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 10:20 PM
    Waiting for the PP2, then my Z30 will crack itself in the middle.
    01-28-15 10:30 PM
    I think this deserve to blog post,front page

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    anon(4067838) and LoneStarRed like this.
    01-28-15 10:33 PM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    nice!!! love the Blackberry keyboard!!!!
    01-28-15 10:41 PM
    Awesome post OP. The passport sounds great.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-28-15 10:42 PM
    Very well written (y)

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    01-28-15 10:48 PM
    Great write up OP. Thanks for the tip about the keyboard. Didn't know that. Cool feature. Love the Passport. Loved the Z30 before that. I am having more fun with the Passport. The keyboard is awesome. For me the Passport has been a super cool experience. Just a great fun phone to use and have. It is what it is. What will be next...?! BlackBerry
    01-28-15 11:14 PM
    I'm your God now.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 12:24 AM
    Fantastic read, great to hear you love the Passport, just like most of us owners. Love your artwork too, well done all round!!

Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast!
    01-29-15 12:39 AM
    Thank you good people. Happy you guys enjoyed the read.

Via The Passport.
    01-29-15 03:30 AM
    Amazing read. Btw what app do you use to sketch/draw per the above?
    I use the sketchbook pro app. It's android. Works well. I used a stylus pen for the drawing above. At times I just use my fingers.

Via The Passport.
    mge1201 likes this.
    01-29-15 03:33 AM
54 123