This is a very good question. I plan to buy a new phone next year and have considered Blackberry. I was a loyal Nokia (and Windows XP) for the past ten years but everything Microsoft touches turns to rigor mortis, and I am ready to change.

Privacy, for the sake of privacy, is my overarching consideration in a new phone (and computer). So, naturally, Blackberry and Linux have attracted my attention. I am not a computer technician or software coder, I just want to buy a product that you can turn on and start using without having to tweak and twerk, become an expert in IT, just to use the product.

Linux ubuntu preloaded on a PC and laptop is fine for my computing needs. It avoids data theft and privacy issues associated now with Apple, and the horrible security and data theft issues that define Microsoft. And by data theft I am talking about the companies, Apple and Microsoft, as well as hackers.

As for a phone, Blackberry is said to be secure, is it not? The calls and messages are automatically encrypted? So, I guess if you are messaging or calling someone else with a Blackberry you can say something on your mind without getting on some government�s black list or having your ideas stolen by the neighbors. But that seems to be as far as it goes.

If you buy a Blackberry you must back up and sync to the cloud or an Apple or Microsoft machine, in which case there is no security. And apps? Forget it. Blackberry has no apps; it reminds me of the early days of Apple Macs, you got hardware and there were no programs, but, hey, it�s a cool looking machine.

And Blackberry phones cannot even do basic things that any smart phone should be able to do out of the box, like support multiple email addresses. The solution Blackberry offers? Use Android apps! Great, use the apps that report your every detail to marketers and steal your messages and contacts, passwords, and who knows what spyware they load onto your phone. Might as well by an Android phone, right?

You cannot even simply sync and back up your phone contents to a Linux machine, the only logical OS for someone who is looking for security, which is what Blackberry is supposed to be all about. But, hey, a Blackberry looks cool. My phone is different from the other phones, woo woo.

So, somebody, tell me why I am wrong, what have I missed? Why should I buy a Blackberry if I just want a secure and private smart phone that is easy to use for calls, messages, email, calendar and contacts? Why should I buy a Blackberry?
    BlackBerry has no problems handling multiple email addresses - that's always been its strength. What problems have you had adding email accounts? If you keep contacts synced to your numerous email accounts, and the contacts are often the same, you may have some issues with the Contacts app, especially if the same contact is written a little differently for each account. Then you will have duplicates, and you will need to link them manually.

The reason it's not Linux compatible is because Linux is open source, so all software written for it must be open source as well. This will never happen with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    sroberto and GeoK like this.
    11-12-14 07:13 AM
    Unless you are a corporate user and you need to get things done, manage you schedule and maximize your efficiencies don't bother as this device is not for you!

Posted via CB10
    Disagreed! I'm a corporate user and I just completed a speech I need on the fly last night!! It is one of the best BlackBerry devices designed yet!

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    11-12-14 07:45 AM
    All jokes aside I'm here in the Crackberry forums because I enjoy using blackberry more than any other platform. I've had several devices and platforms:

Blackberry:
    Q10
    Q10 (second q10, bought on amazon since T-Mobile no longer had stock of it when I switched carriers)

Palm:
    Pre plus

Android:
    Samsung Stratosphere (tried)
    DROID indredible
    Galaxy NOTE 3

Apple:
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5 (tried)
    iPhone 6 (tried)

If I were to switch to any platform, if for some reason blackberry didn't exist, I would love to use WebOS again. Android would be my second choice given the customization options and wide varsity of devices. Apple would be last. Just not crazy about the OS.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    GeoK likes this.
    11-12-14 07:58 AM
    Hmm. Some opposing opinions, but that's what a forum is for.

I just joined here and also thinking of the Passport to replace a a Note 3. I am not a business user, nor heavy on you tube or movies. Browsing (desktop style on the PP - yippee) and communicating mostly.
    There are some commercial apps I need to have, so I assume they are all available now via Google, unlike the helpful guide for Android newbies I just read which is a year old.

I never fully adapted to touch keyboards in 2 years. So the Passport looks good there too.
    A tool belt (a term I learned yesterday!) would be nice too, but more screen is better.

Thanks for starting the thread OP, there are others I see here comparing the Note 4, but this as good a place as any to start.

Any more pros and con comparisons welcomed. I am not reading the entire forum. I will check out the articles mentioned.

(what an awful 1st post. I'm ashamed )

Unless you are a corporate user and you need to get things done, manage you schedule and maximize your efficiencies don't bother as this device is not for you!

Posted via CB10
    ^^ This can't be true today, 2008 maybe?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    11-12-14 12:29 PM

I just joined here and also thinking of the Passport to replace a a Note 3. I am not a business user, nor heavy on you tube or movies. Browsing (desktop style on the PP - yippee) and communicating mostly.
    There are some commercial apps I need to have, so I assume they are all available now via Google, unlike the helpful guide for Android newbies I just read which is a year old.

I never fully adapted to touch keyboards in 2 years. So the Passport looks good there too.
    A tool belt (a term I learned yesterday!) would be nice too, but more screen is better.

Thanks for starting the thread OP, there are others I see here comparing the Note 4, but this as good a place as any to start.

Any more pros and con comparisons welcomed. I am not reading the entire forum. I will check out the articles mentioned.

Better than any of my 1500+ posts

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    anon9158105 likes this.
    11-12-14 01:01 PM
    If I had to compare the Passport to clothing I would say the passport is a well tailored suit, but at the same time it can be a good pair of jeans evenings and weekends when it's time for pleasure.

Posted with my 6 week old superb Passport!
    anon9158105 likes this.
    11-12-14 01:26 PM

Why upgrading to a Passport from a Note 3?

Because it's different. Is it better? Different people will give you different opinions and only you can figure it out after using it for a few weeks.

So the only thing for sure is, it's going to be different. And sometimes that's enough to give it a shoot.

If you have never tried BB10 before, you will be in for a ride. Because the difference will not be "would it fit my pocket" different, it's going to be "holy sh!t, this is different!" different.

If you have tried it, then we come to the superficial part of the screen aspect ratio, keyboard, no spen, no air wave, etc. etc.

Even if you find that you can't handle the change.... I mean you don't like it... it will be easy to return or sell it because this device is hot right now on the market.

You can have fries on the side all day but once for a while you may want nachos for a change, and this is actually sushi.

No change? Note 4; Change? Passport.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    anon9158105 likes this.
    11-12-14 01:54 PM
    Why upgrading to a Passport from a Note 3?

Because it's different. Is it better? Different people will give you different opinions and only you can figure it out after using it for a few weeks.

So the only thing for sure is, it's going to be different. And sometimes that's enough to give it a shoot.

If you have never tried BB10 before, you will be in for a ride. Because the difference will not be "would it fit my pocket" different, it's going to be "holy sh!t, this is different!" different.

If you have tried it, then we come to the superficial part of the screen aspect ratio, keyboard, no spen, no air wave, etc. etc.

Even if you find that you can't handle the change.... I mean you don't like it... it will be easy to return or sell it because this device is hot right now on the market.

You can have fries on the side all day but once for a while you may want nachos for a change, and this is actually sushi.

No change? Note 4; Change? Passport.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    Yeh. It would be a nice change. Would I miss anything? I don't know.

I do like the PP screen aspect, and I don't watch full movies on the Note 3 anyway. It's not trouser friendly maybe, but I don't pocket my N3 either.

Stylus I rarely use, though I do like writing or blocking over a screenshot or photo with a finger or pen.

These issues will have been covered by many here before, so thanks for your indulgence.

I will be waiting until December probably (annual car expenses time!), but good to see the Passport will hold it's value if/when I jump in.

Probably my decision rests on whether I feel fresh and ready to take on another big learning curve with BB10.
    I had a previous Galaxy S2 for 18 months and knew nothing about it until I bought a Note 3 and joined Android Central.

People here are saying it's very intuitive though, (Android / Touchwiz has a so much stuff you need to find!) - so that's a big bonus.

11-12-14 02:39 PM
    If you think you gonna try it just because you have 30 to try out, then stick to your Samsung. You will need to give it more than 30 days. Other than that, don't bother waste your time.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 03:24 PM
    No, I didn't say that, but it was a helpful suggestion for many none the less.
    I would buy outright (unlocked, here in the UK) when I am confident of my choice. Just tired of sheet glass phones and Android's little deficiencies.
    I really want an updated version of the Sony Ericsson P910i, truth be told. I had several over 8 years!

I have always admired Blackberry's, and worked for and with people (clients) who always had the latest model (I revived two that were immersed in a pool) - but during years where I would not spend the price of a good pc or tv on any phone when heavy internet browsing was not viable.
    11-12-14 04:14 PM
    Not speaking about the Passport in particular, but about BB10 in general.

Believe me, I've had many android phones, including an S3 and once you go BlackBerry you don't want to go back. I used to switch my phones on a 6-months basis but I have my Q10 since the launch.

It's just an excellent platform enabling you to get things done. Working with the HUB is so efficient and you can switch between channels of communications very easily. When I'm playing around with Android phones now they feel like a toy.

Which brings me to this. You will love the build quality. My girlfriend has an S4 and it's not exactly built tough. BlackBerry is sturdy, yet stylish and it has a very professional appeal. You can really use this phone like a tool.

The only thing I miss sometimes is the great app selection on Google Play, but that's an acceptable trade-off.
    anon9158105 likes this.
    11-12-14 04:29 PM
    A new nd Blackberry phones cannot even do basic things that any smart phone should be able to do out of the box, like support multiple email addresses. The solution Blackberry offers? Use Android apps! Great, use the apps that report your every detail to marketers and steal your messages and contacts, passwords, and who knows what spyware they load onto your phone. Might as well by an Android phone, right?

You cannot even simply sync and back up your phone contents to a Linux machine, the only logical OS for someone who is looking for security, which is what Blackberry is supposed to be all about. But, hey, a Blackberry looks cool. My phone is different from the other phones, woo woo.

So, somebody, tell me why I am wrong, what have I missed? Why should I buy a Blackberry if I just want a secure and private smart phone that is easy to use for calls, messages, email, calendar and contacts? Why should I buy a Blackberry?
    My Z10 most definitely does support multiple email addresses out of the box so I don't know what you're talking about (neither do you it appears).
    I'm also not super paranoid about backing my data to my Windows machine but if I ever did get the inclination that someone were going to get past my security solution, I also have added encryption I can activate at any time.
    Your issues and security insecurities are unfounded and, quite frankly, redundant. No phone on the market has the level of security as BlackBerry, so where or how you back up your data is moot. What the OP needs is for/against as opposed to getting any other phone.

Posted with a soontobereplacedwithanawesomeZ30 Z10
    11-12-14 04:52 PM
    if you read my post again you will notice I am not a blackberry owner; my knowledge of blackberry comes from what others have told me, which is why i am on this forum looking for more info.

where you back up your data certainly is not moot. it does not matter if blackberry is the most secure if you cannot back it up to an equally safe platform. Applying your logic to computing, I should use Lintux instead of Microsoft, and it then does not matter which phone I use.

Right now, it seems to me that vague praise like, you can get so much stuff done with a blackberry, everyone will ask you what is that, is not a better argument for the phone than more and better apps for the others.

Bottom line, Blackberry is oriented to work with Microsoft , apple, and or Google. Anyone who has even remotely been following the news about security issues with these can see it makes no sense to buy a phone for its security then rely on data thieves for your sync, back up, and file share.
    11-12-14 07:47 PM
    It depends on a few things
    One is apps. How tech savvy are you and is it something you'd consider point is that depending on what apps you use you may need to do a little more work than your used to in order to get them.
    Secondly is input methods one is all touch and the other is a touch/qwerty combo and while not impossible it can take some getting used to. In this regard I'd reccomend trying a q10 just to get a feel for the touch/type method.
    Third is what you use it for. People I know who game a lot I would advise a full touchscreen. Make no mistake the passport runs games IMO flawlessly but you may have different feel about it. I read a lot of news articles, type/write and read a ton of word docs so for me I can't see myself going to anything else.
    So I'd say it's really your call. May the best choice win out.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 08:16 PM
    if you read my post again you will notice I am not a blackberry owner; my knowledge of blackberry comes from what others have told me, which is why i am on this forum looking for more info.

where you back up your data certainly is not moot. it does not matter if blackberry is the most secure if you cannot back it up to an equally safe platform. Applying your logic to computing, I should use Lintux instead of Microsoft, and it then does not matter which phone I use.

Right now, it seems to me that vague praise like, you can get so much stuff done with a blackberry, everyone will ask you what is that, is not a better argument for the phone than more and better apps for the others.

Bottom line, Blackberry is oriented to work with Microsoft , apple, and or Google. Anyone who has even remotely been following the news about security issues with these can see it makes no sense to buy a phone for its security then rely on data thieves for your sync, back up, and file share.
    Maybe we have to take a step back and have look at what exactly you want to do with your phone.

Mobile security is always bidirectional thing. Even a BlackBerry is not considerably more secure for communication as long as you don't run it on BES.
    The same thing applies to other platforms though.

So, you're talking about backups. What data do you want to back up and where?

I use multiple e-mail accounts on BlackBerry. Some of them are on Microsoft Exchange Server, using ActiveSync. Those connections can be SSL encrypted, as long as your Mail Server has enabled this option. Same thing for contacts that you sync there.

Another option is to use BES. I'm not an expert there but I'm sure you have to option to store data safely via a mobile connection.
    11-13-14 02:35 AM
    SunshineStateFlyer
    Originally Posted by sroberto

>>>Maybe we have to take a step back and have look at what exactly you want to do with your phone.

OK. Now I use a five year old Nokia N-8 phone in which I can answer and make hands-free phone calls with wireless bluetooth headset while driving and with the phone Maps display on and it giving me directions via bluetooth over the car�s stereo,while playing music from my phone�s memory card also by bluetooth over the car�s stereo, when Martin, the male voice from the maps application is not speaking (Martin and the music politely share the stereo back and forth); while this is going on I am also downloading emails and SMS / MMS, and recording voice reminders to myself so I am not tempted to text while driving. All of this simultaneiously on a five year old phone on preloaded apps out of the box.

At the office I attach the phone to a usb cable and plug it into my computer and click sync. In a few minutes its done and I am working on my PC with data updated from my phone. Vice versa before leaving to go on the road. I have all my contacts, email, messages, etc. in both places. Phone is backed up to PC and PC with phone contents is backed up to an external disk.

At home I have internet radio and videos on my large screen connected to my phone in high definition. I can also read all my documents on a large screen if I want to, for presentations.

Oh, and I have a 13 mp camera that is said to be one of the best ever produced on a phone of its class, to date. I have used it to edit videos and take photos that have won awards.

All this on a five year old phone.

So, to answer your question what do I want to do with the phone, I would say I want to do what I can do now with my N8, nothing more.

>>>Mobile security is always bidirectional thing. Even a BlackBerry is not considerably more secure for communication as long as you don't run it on BES. The same thing applies to other platforms though.

That�s what I am driving at. Blackberry is said to be the most secure phone, but is it really? If not, then it either competes on price or on features. It fails in both compared to Android, does it not?
    11-13-14 06:21 AM
    SunshineStateFlyer
    Originally Posted by sroberto

>>>Maybe we have to take a step back and have look at what exactly you want to do with your phone.

OK. Now I use a five year old Nokia N-8 phone in which I can answer and make hands-free phone calls with wireless bluetooth headset while driving and with the phone Maps display on and it giving me directions via bluetooth over the car�s stereo,while playing music from my phone�s memory card also by bluetooth over the car�s stereo, when Martin, the male voice from the maps application is not speaking (Martin and the music politely share the stereo back and forth); while this is going on I am also downloading emails and SMS / MMS, and recording voice reminders to myself so I am not tempted to text while driving. All of this simultaneiously on a five year old phone on preloaded apps out of the box.

At the office I attach the phone to a usb cable and plug it into my computer and click sync. In a few minutes its done and I am working on my PC with data updated from my phone. Vice versa before leaving to go on the road. I have all my contacts, email, messages, etc. in both places. Phone is backed up to PC and PC with phone contents is backed up to an external disk.

At home I have internet radio and videos on my large screen connected to my phone in high definition. I can also read all my documents on a large screen if I want to, for presentations.

Oh, and I have a 13 mp camera that is said to be one of the best ever produced on a phone of its class, to date. I have used it to edit videos and take photos that have won awards.

All this on a five year old phone.

So, to answer your question what do I want to do with the phone, I would say I want to do what I can do now with my N8, nothing more.

>>>Mobile security is always bidirectional thing. Even a BlackBerry is not considerably more secure for communication as long as you don't run it on BES. The same thing applies to other platforms though.

That�s what I am driving at. Blackberry is said to be the most secure phone, but is it really? If not, then it either competes on price or on features. It fails in both compared to Android, does it not?
    11-13-14 06:31 AM
    Why not?!

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 06:45 AM
    Learning curve? What learning curve?
    I am getting nervous....dunno if I can do that.

Yeh. It would be a nice change. Would I miss anything? I don't know.

I do like the PP screen aspect, and I don't watch full movies on the Note 3 anyway. It's not trouser friendly maybe, but I don't pocket my N3 either.

Stylus I rarely use, though I do like writing or blocking over a screenshot or photo with a finger or pen.

These issues will have been covered by many here before, so thanks for your indulgence.

I will be waiting until December probably (annual car expenses time!), but good to see the Passport will hold it's value if/when I jump in.

Probably my decision rests on whether I feel fresh and ready to take on another big learning curve with BB10.
    I had a previous Galaxy S2 for 18 months and knew nothing about it until I bought a Note 3 and joined Android Central.

People here are saying it's very intuitive though, (Android / Touchwiz has a so much stuff you need to find!) - so that's a big bonus.

11-13-14 07:17 AM
    You have to sync manually? I have my main account on Outlook.com, and the moment I enter, edit or delete a contact on my phone, the change shows up automatically on all my other devices. Same if I make changes on other devices - the information is immediately available on the phone. This goes for calendar as well. My Q10 receives emails before the Mail app on my Windows tablet.

I've never listened to music at the same time as the Maps app was navigating, but if a call comes in, the Maps app emits a (rather obnoxious) sound whenever a navigation instruction would have been made. No idea how to turn that off.

But to your requirements, BB10 devices are capable of exceeding the capabilities of your N8.

Posted via CB10
    sroberto likes this.
    11-13-14 07:22 AM
    OP please don't, I like being part of an exclusive club! BlackBerry is for corporate users that need to be productive. If you are into games and consuming media, then BlackBerry is not for you.

My post is riddled with sarcasm but if communication is what you are looking for (email, text, linkedin, facebook, phone) and being able to review and edit documents and spreadsheet then the Passport is the only choice.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 07:32 AM
    Downright weird statement in this thread that BlackBerry doesn't support multiple email addresses and you need an app to do it. You've always been able to natively add multiple emails. Even years ago pre BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 07:35 AM
    This is a very good question. I plan to buy a new phone next year and have considered Blackberry. I was a loyal Nokia (and Windows XP) for the past ten years but everything Microsoft touches turns to rigor mortis, and I am ready to change.

Privacy, for the sake of privacy, is my overarching consideration in a new phone (and computer). So, naturally, Blackberry and Linux have attracted my attention. I am not a computer technician or software coder, I just want to buy a product that you can turn on and start using without having to tweak and twerk, become an expert in IT, just to use the product.

Linux ubuntu preloaded on a PC and laptop is fine for my computing needs. It avoids data theft and privacy issues associated now with Apple, and the horrible security and data theft issues that define Microsoft. And by data theft I am talking about the companies, Apple and Microsoft, as well as hackers.

As for a phone, Blackberry is said to be secure, is it not? The calls and messages are automatically encrypted? So, I guess if you are messaging or calling someone else with a Blackberry you can say something on your mind without getting on some government�s black list or having your ideas stolen by the neighbors. But that seems to be as far as it goes.

If you buy a Blackberry you must back up and sync to the cloud or an Apple or Microsoft machine, in which case there is no security. And apps? Forget it. Blackberry has no apps; it reminds me of the early days of Apple Macs, you got hardware and there were no programs, but, hey, it�s a cool looking machine.

And Blackberry phones cannot even do basic things that any smart phone should be able to do out of the box, like support multiple email addresses. The solution Blackberry offers? Use Android apps! Great, use the apps that report your every detail to marketers and steal your messages and contacts, passwords, and who knows what spyware they load onto your phone. Might as well by an Android phone, right?

This post is SO WRONG on so many accounts, it would take too long to respond to all of them. Please just ignore this post.
    HedoBum likes this.
    11-13-14 07:40 AM
48 12