So if it's LCD I'm guessing the battery is going to be horrible? My Z10 is an LCD as well.

I get about 3 hours out of heavy usage on my Z10 which has a 1800mah battery. The Q30 would be slightly less then double the battery size. Keeping all things equal I am going to be getting about 6 hours of heavy usage on the Q30?

That is definitely a joke.

If it seems that way I will definitely pass up on this. Not buying another phone with a horrendous battery life.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 05:17 AM
    I prefer LCD. The colors seem more vibrant and vivid to my eyes. I don't have to keep the brightness all the way up to enjoy it. I sold my Z30 in favor of my Z10. I just couldn't get used to the screen resolution, weight, and size.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!
    06-06-14 05:18 AM
    I noticed that my Z30 and Q10 could never dim down so low as my iPhone did in the past. They are actually extremely bright at their lowest brightness. This is annoying for using my phone in bed. Is this an issue with the amoled technology that might be remedied with the lcd screen? Did the Z10 have this issue?
    06-06-14 07:40 AM
    I noticed that my Z30 and Q10 could never dim down so low as my iPhone did in the past. They are actually extremely bright at their lowest brightness. This is annoying for using my phone in bed. Is this an issue with the amoled technology that might be remedied with the lcd screen? Did the Z10 have this issue?
    The Z10 does not have this issue, utilizing LCD over AMOLED.

The difference in composition in the screens makes the AMOLED Harder to dim whites, whereas it's great for displaying darker tones of colour. The issue comes down to the tech, really, dimming an AMOLED is like changing contrast, whereas the LCDS can dim the entire display, regardless of colours being displayed.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 07:56 AM
    Crackberry is also saying it's LCD. I did some research and apparently it's easier to make a Ultra HD screen with LCD vs AMOLED so that could also be part of the reason.
    While they are not using an Ultra HD screen on this device, the availability of the displays will almost certainly had a bearing on their choice.
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    06-06-14 07:58 AM
    So if it's LCD I'm guessing the battery is going to be horrible? My Z10 is an LCD as well.

I get about 3 hours out of heavy usage on my Z10 which has a 1800mah battery. The Q30 would be slightly less then double the battery size. Keeping all things equal I am going to be getting about 6 hours of heavy usage on the Q30?
    Your logic would be fine if the display accounted for 100% of your battery use when it is probably more like 1/5.

Incidentally, if you are only getting 3 hours then you should get a new battery as that one is knackered.
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    06-06-14 08:01 AM
    The Z10 does not have this issue, utilizing LCD over AMOLED.

The difference in composition in the screens makes the AMOLED Harder to dim whites, whereas it's great for displaying darker tones of colour. The issue comes down to the tech, really, dimming an AMOLED is like changing contrast, whereas the LCDS can dim the entire display, regardless of colours being displayed.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. I'm looking forward to an LCD screen, then.
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    06-06-14 08:11 AM
    Because amoled is garbage. The Q10 was poor to read on a lot of old people hated the lowness the screen displayed. Amoled gives odd Blue tints on the screen when viewed in angles. Poor for whites and reading there's so much contrast that it looks like the icons and screen has oil on them real weird. 90 Percent of your phone is reading.When your screen cant do whites bright enough and it looks like its dimmed down its not good for reading.From thats its a flop straight away. Darktheme makes no damn sense to me when again 90% of your phone is reading viewing..

There's reason why tv companys use lcd/led/ips superior for viewing. Oled is nothing but Sammy hype job since they invested heavily and own the oled field. Good that BB didn't go the cheap route.LCD/IPS is the way forward. Hopefully the Z50 follows the lcd route. None of this oled dark them rubbish lying that it saves battery. Maybe its cause it looks ****??

Its HD era screens have to be at the point of TV standard Oled is not superior tech for HD TV..
    Last edited by RECOOL; 06-07-14 at 11:06 AM.
    06-06-14 09:30 AM
    None of this oled dark them rubbish lying that it saves battery. Maybe its cause it looks ****??

Lying? LOL! AMOLED Is much more efficient in power consumption, I don't know why you'd think anyone is lying in saying that.

OLED Tech is getting more effective, efficient, and better as more research is done. While LCD's are great, the move to other technology like AMOLED Is underway. It's personal preference, really. It just seems your stand point is from an uneducated one, no offense intended.

Posted via CB10
    Katika99 likes this.
    06-06-14 09:44 AM
    I prefer LCD. The colors seem more vibrant and vivid to my eyes. I don't have to keep the brightness all the way up to enjoy it. I sold my Z30 in favor of my Z10. I just couldn't get used to the screen resolution, weight, and size.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!
    I definitely prefer the screen on my Z10 to the Z30. It's the reason that I didn't upgrade. I do, however, prefer the size of the Z30's screen.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-06-14 11:10 AM
    OLED Tech is getting more effective, efficient, and better as more research is done. While LCD's are great, the move to other technology like AMOLED Is underway.
    Folks have been saying AMOLED is the way of the future for a long time now, yet more and more, most flagship devices feature LCD displays. If anything, AMOLED had its day in the sun and is now in decline while IPS LCD is used more often.

Look at the recent high-end devices and how many of them are using that garbage AMOLED technology? Not very many. The last two Nexus smartphones, and the Nexus tablets are LCD. HTC One M7 and M8 are both LCD. The OnePlus One, LG G2 & G3, Oppo Find 5 & 7, Nokia Lumia 920, 930 & 1520, the iPhones - all of them are using LCD. Even Sony has ditched AMOLED for the Vita after all of the complaints of Vitas with permanent burn-in.

The only company that's still pushing crappy AMOLED screens heavily is Samsung. Everyone else with a brain has figured out that IPS LCD is much better looking, cheaper to make, and lasts much longer than AMOLED. Like I've already said, I personally will never buy another AMOLED device again. Because every single one that I've owned has eventually suffered from burn-in. Sorry, but a few extra percent of battery life isn't worth dealing with the eventual burn-in. I think I'd rather plug my phone in more often than stare at ghosting on the screen every time I use my device.
    06-07-14 11:12 AM
    Witmen yeap, and not to mention that if you browse a lot, amoled screen is not power efficient.

Virtually it's better on dark backgrounds..

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 11:22 AM
    I prefer a screen that is not fused to the glass so.if the glass beads i.can still use it

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 12:22 PM
    Folks have been saying AMOLED is the way of the future for a long time now, yet more and more, most flagship devices feature LCD displays. If anything, AMOLED had its day in the sun and is now in decline while IPS LCD is used more often.

Look at the recent high-end devices and how many of them are using that garbage AMOLED technology? Not very many. The last two Nexus smartphones, and the Nexus tablets are LCD. HTC One M7 and M8 are both LCD. The OnePlus One, LG G2 & G3, Oppo Find 5 & 7, Nokia Lumia 920, 930 & 1520, the iPhones - all of them are using LCD. Even Sony has ditched AMOLED for the Vita after all of the complaints of Vitas with permanent burn-in.

The only company that's still pushing crappy AMOLED screens heavily is Samsung. Everyone else with a brain has figured out that IPS LCD is much better looking, cheaper to make, and lasts much longer than AMOLED. Like I've already said, I personally will never buy another AMOLED device again. Because every single one that I've owned has eventually suffered from burn-in. Sorry, but a few extra percent of battery life isn't worth dealing with the eventual burn-in. I think I'd rather plug my phone in more often than stare at ghosting on the screen every time I use my device.
    Very interesting read Witmen. Looks like LCD might make a comeback.

06-08-14 01:21 PM
    good point.

I'm sick on my LCD and the pentile subpixel arrangement. But the black levels are nice. Just not worth the nausea, headaches, and inaccuracies. If the Q20 is Amoled, I'll be forced to take the Q30, unfortunately. Hopefully all future BlackBerry phones are IPS LCD.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 08:47 AM
    People forget that the newer LCD panels out are a lot more efficient than the LCD 1 and LCD 2 panels from before. For example the HTC ONE M8 uses a LCD 3 panel. So complaining about previous LCD panel is pointless.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 08:58 AM
    People forget that the newer LCD panels out are a lot more efficient than the LCD 1 and LCD 2 panels from before. For example the HTC ONE M8 uses a LCD 3 panel. So complaining about previous LCD panel is pointless.

Posted via CB10
    I think that's a good point. Technology is constantly improving and just because some first generation products weren't great doesn't mean that the current generation isn't good.

06-10-14 10:08 AM
    I think that's a good point. Technology is constantly improving and just because some first generation products weren't great doesn't mean that the current generation isn't good.

Considering how much I like my Z10 screen, if they make it with a better battery life, I'm on board. I'd jump on a Z50 if it's the size of a Z30 but light like the Z10 with an LCD display.

Sent from the one in Beautiful Blue using Tapatalk.
    nightridah likes this.
    06-10-14 10:42 AM
    People will B ITCH about anything,
    06-10-14 10:47 AM
    Considering how much I like my Z10 screen, if they make it with a better battery life, I'm on board. I'd jump on a Z50 if it's the size of a Z30 but light like the Z10 with an LCD display.

I'd be getting that too, if they ever release it. I'd also like to see them add a screen made of a scratch resistant material.

Septembersrain likes this.
    06-10-14 01:33 PM
    Is the Q30 related to whatever is being developed in partnership with nanthealth? It could be that color fidelity is actually important (or necessary) for such an application.

Posted via CB10
    I believe you are correct. Makes a lot of sense to be using LCD screens for viewing high resolution pics

? Posted via CB10 on my ? Z30
    06-12-14 07:05 AM

Yes I totally agree with you that the z10 would be so much better if it had a much bigger battery. That's the main reason I switched for the z30. I just miss how comfortable and light the z10 felt in my hand as well as the LCD screen.

But there's no way they ll make the z50 as light as the z10. Whatever the size of the battery is in the z50 it will be heavier that's for sure.

? Posted via CB10 on my ? Z30
    06-12-14 07:19 AM
    I prefer LCD. And also love the light BlackBerry 10 theme. I just can't stand out the 'dark' white of the Q10. It's a great phone, but this is the reason I'm staying with my Z10.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175
    Sergiu1337 likes this.
    06-19-14 02:35 PM
    I like both for different reasons.
    Amoled's got the blacks and the battery, LCD's got the beauty, sunlight, and longevity. I like both.

However, I think with the massive battery this thing will have the battery longevity issue will be moot... just wish it was removable...

Have to agree. I would much prefer that it had a removable battery. Don't really want to send the phone back when the battery goes bad. I have not ever purchased a phone that did not have a removable battery.
    Oh..Hello iPhone ! Nice to see you.
    06-19-14 03:33 PM
49 12