I can't fathom why BlackBerry would do this LCD is known to drain the battery doesn't matter how big of a battery you put in there it would probably last double the length if they put a AMOLED screen in there instead

Why it makes no sense you could put a higher quality OLED in a save battery. I like my blacks on my screens black not gray. I also don't want the screen shining all the time and just having the LCD block it out its ridiculous.

Lots of people complain about OLEDS no sunlight viewable or bad lighting or whites not being the very whitest. All of those problems are from bad or old OLED technology. Samsung (the only thing there good at) screens are very good Super AMOLED plus screens have good sunlight viewable very good brightness and great white and blacks. (the only problem is the colors are a bit saturated but that's there software)

Imagine how much power that 3450mah battery would be with a more efficient screen

Posted via CB10 via My Q10
    Ahmed Ragab likes this.
    06-02-14 08:43 PM
    I much prefer IPS displays to Amoled displays. It took about 6 months before my Samsung Galaxy Nexus had permanet burn in from menu items always being displayed. My Vita is almost a year old and suffers from burn in as well. Phones like the LG G2 have amazing looking IPS displays and still manage a full day of use with plenty of power to spare and no worries about burn in. I'll never buy another Amoled device again.
    KDB84, Sergiu1337 and snapexp like this.
    06-02-14 08:57 PM
    Yeah, I kinda wondered about this. Why use an LCD screen?? Should AMOLED be preferred as this has lower power use?
    06-02-14 09:00 PM
    Amoled still has quite a ways to go before it surpasses lcd in colour accuracy and longevity. Plus it's more expensive. Do some reading on anandtech mobile section
    ronfc likes this.
    06-02-14 09:28 PM
    In my mind if it saves battery it's worth it even if you have to give up color accuracy and brightness for significant more battery life

rai187, kbz1960 and Katika99 like this.
    06-02-14 09:47 PM
    Is the Q30 related to whatever is being developed in partnership with nanthealth? It could be that color fidelity is actually important (or necessary) for such an application.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 09:53 PM
    While I enjoy the brightness, and colours on the LCDs I LOVE AMOLED Too. Like others said, the battery saving is worth it alone.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 09:54 PM
    Is the Q30 related to whatever is being developed in partnership with nanthealth? It could be that color fidelity is actually important (or necessary) for such an application.

Posted via CB10
    I never thought about that that might be the reason. But I love the battery savings but if it's for accuracy then I might be okay with it. Also are the new LCD on phones actually using LED technology like LED lcd tvs?

06-02-14 10:03 PM
    I never thought about that that might be the reason. But I love the battery savings but if it's for accuracy then I might be okay with it. Also are the new LCD on phones actually using LED technology like LED lcd tvs?

LCD's and LED's are quite different.

Are you referring to LED-Backlight LCD displays? If so, you may want to read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD_display

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 10:35 PM
    LCD's and LED's are quite different.

Are you referring to LED-Backlight LCD displays?

Posted via CB10
    Yes that's what I meant do phones use led backlights? I believe they do but why do the phone companies Still call it LCD they should call it LED backlight LCD

06-02-14 10:42 PM
    Yes that's what I meant do phones use led backlights? I believe they do but why do the phone companies Still call it LCD they should call it LED backlight LCD

I think it's just generally understood that anything that's thin enough to fit into a modern smartphone is LED-based technology.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 10:45 PM
    Here's a decent summary:

http://www.neowin.net/news/guide-to-...re-47-displays

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 10:48 PM
    Well i used a z10 for a year , then switched to the z30 ....z10 had a lot more brightness but z30 was more eye candy and battery life ...gotta say bb10 software shines the most on OMLED , but maybe q30 will still look good no matter what
    06-02-14 11:07 PM
    IPS LCD's are much better. AMOLED screens over saturate and suffer from burn-in eventually. Also they suffer from terrible brightness, which LCD's do not.
    Last edited by Moopusmaximus; 06-03-14 at 09:45 AM.
    06-03-14 07:29 AM
    I love my amoled screen on the z30... but really it is a little dark in sunlight
    06-03-14 08:05 AM
    I like both for different reasons.
    Amoled's got the blacks and the battery, LCD's got the beauty, sunlight, and longevity. I like both.

However, I think with the massive battery this thing will have the battery longevity issue will be moot... just wish it was removable...
    anon(7915689) likes this.
    06-03-14 08:29 AM
    My q5 has lcd screen and has an amazing battery life! Don't worry about its life,if the battery is big,its gonna last.
    06-03-14 08:35 AM
    I may have to back the amoled vote here. I've used a couple of q10s, and never had a problem with brightness. With my z10, I have the brightness cranked all the way down to try to get 8 hours out of the phone. I'm all for battery life improvements lol

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 08:55 PM
    My guess is they'll use AMOLED.

The "LCD" info comes from N4BB, who also said it's PPI is 480. Which BlackBerry already confirmed to be around 452.

I think it's a safe bet to say their info is a little off.

The leaked display looks like an LCD however, since the entire display lights up, instead of just the logo. As seen on Q10 and Z30.

Posted via CB10

Attachment 275958
    06-04-14 09:01 AM
    My guess is they'll use AMOLED.

The "LCD" info comes from N4BB, who also said it's PPI is 480. Which BlackBerry already confirmed to be around 452.

I think it's a safe bet to say their info is a little off.

The leaked display looks like an LCD however, since the entire display lights up, instead of just the logo. As seen on Q10 and Z30.

Posted via CB10

Attachment 275958
    http://crackberry.com/new-details-ab...n-about-device

Crackberry is also saying it's LCD. I did some research and apparently it's easier to make a Ultra HD screen with LCD vs AMOLED so that could also be part of the reason.

06-04-14 09:31 AM

Crackberry is also saying it's LCD. I did some research and apparently it's easier to make a Ultra HD screen with LCD vs AMOLED so that could also be part of the reason.

Isn't LCD significantly cheaper?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-04-14 05:07 PM

As long as we don't get another Pentile RGB array (aasa with the Q10) then I'll be happy.
    06-04-14 06:04 PM
    A comment from my side:
    How big is the energy consumption difference? It is my understanding that it isn't too large.
    Also, AMOLED needs a lot of power to display white - thats why the Q10 got the black interface in the first place.

People mentioned deplored accuracy - and IPS is the way to go there.
    In addition, if AMOLED is anything like OLED, it will yellow over time.
    A tradition LCD will only get darker as the CFL/LED wear out.

Coming back to that: LCD is liquid crystal display - the term LED here refers to the back light.
    Mad again, LED LCDs are quite accurate.

Side note, there are also different technologies for the actual LCD - my laptop has an IGZO display (indium gallium zinc oxide) - it does make one wonder what's in the phones....

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 02:22 AM
    Isn't LCD significantly cheaper?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    The main reason is that the start-up and operating costs to make AMOLED screens is huge. As is stands 98% of all AMOLED screens are made by one company: Samsung, and they can just set the price they want cause what are buyers going to do make there own AMOLED screens?

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 02:48 AM
    I always prefer LCD (IPS) over AMOLED :

- better battery life on white backgrounds (eg: web browsing on AMOLED sucks on battery. Compare browsing times with z30 and iphone 5 which has a way much smaller battery. Or compare with lg g2. Both phones smashes the z30 in this aspect)
    - prefer light theme, eg: a white hub looks better for me than a dark one
    - AMOLED screen degrades quite fast
    Why is the Q30 a LCD screen?-img_20140529_122636.jpg
    Galaxy s2 screen (super amoled+, rgb matrix) started to degrade within months.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 04:07 AM
49 12