I keep reading that people think that BlackBerry is making canada pay extra for the Passport... and I even read many saying that the difference is 100$!

Do anyone know about exchange rates? Factoring the exchange rate in, and considering the Canadian Dollar is expected to decline, we're talking about a 35$ difference, and maybe less if the dollar continues it decline.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-24-14 03:01 PM
    It's all optics my friend

It's the same reason why phones are priced at 599 and not 600

It's just an irrational gut response not based in facts.

That being said, I do believe that--given the predictable response from Joe Phone Buyer--they should have maybe priced on the low end of the exchange rate at 649. I'm not sure how financially feasible that would have been for them though.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 03:07 PM
    Price higher!
    09-24-14 03:08 PM
    I keep reading that people think that BlackBerry is making canada pay extra for the Passport... and I even read many saying that the difference is 100$!

Do anyone know about exchange rates? Factoring the exchange rate in, and considering the Canadian Dollar is expected to decline, we're talking about a 35$ difference, and maybe less if the dollar continues it decline.

Posted via CB10
    Contradictions.

Chen saying he wanted to provide a price cut to be extremely competitive. He peppered his keynote about his love to win Canada back to Blackberry.

So why not price it using the exchange rate for a limited time. Makes what he says sound empty to me.
    09-24-14 03:09 PM
    Except in Ontario we have to pay 13% tax on top of $699, plus shipping charges.

In USA there is 0% tax to some states and $0 shipping charge, works out to be a much bigger difference than $35.
    09-24-14 03:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    Because it's not just $35 more and I've explained this already in another thread, there's more than exchange rate to take into account.

1). Shop BlackBerry has for the last 18 months at least sold devices at par. For instance, a Z30 will cost you $499 on both the US and Canadian sites, the Z10 $299, etc, etc. When ever one had a sale the other would issue a coupon code to balance things out. There was no reason to expect the Passport pricing would be any different let alone $100 in favour of one side or the other;

2) The hype around the $599 price point was only about that price point and it was intense leading people to believe it also applied to Canada;

3) The US has free shipping on top of the sale price, in Canada it costs $22;

4) John Chen's rather dismissive attitude this morning has probably not helped matters.

5) AS AN EDIT: When the CEO can't even explain the difference then there's a huge issue.

I would go on but I don't have the time. But in short you can't blame Canadians for feeling short shifted, especially as we seem to be one of the few loyal countries when it comes to the BlackBerry brand. The difference in price is not the whole point, it's the underlying attitude behind it.

Had it been $649 and with free shipping, I would have ordered one right out of the gate. As it is, I'm now wondering how important my business is to BlackBerry.
    Last edited by Jonesy1966; 09-24-14 at 03:46 PM.
    nah.uhh, Jtaylor1986 and SalMan50 like this.
    09-24-14 03:15 PM
    Well said.

Companies quickly forget how important each sale is and the attitude of your customers. Not too long ago, BlackBerry was fighting to keep everyone using their product. Not with some success, they forget their sense of urgency.

Yes it's a BlackBerry. If you have something bad to say... speak to Easton!
    09-24-14 03:43 PM
    On the other hand in Canada you can get it on contract from every major carrier for $200-250, in the States not so much.

I wonder how much Canadian carriers had to do with setting the price. Carriers generally don't like when you can save money by buying a device for cheaper than the standard flagship cost (almost always $699 in Canada) and getting a monthly byod discount.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 03:57 PM
    Because it's not just $35 more and I've explained this already in another thread, there's more than exchange rate to take into account.

1). Shop BlackBerry has for the last 18 months at least sold devices at par. For instance, a Z30 will cost you $499 on both the US and Canadian sites, the Z10 $299, etc, etc. When ever one had a sale the other would issue a coupon code to balance things out. There was no reason to expect the Passport pricing would be any different let alone $100 in favour of one side or the other;

2) The hype around the $599 price point was only about that price point and it was intense leading people to believe it also applied to Canada;

3) The US has free shipping on top of the sale price, in Canada it costs $22;

4) John Chen's rather dismissive attitude this morning has probably not helped matters.

5) AS AN EDIT: When the CEO can't even explain the difference then there's a huge issue.

I would go on but I don't have the time. But in short you can't blame Canadians for feeling short shifted, especially as we seem to be one of the few loyal countries when it comes to the BlackBerry brand. The difference in price is not the whole point, it's the underlying attitude behind it.

Had it been $649 and with free shipping, I would have ordered one right out of the gate. As it is, I'm now wondering how important my business is to BlackBerry.
    This

On the other hand in Canada you can get it on contract from every major carrier for $200-250, in the States not so much.

I wonder how much Canadian carriers had to do with setting the price. Carriers generally don't like when you can save money by buying a device for cheaper than the standard flagship cost (almost always $699 in Canada) and getting a monthly byod discount.

Posted via CB10
    That's 200-300$(bell) , which is more than the imported s5 and ip6
    09-24-14 04:01 PM
    People should learn to cut their coats according to their sizes. The price is what it is or an iPhone 6 is an option.
    09-24-14 04:04 PM
    TL;DR: Canadians are being cheap because they used to have everything for less and now they don't.

Hey, I'm in Mexico. Why can't I get a passport for 599 pesos? That's straight up thievery, right there.

pin:2B7CAF06
    09-24-14 04:10 PM
    TL;DR: Canadians are being cheap because they used to have everything for less and now they don't.

Hey, I'm in Mexico. Why can't I get a passport for 599 pesos? That's straight up thievery, right there.

pin:2B7CAF06
    Have you ever been to Canada? Everything is wayyy more expensive than the states... yeah, yeah, I know; price competition, population.

But the principals are what are not solid. "Canadians Love a Great Comeback". Canadians also love some loyalty back. Whether $100 or $1, it should absolutely not be more expensive to loyal customers than to the bashful US market.
    09-24-14 04:19 PM
    People from Europe would feel that Canada price was a dream... +800$ on this side of the world...
    09-24-14 05:42 PM
    $750 plus taxes off contract at teluss storee in calgary canada. I dont know the exchange rate but I know that $750 Canadian is not $599.00 American. Not impressed with this. Its BlackBerrys home country

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 06:01 PM
    My thoughts exactly, not priced competitive enough for the Canadian market which seems to hype Samsung and Apple for consumers.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    09-24-14 06:06 PM
    To answer the question of the thread.

Because we pay higher taxes.
    The price on Canadian carriers almost matches the popular iPhone6.
    BlackBerry is Canadian and stated that we love a great comeback. Well, yeah in hockey. (ICE hockey. there is no other type. i don't know what you're talking about).

Okay, I know. Not the best excuses but they could have given us some more incentive. Most people in Canada are not considering BlackBerry and pricing them the same as an iPhone does not help that fact. (and it's a Canadian bloody company!) In reality they probably did it because the carriers here wouldn't sell it for less. Canadian carriers are all the devil. lol.
    09-24-14 06:20 PM
    Except in Ontario we have to pay 13% tax on top of $699, plus shipping charges.

In USA there is 0% tax to some states and $0 shipping charge, works out to be a much bigger difference than $35.
    There are very few places with 0% tax, in most cases online sales no longer are local tax free. US sales tax is based on the City, County, and State where the item is shipped (Online) or where the transaction takes place (Physical Stores). All large online retailers now have to collect local taxes. For example Amazon and Newegg collect local taxes and my county It's 9.5%.
    09-24-14 06:20 PM