05-05-15 03:58 PM
31 12
tools
    From what I've heard...people have been trying it anyways...and they are getting calling and EDGE data...but no 3g or 4gLTE...so you're not gonna get the full experience. I HIGHLY recommend jumping to AT&T though. I didn't think I would ever leave verizon...but AT&T has been amazing! Good service...rollover data...cheaper...and a beautiful white passport! *grins*

Wacky wide n wonderful!
    05-05-15 06:06 AM
    From what I've heard...people have been trying it anyways...and they are getting calling and EDGE data...but no 3g or 4gLTE...so you're not gonna get the full experience. I HIGHLY recommend jumping to AT&T though. I didn't think I would ever leave verizon...but AT&T has been amazing! Good service...rollover data...cheaper...and a beautiful white passport! *grins*

Wacky wide n wonderful!
    As long as you don't ever go into the sticks and want a working phone I'm sure AT&T is good. For me when I travel back home I would have a brick and even in a lot of spots traveling off of the beaten path.
    05-05-15 06:51 AM
    As long as you don't ever go into the sticks and want a working phone I'm sure AT&T is good. For me when I travel back home I would have a brick and even in a lot of spots traveling off of the beaten path.
    where is home kbz? For me, im in the mountains a lot, and so far...doing pretty well. I live in a pretty "sticky" area as well *grins*
    05-05-15 07:12 AM
    BB needs to make their phones with all the popular bands available. Then phones could be moved between CDMA and GSM easier. As Verizon gets their VoLTE system in place, the differences will be less, but the transition period will be several years
    Here in Canada, Telus (still with them since 90), Bell, Sasktel, MTS, Aliant, TBay pretty much all of Canada was CDMA with some towers still running. The only 2G GSM providers right from the get go were Rogers and Fido.

What Telus did was overlay HSPA infrastructure alongside its entire CDMA towers/footprint. It was a gradual process but basically removed the need to start GSM from scratch unlike other CDMA carriers around the world who have switched.

Even though there are still many EVDO Rev A devices being used on Telus...my parents (also with Telus) formerly on Motorola RAZR 2 now Z30 thanks to my hand-me-downs are now enjoying the benefits of the seamless overlay. Using an EVDO device then switching to a full LTE device while still on the same network by basically removing their device (ESN numbers) online via their Telus account and replacing it with the NFC enabled sim numbers that I bought for each of their Z30s. Since these were official Telus Z30s...the IMEI and actual device appeared on their account.

BOOM! CDMA/EVDO Motorola RAZR 2 one minute, HSPA/LTE BlackBerry Z30 the minute after...can't get anymore seamless than that.

My account however does not show the IMEI and device I'm using (unlocked Passport bought via shopblackberry.ca) only my NFC sim number, since it's not a Telus provided Passport.

Just curious why Verizon chose not to do the overlay route like what CDMA carriers did here in Canada. What is the advantage of waiting for VoLTE (voice over LTE) vs HSPA overlay which was very easy to upgrade to HSPA+ and now currently LTE again all possible while still having a CDMA footprint without having to go backwards to 2G GSM from scratch?

Telus evolved from CDMAone, CDMA2000 1X/1XRTT, EVDO, EVDO Rev A (overlay of HSPA begins) HSPA, HSPA+, 4G LTE.

Now that HSPA/LTE matches that of its current CDMA footprint, CDMA can be slowly taken down with virtually no impact.

I wish Verizon took that route because I loved their coverage when I roamed onto their network when I had my cdma/evdo devices including my Moto RAZR/RAZR 2, BlackBerry Pearl 8130, Storm and Storm 2. Then when I upgraded to torch 9800 and so on...it now roams with AT&T.

 BlackBerry Passport on Telus Network
    Last edited by qphone; 05-05-15 at 01:10 PM.
    05-05-15 12:08 PM
    All I know is if it ever does come to vzw, I'll be the first in line at the store.
    westiewanderer likes this.
    05-05-15 02:58 PM
    where is home kbz? For me, im in the mountains a lot, and so far...doing pretty well. I live in a pretty "sticky" area as well *grins*
    About 25 east of Galena IL.
    westiewanderer likes this.
    05-05-15 03:58 PM
31 12