Ok, this is just a little rant...but it seriously chaps my fanny that there isn't a BlackBerry Passport available for us Verizon Wireless customers. I mean...seriously, Verizon has been one of the only companies to carry BlackBerry hardware faithfully all these years and it seems like BlackBerry (and Verizon) have partnered in dropping the ball on this one!

If BlackBerry is truly serious about selling it's hardware on the same broad market that Apple, Samsung, HTC, Motorola and others do...they should consider including a CDMA radio in their "flagship" device for the probably many Verizon (and Sprint) customers that would buy the phone.

Are there any that feel the same way here?
    b121 likes this.
    04-28-15 11:00 AM
    Probably some stupid exclusivity deal with AT&T.

There was supposed to be a CDMA Passport for Verizon, which explains why there's a gap between the SQW100-1 and the SQW100-3.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 11:04 AM
    It's not only up to BlackBerry here. If Verizon asks, I'm sure they would not have said no. The issue here is that a Verizon Passport would be a very specialized production run, so BB would require a minimum order of X units that Verizon may not be inclined to place. Or Verizon just may not be interested. Either way, even if BB did manufacture a Passport replete with Verizon CDMA and LTE bands, if Verizon doesn't whitelist such a phone to work on its network...you'd end up buying a paperweight.

Thurask and/or ofutur even found evidence in the OS files of a Verizon-specific Passport (the SQW100-2, I think it was.) So BB was okay with designing/releasing one. It's Verizon who "dropped the ball."

Edit: damn you, Lord thurask. Always beating me to replies.
    04-28-15 11:07 AM
    CDMA needs to die!! Probably a combination of Verizon not requesting it and not enough demand for CDMA considering Verizon is even phasing it out. Did I mention CDMA needs to die already.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 11:11 AM
    CDMA needs to die!! Probably a combination of Verizon not requesting it and not enough demand for CDMA considering Verizon is even phasing it out. Did I mention CDMA needs to die already.

Posted via CB10
    Raino corrected me in another post that Verizon was not phasing CDMA out.
    04-28-15 02:13 PM
    Raino corrected me in another post that Verizon was not phasing CDMA out.
    Right... Maybe not just yet

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/03/v...r-3g-shutdown/

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/15...or-of-pure-lte

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/21...te-service.htm

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 03:27 PM
    Verizon says that they are going to transition away from CDMA starting next year (by introducing all-LTE phones,) but they are not going to completely shut down CDMA until at least 2020. This sounds like a reasonable deadline, but I'm not sure they'll actually get voLTE logistics worked out by 2016. Not only would they need voLTE rolled out significantly across the country, they would need to work out the details with other carriers. IIRC, Verizon's voLTE only works when both parties are on voLTE. So far, they have a voLTE agreement in place with AT&T.
    NtotheK likes this.
    04-28-15 03:46 PM
    It's a numbers game. Verizon wouldn't commit to a platform like BlackBerry with such a small (and shrinking) user base. They went out on a limb with the Classic, and that only after seeing the worldwide launch of the Passport. AT&T took the initiative with the Passport and made enough of a commitment to BlackBerry to score an exclusive. It probably didn't take that much, but it was certainly more than anyone else was willing to do. Verizon doesn't want to support BlackBerry anymore (because of the numbers game) but they also don't want to completely abandon their customers that still use BlackBerry. So they threw BlackBerry customers a bone and got the Classic.
    04-28-15 05:30 PM
    I left verizon to tmobile for passport

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 05:37 PM
    It's probably a question of pricing. Verizon wasn't willing to buy at a price or quantity BlackBerry was willing to sell at. Remember the device business is still losing money on a full costing basis so they would rather not sell them than sell for a price that they lose too much money on.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 05:40 PM
    I left verizon to tmobile for passport

Posted via CB10
    I would never leave a provider that I had a good relationship with for a device. Not being critical...it's just that I don't see the justification. A device is here today, and gone tomorrow...no matter what it is. Believe me, I've thought about going back to AT&T more than a few times...but I remember how much their CS has deteriorated over the last couple of years, and remember that was the reason (along with a 21% voiceplan discount & 25% accessory discount) that I jumped to VZW in the first place. Guess it's a trade off.

The only reason (although I really want a Passport) I'd think about jumping from my current provider (VZW) is because of crappy service, and attitude.
    krazyatom likes this.
    04-29-15 10:23 AM
    BB needs to make their phones with all the popular bands available. Then phones could be moved between CDMA and GSM easier. As Verizon gets their VoLTE system in place, the differences will be less, but the transition period will be several years
    04-29-15 10:53 AM
    It's not only up to BlackBerry here. If Verizon asks, I'm sure they would not have said no. The issue here is that a Verizon Passport would be a very specialized production run, so BB would require a minimum order of X units that Verizon may not be inclined to place. Or Verizon just may not be interested. Either way, even if BB did manufacture a Passport replete with Verizon CDMA and LTE bands, if Verizon doesn't whitelist such a phone to work on its network...you'd end up buying a paperweight.

Thurask and/or ofutur even found evidence in the OS files of a Verizon-specific Passport (the SQW100-2, I think it was.) So BB was okay with designing/releasing one. It's Verizon who "dropped the ball."

Edit: damn you, Lord thurask. Always beating me to replies.
    ^^^ This.

Basically Verizon sucks. If the OP is unhappy should vent at Verizon.

Posted Via The Classic
    04-29-15 11:09 AM
    BB needs to make their phones with all the popular bands available. Then phones could be moved between CDMA and GSM easier.
    It's doable, but again--the phone has to accepted by the CDMA carrier. The ESN must be whitelisted.

As Verizon gets their VoLTE system in place, the differences will be less, but the transition period will be several years
    So far, voLTE has not been as "open access" friendly as we would hope. In the US, there are two carriers who have rolled out voLTE: TMO and Verizon. Both of them control which phones can use voLTE. TMO, for example, has not allowed even the branded Z10 or Q10 to use voLTE, despite both phones being capable of it. Verizon apparently is allowing the Z30 on voLTE, but not all its phones (including the Z10 and Q10, perhaps) that are capable.

This may sound overly pessimistic and maybe Chicken Little-ish, but unless voLTE is brought under the purview of Title II by the time everything is done on LTE, carriers will dictate which phones may or may not do voLTE. "Want voLTE? Buy branded phone X, Y or Z."
    Last edited by raino; 04-29-15 at 08:44 PM.
    04-29-15 12:35 PM
    CDMA needs to die!!
    THIS, over 90% of the world uses GSM.
    04-29-15 05:08 PM
    So Verizon has VOLTE now? I figured once they rolled it out all the older GSM phones could be on it.
    05-01-15 09:28 PM
    So Verizon has VOLTE now? I figured once they rolled it out all the older GSM phones could be on it.
    Yep, they do: Verizon: We Now Have Over 15 Phones With VoLTE, 1 Billion HD Voice Calls Placed | Droid Life

But it's not available for all phones (but I guess the newer phones.)
    05-01-15 09:33 PM
    Will they at any point open other phones onto the service?

Will the passport at any point work on Verizon?
    05-02-15 01:17 AM
    Will they at any point open other phones onto the service?

Will the passport at any point work on Verizon?
    Unclear at this point. Verizon hasn't said anything, and my guess is, they probably won't say anything until absolutely necessary. I think it's more likely that we'll find out based on user attempts with non-branded phones. Keep in mind, for voLTE, you're going to need all of these ducks to line up:

-Verizon compatible phone
    -Verizon approved phone (if they still somehow maintain a system to keep non-branded phones out, like they currently do for CDMA phones.)
    -Verizon allowing all approved phones to get voLTE

With AT&T and TMO, conditions #1 and #2 above don't matter (GSM carriers.) But #3 has been a hindrance, because both carriers are selectively enabling voLTE (whichever way they're doing it.) No BB10 phones on these two carriers have voLTE despite being perfectly capable of it at the hardware and OS levels.
    ominaxe likes this.
    05-02-15 01:05 PM
    I bet at some point they'll have unlock codes that you can request to enable the phone to use VoLTE.

... and knowing Verizon, they'll probably tack on a fee for that code.
    05-02-15 07:42 PM
    I would never leave a provider that I had a good relationship with for a device. Not being critical...it's just that I don't see the justification. A device is here today, and gone tomorrow...no matter what it is. Believe me, I've thought about going back to AT&T more than a few times...but I remember how much their CS has deteriorated over the last couple of years, and remember that was the reason (along with a 21% voiceplan discount & 25% accessory discount) that I jumped to VZW in the first place. Guess it's a trade off.

The only reason (although I really want a Passport) I'd think about jumping from my current provider (VZW) is because of crappy service, and attitude.
    I left verizon and went to AT&T....and I could not be happier! I jumped carriers to get a white passport...sooo happy with it! When I bring it into the store...everyone wants to check it out...including the reps! Lol CS has been amazing...I have a much lower bill with rollover data....wow!

Wacky wide n wonderful!
    05-03-15 05:31 AM
    I have unlimited data with Verizon. The only way I'd switch is for unlimited T-Mobile. But I guess their service kinda sucks.
    05-03-15 12:28 PM
    I switched from Verizon and am in southern Iowa.
    Service from both mobile phone representatives is equal.
    I actually get better signal here on AT&T. OS is 10.3.2.500.
    I bought my phone outright and had it unlocked for free from AT&T.
    I have unlimited talk and text and 1GB data for $50/month. I mostly use WiFi and don't need much mobile data. No qualms with AT&T.
    The Passport form factor is worth it.

SQW-100-3 10.3.2.500 Allergy/Pulmonary
    westiewanderer likes this.
    05-03-15 04:05 PM
    Im not a phone techy, but I desperately and passionately do not want to part with my blackberry. I can't stand iPhone, and I am almost forced to think about it. I too am in the Verizon Network, and I am. just chomping at the bits for a Passport! If I buy an unlocked passport, can I not change over my SIM card and fire it up on Verizon? I live in Tennessee, and my wife and I are the Blackberry Hold-outs in our city. Our only option is to get the Z30 or the Classic. Not a bad choice, but I really want the passport. We currently still use the Bold 9930's. Thanks for any help.
    Larry Harper likes this.
    05-03-15 07:07 PM
    If I buy an unlocked passport, can I not change over my SIM card and fire it up on Verizon?
    No, unfortunately that won't work. Verizon's setup doesn't allow it.
    05-03-15 09:40 PM
31 12