I have started to notice on my Passport over the past week or so that the screen will suddenly just black out for no apparent reason. If left alone it will stay black for up to a minute before coming back to life again. There appears to be no set pattern to this blacking out and happens during many different operations IE reading mail, viewing photos, sending texts etc etc. I have not downloaded any new apps for a very long time. I am currently running software release 10.3.1.1865.

Could this be a problem with the update or something else? Is anyone else experiencing these unexplained blackouts??
    05-09-15 01:27 PM
    Has anyone experienced this situation?

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 02:33 PM
    No, I have not, one time it took a long time to turn the screen on using the swipe to wake, resetting the phone helped, magnets could turn the screen off if they are put on some specific location, I doubt this is your case but just saying.
    05-21-15 03:09 PM
    Yes it has happened multiple times in the last 2 weeks with an Att passport. I thought it was something I was doing but then it just happened while I writing emails or just browsing
    05-21-15 04:27 PM
    You could be inadvertently blocking the proximity sensor from time to time. If you do, you can swipe up twice to wake it.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 04:39 PM
    Well it's not the proximity sensor and no one specific app. May have to either wait for the next update to see if that solves the problem or return it to sasktel and see if I can wrangle a replacement unit.

Posted by a true believer in Blackberry.
    05-23-15 10:58 PM
    You don't need to wait for an update since most of us are on the same OS version and never experienced that 'blacking out', it only means that it shouldn't related to OS bugs or glitches that can be corrected with an update... try reinstalling the OS with total security wipe...

It should correct the issue if it is not hardware problem...

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 11:40 PM
    You don't need to wait for an update since most of us are on the same OS version and never experienced that 'blacking out', it only means that it shouldn't related to OS bugs or glitches that can be corrected with an update... try reinstalling the OS with total security wipe...

Posted via CB10
    you beat me to it
    I was to say - UPGRADE :0
    05-23-15 11:46 PM
    Do you have Hold to Stay Awake enabled?

Why is my Passport screen blacking out?-img_20150524_010839.png

Posted via CB10
    anon(153966) likes this.
    05-24-15 12:10 AM
    I've never used those features. I wonder if @CyberMan2013 is right...
    05-24-15 05:28 AM
    I will try this hold to stay away option and see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 03:50 PM
    Tried the hold to stay awake option with out success. Still encountering random black outs.

Posted by a true believer in Blackberry.
    05-24-15 09:38 PM
    I turned off all the interactive stuff off and my blackout issue stopped........ so far...... knock on wood

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 10:08 PM
    This is the flickering issue that was plaguing a lot of people.

I'm on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 and the problem doesn't exist anymore.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 10:30 PM
    This is the flickering issue that was plaguing a lot of people.

I'm on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 and the problem doesn't exist anymore.

Posted via CB10
    OP is on 10.3.1.2708.

I wonder if a hard reset makes it stop for a while.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    05-24-15 11:02 PM
    If after few attempts in reinstalling the official OS from scratch and still the problem persists, we can probably safely concluded that it is somehow a hardware related issue that bringing it to BlackBerry authorised service centre is the only possible solution...

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 11:26 PM
    How are you holding the phone when this happens? Are you laying down on your back with the phone over you?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 03:19 AM
    I hold the phone in a normal position. I'm thinking it must be a hardware problem so back to the dealer it's going. The phone is only 8 months old and still under warranty so it's going in either to be fixed or replaced. Right in the middle of typing this response it blacked out for about thirty seconds then came back to were it had been before the blackout. Weird and getting more frustrating by the moment.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 10:02 AM
    Yeah I would say hardware issue, that's if you did all the other software re loads. And have all the settings set to keep it on.
    Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 10:58 AM
    try pulling the SD card out, could be bad and causing a problem
    05-25-15 01:16 PM
    I hold the phone in a normal position. I'm thinking it must be a hardware problem so back to the dealer it's going. The phone is only 8 months old and still under warranty so it's going in either to be fixed or replaced. Right in the middle of typing this response it blacked out for about thirty seconds then came back to were it had been before the blackout. Weird and getting more frustrating by the moment.

Posted via CB10
    Can you describe how you're holding the phone when it blacked out and did you switch on hold to stay awake yet? If you hold the phone face down and it's more or less horizontal and something is close to the proximity sensor, that can trigger off flip to save power. If I were you, I would update my phone to 10.3.2.680 before returning it.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 02:37 PM
    Well phone is now back from RIM and working fine. No clear answer on their paperwork as to what the problem was. All it said was loaded latest software, replace battery cover??? And remove and reinstall new screen protector. Kinda vague if u ask me.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 09:53 AM
    Well phone is now back from RIM and working fine. No clear answer on their paperwork as to what the problem was. All it said was loaded latest software, replace battery cover??? And remove and reinstall new screen protector. Kinda vague if u ask me. Posted via CB10
    Strange are the ways of Blackberry Passport and RIM! That really made no sense to me but if it is working alright, all's well that ends well.
    06-23-15 01:30 PM
    OK so my Passport went back to RIM twice to try and solve the problem. After it came back the second time it was good for a while then again out of the blue the screen started blacking out like the other times. Quite by accident one day I thought hey this seems to be happening when I have a certain case on the phone so I did a little testing and sure as crap the screen would only blank out if I had it in a specific case which was a Stilgut Leather flip case. With the cover opened and folded behind the phone is when it would randomly black out. If I left it open like that it would eventually come back to operation but if I started to close the case it would come back immediately. Weird or what. I tried the procedure over a period of three or four weeks using my holster case, hard back shell case and the Stilgut Leather flip case and the only time the black out occurred was with the Stilgut. I have no idea why or how this happens but at least now I know.
    11-18-15 04:06 PM
    OK so my Passport went back to RIM twice to try and solve the problem. After it came back the second time it was good for a while then again out of the blue the screen started blacking out like the other times. Quite by accident one day I thought hey this seems to be happening when I have a certain case on the phone so I did a little testing and sure as crap the screen would only blank out if I had it in a specific case which was a Stilgut Leather flip case. With the cover opened and folded behind the phone is when it would randomly black out. If I left it open like that it would eventually come back to operation but if I started to close the case it would come back immediately. Weird or what. I tried the procedure over a period of three or four weeks using my holster case, hard back shell case and the Stilgut Leather flip case and the only time the black out occurred was with the Stilgut. I have no idea why or how this happens but at least now I know.
    I'm glad I found your post. The blackout on my passport is definitely related to the magnets in my leather phone case (not by Stilgut). It only happens when I fold the cover back and when my fingers linger on the keyboard.There must be a magnetic connection between my fingers and the magnet. I will probably buy another type of phone case. I hope this post helps someone else.
    06-14-16 03:30 PM