Hey all,

I received a Passport as a Christmas gift a few weeks ago and the battery worked great. I charged about every 2 days or so with moderate use, and when the phone was sitting idle the device monitor would say >3 days of charge left, even when the device was at 50% battery.

Over the last week, however, this has changed, and the phone struggles to last a day when fully charged in the morning. Now when it idles at 100% just unplugged from the charger, it only says that is has about a day of charge left. This obviously hurts performance when I'm actually using the device as well. It just seems to be draining significantly faster for no reason whether idle or in use, but I haven't changed any settings and no application seems to be draining it suspiciously.

Took it off the charger at about 9 this morning and it's down to 80%, with about 20 minutes of screen time max today. Before a few days ago, it would probably be at 93 or 94% with the same amount of usage. As a result of this issue, my average battery life from the device monitor has gone from 36+ hours to about a day.

Hope this was clear. Thanks in advance for the help. I can post screenshots of the device monitor if you need, but the only suspicious thing is that it drains more quickly than before. Steeper slope even when idling at night.
    01-13-15 01:45 PM
    find device monitor in settings click the 48h choice & you will see what consumes most ...a little lower brightness of the screen is the most effective choice to reduce consumption ...wifi & bluetooth & gps don't use much ...email & regular web browsing don't take a lot either ...watching movies streamed, video calling, & listening to radio or music via web eat resources including data like crazy ...do that on wifi !!
    01-13-15 03:18 PM
    Right but the point is that nothing changed in the way I was using the device but now it gets significantly less usage out of a single charge for seemingly no reason.
    01-13-15 06:19 PM
    In device monitor, below the graph in each section is the details consumption of each programs or apps. That would tell which has used the most amount of power, data, and else. Check that for battery and see which one is killing the battery. Display and system are always at the highest.
    It usually an Android app. I had the pre-installed Skype eating up battery about twice without even touching it. A hard reset will usually sort out the problem.

Posted from my Passport
    01-13-15 06:32 PM
    Seems that an app runs, even closed, in the background. Check your device monitor to see what ''eats'' the battery.
    I had similar issue with Skype!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    01-13-15 06:32 PM
    I've tried all that. All the percentages are proportional to what they were before, with system and display eating up the most and then whatever app I had open the most (usually Snap10 or Twitter) eating up the rest of the bulk. So say if display used 25% of my battery over the course of 12 hours of moderate usage before this change, now it eats up 60%+ in the same time period. Does that all make sense? Suddenly with same usage as before, the battery lasts no more than a day (less, really), and the idling battery usage is almost 10x worse.
    01-13-15 08:19 PM
    Did the screen on for notifications get turned on?
    01-13-15 08:46 PM
    Nope. The phone is used in exactly the same way, no new applications, no changes to any settings.
    01-13-15 10:34 PM
    Backup and autoload a fresh OS and just restore the settings. If it's the same problem then reload the OS but do not restore anything. If it did not fix it, then it has a hardware issue.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 10:46 PM
    On the display settings set the screen timeout to 20 s or less. That did it for me because the display is the hog on smartphones.
    Contrary to what a poster said here, listening to music with a blank screen does not consume your battery. Reading books or editing text files does because it uses the screen intensively.
    01-13-15 10:54 PM
    That's what I figured, I just wanted to see if there was any insight into the problem or if anybody else had had the same thing happen. It seemed to be working perfectly for a while and I had probably charged it less than 10 times total since I'd received it. Thanks.
    01-13-15 10:55 PM
    Again, even just the idling time without using the phone seriously drains the battery. I used to be able to leave it unplugged at night to charge it every 2 days and it'd lose 10% and now it loses 30%+.
    01-13-15 10:56 PM
    Hey all,

I received a Passport as a Christmas gift a few weeks ago and the battery worked great. I charged about every 2 days or so with moderate use, and when the phone was sitting idle the device monitor would say >3 days of charge left, even when the device was at 50% battery.

Over the last week, however, this has changed, and the phone struggles to last a day when fully charged in the morning. Now when it idles at 100% just unplugged from the charger, it only says that is has about a day of charge left. This obviously hurts performance when I'm actually using the device as well. It just seems to be draining significantly faster for no reason whether idle or in use, but I haven't changed any settings and no application seems to be draining it suspiciously.

Took it off the charger at about 9 this morning and it's down to 80%, with about 20 minutes of screen time max today. Before a few days ago, it would probably be at 93 or 94% with the same amount of usage. As a result of this issue, my average battery life from the device monitor has gone from 36+ hours to about a day.

Hope this was clear. Thanks in advance for the help. I can post screenshots of the device monitor if you need, but the only suspicious thing is that it drains more quickly than before. Steeper slope even when idling at night.
    Do you use gmail as primary email account?

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    01-14-15 03:02 AM
    Again, even just the idling time without using the phone seriously drains the battery. I used to be able to leave it unplugged at night to charge it every 2 days and it'd lose 10% and now it loses 30%+.
    And of course, have you tried a hard reboot?

Holding volume up + down for more than 5 seconds. It will display message that screenshot was taken, but keep holding it until it will turn off.

Sometimes it solves all glitches.

P.s. I have migrated from gmail to outlook, removed gmail from my phone, and now my battery life is 2 days instead of 1. Will same usage

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    01-14-15 03:07 AM
    Yeah I have 2 Gmails hooked up to it. I'm not sure that's the problem though because it wasn't affecting battery life before. And yep, tried a hard reboot too.
    01-14-15 08:24 AM