You sure you're not just seeing things? I haven't noticed anything like what you say, and honestly, I really doubt Apple or Google care too much that the Passport is being released. This is no magical comeback phone in that sense. It's not expected to sell in quantities that even make a dent in the overall marketshare.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Yet people rip BlackBerry for having that same attitude a while back

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 09:42 AM
    Yet people rip BlackBerry for having that same attitude a while back

Posted via CB10
    Huh? You mean for not caring when Apple launched the iPhone? I'm not sure that the situation compares, truthfully. iPhone was revolutionary in a lot of ways. It transformed the industry and ushered in a totally new era of consumer smartphones. The app marketplace concept was non-existent before Apple. That's just at the high level. The Blackberry Passport, while good (at least on paper), is just another smartphone. Sure it adds an innovative capacitive keyboard, but the rest is nothing new. Blackberry itself is not expecting to sell tons of these. If they did they would not be clamouring on about how "10 million devices is enough". If the Passport is a success you can bet that there will be pressure exerted by the other dominant players who will jump into the foray with their own variants of "the Passport".

I'll be happy if this phone puts Blackberry back on the map in such a way that it gets attention from developers. We need a stronger Blackberry native ecosystem.

08-01-14 10:28 AM
    There is no hidden, mysterious enterprise kingdom waiting to be conquered by BlackBerry. And if there is, it's already conquered by Apple. Passport is absolute opposite of Apple but it's not absolute opposite of BlackBerry - its a still device with same old message: tools-not toys, message which failed miserably.
    WorldwideRemix likes this.
    08-01-14 10:31 AM
    Huh? You mean for not caring when Apple launched the iPhone? I'm not sure that the situation compares, truthfully. iPhone was revolutionary in a lot of ways. It transformed the industry and ushered in a totally new era of consumer smartphones. The app marketplace concept was non-existent before Apple. That's just at the high level. The Blackberry Passport, while good (at least on paper), is just another smartphone. Sure it adds an innovative capacitive keyboard, but the rest is nothing new. Blackberry itself is not expecting to sell tons of these. If they did they would not be clamouring on about how "10 million devices is enough". If the Passport is a success you can bet that there will be pressure exerted by the other dominant players who will jump into the foray with their own variants of "the Passport".

I'll be happy if this phone puts Blackberry back on the map in such a way that it gets attention from developers. We need a stronger Blackberry native ecosystem.

I'm saying taking a competitor for granted is always comparable in some way. For all we know people might hate the phone.. or love it so much every manufacturer capable now produces capacitative keyboard phone

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 11:32 AM
    There is no hidden, mysterious enterprise kingdom waiting to be conquered by BlackBerry. And if there is, it's already conquered by Apple. Passport is absolute opposite of Apple but it's not absolute opposite of BlackBerry - its a still device with same old message: tools-not toys, message which failed miserably.
    The enterprise kingdom largely exists of firms that currently have BlackBerry phones in their fleet. They first want to keep what they have. I agree that their consumer base would be larger especially in developing countries .

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 01:54 PM
    1. Letterboxing is a dirty word. Read old monitor and laptop reviews.
    2. For many users, content consumption is more important than creation. See #1 for videos. But for non-mobile websites, I prefer a wide phone so I don't have to a) squint; b) pinch zoom; and c) turn my phone sideways. My Z10 is still too narrow, or I'm getting old too quickly.
    3. App compatibility. A lot of games don't support square screens, cf. #2. Don't forget how obsessed the average person was/is obsessed with Angry Birds and Candy Crush.
    4. It's not mainstream. Then again, I thought that being a hipster is about not being mainstream...but I don't closely follow the latest social trends.

So I'm not surprised that the "average" user is discomforted by a square screen, and by the BlackBerry name. Not that I care, I started with BlackBerry when they were on the downswing and foresee staying because most of the other solutions don't cut it for my needs.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    chalx likes this.
    08-01-14 08:12 PM
    For media, everything is business. No personal thing but pure business.

Those bashing BlackBerry devices must be getting something out of it. Media people are like Sales people, they're setting aside their personal stuff from job. I knew a lot of Salesmen that owns BlackBerry devices - and they love it! But at work, they have to promote brands that the company is asking them to do... and pay...

BlackBerry need to invest in media, if they want "surely" positive reviews...

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 02:53 AM
    Meh, let them talk.

It will get attention, and that's what's important.

Like it or hate it, as long as some people take a look at it, and are st least intrigued or interested in what BlackBerry has to offer, it's a win.

Blackberry will not be able to compete by doing the same thing, they have to push to be truly unique, in a way that the competition won't follow.

Posted via (hopefully) a passport A10
    Agreed

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 03:53 AM
    It's better to be talked about in any light than not talked about at all.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 04:30 AM
    It's better to be talked about in any light than not talked about at all.

Posted via CB10
    I completely disagree. Not all publicity is helpful to a companies reputation.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-02-14 09:13 AM
    I completely disagree. Not all publicity is helpful to a companies reputation.
    Let's make a simple example.

Option 1: people think BlackBerry is dead. Media doesn't talk about bb. Result.. people still think BlackBerry is dead

Option 2: people think BlackBerry is dead. Media bash them every damn week with new stories. People repeatedly keep hearing bb name. Eventually even the dumbest person figures company isn't completely dead

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 09:18 AM
    Let's make a simple example.

Option 1: people think BlackBerry is dead. Media doesn't talk about bb. Result.. people still think BlackBerry is dead

Option 2: people think BlackBerry is dead. Media bash them every damn week with new stories. People repeatedly keep hearing bb name. Eventually even the dumbest person figures company isn't completely dead

Posted via CB10
    Those are good examples. But if the people keep seeing nothing but bashing, they realize they are not dead but they also may believe the bashing and think the company sucks. Hence not buy anything from BlackBerry. So there are two sides to every coin.
    chalx, kbz1960, Berry_Pink and 2 others like this.
    08-02-14 11:22 AM
    Blackberry sucks or Blackberry is dead, can't decide which one will motivate more people to buy Blackberry device.
    Sent from my RM-892_eu_finland_202 using Tapatalk
    lift likes this.
    08-02-14 11:32 AM
    What do the media know about the BlackBerry passport? What do we know?
    Well we know it has a square screen and a touch sensitive keyboard. Do we know exactly how the keyboard is implemented? Do the media?

Play safe report the screen size....
    08-02-14 11:37 AM
    Blackberry sucks or Blackberry is dead, can't decide which one will motivate more people to buy Blackberry device.
    Sent from my RM-892_eu_finland_202 using Tapatalk
    My point exactly. Thanks for saying it like I wanted to but didn't get it out of my head to the keyboard.
    08-02-14 11:37 AM
    My point exactly. Thanks for saying it like I wanted to but didn't get it out of my head to the keyboard.

I've just "finished your sentence". I absolutely agree with you on this subject.
    lift likes this.
    08-02-14 11:44 AM
    Those are good examples. But if the people keep seeing nothing but bashing, they realize they are not dead but they also may believe the bashing and think the company sucks. Hence not buy anything from BlackBerry. So there are two sides to every coin.
    Fair enough fair enough . I think that's the problem though now. People either think they are dead (majority) or they are bad (few that know they still exist) .

The hard part is convincing people neither is true

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 12:21 PM
    Fair enough fair enough . I think that's the problem though now. People either think they are dead (majority) or they are bad (few that know they still exist) .

The hard part is convincing people neither is true

Posted via CB10
    True. But unfortunately I don't think the Passport is going to be the device to do that. Again, nothing against the Passport. I just don't see it doing any good for BlackBerry overall.
    08-02-14 02:16 PM
    True. But unfortunately I don't think the Passport is going to be the device to do that. Again, nothing against the Passport. I just don't see it doing any good for BlackBerry overall.

Same hare, I've started to like Passport and even thinking to get one, but I don't think its a device that BBRY should release now or waste resources on it.
    lift likes this.
    08-02-14 03:44 PM
    The media doesn't know anything they just reiterate the same recycled ****. Sadly that's what ppl see the most. So if blackberry got extremely positive reviews on the news, it would help a lot

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    08-02-14 04:26 PM
    Same hare, I've started to like Passport and even thinking to get one, but I don't think its a device that BBRY should release now or waste resources on it.
    You think cancelling it will save bb? Lol bs they'd be screwed. It's august

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 12:24 AM
    You do realize that sarcasm is the lowest form of humor.
    08-03-14 12:48 AM
    Perhaps they sense the Passport will be Blackberry's Trojan horse to break down the walls and really get Blackberry back into the game of devices. The stance I've seen most by media sources is pretty much, "it just might be crazy enough to work". And really the Passport's form factor is quite bold and unapologetic. It could set new standards for devices like phones and "phablets" if it really catches and brings nice innovative creativity in a market that's been dominated by the same basic form factor that was introduced by Apple's iPhone. IMO anyway lol

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    08-03-14 01:39 AM
    You do realize that sarcasm is the lowest form of humor.

No, lowest is slapstick. By the way, I'm not being sarcastic.
    08-03-14 04:34 AM
    You think cancelling it will save bb? Lol bs they'd be screwed. It's august

Posted via CB10
    I seriously hope it won't end up like what had happened to the HP Touchpad.

Posted from an ME173X
    08-03-14 06:59 AM
81 1234