People don't like change, and more importantly, people don't like BlackBerry. If this was a Apple product. It would be dubbed "innovative". With BlackBerry, however, that is not the case. I'm not usually the one to speak like this, but in this case it's true.

Posted via CB10
    It's a media war backbone by government agencies against BlackBerry. Government agencies see hard to crack BlackBerrys and that doesn't serve their purpose. They spent much money to promote google and android alongwith Iphone cause a basic application like Torch need all your privacy rights! Why a torch need your microphone permission, location, contacts etc., because NSA can sneak peek your phone. I am not against agencies or governments but they shouldn't violate our privacy!

Posted via CB10
    lift and Senor Wright like this.
    07-30-14 07:59 AM
    Because it's a ridiculous attempt to get market share back. This will be another failure for BB. All BB10 phones have been flops, at least stateside.
    07-30-14 08:58 AM
    From hate to love there is only one step
    07-30-14 09:06 AM
    It's a media war backbone by government agencies against BlackBerry. Government agencies see hard to crack BlackBerrys and that doesn't serve their purpose. They spent much money to promote google and android alongwith Iphone cause a basic application like Torch need all your privacy rights! Why a torch need your microphone permission, location, contacts etc., because NSA can sneak peek your phone. I am not against agencies or governments but they shouldn't violate our privacy!

Posted via CB10
    The government spends money promoting other platforms?

Oh.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-30-14 09:27 AM
    Those awakened are here...

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    spikesolie and Senor Wright like this.
    07-30-14 10:14 AM
    Because it's a ridiculous attempt to get market share back. This will be another failure for BB. All BB10 phones have been flops, at least stateside.
    Z3 they have sold very few, but to blackberry its a success.

Sure they havent sold as much in total as iphone sells on a launch weekend day or a making blackberry have 30+ billion profit in a quarter.

But its very cheaply made by foxconn and they are making profit and behind demand for the phone which is good and profitable.

BlackBerry is done selling 1+ million phones on launch weekend for a long no even if they make the best speced phone for 300$ or continue with niche.

Its better that blackberry is being smart and going after niche "for now" to build their brand name. Yes, passport sales will be low on launch weekend. Judging by the specs we know, it will be the highest speced phone to date. Rated the most innovated phone of the year because of the touch sensititive keyboard. No one will care. But at least they are on track, getting brand recognition.

People are criticizing the phone because of the brand. Look at Jimmy Kimmels itime or iphone skits people will blindly buy because of brand.

Blackberry will make so few passports just like they did with z3 and they will get profit and will call the phone a success. Outsiders will call it not a success because they wont sell millions.

What im getting at here it will be a success to blackberry but not to the public. End of story.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 10:42 AM
    When those in the target market get their hands on it, and use it in their everyday work lives, those comments will be the real measure if success or failure of the Passport.
    I'm hopeful that Blackberry is responsive to any suggestions by those that use the Passport to improve upon them after the initial launch. That's what I would consider to be a success.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    07-30-14 11:44 AM
    It's the keypad folks. It's revolutionary and if it pans out it can be used on more rectangular designs. I can't wait to own a passport. Few months and it's mine!

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    07-30-14 11:55 AM
    Most of the media guys, while they do see alot of stuff are pretty shallow about features / benefits, they can only focus on screen size / resolution, camera size, and memory.

There is alot of stuff that goes into optimizing a device for use. To understand it all at a deeper level takes time and energy these guys dont have with their deadlines.

So the Passport has a non conventional screen, that flies right into their 3 concept analysis, 300 words and they are done.

I have to admit, seeing the thing in real life, at the first glance you go, what!!

Then if someone explains to you all the features and benefits, you actually see how you can visualize a document in word on the screen, the very hi rez of screen, big battery, you can see taking this device on the plane and working on it instead of a tablet. But it takes some time....
    07-30-14 01:04 PM
    It's not just the media. Many blackberry fans have expressed their opinions about the awkward design the phone has.

I would even say we have made more treads about this on this forum than what the media has.

Again, this is what gonna happen, lots of fans are gonna buy this phone on the initial weeks. Then the phone is gonna follow the same pattern as previous bb10 units.

Posted via CB10
    lift, chalx and spikesolie like this.
    07-30-14 02:45 PM
    Go back ten years and everyone had square screens.... but people over the years have tended to buy devices that fit the content. Thus something close to a 16x9 ratio has worked much better. The Media is giving BlackBerry such a hard time, because that don't think BlackBerry has a clue of what they are doing. Hopefully the Passport was built for a reason and they will explain that at some point and everyone will say "now I understand".

If it's just "we won't to be different" or another play on the classic devices that once sold well.... inventory control will be very important.
    07-30-14 02:57 PM
    Those awakened are here...

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    It a good thing the threads are titled BlackBerry discussions, seems to be everything else except to bash BlackBerry. There are some who were "longtime ".users who moved on but they still come here to "help " code word for bashing. Using their longtime membership here as an excuse to be authoritative.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 07-30-14 at 09:00 PM.
    divyan and spikesolie like this.
    07-30-14 08:48 PM
    Stateside follow trends rather then common sense. Sorry but true. If an iPhone led you off a cliff would you follow it?

Passport looks fantastic, just wondering how the sharp corners will feel. But looks very professional. Almost like it should have a full leather case/wallet designed for it. Would feel like an accessory to a nice tailored suit, similar to a nice watch.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 09:08 PM
    My arn't we a positive Crackberry user. Maybe another form would suit you better?
    lift and spikesolie like this.
    07-30-14 09:29 PM
    Because the media is drunk, like I'm on my way to being right now. Cheers
    07-30-14 09:36 PM
    i guess there are two general possibilities to consider:

1. There is an active conspiracy among the market-leading mobile companies, tech media, and other internet participants to snuff out the Passport threat before it arrives.

2. There is a collection of Passport enthusiasts on this site that are sensitive to the speculative criticism that will always appear when a product like this is announced.

The first scenario would seem to require significant motivation and collusion among very large and diverse entities. A coalition like that usually only forms against the most universal threats in technology such as the future of the internet or NSA-level intrusion.

The second scenario requires that fans of a product feel compelled to gather on a forum, voice their opinion. and respond to critics.

Without regard to the merits of the product, which seems more likely?

My guess is that the answer to the OP's question is that the media aren't making such a big deal about the square screen. It certainly is a major differentiating feature of the device so just about anyone would have an opinion.

Perhaps folks on this thread are making a big deal of the criticism. It would be kind of like making a motorcycle with two wheels in the front instead of one and asking why the media is making such a big deal out of it and not focusing on any of the other features.
    07-30-14 11:33 PM
    i guess there are two general possibilities to consider:

1. There is an active conspiracy among the market-leading mobile companies, tech media, and other internet participants to snuff out the Passport threat before it arrives.

2. There is a collection of Passport enthusiasts on this site that are sensitive to the speculative criticism that will always appear when a product like this is announced.

The first scenario would seem to require significant motivation and collusion among very large and diverse entities. A coalition like that usually only forms against the most universal threats in technology such as the future of the internet or NSA-level intrusion.

The second scenario requires that fans of a product feel compelled to gather on a forum, voice their opinion. and respond to critics.

Without regard to the merits of the product, which seems more likely?

My guess is that the answer to the OP's question is that the media aren't making such a big deal about the square screen. It certainly is a major differentiating feature of the device so just about anyone would have an opinion.

Perhaps folks on this thread are making a big deal of the criticism. It would be kind of like making a motorcycle with two wheels in the front instead of one and asking why the media is making such a big deal out of it and not focusing on any of the other features.
    Silly assessment.. especially when you can see the cnn blonde dummy calling it a crap phone with no detail whatsoever. Just a figure of speech

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-31-14 02:32 AM
    It's not just the media. Many blackberry fans have expressed their opinions about the awkward design the phone has.

I would even say we have made more treads about this on this forum than what the media has.

Again, this is what gonna happen, lots of fans are gonna buy this phone on the initial weeks. Then the phone is gonna follow the same pattern as previous bb10 units.

Posted via CB10
    I gave you a thanks because I feel you make sense.

The product is geared towards enterprise, not consumers.. but according to you its many fans that will go buy it on launch day.

We do not even know the price. It might not be priced as a consumer product. But lo.. fans will be the ones buying it.

Go take your cold medicine please

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 02:35 AM
    Lots of theories here. I don't have the impression that the perception of the square screen has been all negative, with the exception of some, but of course it's covered by the media. The reason is simply that a square screen sticks out of the rectangular standard devices that you see everyday. Most of the devices look very similar nowadays, so the Passport will be a true exception. And I think that's very good.
    07-31-14 04:16 AM
    Everything about this device is out of ordinary - 1:1 aspect, three row keyboard, size. It's a strange device for sure.
    I'm starting to like it and if it's priced reasonably I might even buy it, but I expect it to flop.

The product is geared towards enterprise, not consumers..
    This line will be written on BBRY's tombstone.
    Last edited by chalx; 07-31-14 at 05:04 PM.
    lift and WorldwideRemix like this.
    07-31-14 04:52 PM
    Everything about this device is out of ordinary - 1:1 aspect, three row keyboard, size. It's a strange device for sure.
    I'm starting to like it and if it's priced reasonably I might even buy it, but I expect it to flop.

This device isn't for Tom **** and Harry, BlackBerry isn't betting the house on it either so forget tombstone.
    For individuals like you there is Android and IOS
    Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 05:09 PM
    For individuals like you there is Android and IOS
    Posted via CB10
    Passport just screams with same message. I'm not sure it's a good approach.
    07-31-14 05:35 PM
    Passport just screams with same message. I'm not sure it's a good approach.
    Good thing is, you aren't in charge. 0 balls

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 06:29 PM

For a dying company, BlackBerry deserves respect by giving them a nice tombstone! All the people working at that tombstone deserved to get fired!!!! For what? 4-5 years now they've been working on that tombstone and year after year after year they can't get it ready. Next year we'll hear the same rhetoric!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 06:31 PM
    What I see is widespread panic among fanbois of other platforms.

Haven't you noticed that there is a sudden influx of iphone and android supporters ( I must admit that their graps of English is so impressive. They know how to fight internet forum wars obeying all the rules, but to irritate their opponents to the core). Comments like " Crackberry is not a BlackBerry fan site" or " I am merely helping another crackberry brother/sister with relevant information about Android /Apple/Windows" etc. are evidences for the existence of such cyber warriors.

I think BlackBerry Passport shook the other platforms to the core. I also think that the assessment of Samsung / Apple supporters is that BlackBerry passport will be a pretty decent success, and it also will attract application developers towards BlackBerry OS 10. Couple it with the slow but steady raising numbers of BlackBerry Z3. There seems to be a real good factor to worry. Obviously the other platform warriors don't want this to happen. So what you would do in such situation?

1. Monitor every post with a keyword "Passport". Once seen, jump in and fire comments declaring how better is the latest android / iOS. Flood the post with irrelevant data and divert attention to somewhere.

2. Convince, confuse or plain scare away the curious newcomers who show even a slight interest in BlackBerry Passport. (�you know, candy crush does not work". "android applications running in Passport drains battery", "it is only 2013 specs", "BlackBerry is Deaddddd...!!" ).

3. Cyber bullying of moderate BlackBerry supporters and ensure their silence - people who don't like to get into pissing contests.

I think there are many more tactics they use to dissuade anyone from buying a BlackBerry and bring the company to its knees. I could notice only some tactics by looking at the recent posts in the last weekend.
    You sure you're not just seeing things? I haven't noticed anything like what you say, and honestly, I really doubt Apple or Google care too much that the Passport is being released. This is no magical comeback phone in that sense. It's not expected to sell in quantities that even make a dent in the overall marketshare.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-01-14 09:03 AM
81 1234