I use navfree for its offline mode, which comes in handy when the best connection you can get is 2g. I've found them to be updated if you keep up with the releases. The downside is that the search is local, which is much less impacting with the passport..

Posted on my Passport to the future
    06-13-15 01:18 PM
    Well I used to use Google maps only because it told me whether the location was on the left and right. I notice that blackberry maps does that now so I'm good. Google maps does make for a more than worthy secondary option.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 01:47 PM
    Once you get how to use it NavFree is very good
    i traveled through France, Spain and Italy with some very tiny streets and never had any issue (always the right indications even for the more remote streets), for a free app i expected some problems but i never experienced even one!
    I couldn't be more satisfied and never used the app i payed for Bemap Pro anymore.
    06-13-15 03:02 PM
    Well, I do prefer to use native apps but in this case I need to be honest... let me tell you what happened a couple of days ago... I was in a business trip, landed, got the rented car... my Passport wasn't able to open any Android apps after some kind of mess up with my installation of .2204... needed to check in in hotel and then, go to my meeting... BlackBerry Maps when I entered the hotel's address, nothing... searching and no results, try again later... I got to the hotel by myself, it was nearby the airport... tried several times with BlackBerry maps with my meeting address, nothing... I called, delayed my meeting 1h, reinstalled .2204, got the Android apps back, tried BlackBerry maps, nothing... tried Google maps, right after clicking the address here was my route... I can tell you, many people in my position would be: ok, I am done with this phone... that's not me, I love BlackBerry, but regarding the maps apps, you have to give honor where honor is due...

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 04:50 PM
    Native bbmaps works just fine. I will try one that doesn't use wireless in case I have little to no signal at all.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 05:35 PM
    Attachment 357389

Not in BBW??

Posted via my awesome Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.680 with T-Mobile Unlimited Data
    Not available on all devices...Passport is one. We sent a message to developers but no response yet. Search on computer will show it, more requests for Passport version would help.
    06-13-15 07:01 PM
    Those using Google Maps - do you have to patch it for it to work? Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 07:43 PM
    I installed Snap app and then type Google Maps, download, install and run

That's it

Here's an special section of Snap

Snap | CrackBerry.com

And the web site of the developer

http://redlightoflove.com/snap/
    06-13-15 09:54 PM
    Google maps provides public transit navigation, and that is why it's better for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 01:11 AM
    Google Maps
    - shows live traffic
    - knows all POIs
    - builds maps way faster than the native BlackBerry map
    - lets you choose the way of transportation
    - provides satellite view

I have installed an older version so it does not ask me to log in. For longer trips I use Mireo Don't Panic together with a speed trap warner. But in the city Google Maps is the best choice. I have looked at BlackBerry Maps but quickly dismissed it as it takes ages until the actual map appears.

Posted via CB10
    Which version of google maps u running?

Posted via CB10
    doby-nut likes this.
    06-14-15 01:15 AM
    Have the ATT version of Passport and the maps constantly loose my connection to satellites while driving. Not sure if it is just an ATT thing or what. I have heard turning off data while using it helps but have not attempted this myself (only read it yesterday).
    So that is. The next thing I will try. If it is a ATT data thing messing with the location services then not sure if any other mapping solution won't have the same problem. So kind of hoping an update hits soon from ATT then I can see if a gamble on another program is worth it. Don't use maps all that often but sure would like them to work when I do. Lol.

Does anyone else have the same issue as me? Running stock OS from ATT.

Posted via CB10
    I have read about the GPS problems other ATT Passport owners have had and can't say I've experienced them. I have used Waze and Google Maps and both have worked as promised for me. I haven't used BlackBerry Maps so I can't speak to its effectiveness. Got rid of the stock OS as soon as I could, 2558 and now 2726.

Posted via At&t Passport CB10
    06-14-15 03:53 AM
    BlackBerry maps is not up to date. There a lot of new roads and streets that BlackBerry maps can't find in the Greater Toronto Area. Then I have to pull out my Garmin Nuvi in order to navigate to those locations. Other than that BlackBerry maps does a pretty good job including traffic updates maybe even better than my Garmin Nuvi.

I'm assuming that Google Maps app would be up to date on all roads and streets , which would give it an advantage over BlackBerry maps.

BlackBerry, we need more updates on the Maps.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 07:19 AM
    Native maps is awful

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 01:17 PM
    BlackBerry maps not supported in my country. Oddly enough apple map has my country and both are powered by Tom Tom I've come from understand. So Google maps is the best alternative. Check cobalt's android app thread, Google maps working fine no pesky play services pop up and has the ability to save offline maps.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 02:07 PM
    The biggest problem for me is that you can't search up an intersection on BlackBerry maps
    06-14-15 02:13 PM
    I used to use the native Maps app on my Passport until I tried Google Maps. Here are my thoughts.

What I like about the native app:
    1. It launches quicker than Google Maps.
    2. Quick when I just want to pin point a specific location.

And here is why I switched to Google Maps:
    1. Much better route directions, especially when factoring in traffic.
    2. Easier to revise route directions.
    3. Allows not just driving directions, but walking, transit and bicycle.
    4. Better address searching.

Needless to say, Google Maps is my default map, route and GPS application, both on my Passport and on my laptop.
    06-14-15 09:06 PM
    Once you get how to use it NavFree is very good
    i traveled through France, Spain and Italy with some very tiny streets and never had any issue (always the right indications even for the more remote streets), for a free app i expected some problems but i never experienced even one!
    I couldn't be more satisfied and never used the app i payed for Bemap Pro anymore.
    I like NavFree as well. Very nice app if you want to download entire maps for countries, especially being free. And it also has some nice integration with FourSquare and Google Maps.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 10:30 PM
    Until you hit a rural area where this isn't any cell coverage for over15 miles.
    That's when you start to kick yourself wondering why didn't I download that app where the routes are stored in your phone.
    Now loss of cell coverage isn't BlackBerry Maps issue, but it's an area where another app shines giving reason t why people use other maps or a combination of BlackBerry Maps, Google Maps or NavFree.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680 Q10SQN100-5/10.3.1.2576 Posted via CB
    06-16-15 08:32 PM
    Native map is just ancient..no compete with Google map or Here

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 12:40 AM
    Lucky you :-) I am getting 2001 error any time I try to display anything.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 01:20 AM
    Bbry maps are from Tom Tom and do not have lakes in rural areas... Bbry says it is aware but can do nothing as it relies on Tom Tom. Google has the needed info!

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 05:59 PM
    The only reason I use Google Maps is because the ETA is more accurate. They factor in real time traffic more accurately than BlackBerry Maps. The one downside, my Passport heats up like crazy and the battery drains quickly.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 06:33 PM
    Any of you tried Mireo don't panic? Maps are on your device so it doesn't matter if you have a signal or not

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 07:45 PM
    Is BB actually officially supported in Kenya? I know in regions such as Japan, it's not officially supported, so certainly they're not going to consider that region in maps
    There are numerous blackberry handsets in Kenya and personally I use one, at the end of it is a map application and im sure it is not an up hill task for blackberry to plot the map and bring the functionality to all its loyals.
    08-11-15 01:43 PM
    One of my friend working in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia tried the native BlackBerry maps to go to one of their inspection site somewhere in remote region of Jeddah, S.A... they end up in Yemen-Saudi Arabia border... good thing that time, Yemen is still not in civil war...

Maybe now, BlackBerry maps on those regions are improving...

Posted via CB10
    haha! same here when I tried using BlackBerry maps I ended up in outer space! Good thing I have Mireo don't Panic now I'm back on earth..

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 03:25 PM
184 ... 34567 ...