Here's the result of my attempt to recover my cousin's account:

Attachment 307519
    Not sure what this proves about the big bad google except that you don't know the user name and they aren't just going to give out customers login info to anyone with vague references to what might be inside the account. (Yea, I know they're just non-free American's but they still care about your security...even if you are Canadian! ) This isn't their fault, as most reasonable companies that are concerned about your privacy (from someone claiming what you are claiming) would do the same. It's a very unfortunate situation that the user forgot all passwords, etc. and that they lost all methods (phone etc) to retrieve the passwords, etc., but it seems like a pretty rare combination of circumstances here.
    10-19-14 08:54 PM
    If you are concerned about the lack of guarantees from free email services, there always paid services that supposedly provide greater privacy. Here's a Canadian one, they might support POP3 fetching too:

https://www.hushmail.com/

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 09:01 PM
    OK, one more time:

In the absense of BIS, you can:
    A: setup an outlook.com account.
    B: sync it to your Passport
    C: foward your emails (that used to go to your BlackBerry address) to the outlook.com address.
    D: create an alias email address inside the outlook account...which is your pop email address. When sending emails, tell it to use that account AND it's SMTP servers. This way, it's going out the very same way your emails on the computer go out with the same path and same address.

Or, do the same for Gmail.
    Hey RedLight, this is really useful and is what I tried. With gmail. But I don't understand how to "set up an alias email address" inside gmail.

10-19-14 09:08 PM
    I have a old smtp/pop3 account. I use my Z30 and Thunderbird for email on it. In Thunderbird and Z30 I just use the flag where I leave email on server. That way I get email to both Thunderbird and Z30. No issue here.
    10-19-14 09:09 PM
    Hey RedLight, this is really useful and is what I tried. With gmail. But I don't understand how to "set up an alias email address" inside gmail.

Let me take a closer look at what I figured out with Gmail to deal with this, and get back to you.
    10-19-14 10:41 PM

Ok, in gmail...go to settings. Then Account and Import.

Send mail as:

Then, under this section click..."add another email address you own".
    Then, also under this section click...."always reply from default address" which will be the one you added.

In my case, I can have my reply-to set up as some other non-gmail address, and have the mail be sent out via another smtp server (my pop3 account from my ISP). If I don't do this, the return address with always say "On Behalf of (my address)..." next to the actual gmail address. You get around this by bypassing gmail outbound servers though the method above.
    10-19-14 10:49 PM
    NO phone will do what BIS did. So returning your Passport won't really help unless you hang on to your BBOS device.

You can simply replace BIS by signing up for outlook.com and having your emails forwarded there instead. They use exchange server for Push to your BlackBerry. Or Gmail for IMAP push.

You might not get all the filtering you had before (or maybe you will, not sure).

Sorry to tell you, but the NSA is watching your pop email now just as much as they are watching Gmail or anything else.
    Agreed!Setiing up an outlook account is your best bet and will probably be the most efficient.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    10-20-14 01:37 AM
    10-20-14 10:06 AM
    If you set Thunderbird to NOT delete email from the server until so many days, or when removed from deleted items, all you have to do the is go to the trouble to actually organize and file any messages you want to keep, and they will stay in your desktop client forever. You can also file them on your phone if you prefer.

That way your isp doesn't complain, if you keep up on your housekeeping, and you still have all email.

You can also set your phone to only delete on the device, so all the stuff stays in your client, but it probably will keep showing up until you delete from your client, I haven't had pop email forever.

As others suggested you could pay for an exchange mailbox, or you can even get hosted BES. for 5-10 bucks a month you could have nsa proof e-mail.
    10-20-14 10:45 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no google image.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	307717
    It's odd that you posted using an image and not text. That makes it harder to respond to your points.

First, your email, calendar tasks and documents are only in "the cloud" if you want them to be. At minumum, to share your calendar you would need to have the same calendar on google. People have been doing this for years. Do you think that the NSA is going to care if you have a dentist appointment? What were you doing for calendar BEFORE? BIS didn't give you that.

The providers don't need to 'keep you data backed up"...YOU DO. At any given time, I have multiple copies of my calendar. So, if google ever disappeared I still have everything in multiple devices and just re-sync them to something else.

You are completely over playing the incredibly slight possibility that someday you will sign in and nothing is there. Don't you think if this was happening that you'd have heard about it, considering so many people use this?

They don't "decide for whatever reason they dream" to lock you out of your account. Only if you violate terms or can't successfully prove you own the account. This is for Your safety and theirs.

Yes, they can get data. But the main reason they give it away is so you will use their web search which they want viewers of. They are giving you something for free to get you in their sandbox. Doesn't mean that what they are giving you isn't good.

They NEVER send ads to you or your contact list. EVER. EVER. Try to get over this total overblown hysteria.

ANY big company (or small company) may be compelled to provide data to government under court order. Learn the laws. And then ask yourself, what kind of illegal activity are you hiding.

Yes, Edward Snowden (an American, not from the "home of the free") told us that NSA is compiling data. But, this has NOTHING to do with your choice of email provider. They are looking at your current provider NOW. Say Hello!

The IRS? Wait...WHAT? The IRS is not the NSA. You are beyond help. We've tried to point out multiple ways to help you but you only care about telling your doomsday scenarios and ignoring what people are telling you.

That fact that you didn't even type text (you created an image) says you are paranoid. Do you really think the NSA cares what you think or when your haircut appointment is? And even if they did....YOU ARE CANADIAN.
    10-20-14 11:16 AM
    You want to use an old email service with an old phone service. Basically, since your ISP hasn't updated their email to something that conforms to modern standards you are blaming BlackBerry because their phone conforms to modern standards. And, saying how much better your old out of date phone is because it works well with your old out of date ISP.

This is a joke right?

My two small time ISP's that I have email addresses with have either updated their servers or moved me to a new server. I can still manage my two email accounts the way you have described because my ISP's are up to date, but I've moved to IMAP because the reality is it is that much better.
    10-20-14 11:41 AM
    The constant shifting between "I got it to work on Gmail, but need more help" and "uber paranoid conspiracy theorist" really boggles me. I'm amazed redlightblinking is still trying to help.
    10-20-14 12:13 PM
    You want to use an old email service with an old phone service. Basically, since your ISP hasn't updated their email to something that conforms to modern standards you are blaming BlackBerry because their phone conforms to modern standards. And, saying how much better your old out of date phone is because it works well with your old out of date ISP.

This is a joke right?

My two small time ISP's that I have email addresses with have either updated their servers or moved me to a new server. I can still manage my two email accounts the way you have described because my ISP's are up to date, but I've moved to IMAP because the reality is it is that much better.
    His concern about the ISP isn't completely off-base. Even big ISP's like Time Warner still use POP3. What is off base is the fact that the fix for him is incredibly simple: just use the POP server at his ISP, otherwise he must find a push solution that people have been explaining.
    10-20-14 01:32 PM
    RedLight, this still isn't working. I found exactly what you said and made the suggested changes. But messages off the passport still have the gmail account on them. If I send a message from the gmail account via the web interface, it is correct, the message was sent via my ISP's SMTP server. So, this leads me to think that the passport is not using gmail's or my ISP's SMTP servers. It's using something else, SMTP done by the carrier? I'll capture some headers later and post them.

By the way, used an image because CB will not allow a paste into this dialog box. I like to edit in a proper editor, then copy and paste the work into a forum reply dialog.
    10-20-14 01:34 PM
    RedLight, this still isn't working. I found exactly what you said and made the suggested changes. But messages off the passport still have the gmail account on them.
    Not sure what this means. Are you saying that when you send a message from Passport, the reply to address is the Gmail address? If so, you need to define your default account to send from and specify using your own ISP's SMTP. You would have had to give it the address and ports, etc and it would do a test first.

If I send a message from the gmail account via the web interface, it is correct, the message was sent via my ISP's SMTP server. So, this leads me to think that the passport is not using gmail's or my ISP's SMTP servers. It's using something else, SMTP done by the carrier? I'll capture some headers later and post them.
    Not sure why you think this. It's either using your ISP's SMTP, or Gmails SMTP. Those are the only two options. If your reply to address is Gmail, then it probably is using Gmails SMTP.

I prefer outlook as it work better.
    10-20-14 02:03 PM
    Not sure what this means. Are you saying that when you send a message from Passport, the reply to address is the Gmail address? If so, you need to define your default account to send from and specify using your own ISP's SMTP. You would have had to give it the address and ports, etc and it would do a test first.
    For sure, the message from the passport has the wrong headers. If I sign on to the alias gmail account and send the message via the web interface the headers are correct.

Not sure why you think this. It's either using your ISP's SMTP, or Gmails SMTP. Those are the only two options. If your reply to address is Gmail, then it probably is using Gmails SMTP.
    It is not using my ISP's SMTP servers even though I followed your instructions exactly. It used some google.com SMTP server when I sent a message from the passport and the headers were wrong. The passport has SMTP fields in the email account setup screens, I'm going there next. I'm sure that I will get to a solution, and I'll post the answer.

10-20-14 06:18 PM
    For sure, the message from the passport has the wrong headers. If I sign on to the alias gmail account and send the message via the web interface the headers are correct.

It is not using my ISP's SMTP servers even though I followed your instructions exactly. It used some google.com SMTP server when I sent a message from the passport and the headers were wrong. The passport has SMTP fields in the email account setup screens, I'm going there next. I'm sure that I will get to a solution, and I'll post the answer.

You could just change the SMTP on the Passport to that of your local ISP....assuming they allow you to send email from outside their network. That would be the simplest way to do what you want.
    10-20-14 06:56 PM
    They are quite happy with that, they use username/password authentication, so I can be anywhere and use their SMTP server. Full report on this tomorrow. But, RedLight, that wasn't what you suggested. You were pretty convinced that tricking out gmail with an alias would work, but it won't.
    10-20-14 07:03 PM
    They are quite happy with that, they use username/password authentication, so I can be anywhere and use their SMTP server. Full report on this tomorrow. But, RedLight, that wasn't what you suggested. You were pretty convinced that tricking out gmail with an alias would work, but it won't.
    That was my first suggestion because I thought you wanted push email. Gmail will do this, your ISP won't. But tricking out gmail is very common, in fact I know of small corporate offices that use Gmail as the back end and have everything appear as if no gmail is involved. I do this to. You must have missed something somewhere.

You might have better luck....if you want push....with outlook.com Very similar setup there too.
    10-21-14 10:19 AM
    So how do you forward your BIS email to a different account?
    10-22-14 09:21 AM
45 12