I say: Leave the vase-making and flower-selecting to people who know what they're doing. Not a car manufacturer.
    I tend to agree. Phone manufacturers trying to do it all is a failed paradigm.

Let me figure out how to make my device mine. Give me a utility I can use across BB10, iOS, Android and WinPhone.
    04-05-17 09:11 AM
    I'm aware of both file managers you pointed out but I've not done extensive testing on them to ensure my data is safe from any leakages.
    Here: _/\_ have a tinfoil hat. It's free.

However, the blackberry passport file manager works seamlessly out of the box especially with cloud storage, while the other launchers you pointed out have to be paid for without bringing anything new to the table.
    Good luck with the Passport's file manager on an Android phone, then. Also, BB's file manager only supports Box.com, OneDrive and Dropbox as cloud providers. If you have your data on Google Drive, Amazon or anywhere else, you're out of luck. Or you have to pay for e.g. PlayCloud. So why are you against paying for a file manager on Android that does all the features you need? You can even try it for 2 hours and get your money back if you don't like it.

With the rate at which our passwords and data's are leaked online, it is very important to know exactly who or what entity possesses your information, and I trust blackberry with my cloud information than another party.
    I trust BlackBerry's "cloud" as far as I can throw it.

Android mainly works with Google as a cloud provider. And they would lose their user base, and thus their value, very fast if they'd give away their user's data like BB did. And opposite to BB, Google even releases a report about these type of governmental actions. And there's no incident where Google just "lost" user's data to someone else through a breach of security. The only incidents I know of are via phishing or easy to guess passwords. So I'd say they've earned my trust over the years.
    04-05-17 09:12 AM
    And so how well do those categories and recommended options work - how often do you use those versus the search bar, to try and find an app?

How well do those pages represent the 2.8 million apps?

Again, these are problems technology companies are working on, even if you refuse to admit they exist.
    04-05-17 05:03 PM
    And so how well do those categories and recommended options work - how often do you use those versus the search bar, to try and find an app?

How well do those pages represent the 2.8 million apps?

Again, these are problems technology companies are working on, even if you refuse to admit they exist.
    They work perfectly fine. This isn't rocket science.

It would take all of 10 minutes for a complete newbie to find a great file manager, video player, picture viewer, and music player.
    04-05-17 05:14 PM

It would take all of 10 minutes for a complete newbie to find a great file manager, video player, picture viewer, and music player.
    That is after the complete newbie creates a Google account, gets accustomed to and comfortable with the store while learning a new phone. I'm guessing more than 10 minutes.

In contrast. it would take said newbie 0 (zero) minutes to find that stuff on his bb10 Passport because it comes out of the box with it loaded on.

And to answer OP guy, yes I think my Passport is worthwhile in 2017 and continues to be the most unique and coolest phone on the market. (Priv and KeyOne get honorable mention).

Via z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 06:29 PM
    That is after the complete newbie creates a Google account, gets accustomed to and comfortable with the store while learning a new phone. I'm guessing more than 10 minutes.

In contrast. it would take said newbie 0 (zero) minutes to find that stuff on his bb10 Passport because it comes out of the box with it loaded on.

Posted via CB10
    Oh the humanity.

Still far better to choose between a number of well developed, feature rich apps than being stuck with 4 year old default, basic apps.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-05-17 06:34 PM

And what if they didn't know what a file manager is?

Again, you dismiss something that is a known, and widely accepted problem with volume searches, and the internet volume in general - filtering.

Its also a problem when it comes to mouthy trolls. It'd be nice sometimes just to have them automatically tuned out.

What we need is, better control ourselves over content filtering, and better AI to match it. Otherwise there is always lost potential, and time wasted scrolling through pages and pages of info.

Human beings are evolved as hunter gatherers. They remember approximately 100 people, known as dumbars number. They are tempero-spatial creatures - they remember things if they are represented in space, not 2d. They also face decision paralysis when faced with more than approximately ten similar choices. This is why mobile phone and high grade technology stores don't bombard you with options.

2.8 million choices, give in a search query, or mostly guessing suggestion format, like using google to find some specific thing that's hard to query properly - its not humanistic.

The future is humanistic technologies, technologies that adapt to the way we work, not the techie mentality that humans, even though psychologically and genetically they actually cannot, should adapt to technology.

I mean this is a big reason touch ever took off in the first place, and swiping screens etc. It better approximates physical existence than folders and windows.
    04-06-17 02:56 AM
    And what if they didn't know what a file manager is?
    Then they won't be spending any time looking for one, nor should they.
    04-06-17 02:59 AM

Also 0 minutes in Android, as all that comes preloaded as well. Should a user want something different they may decide to spend a little or a lot of time looking around.
    04-06-17 03:02 AM
    Android is a toy that is trying so hard to be something else. We appreciate what android brings to the table, especially when used in tablet form or when installed on a laptop for when you have extra minutes to waste playing candy crush or 8 ball pool.
    Blackberry 10, specifically on the passport, is a serious no frills OS, and I understand why snapchat lovers hate it. No need to spend precious minutes looking for or researching out a file manager that works or configuring a launcher. It just works out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    04-06-17 03:11 AM
    Android is a toy that is trying so hard to be something else. We appreciate what android brings to the table, especially when used in tablet form or when installed on a laptop for when you have extra minutes to waste playing candy crush or 8 ball pool.
    Blackberry 10, specifically on the passport, is a serious no frills OS, and I understand why snapchat lovers hate it. No need to spend precious minutes looking for or researching out a file manager that works or configuring a launcher. It just works out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    One app that integrates with a few cloud services out of the box can't save a dead OS.

Also, it takes so many BACK presses to back out of nested directories, it's rediculous. Copy and pasting from one directory to another is just a chore.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-06-17 03:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    This statement is pretty much a wedge being driven between our BB10 and BlackBerry Android kinfolk - it's fairly insulting to those that have time for games and other things if they're done with all their other tasks.
    04-06-17 04:21 AM
    How can you say the passport is outdated. It works just fine. And the form factor is so unique and sexy that people would just love to pick this up. Especially the red version... aww man that is sexier than any girl i have ever seen.

Posted via my nokia 3310 (the old one)
    Buy yourself a KEYone. It will cure you.
    04-06-17 10:12 AM
    This statement is pretty much a wedge being driven between our BB10 and BlackBerry Android kinfolk - it's fairly insulting to those that have time for games and other things if they're done with all their other tasks.
    If you have an android device, and have time for games, please don't play candy crush. Play leo's fortune, star wars:knights of the old republic, shadowrun, modern combat, limbo, machinarium or something else decent. Too many people are making poor quality freemium games that play you and your credit card more than you play them.

As a side note, I don't see anyone buying a 900 dollar phone using snapchat too often. Snapchat is popular with teenagers.
    04-09-17 01:16 AM
    If you have an android device, and have time for games, please don't play candy crush. Play leo's fortune, star wars:knights of the old republic, shadowrun, modern combat, limbo, machinarium or something else decent. Too many people are making poor quality freemium games that play you and your credit card more than you play them.

As a side not, I don't see anyone buying a 900 dollar phone using snapchat too often.
    Who are you to judge people's preferences? The games exist because they're known to appeal to many, whether they're good or not. Personally I have RealMyst, Opus, After The End, and I've run through all three Room titles, but I also enjoy spending time with "fluff" games such as Kung Fury and Evil Apples.
    04-09-17 01:25 AM
    Who are you to judge people's preferences? The games exist because they're known to appeal to many, whether they're good or not. Personally I have RealMyst, Opus, After The End, and I've run through all three Room titles, but I also enjoy spending time with "fluff" games such as Kung Fury and Evil Apples.
    Well, then I apologise for insulting your love of in app purchases and advertising. Let the flappy bird lovers of the world unite.

Still, my advice is, for people generally- pay for games, and play the games. Or play a demo. Rather than have the games play you. Leo's fortune is about as fluff as I tend to get. Or osmos. That's pretty casual for me, I don't need any fruit ninjas, or temple run.

Did you ever play double dragon? That's been re-released on android I believe.
    04-09-17 04:22 AM
    Well, then I apologise for insulting your love of in app purchases and advertising. Let the flappy bird lovers of the world unite.

Still, my advice is, for people generally- pay for games, and play the games. Or play a demo. Rather than have the games play you. Leo's fortune is about as fluff as I tend to get. Or osmos. That's pretty casual for me, I don't need any fruit ninjas, or temple run.

Did you ever play double dragon? That's been re-released on android I believe.
    Your snide attitude is wearing thin. In case I wasn't clear previously, I'll reword my statement. People's selections of device, OS, the apps they use which includes games and how they use their devices is a personal choice and we do not tolerate members on this site getting overly judgemental about them. There's a marked difference between having an opinion and offering it for discussion versus making it obvious you think your opinion is superior to any other. Take a moment to learn that difference.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-09-17 05:44 AM
    Your snide attitude is wearing thin. In case I wasn't clear previously, I'll reword my statement. People's selections of device, OS, the apps they use which includes games and how they use their devices is a personal choice and we do not tolerate members on this site getting overly judgemental about them. There's a marked difference between having an opinion and offering it for discussion versus making it obvious you think your opinion is superior to any other. Take a moment to learn that difference.
    Okay, I'll be frank, to me, that seems pretty sensitive.

We are on a forum where people are pretty objectively rude all day long. There is argumentation, ego posturing, implied ad homs, sarcasm. And the mods aren't squeaky clean when it comes to conduct either. It's to be honest, a fairly hostile forum for a something as unimportant as mobile phones. It's not a forum I'll be on for long for that reason.

I've learnt a lot, but the personal exchanges leave something to be desired for me.

And you pick up on me bagging on the freemium model, which I don't think anybody could soundly argue isn't without flaws, and people commonly take issue with.

When indeed someone higher up in the thread that was part of conversation was also bagging on candy crush and social apps users without the same treatment.

"making it obvious you think your opinion is superior to any other" is pretty much the MO of the whole forum, as is bagging on apps, OS, and devices. If I tried to list all the places I saw that on this site, I'd exhaust myself.

It's an internet forum, we are talking about _games_. Not religion or terrorism. Chill man. Nobody who plays candy crush is going to start a war and neither am I.

If anyone is genuinely offended, I apologise. But I wouldn't lose any sleep if someone told me trine 2, or torment:tides of numenera was an aweful game. If someone prefers facebook Farmville to modern combat, great more power to them. People have different tastes

But I still think that freemium is a con. I think the model lowers software quality. And I am against it, for ethical reasons. It's skinner box manipulation.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-09-17 at 06:55 AM.
    04-09-17 06:27 AM
    Anyway, you never answered my question- if you'd like to talk about games. Did you ever play double dragon?

I used to love that game when I was a kid. The memories of the old arcade XD

Gauntlet as well.

I actually miss multiplayer games you can play with people in person.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-09-17 at 06:45 AM.
    04-09-17 06:34 AM
    Okay, I'll be frank, to me, that seems fairly overly sensitive.

We are on a forum where people are pretty objectively rude all day long. There is argumentation, ego posturing, implied ad homs, sarcasm. It's to be honest, a fairly hostile forum for a something as unimportant as mobile phones.

And you pick up on me bagging on the freemium model, which I don't think anybody could soundly argue isn't without flaws. When indeed someone higher up in the thread that was part of conversation was also bagging on candy crush and social apps users. That seems fairly selective, and particular to ME.

"making it obvious you think your opinion is superior to any other" is pretty much the MO of the whole forum. If I tried to list all the places I saw that on this site, I'd exhaust myself.

And your taking this all pretty darn serious. It's an internet forum, we are talking about _games_. Not religion or terrorism. Chill man. Nobody who plays candy crush is going to start a war and neither am I.
    Well said!

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 06:38 AM
    Personally I don't play games on my phone either. If I wanted to I would bring my android tablet.

As far as missing apps I really don't see what the difference is between using an app or a saved webpage to your homescreen. They load just as fast and appear to be the same. Bank's websites are secure just like the app. If you say features well that depends on the developer, that's not always the case.

As far as preloaded apps I think a phone should come with as little bloadware as possible but BB10 has managed their suit very well. As far as on Android it's unacceptable that some apps cannot be Uninstalled but BlackBerry has done a good job again.

To each their own but I still can do everything I choose to do and I assure you that other than games there is a lot that I do do coming from a jailbroken iphone to a rooted Android now BlackBerry Passport.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 06:48 AM
    Personally I don't play games on my phone either. If I wanted to I would bring my android tablet.
    There are some really good games for android and ios on tablet. Particularly PC ports where the controls would be way too fiddly, or really pretty games where you kinda miss out with the small screen.

I always feel like, when I have a phone sized screen, I don't want to stream movies, or play intense games. It's too small and fiddly. I'm like you, I'd rather rock the tablet (windows in my case).

There are some apps that deliver features websites don't. Like the uber app. But IDK, I think often the app thing is over stated. You don't need uber, you can just hail a taxi. It's largely more fun than it is functional. Something people like to be able to do, but when it comes down to it, they mostly just use a smaller number of core apps.

Guess it depends on what you need, but I don't personally imagine most people need 2.8 million apps, any more than the average person needs adobe illustrator.

But as someone that likes fiddling with toys, I totally understand the drive to kit out your phone should you want to
    04-09-17 07:01 AM
    We are on a forum where people are pretty objectively rude all day long. There is argumentation, ego posturing, implied ad homs, sarcasm. And the mods aren't squeaky clean when it comes to conduct either. It's to be honest, a fairly hostile forum for a something as unimportant as mobile phones. It's not a forum I'll be on for long for that reason.
    Sometimes you miss the comedy. We all do. If you do find something hostile, and not in keeping with the Rules & Guidelines, you should report it. Even if it's a post from a moderator. We are not above reproach.
    Drael646464 and nhatanh181 like this.
    04-09-17 07:28 AM

As far as missing apps I really don't see what the difference is between using an app or a saved webpage to your homescreen. They load just as fast and appear to be the same. Bank's websites are secure just like the app. If you say features well that depends on the developer, that's not always the case.
    Yes, but you can't generally deposit a check via the bank website.

Apps from corporations can and mostly do provide a tailor-made experience for mobile users.
    04-09-17 07:34 AM
    Yes, but you can't generally deposit a check via the bank website.

Apps from corporations can and mostly do provide a tailor-made experience for mobile users.
    Yes as you can generally email a check. Options are nice eh?

Mind you I have direct deposit and I can transfer money as I please

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 07:55 AM
151 ... 23456 ...