I think you definitely need to go off the grid, you've officially lost it.
    LMAO!!

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    04-03-17 12:55 PM
    Apple had a five-year head start on BB10, so you can't compare the two situations.

Your overall premise is that Google is evil, and must be avoided at all costs. This is an opinion not shared by most - many of whom are intelligent people too.

I choose to share my information in exchange for a wide range of services.

I choose to share all of my financial information with banks and advisors in order to receive a benefit. I also choose to share all my health information with medical professionals in order to get better service.

Frankly I trust Google with my information more than I trust my financial advisor or my doctor. Google has a strict privacy policy, and spend hundreds of millions of dollars a year hardening their infrastructure against attack.
    Five year headstart? I don't mean this current mobile OS war which I believe blackberry can be a great contender if efficient strategy is used with bb10. I mean the great MAC vs PC war of old. Blackberry can learn a thing or two from Apple's tenacity and how they profited with OS X despite the gaping software gap between the PC and the Mac years ago.

Also, Make no mistake, Apple also used the android runtime like strategy blackberry is using, even though better implemented to reduce choice by allowing the installation of windows OS if the user wanted

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201456

Blackberry 10 should have used this well worn strategy by allowing a backdoor for the installation of android as a full dual boot option not a runtime so as not to own the legal headache that came with maintaining their runtime.

As for your choices as per privacy, yes my doctor should have my healthrec and and banks my finrec, but not Google eyes and I don't want this information congregated.

As per your love for policies, using politics as an example, remember when Japs who had legal rights as citizens and perm residents were all rounded up and put in internment camps? Rules change, policies change and I don't see how in the long run, the compilation of individual data helps me personally. And it's not necessarily about Google being evil, or conspiracy theories. Google is a corporation, and the numero uno goal for any corporation is to maximize profits which is usually done by shifting the rule book. working with way too many industries has taught me this and should be clear to you.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ryder55; 04-04-17 at 01:07 PM.
    04-03-17 12:58 PM
    What do u use... all the social apps work except snapchat but you dont seem like the guy who posts doggie filter selfies....

Banking apps work...

E wallet works... i use paytm and sbi buddy on a daily basis.

Posted via my nokia 3310 (the old one)
    I don't think what he uses matters. As long as you and many members here are good with the current state of BlackBerry 10, and are good with it going down the road. It shouldn't matter what other people use.

I certainly dont choose a device to impress others
    Last edited by Carjackd; 04-03-17 at 01:50 PM.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-03-17 01:02 PM
    Hey as long as it works for you I don't think you need to justify yourself to anyone else. I'm happy it works for you and I absolutely loved my Passport. Hell, I could still get by with it if I so chose but I did choose to move on.

It is however a device that could be used in today's day and age no problem.
    04-03-17 01:04 PM
    Yes i can

Posted via my nokia 3310 (the old one)
    Can you post the exact version number or even the apk itself? thanks!

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 02:56 PM
    Rules change, policies change

Posted via CB10
    Google's entire business model depends on users' privacy and data safety. Without it, they would be out of business overnight.
    Last edited by conite; 04-03-17 at 03:58 PM.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-03-17 03:18 PM
    I think you definitely need to go off the grid, you've officially lost it.
    Definitely over the top there. Its a good looking phone for sure...but sexier than any girl you've ever seen?
    04-03-17 03:32 PM
    Google's entire business model depends on users' privacy and data safety. Without it, they would be out of business overnight.
    Not really.

http://bgr.com/2016/03/25/gmail-warn...nment-hackers/

They've been hacked etc and their biz model depends on their ability to innovate. Idk. Even if I lay out a carefully drawn model, you won't agree.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 04:41 PM
    Hmmm...you're a smart guy, but it's hard to believe you believe this! (And I like Google, but let's recognize them for what they are.)
    04-03-17 04:52 PM
    Not really.

http://bgr.com/2016/03/25/gmail-warn...nment-hackers/

They've been hacked etc and their biz model depends on their ability to innovate. Idk. Even if I lay out a carefully drawn model, you won't agree.

Posted via CB10
    They weren't hacked. The government was attempting to phish some passwords directly from Gmail users.
    04-03-17 04:54 PM
    Hmmm...you're a smart guy, but it's hard to believe you believe this! (And I like Google, but let's recognize them for what they are.)
    They are a business that makes money from targeting ads to its users. If the data wasn't secure, they would lose their users. The whole thing would fall apart.

Google spends more money on securing user data than some countries' total economies.
    04-03-17 05:01 PM
    They weren't hacked. The government was attempting to phish some passwords directly from Gmail users.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.b4d6af271b94

If Google is hacked, the chances of you finding out is slim to none

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 05:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    The Chinese government could probably hack into my bank, get my account numbers and clean me out 100x faster than getting my travel plans from Google. I'm not worried about either.

I take on orders of magnitude more risk of dying every time I get into a car than getting materially damaged from a Google breach.

No security system is perpetually flawless, but I am more than comfortable with the lengths Google is going to to protect my data from those who could actually hurt me personally.
    04-03-17 05:22 PM
    I had everything "working" on my Passport SE. Even my Pebble watch.

Then I updated to 10.3.3 and it broke bluetooth connections and SNAP won't load.

Switched over to my Priv since the software has matured and tinkered with my Passport until everything worked again.... except SNAP

Got use to the speed of the Priv and Android apps loading much faster than my Passport could. Never looked back. It's a nice form factor and "works" but just not as smooth and fast as any modern device.
    04-03-17 06:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm amused that your vehemently argued point of view doesn't take into account Yahoo has been been in the news for data breaches. Yet there's quite a few members on this site who have one or more Yahoo accounts. Google asks for data and it's up to the user what Google gets, and that's only pertaining to Google's offerings. Yahoo, Apple, BlackBerry, and Windows are quite a bit more vague on what they collect and give the user far less control over it.
    04-03-17 06:22 PM

How can you say the passport is outdated. It works just fine.
    Your post highlights two things.

1) Why the Passport is great for you likely others who are like minded.
    2) Why the Passport is a terrible option for some.

Almost every plus you highlighted is a hack, workaround, or compromise.

If I was someone who just wanted to fiddle around with my device and wasn't really worried about some of the smaller things in the world or the possibility things might not work the first time around -- You sold me.

If I was someone who just wanted something that works with little hassle, next to no research needed to pick up and use and wanted all the latest and greatest apps -- You just sold me on anything but the Passport or BlackBerry 10 in general.
    04-03-17 06:27 PM
    Your post highlights two things.

1) Why the Passport is great for you likely others who are like minded.
    2) Why the Passport is a terrible option for some.

Almost every plus you highlighted is a hack, workaround, or compromise.

If I was someone who just wanted to fiddle around with my device and wasn't really worried about some of the smaller things in the world or the possibility things might not work the first time around -- You sold me.

If I was someone who just wanted something that works with little hassle, next to no research needed to pick up and use and wanted all the latest and greatest apps -- You just sold me on anything but the Passport or BlackBerry 10 in general.
    Biggest fallacy I've seen on a post. The amount of workarounds and apps I need to get android perform simple tasks like efficient file sharing, good backup system, multitasking,a great file explorer without using Chinese hack apps or getting tons of ads for the simplest task is bar none. Android keyboard sucks, so you're forced to use shady third party keyboards or get stuck with the worst unintuitive keyboard.

I actually don't know what works on android except being riddled with infested applications that act as Trojans to feed you push ads riddled with all manner of spyware level tracking and analytics.
    Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    04-03-17 06:49 PM
    Biggest fallacy I've seen on a post. The amount of workarounds and apps I need to get android perform simple tasks like efficient file sharing, good backup system, multitasking,a great file explorer without using Chinese hack apps or getting tons of ads for the simplest task is bar none.

I actually don't know what works on android except being riddled with infested applications that act as Trojans to feed you push ads riddled with all manner of spyware level tracking and analytics.
    Posted via CB10
    Downloading a few apps from the Playstore to accomplish those listed tasks are far simpler than the workarounds neeeded to get a BB10 functioning with modern Android apps. Cobalt GPS, SNAP if you are still on 10.3.2.. patching, sideloading, etc. Also $100 Android phones load much faster than a Passport on Android apps. Multi tasking with Blackberry phones swipe up targets, convenience keys, and tile based RECENTS function are more efficient than BB10.

If you don't want ads, just pay for the apps like I did with BB10 apps. Don't even get me started on how many dead BB10 apps are still in BBW that I can't get refunds for.
    04-03-17 07:04 PM
    Downloading a few apps from the Playstore to accomplish those listed tasks are far simpler than the workarounds neeeded to get a BB10 functioning with modern Android apps. Cobalt GPS, SNAP if you are still on 10.3.2.. patching, sideloading, etc. Also $100 Android phones load much faster than a Passport on Android apps. Multi tasking with Blackberry phones swipe up targets, convenience keys, and tile based RECENTS function are more efficient than BB10.

If you don't want ads, just pay for the apps like I did with BB10 apps. Don't even get me started on how many dead BB10 apps are still in BBW that I can't get refunds for.
    Enjoy BB10s file manager for seamless connection with one drive, box and others. Just to get that done on android might require you picking up ES file explorer that has servers connected to China.

Have you used Google keyboard? It's like hitting your head on concrete so that might lead you to get apps like swiftkey etc that have completely removed their paid version to use a suspicious profit model.

Android has not released a proper method to backup your phone and data or just resolved basic issues, so you need more apps. It's so easy to manage bb10 and I'm surprised to hear complaints

Blackberry 10 gets launchers right and gives you exactly what you need with hub. Not so with android. The list goes on ad nauseam

My passport loads just fine so I don't have a problem with speed

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    04-03-17 07:20 PM
    Enjoy BB10s file manager for seamless connection with one drive, box and others. Just to get that done on android might require you picking up ES file explorer that has servers connected to China.

Have you used Google keyboard? It's like hitting your head on concrete so that might lead you to get apps like swiftkey etc that have completely removed their paid version to use a suspicious profit model.

Android has not released a proper method to backup your phone and data or just resolved basic issues, so you need more apps. It's so easy to manage bb10 and I'm surprised to hear complaints

Blackberry 10 gets launchers right and gives you exactly what you need with hub. Not so with android. The list goes on ad nauseam

My passport loads just fine so I don't have a problem with speed

Posted via CB10
    I can use a different keyboard. On my non Blackberry Androids I use Swype. Even better than the Blackberry VKB with swipe.

If you think the Passport has no issues with speed, you must think your 1990 Corolla is "fast" too.
    04-03-17 07:27 PM
    Biggest fallacy I've seen on a post.
    In your opinion...

As you see, I was nice to both sides of the fence. You're just wanting to bag on Android. To each their own, but you sound hyperbolic.
    04-03-17 07:33 PM
    I can use a different keyboard. On my non Blackberry Androids I use Swype. Even better than the Blackberry VKB with swipe.

If you think the Passport has no issues with speed, you must think your 1990 Corolla is "fast" too.
    I should know what speed is because I have various high RAM android devices. And why is swype better than swiftkey? Especially with it making about 4500 location requests everyday?

Many blackberrians leaving the passport are just mad the passport doesn't have snapchat LOL. Jk but something similar.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 07:34 PM
    I should know what speed is because I have various high RAM android devices. And why is swype better than swiftkey? Especially with it making about 4500 location requests everyday?

Many blackberrians leaving the passport are just mad the passport doesn't have snapchat LOL. Jk but something similar.

Posted via CB10

re swype and location: http://www.geekwire.com/2014/nuance-...location-data/

turn it off if it bothers you

It's better because it lists word suggestions after patter swipe, not during. I can change the wrong word suggested with a single click rather than the two clicks needed by BB swipe / swiftkey.

I don't even have a snapchat account.

Compare loading Amazon shopping app, eBay, using uBer (both mobile web and app) to name a few and get back to me on what you know about speed.

oh wait.. are you going to say you don't use those services so it doesn't appy to you?
    04-03-17 07:42 PM
    re swype and location: http://www.geekwire.com/2014/nuance-...location-data/

turn it off if it bothers you

It's better because it lists word suggestions after patter swipe, not during. I can change the wrong word suggested with a single click rather than the two clicks needed by BB swipe / swiftkey.

I don't even have a snapchat account.

Compare loading Amazon shopping app, eBay, using uBer (both mobile web and app) to name a few and get back to me on what you know about speed.

oh wait.. are you going to say you don't use those services so it doesn't appy to you?
    In response to a privacy concern, you gave me a company curated and crafted response. Lol. I wonder which member of their crisis response team made that up. Jk I don't know what to tell you.

I use the mentioned apps a lot.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-17 07:49 PM
    Well, now you're just proving some of what I said on your own. Thanks!
    04-03-17 07:49 PM
151 1234 ...