If you look at it using the OP reasoning... why bother ever updating... As most cell phones basically do the same thing.. allbeit differently... unsure what the expectation is..... as this is a first gen phone with the latest OS optimized for said phone... seems the OP should have waited for the kinks to be worked out... before the OP chimes in that the kinks should have been worked out... look at ios8 and the trials and tribulation that Apple users are going through... such is the market.... perhaps the lesson for the OP and other earlier adopters... be prepared for issues when you buy a first gen anything.... you will have issues...
    11-03-14 10:20 PM
    If you look at it using the OP reasoning... why bother ever updating... As most cell phones basically do the same thing.. allbeit differently... unsure what the expectation is..... as this is a first gen phone with the latest OS optimized for said phone... seems the OP should have waited for the kinks to be worked out... before the OP chimes in that the kinks should have been worked out... look at ios8 and the trials and tribulation that Apple users are going through... such is the market.... perhaps the lesson for the OP and other earlier adopters... be prepared for issues when you buy a first gen anything.... you will have issues...
    When I updated my iPhone to iOS8 all my apps worked. When I upgraded my iPhone from a 4 to a 5s all the apps still worked. Sorry it is unreasonable to expect apps to work from a Q10 to a Passport, it is ridiculous that a phone with more than twice the processing power and RAM running the same OS can't run the same apps as an almost 2 year old phone.

I need apps. Sorry, but I need apps. So apps not working means the phone isn't that useful for me. I realize that is not the case with the vast majority of Blackberry users.
    11-03-14 10:23 PM
    Get an iphone then. No harm done. Many Passport fans will fill the void. Personally I will never use IOS. Just my preference. Sorry to hear that app was not working. I believe when 10.3.1 is released officially in the next month it will have much better support for android. I suspect it will work then.

Posted with my 5 week old superb Passport!
    brotherqwerty likes this.
    11-03-14 10:26 PM
    Get an iphone then. No harm done. Many Passport fans will fill the void. Personally I will never use IOS. Just my preference. Sorry to hear that app was not working. I believe when 10.3.1 is released officially in the next month it will have much better support for android. I suspect it will work then.

Thank you for being nice. No harm done is how I feel as well. I guess I probably shouldn't have even made this thread in hindsight.
    11-03-14 10:29 PM
    Many if not most of you will completely disagree with what I am going to say. You are going to say I was not the right customer etc. etc. That is fine and I really do want you all to enjoy your Passport.

I returned my Passport today because I didn't feel like it was a 600$ improvement over my Q10. Yes, it has a much larger screen and nicer screen and battery. That was about where the benefits for me ended.

The same apps from SNAP that crashed and loaded slowly on my Q10 did the same thing on my Passport even with 3gb of RAM and a quad core processor. The kicker is that my bank app from SNAP runs on my Q10 but did not on my Passport. So overall I didn't truly see any better app performance.

The hub is the same hub, the camera is better but not that great and I carry a camera with me, the keyboard honesty takes some getting used to but still isn't as good as the Q10 keyboard in my opinion.

Again, it just isn't a 600$ upgrade. I realize this isn't like going from the iPhone 5 to a 5s for 600$ that this is a much different form factor but most if not all of the same issues are still present from my Q10 plus a few more on the Passport.

I really appreciate this forum and all the topics. It has been real ya'll
    android apps crash regardless even on an android handset, currently using a 1+1 as a tester and **** crashes all the time. Android as a whole is very unstable due to the 1000 oems and hardware developers cant code for it all. however for me im happy to get rid of my 1+1 for a passport very soon to get better apps and stability.
    11-03-14 10:32 PM
    I just ordered my PassPort yesterday, and as much as I am excited to get it, I can certainly appreciate your feelings toward this device. I've been with RIM, pardon me, BlackBerry since the 8800, and I will not forsake or give up on BlackBerry. EVER. So, the way I feel if you're with us you're not against us. Rock your Q, til YOU'RE ready to upgrade. You're still in the BlackBerry Camp. BB 4 LIFE.

Posted via CB10
    GeoK, surgeon1919 and thedose like this.
    11-03-14 10:57 PM
    I can kind of see OP's point of view. There are apps that I use too that work on all other BlackBerry 10 devices, but not the Passport. RBC is a prime example. It looks and functions terrible, and the mobile wallet function does not work at all.

However, I still think that the Passport is very much a worthwhile upgrade from the Q10 or any other BlackBerry 10 device to date.

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    11-03-14 11:10 PM
    It's never necessary that the passport will please everyone. Use the phone u r happy with. But yes you should give your new phone a fair chance. Probably the classic is the phone for you.
    geekaren likes this.
    11-03-14 11:22 PM
    So wait for 10.3.1.
    One example for a crashing app was Onenote! Since 10.3.1 is is working. So it seems that they made a step in the right direction.
    But if it don't fit your needs return it.
    Everybody has different needs and should take the product which fits best!
    My 5 cents!
    11-03-14 11:29 PM
    Rdio and Navy Federal Credit Union
    Rdio works fine for me. I also tried their Web site - which I prefer over the app. Can't test nfcu. I don't have a q10 to compare, but if yours is faster than the passport to load rdio, I'm impressed! Passport is several times faster than z10 to load, and the Web page is even faster. Horses for courses - hope you are happy with your q10.

Are you on 4g or wifi? Rdio might be bandwidth limited for you. Doesn't matter what you use, it will be slow due to all the network handshaking at the beginning. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 03:21 AM
    Many if not most of you will completely disagree with what I am going to say. You are going to say I was not the right customer etc. etc. That is fine and I really do want you all to enjoy your Passport.

I returned my Passport today because I didn't feel like it was a 600$ improvement over my Q10. Yes, it has a much larger screen and nicer screen and battery. That was about where the benefits for me ended.

The same apps from SNAP that crashed and loaded slowly on my Q10 did the same thing on my Passport even with 3gb of RAM and a quad core processor. The kicker is that my bank app from SNAP runs on my Q10 but did not on my Passport. So overall I didn't truly see any better app performance.

The hub is the same hub, the camera is better but not that great and I carry a camera with me, the keyboard honesty takes some getting used to but still isn't as good as the Q10 keyboard in my opinion.

Again, it just isn't a 600$ upgrade. I realize this isn't like going from the iPhone 5 to a 5s for 600$ that this is a much different form factor but most if not all of the same issues are still present from my Q10 plus a few more on the Passport.

Probably the best reason to return any phone - it failed to meet your primary requirements. A real shame, as I went from a q10 (via a couple of others including a z30) to this phone, and for me that was the never go back experience. You will probably get the thought police out en masse soon, but if it doesn't do what you need, makes sense. Banking app fail would be a return situation for me too. The only app fail I've had was Plex - worked on a z30 I had for about a month, but doesn't on the Passport (which is why I originally wrote the app mediaX). Sorry it was such a lacking experience for you and good luck with the net choice you make.
    11-04-14 03:48 AM
    Honestly, I don't know why you felt the need to announce you returned your Passport? - It seems like we get one of these threads every week and imo really doesn't serve any purpose.
    sure it does. balance.
    11-04-14 03:48 AM
    So wait for 10.3.1.
    One example for a crashing app was Onenote! Since 10.3.1 is is working. So it seems that they made a step in the right direction.
    But if it don't fit your needs return it.
    Everybody has different needs and should take the product which fits best!
    My 5 cents!
    that's the gamble though isn't it. return it or keep it and hope they fix it. That's what I did with a q10, and got stuck with it, and a phone that didn't do what I wanted for a long time. You only have a limited time to return a phone, you need to make a decision. I say if it doesn't do what you need that day, return it. You can't live in hope on what might get fixed later down the line. Ask any playbook owner how that worked out too fwiw.
    11-04-14 03:51 AM
    Thank you for being nice. No harm done is how I feel as well. I guess I probably shouldn't have even made this thread in hindsight.
    I'm glad you made it. Why is that? Because I'm in the same position as you. Some of my key apps not working (yet? ), still some issues with getting used to size & keyboard. I still struggle to figure out if the PP is for me or not. And threads like yours make me understand I'm not the only one.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 04:03 AM
    You are paying for a faster CPU, better screen, better battery, better camera.... The OS looks the same, but it is a better phone all round. Why upgrade from an iPhone 3g - the 6 is basically the same with just better hardware. Why upgrade anything that isn't broken?

The reason is you want better performance, or to be able to use modern features. I had a Z10. It would do basically all that my passport would do (yes, it didn't do FM radio, USB OTG and a few other things). It was slower, and had less screen real estate. Is it worth $600 to upgrade these? YES!

If you still prefer your Q10, then by all means use it. What is important for me might not be important for you. At least you tried the something new. Of course you can't complain when things stop working on the Q10 because it doesn't have enough grunt

I had a nokia 808 - brilliant phone. Awesome camera, great OS (yes, symbian was a great OS). It got old, and couldn't run modern things well enough. I upgraded. Do I miss some things, yes. Am I glad I upgraded to the Z10, yes. Am I glad I upgraded to the passport, yes.
    I still carry a Nokia 808 for the offline navigation, the excellent network pickup and the camera just blows any other modern day cameras away including that of 5S or Sam Gala S5- I have compared and just cannot believe the difference especially in low light conditions!
    11-04-14 04:18 AM
    I fully understand, the Passport don't feel your needs, you are still Blackberry user so it's good.
    I have the same issue for the bank, one app doesn't work from snap. I choose to continue on the website that is very comfortable on the huge Passport screen.
    11-04-14 04:36 AM
    I am not returning it because I "do not like" it. I am returning it because it doesn't meet my needs. I do like it, and I really wish it met my needs but it doesn't. Amazon is fine returning it so I don't see an issue returning it and as much as this forum would like to make me feel bad for returning it. I won't.
    yeah op just return it and buy whatever meet your needs.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    11-04-14 04:48 AM

A "crash" in a app is software related (wich is about the same between Q10 and passport), so if you thought increasing Ram and processor power would help, you got it wrong even before buying it. Better processor would only make it faster and more responsive.

When you say that there is more difference going from the iphone 5 to 5s, than Q10 to Passport, just WOW...
    11-04-14 05:05 AM
    It wasn't like I could even try it out or see it before I bought it.
    I'm completely with you on this. In the UK I haven't come across any phone shops that have a live demo to play with. I'm itching to try it because I think I'd like it, but until I know that, I'll remain on the side lines....
    11-04-14 05:13 AM
    Long live the 808. I still have mine in mint condition.

Posted via CB10
    Amen to that. With custom firmware installed. Still gives a run for their money to most of the point and shoot cameras.

On topic, I got the OP's point. I bought the Q10 paying full price when it launched. Lived though the horrible 10.0 and 10.1 OS experience. When Z30 came, bought that and never looked back ever since ( except camera department). Now , after 2 years of usage, I have an app dependency in BlackBerry 10 devices. Obviously when upgrade to a new phone I would expect that 90% of my applications works. I definitely would be disappointed that does not happen.
    Last edited by divyan; 11-04-14 at 05:25 AM.
    11-04-14 05:14 AM
    I'm glad you made it. Why is that? Because I'm in the same position as you. Some of my key apps not working (yet? ), still some issues with getting used to size & keyboard. I still struggle to figure out if the PP is for me or not. And threads like yours make me understand I'm not the only one.

Posted via CB10
    If you have to 'struggle' to figure out if the PP is for you then that is a good sign you should just return it and end the struggle. Just my 2cents. For the price we are paying for flagship smartphones today their shouldn't be a struggle to decide if you want to keep a phone.

Best to return it and relieve the stress. You could always get it again down the road when the price has dropped and the issues you struggle with have either been fixed or your mind has learned to accept them.

Everytime I look at my Passport their is admiration in my mind for it. Not struggle. #2cents

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    11-04-14 05:30 AM
    I can kind of see OP's point of view. There are apps that I use too that work on all other BlackBerry 10 devices, but not the Passport. RBC is a prime example. It looks and functions terrible, and the mobile wallet function does not work at all.

However, I still think that the Passport is very much a worthwhile upgrade from the Q10 or any other BlackBerry 10 device to date.

Posted via CB10
    Heeey...I use the RBC banking app on my Passport too and I thought it performs well!

I've done a lot of banking on it already and the RBC app always performs fast and never let me down. I don't think it looks terrible. It actually remembers my bank card number on the login screen whereas on my Z10 it didn't. I don't use the mobile wallet function though. Don't even know what that is lol.

So interesting how an experience can vary and be so subjective from person to person.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    11-04-14 05:38 AM
    Blackberry should of only released the z30, passport, and the classic. The idiots that run that company. Wonder why they been having money issues. lol. but i agree wit what ur sayin.
    Last edited by mikedolo; 11-04-14 at 06:28 AM.
    11-04-14 05:57 AM
    Sorry they don't have money issues. I think you are confusing them with someone else. BlackBerry is doing almost everything right to come back. Actually it may go down as one of the best come backs ever. IMHO. And not to long ago people were talking about its fall from grace. BlackBerry forever.

11-04-14 06:29 AM
    Go get your Apps son, they are plenty of options for you out there!
    brotherqwerty and gfondeur like this.
    11-04-14 06:36 AM
73 123