The whole point of having a camera on that powerful communications device is the ability to take pictures and then be able to "communicate" them. I use my phone camera daily for work. Snap a pic, attach to email and send. No need to grap a separate camera , a computer , etc.

I swear some of the people here use the same excuses Mike and Jim did. "Who would want a camera on a work phone?"
    What does this have to do with anything I wrote? I never said that you shouldn't expect to be able to "communicate" photos. You can do that. I simply said that....it's a phone. It takes pictures. But if they are not up to (insert some other specific standard here) is that really a reason to discount all the other MAIN features of the device?
    10-15-14 05:14 PM
    If photos are that important then logic suggests we buy a digital camera whose sole purpose is to take high quality photos.
    That was the most sarcastic funniest reply ive read haha good one
    10-15-14 05:33 PM
    What does this have to do with anything I wrote? I never said that you shouldn't expect to be able to "communicate" photos. You can do that. I simply said that....it's a phone. It takes pictures. But if they are not up to (insert some other specific standard here) is that really a reason to discount all the other MAIN features of the device?
    You should re read your post I quoted...

On to your new point, yes if an important feature you want on a phone isn't up to snuff then yes it's a valid reason.
    10-15-14 08:21 PM
    This video - entirely filmed with a Passport - suggests the camera is not as hopeless as claimed.

Posted via CB10
    bhrgvr and Jerryg50 like this.
    10-15-14 09:27 PM
    focusing has been an issue with all 10.3.0.1xxx
    10-15-14 09:59 PM
    Yes. The camera is slow .
    Slow to shoot.
    Slow to start.
    Slow to focus.
    Cannot shoot moving objects.
    Where is RAM master in all of this.
    RAAAAM.
    They need to fix this.

I agree w you because I feel the problem. Truth.

Still love my Passport.

Rabbi said, "PassPork." Filipino said, "Passfork."
    10-16-14 12:41 AM
    Yes. The camera is slow .
    Slow to shoot.
    Slow to start.
    Slow to focus.
    Cannot shoot moving objects.
    Where is RAM master in all of this.
    RAAAAM.
    They need to fix this.

I agree w you because I feel the problem. Truth.

Still love my Passport.

Rabbi said, "PassPork." Filipino said, "Passfork."
    To repeat what I said earlier in the thread: "The 10.3.0.1418 leak makes huge - no, HUGE - improvements to the camera app. Give it a shot."
    10-16-14 12:51 AM
    No issues on my end. Maybe my OS is newer. Anyway love the quality of the photos the camera takes.

Sent using the wondefurl BlackBerry Passport
    10-16-14 12:54 AM
    Why I Must Part Company With My Passport-img_20141015_135749.jpg
    Camera is superb.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    10-16-14 04:04 AM
    Update the OS. Also get in touch with BB support.

It would be interesting just to simply shoot the picture and see if it does the proper focus automatically at the instant it takes the picture. I have the Passport and have no issues with the camera! I took some terrific photos with my passport. The quality of the pictures actually approach that of a regular size pocket photo camera. I was very surprised at the results I am getting with a phone camera!

I also have a Z30 that I am using. It's camera is also excellent. I am using the Passport more as a small tablet than a phone. I use the Z30 as my main phone.

It is also a fact, if you really want super deluxe pictures, get an actual digital SLR or a high end pocket camera in Canon, or Nikon, or Pentax, or any good brand name of your choice.

--

Below is a picture of my Murano taken with my Z10 about a year ago which was one of the better phone cameras. This camera is only an 8 mp if I remember correctly. I don't have my Passport in reach at this time to upload some pictures from it. I am surprised at the quality of pictures from BB phones. I have also used the phone as a scanner with a program that I bought from Blackberry Downloads.

Why I Must Part Company With My Passport-murano-2013-10-03.jpg
    Last edited by Jerryg50; 10-16-14 at 06:21 AM.
    10-16-14 06:06 AM
    Update the OS. Also get in touch with BB support.

It would be interesting just to simply shoot the picture and see if it does the proper focus automatically at the instant it takes the picture. I have the Passport and have no issues with the camera! I took some terrific photos with my passport. The quality of the pictures actually approach that of a regular size pocket photo camera. I was very surprised at the results I am getting with a phone camera!

I also have a Z30 that I am using. It's camera is also excellent. I am using the Passport more as a small tablet than a phone. I use the Z30 as my main phone.

It is also a fact, if you really want super deluxe pictures, get an actual digital SLR or a high end pocket camera in Canon, or Nikon, or Pentax, or any good brand name of your choice.
    10-16-14 06:20 AM
    The results are great! It was an interesting video. Unfortunately, because there was some compression of the video data from the link or Youtube some quality was at loss. I have the Passport, a Z30, and a Z10. These all take excellent photos and make very nice videos for being a phone. The results from these phones is impressive. The Passport of coarse has one of the best phone cameras out there at this time.
    10-16-14 06:32 AM
    Come on guys, this really shouldn't be much of a debate. The camera needs some work and maybe, just maybe that is why there is a role open on Blackberry's web site specifically for a camera software developer in Waterloo.

Fingers crossed!

I'm not saying the current camera is terrible in this carrier release of 10.3.0.1418 , but it could use some work.

Outside shots in with good sun and you are ok, any sort of lighting issue and it's not so good. IMO

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    10-16-14 11:27 PM
    If photos are that important then logic suggests we buy a digital camera whose sole purpose is to take high quality photos.
    I would guess that he doesn't want to carry two devices!
    10-18-14 07:58 AM
    I have not tried the Passport yet, but had the same type of problem with the Z30.... The Camera took a long time to focus and it was a process to get the camera on.. At a sporting event it was almost impossible to catch the live action. Anyone else have that problem?
    10-18-14 08:03 AM
    Although the BlackBerry Passport Camera has not been tested by DXO Mark yet, it will have a huge hill to climb as far as DXO Mark ratings are concerned. Notice where the iPhone 6 is and notice where the Z10 is...

Attachment 306197
    Hmmm no z30 review? I've seen the iphone6 camera pics vs others and iphone6 isn't that good . Then again iphones aren't best known for pics. Seems to me a biased site and I don't blind myself with nonsense.

Sent from my brand new iphone6

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 08:18 AM
    I actually have problems the physical hardware in my passport and you hear the camera clicking as it moves in and out trying to focus and won't focus at all.

Maybe faulty camera.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 09:35 AM
    Did you have the camera set on Action?
    10-18-14 09:54 AM
    I have both devices (PP and i6+) and this camera discussion is ludicrous. The iPhone cam is far far superior right now in terms of image quality and ease of use. Hopefully this changes on BB as right now any type of lowlight shot is borderline embarrassing.
    10-18-14 09:55 AM
    I completely disagree. Have a look at the test samples comparing iphone vs Passport. Quality is near same and in some circumstances the passport results are better. I don't disagree with fact with focusing is slower on passport.

I have used both phones and don't see your point. I actually believe the BlackBerry 10 OS is easier to use. Again my only issue is with focus speed, but I have original OS so this may get better.

Sent using the awesome BlackBerry Passport
    10-18-14 10:52 AM
    The Passport focusing speed will never ever be as fast as the iPhone 6 because the 6 has phase-detect autofocus on the sensor. First of it's kind.

I use all sorts of cameras that have mediocre autofocus, or headscratching bits...simply because the other parts are so great. The Passport camera is attached to the best phone and OS on the market. 13mp with OIS. Time Shift is a killer feature. Something other phones don't have.

So if you can't learn to work with the Passport camera, then you're not really interested in much. Work with it, use it to its strengths and don't focus on its one or two weaknesses.

Posted via CB10
    rickkel and homl like this.
    10-18-14 01:46 PM
    Fwiw, BlackBerry DID just hire a new camera developer
    10-18-14 02:15 PM
    Time Shift is a killer feature. Something other phones don't have.

So if you can't learn to work with the Passport camera, then you're not really interested in much. Work with it, use it to its strengths and don't focus on its one or two weaknesses.
    Exactly. If you are taking shots of moving subjects explore the use of Time Shift and the "Action" setting instead of "Auto". You may be surprised at how well they work.
    10-18-14 03:03 PM
    In case people don't know.. you can long-press on the screen to lock focus on all BB10 camera apps since about 10.1.
    Focus will not re-adjust when locked. To unlock, tap elsewhere, or tap the lock icon.

Also, as always - software updates can address these performance issues.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-21-14 09:43 AM
    This is nothing an update can't fix. An update with more to offer that the rest have at this time. Hardware isn't an issue so let's wait and see what's coming next. I know 4k recording is one thing that's next.

*VI* Posted Via CB10 on my Z10*VI*
    10-21-14 09:50 AM
108 ... 2345