Well said, and referencing the HTC One was SPOT ON.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-14-14 07:11 PM
    I really don't get some peoples insistence on telling others to go get a camera. I have a fairly nice point-and-shoot, it takes great pictures, it easily puts any phone camera to shame. But, the last time I went on vacation I only used my phone. Sure, I brought both, but when it came to exploring the beautiful Hawaiian island I just didn't want to carry both. And, when it came to show off my pictures (and some video) no one was any of the wiser. My Z10 took wonderful pictures (albeit they were all in great lighting).

Also, in my office we have always had a camera available for when we need to take a picture of bad product, damaged packaging, boxes, labels, accidents, whatever. I've noticed lately though, our plant manager has stopped coming into get the camera and has just been using his Q10.

So it all comes back to this, why should I bother caring around a camera when my phone takes better pictures then I really need. The camera just becomes an extra inconvenience. Now, don't get me wrong, I've happily carried around a D300 while on vacation just to get my shutter bug on. The two are totally different experiences, when I want one I don't need the other and vise versa. so it does all come back to convenience and that fundamental convenience is being able to snap a quick picture when I need to.

Repeat, being able to snap a quick picture when I need to. Currently, the slow focus on the Passport is getting in the way of that. Now, I understand newer updates make it better... but please don't say get a proper camera. I have one and I don't want to carry it everywhere, I have an app for that.
    h20work likes this.
    10-14-14 07:16 PM
    I have to agree unfortunately. I think there's some work to be done in this area.

The hardware itself seems to be amazing, but the driver just isn't up to snuff.

I'm hoping there will be a little TLC put into this area.

Passport || Fido
    10-14-14 07:20 PM
    Mobile phone cameras are main reason for growth in popularity of social networks. Ellen DeGeneres didn't use a DSLR to take selfies at the Oscars.

Camera for me is a deal breaker since most flagship phones pretty much have the same specs (RAM, Chip, screen resolution). Like the OP, I take lot of pictures of my kids and events and send them out quickly via WhatsApp, BBM, or email. If a mobile phone camera does not have Image Stabilization or quick(er) focus, that model is low on my list.

I have a friend that use to carry a video camera, regular camera, and his mobile phone to events. That was in 2008. Today he only needs to carry his mobile phone.
    10-14-14 08:17 PM
    Point and Shoot Camera business is DEAD. Even sales of DSLR are down per the Wall Street Journal.

And most of use didn't by a BlackBerry because it is a phone. We bought it because it is a smartphone that has many capabilities, all the OP wanted was for one of those capabilities to work as well as IT SHOULD.

If he tries the update and it's still not what he needs, yes he can go buy a camera that he'll never have when he needs it. Or he can go buy another smartphone that has great camera built in.
    Wall Street Journal can post what they like, it's still for each individual to decide.
    All I know is that for true quality, I'm not even thinking about a smartphone as the top. Besides, most times I've wanted an excellent photo of something, I don't have my phone on me due to the nature of the activities.
    Whatever's clever.
    10-15-14 12:11 AM
    FYI, if you touch and hold the reticle in the camera it will lock focus.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 01:25 AM
    I so desperately wanted to love the Passport but it has one fatal flaw I just can't live with - the camera. It is capable of taking better pictures than the iPhone 6 Plus but the downside is the amount of effort and time you need to put in getting your subject in focus. I regularly have to keep refocusing because the Passport will get a crisp focus for a second and then lose it. It usually takes four or five attempts to get a focus lock and trying to do anything that's moving is a waste of time. I've got some lovely photos out of it that side by side with the iPhone are more detailed but I take lots of shots of pets and grandkids who are in perpetual motion and for that the Passport is currently hopeless. I'm pretty sure this can all be fixed with an update and due to the fact that I've got some well focused highly detailed photos I don't think my Passport is faulty. I'd be interested to know how other users are finding it?
    You can block/fix the Auto Focus by pressing the square in the milde of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Q10Bold; 10-15-14 at 05:46 AM.
    10-15-14 01:34 AM
    I'm glad to see that the update improves the camera; it's really all down to the software, and we know that BB can write excellent software.

But to those whiners who say "you should have bought a camera then if photos are so important", I would remind you that one of the key marketing points about the Passport (when they get around to producing any marketing, that is) will be that the PP's camera has the highest pixel count of any comparable phone. And mobile phones have included cameras in them for many years now - even though I couldn't see the point at first, I now use my phone camera at times when taking my camera bag would be inconvenient, and when quality isn't so important. Lastly, I was disappointed with the camera in my Z30, till I learned how best to use it, and how to work within its limitations. A camera phone will never be a substitute for a decent real camera, but it's a nice toy to have.
    10-15-14 02:29 AM
    Hi Legal Eagle. My software version is 10.3.0.675 I don't get an option to update it says I'm running the latest software? I got the Passport from Carphone Warehouse and it is unlocked. Any help appreciated.

I can wait for software updates to sort the Camera. I really like my Passport and it isn't much of a deal breaker for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 02:50 AM
    Yes. I found it didn't make any difference.
    10-15-14 03:27 AM
    If photos are that important then logic suggests we buy a digital camera whose sole purpose is to take high quality photos.
    I have been into photography for 40+ years and I say the same thing to folks who complain about the quality of the pictures from these pea sensor smartphone cameras. They where NEVER intended to replace a digital SLR, period.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 03:29 AM
    I generally don't understand the fixation with cameras in phones. It doesn't matter how many pixels or software fixers it has it's still taking a picture through pretty pathetic single prism glass or plastic optics. Optics are what make your pictures art, no amount of pixels will overcome the having crappy optics.

Anyhow, I also appreciate that people like the convenience of having a single unit to do it all, but I don't get their expectations of perfection.
    the subject really isn't "I can't create art with my passport" it's "I can't take in focus photos of my grandkids" which is a problem of a different scale.

as far as optics are concerned - we are shooting JPEG, guys. the limiting factor in the MTF for most phone camera optical stacks is the compression at the end of it rather than the optics.

and phone cameras are fine for what they are, and getting better all of the time. Not wanting to carry a point and shoot around (or a Leaf for that matter) given that phone cameras can do the work 95% of the time is valid.
    10-15-14 03:32 AM
    It's definitely not in HDR mode. It will hunt for a couple of seconds, focus sharply on the object I want, then go out of focus again. Update didn't fix it. I'm starting to wonder if maybe there is something wrong with mine.
    10-15-14 03:35 AM
    It isn't just grandkids. I'm finding 99% of shots are requiring me to keep reselecting the object I want to shoot until the Passport achieves focus. This is happening for shots of static objects. It takes 4 or 5 attempts to get the Passport to focus. As I said I'm now beginning to wonder if maybe mine is faulty. The update doesn't seem to have solved the problem.
    10-15-14 03:38 AM
    Nick,

You will need to get one of the autoloaders from the forum, Backup you phone and load the new OS.

Or is you fancy having a go with sachesi you can do it non-disruptively by getting the appropriate packages from the
    same thread.

Hi Legal Eagle. My software version is 10.3.0.675 I don't get an option to update it says I'm running the latest software? I got the Passport from Carphone Warehouse and it is unlocked. Any help appreciated.

I can wait for software updates to sort the Camera. I really like my Passport and it isn't much of a deal breaker for me.

Posted via CB10
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    10-15-14 08:14 AM
    Although the BlackBerry Passport Camera has not been tested by DXO Mark yet, it will have a huge hill to climb as far as DXO Mark ratings are concerned. Notice where the iPhone 6 is and notice where the Z10 is...

DxOMark Mobile - DxOMark

Why I Must Part Company With My Passport-screen-shot-2014-10-15-10.36.50-am.jpg
    10-15-14 09:40 AM
    I'd have to agree with antonyw999 here. The software for the Camera on 10.3/Passport is very unoptimised. It closes other apps frequently when opened even if plenty of RAM is accessible. Focus goes in and out all the time, even without moving the device.
    Has nothing to do with autoloaders or whatnot, this has been an issue since the OS version out of box, and .1418 hardly makes an improvement (maybe just slightly).
    With stuff like this it seems typical bugs we noticed on 10.1 on the Z10/Q10 are now plaguing the Passport all over again.

I'm sure it will receive a lot of updates (they just hired new staff for the Camera development team), but this should have been noticed in QC.
    10-15-14 09:43 AM
    Seriously, no one expects their phone to replace a SLR camera, let alone even a point and shot, in terms of quality. I don't believe a single person in this thread has actually even complained about the photo quality, that is when it actually takes a proper in focus picture. The problem we have is that we want it to actually take the picture when we point it at something and push the shutter button. At least this is the problem I have. I have too many pictures of the floor or some abstract of peoples legs when I thought I had taken a proper picture. I point the camera, wait for it to focus, push the shutter, wait another couple of seconds for the picture to take and bam it doesn't actually take... it's still trying to focus.

Frankly, the only thing I really expect out of my phone camera is the ability to take a picture quickly. I don't expect to ask people to pose for extended periods of time, like really, if that was my plan I would be using the SLR. What I expect is to be able to whip my phone out of my pocket and snap a quick picture when the unexpected happens.

Now, by no means is the camera a deal breaker for me but it is an expected convenience.
    10-15-14 12:37 PM
    IMHO if OP wants a literal camera phone, try the Samsung Galaxy K Zoom (Post is in No WAY offensive or sarcastic!!)

http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_k_zoom-6210.php

Z30 | Z30STA100-2/10.3.0.1418 | Globe PH
    10-15-14 12:48 PM
    Although the BlackBerry Passport Camera has not been tested by DXO Mark yet, it will have a huge hill to climb as far as DXO Mark ratings are concerned. Notice where the iPhone 6 is and notice where the Z10 is...
    One thing I don't like about these ratings is that we all know that software can make a difference in the operation of the camera and the saving of photographs. So this is a snapshot in time. Would be nice to have them tell the software version of all the phones and retest them when new software is released.
    10-15-14 12:52 PM
    I did notice the lag in focusing on the Passport. I believe this could be improved in future OS update. I don't think we should settle for less on the camera just because the Passport has the most big beautiful/crisp screen, stainless steel hardware, radio chip, USB OTG, and awesome 3-row keyboard. After all, it has 13MP camera not some dinky 2MP.
    10-15-14 01:08 PM
    I did notice the lag in focusing on the Passport. I believe this could be improved in future OS update. I don't think we should settle for less on the camera just because the Passport has the most big beautiful/crisp screen, stainless steel hardware, radio chip, USB OTG, and awesome 3-row keyboard. After all, it has 13MP camera not some dinky 2MP.
    What type of lens or lenses does the Passport have?
    Does it have Optical or Digital stabilization?
    How large is the lens and sensor?
    Does it have a two stage sensor?
    What kind of processing software does it have - tried and true, or one that still needs tweaking?

While the Passport might be YEARS ahead of the Z10 and Q10, the technology that BlackBerry put in the Passport's camera is YEARS behind the leaders of today. Many of who are making the camera the "star" of the device - most likely due to the popularity of using a phone to take pictures. For BlackBerry the camera is still an afterthought, but for many it's probably good enough.... since our Instagram options are so limited.

Comes down as always to what is most important to each individual or what you can live with and without.
    10-15-14 03:48 PM
    Mine is great. Slow with low light conditions but during the day and dusk, fantastic. Takes way better pictures than my iPhone did. Very please. Passport gets better and better every day!
    hpjrt likes this.
    10-15-14 04:30 PM
    I so desperately wanted to love the Passport but it has one fatal flaw I just can't live with - the camera. It is capable of taking better pictures than the iPhone 6 Plus but the downside is the amount of effort and time you need to put in getting your subject in focus. I regularly have to keep refocusing because the Passport will get a crisp focus for a second and then lose it. It usually takes four or five attempts to get a focus lock and trying to do anything that's moving is a waste of time. I've got some lovely photos out of it that side by side with the iPhone are more detailed but I take lots of shots of pets and grandkids who are in perpetual motion and for that the Passport is currently hopeless. I'm pretty sure this can all be fixed with an update and due to the fact that I've got some well focused highly detailed photos I don't think my Passport is faulty. I'd be interested to know how other users are finding it?
    I get that on occassion, but not very frequently. Most of the time my camera focuses fairly quickly and keeps it. But I have experienced what you've described once or twice in the 2 weeks I've had the Passport. And I used my camera quite a bit. Capturing work being done on the home now- before and after photos. And more importantly, taking pics of my kids playing soccer (football) each Saturday!

Good luck. Could be software related. Early leaks that I tried had crappy camera software. 10.3.0.1154 seems fine.
    10-15-14 05:06 PM
    Wow can't believe, best camera on any phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 05:09 PM
108 12345