Just wanted to share some of the relief and joy I felt in popping my sd/sim card back into my passport SE today and powering it up. I was using an android phone for the past week, and I guess it just didn't work out. This is *not* a thread about returning the android phone, it's a thread I started to express my love of the passport + BB10 to a passport specific subforum. Kind of an 'appreciation' thread - positive vibes for all ye fellow passport lovers!

Just some background and examples - I'm a photography hobbyist, and I like being able to carry my photos on my phone for sharing, viewing later offline, etc. This is why I love having an SD card. 3-5 times a week, after I take a handful of photos and process them, the first thing I do is to get them onto my sdcard and photo archive/collection.

My workflow on the BB10 passport:
    1) export my photos to JPG on computer
    2) launch blend, navigate to my phone's sdcard.
    3) drag and drop photos
    and bam, the photos show up in my "photos" app, ready to view and share my app.

Android:
    1) Export photos to JPG on computer
    2) launch "folder sync" on android, a 3rd party app that lets you wirelessly sync files from your computer to phone. run the sync.
    3) files are now on my SD card, but they don't show up in "photos" or any other gallery app.
    4) trigger a "media_scanner" rescan in android using another 3rd party app ("rescan sdcard") so it can crawl my photos on the sd card and re-index them, so that they are available to view and manipulate.
    5) wait 15-20 minutes (I have about 17k photos on the sdcard). watch battery drop about 5-8%, and note phone gets all hot.
    6) relaunch gallery app, and about 50% of the time the photos still aren't there. Navigate to settings/storage, unmount and remount SD card. Wait another 15-20 minutes and a 5-8% battery drop while the thing reindexes again.
    7) sometimes the photos still don't show up. force-kill gallery app, and relaunch. Once it still failed to show up then, and I had to restart the phone.

Same story with music - I'll download music from my home media server from http web browser for example.

Passport BB10:
    1) file manager pops up, I tell it where to save it (to my sdcard, usually remembers from last time), I click OK.
    2) From the home screen I type the name of the song, device search pulls it up immediately, and I can play it and enjoy it. Done!

Android:
    1) download via browser - automatically saves to "downloads" folder of internal memory without prompting me
    2) open up ES file Explorer, navigate to internal memory / Downloads, select music file I just got and "cut" it
    3) navigate over to external sd card, then music folder. "paste" the file in.
    4) go home, type on keyboard for universal device search. nope - not finding the song.
    4.5) optionally, launch my music app (phonograph) to see if that at least finds the song. nope, doesn't find it. time to trigger a rescan...
    5) Execute "rescan sd card" application to get the media card to index. 128gb, with over 90gb of it being photos, music, and movies. Takes about 15 minutes, and 5-8% of my battery to complete. (thankfully I found another janky app called 'folder media scanner' which lets me re-index a specific folder on the media card without scanning the entire sd).
    6) go back to home screen, start typing.. previous device search session comes back up. oops - delete characters, and retype.
    7) music pops up - click it, and it launches my music player to play the song.

Anyways, sorry for the novel. I'm just surprised at myself, as I'm generally the type to always have to have the latest and greatest gadget - but this is the first time I've purposely gone *backwards* back to the passport!
    moody, ce71, SeeBeeEss and 5 others like this.
    11-20-15 08:04 PM
    You are not the first and not the last..
    I can't just bring myself to the idea of not having a BB10 device..
    I had a nexus for two weeks and it is already dead and T-Mobile has another on the way for me which I think will have the same fate.

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    11-20-15 08:13 PM
    If BB10 dies, I'm going back to a bag phone, and a beeper.
    ediggity, CDot40, tatail and 1 others like this.
    11-20-15 08:18 PM
    BB10 on the Passport is the perfect combination! When it comes to ease of effort to get stuff done, there is no comparison! BB10 I shall use it until it dies!!!! No android for me!!!

8830<9650<9810<Playbook64<Q10<Passport
    11-20-15 08:31 PM
    If BB10 dies, I'm going back to a bag phone, and a beeper.
    Guess you need to start looking for a bag phone and a beeper that is going to work at this era of hi-tech communication devices...

If what we thought in Business 101 is correct, BlackBerry is probably doing now some reconstruction on its business cores and focuses...

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    11-21-15 12:00 AM
    Guess you need to start looking for a bag phone and a beeper that is going to work at this era of hi-tech communication devices...

If what we thought in Business 101 is correct, BlackBerry is probably doing now some reconstruction on its business cores and focuses...

Posted via CB10
    Lolwut? FYI, beepers are still used in many hospitals around the world and they still buy new ones every now and then. Sure, you won't find one in your regular phone store, but they are still being used and produced, so it won't be that hard to find one and getting it to work. If hospitals can do it, so can regular people.

You're probably right about bag phones though.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 01:10 AM
    Flip

Posted via CB10
    Fine. Palm Pilot and flip phone.
    11-21-15 07:27 AM
    The sad thing about what the OP wrote is now....BB will not advertise to the consumer this difference. Because somehow its better on the Priv???
    11-21-15 10:42 AM
    Lolwut? FYI, beepers are still used in many hospitals around the world and they still buy new ones every now and then. Sure, you won't find one in your regular phone store, but they are still being used and produced, so it won't be that hard to find one and getting it to work. If hospitals can do it, so can regular people.

You're probably right about bag phones though.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. I have four bag phones. My brother gave them up after a lengthy struggle and Telus ending support for them.

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    11-21-15 11:03 AM
    That said, I wish my passport was a passport slider. I need a long view of some content.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 11:08 AM
    This is exactly how I feel having gone from my Note 3 to the PP SE
    11-21-15 02:14 PM
    As someone who also relies heavily on the SD card, this is absolutely true. Had the Passport SE since Aug and the Priv since launch. I 'get' the android OS but I prefer the efficiency of the Passport. And yes, the growing pains of downloading a photo... where the heck did it go?
    kertong likes this.
    11-21-15 08:46 PM
    I bought the Priv on pre-order on 10/21. I've been using it for about two weeks... Today I took the SIM out of it and put it back in my Passport. I'm sending back the Priv. Unfortunately Android was way too unstable and had bad battery life. Google play services kept crashing, text messages would constantly fail to send, I didn't get as good cellular reception in my apartment as I got with the Passport and the hub on the Priv is nothing remotely close to as efficient or effective as the hub in BB OS 10. I had factory reset the phone numerous times trying to address the issues, but they always continued to occur. I had nothing but excitement for the Priv and totally ignored the naysayers, but after a full two week experience I'm praying that they continue with BB OS, it's just simply the best mobile phone operating system on Earth. Who knows maybe the Android experiment improves, but I don't want to be the guinea pig in that experiment. I simply need my phone to be reliable and always work and not a glorified app launcher. After all they still are primarily communication devices.
    11-21-15 09:26 PM