09-02-15 08:04 AM
142 ... 456
tools
    Something to add. Going by Chen's comments, he stated that the future of BlackBerry apps requires cross platform relationships. That does not sound like changing platforms. That sounds like making a deal with Google. It is possible that the slider and possibly more devices is the deal with Google to get access to Google Servies on BB10. Both sides benefit.

Android has been getting killed by Apple when it comes to enterprise. Making these devices puts Android back in the enterprise. Google does not care who makes it, so long as it is available for Android. Blackberry would be happy to have its branding deliver this. They may not make that much on the hardware side, but the deal may allow BB10 to access Google Services even as an exception to its terms.

It's tough to imagine since Android would be a competitor to Blackberry in the enterprise market. But in this case, BlackBerry would benefit on the software side of things since it will be their patented technology.

On the Google side, they probably don't feel at all threatened by BlackBerry having success.

We may be jumping the gun with this whole EOL talk for BB10. Especially if you read into Chen's cryptic responses about the future of apps.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by leglace1; 08-30-15 at 10:09 AM.
    RLTurn77 and j21jam6 like this.
    08-30-15 09:34 AM
    I received my SE Passport two weeks ago and returned it yesterday. I came from an Android device and a Z10 before that. I just could not deal with the work arounds of installing apps like Uber and other Google apps that I use for work. I love BB10's hub and the PKB of the Passport and all the other things that make BB10 unique. I became frustrated and am now relying on rumors of a Passport Android device. Does this make me a sellout? Nope. I like many others am tired of having to work around sideloading and spending countless hours of research on how to install a simple app that comes preloaded on an iPhone or Android device. Is Android as secure as BB10? Nope...but I'll take the risk. Facebook for example sucks on BB10. Seems like a simple fix keeping it updated but it's pretty much been abandoned. I can't stand the mobile version and why should I have to install a Jellybean version through Cobalt's work around just to get a working version. I could go on but won't. I for one am looking forward to an Android Passport.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    The Cobalt workaround for me is pretty brilliant. 9x out of 10, the apps I needed just worked by installing it through the Play store app which really just required I install 3 APK's and not side load a single thing. I get to install apps straight up. I have all the apps I need, including fantasy football apps from Yahoo CBSSports. I don't feel I compromised at all.

For those apps that didn't work, I did use the Lucky Patcher app to fix. That has worked on most of what I tried it on. That is the only workaround, but I am damn glad it exists. If you consider that having access to 99% of Android apps with the Cobalt solution while having a BlackBerry, it is rather impressive when you factor a handful of native apps.

I patched 3 apps, Scout Navigation, GMAPS, and GEICO app to get full access or to get rid of nagging messages.

I used Shortcut creator from BlackBerry world to create a mobile Web app shortcut access to LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google+. It takes 20-30 seconds. They work amazingly well and look great on the Passport. The BlackBerry linkedin and Facebook app will continue to notify you and allow for hub messaging. Again this may sound like a workaround, but once you have this installed and use it regularly, you won't feel like you compromised.

As for uber, you can add the mobile version as well as that works extremely well or find one that was patched successfully.

Depending on how you use apps and what apps you need, BB10 devices may work perfectly fine for you. Some android apps do not work well. Some of the time it is a poorly made Android app. Other times it could be a runtime limitation. But it may not work for you and you may be better off on an iOS or Android device.

Posted via CB10
    RLTurn77 and rkakkar like this.
    08-30-15 10:08 AM
    Thank you for this well thought out, insightful response :-)

Posted via CB10
    I respect the OP insight, but to be honest all you say makes little sense. That is why the who cares. First you say you are a BB supporter then you cancel your order, sell your shares, and comment negatively in gerneral. Yet you are entertaining the possibility of getting a SE when it goes on sale. If you really get it what was the point of your thread other than trolling Bb. It really makes no sense.
    08-30-15 11:24 AM
    I respect the OP insight, but to be honest all you say makes little sense. That is why the who cares. First you say you are a BB supporter then you cancel your order, sell your shares, and comment negatively in gerneral. Yet you are entertaining the possibility of getting a SE when it goes on sale. If you really get it what was the point of your thread other than trolling Bb. It really makes no sense.
    Thanks for an actual response, but again, you are making false assumptions. I just re-read my original post and I really don't see the negativity in it. I'm expressing why I ultimately did cancel the order and a lot had to do with the company.

BlackBerry will survive regardless of the handset division. Chen is making sure of that. I've said and maintained that I'm a BlackBerry supporter since the beginning of this thread onward. You make it seem as if all of the sudden I just said "F BlackBerry", cancelled everything, and left the platform.

The truth is that I have a collection of devices. The shares I sold were months back when I felt we were getting more and more non-answers and the company continued shrinking. The stock price has many other factors and manipulators as well, but does indicate perception to a point or I would not have even mentioned it. I also put out more than I really wanted to with personal information. If I had stock in Apple, I likely would have sold around the same time.

As far as entertaining the idea of getting the Silver Edition on sale... it's a strong possibility depending on the future of the platform. I do have a nice collection... I gave away one of my Z30s in the "Pay it Forward" thread, but still have a nice collection and absolutely love the Passport. Just tried using the Z30 for a few days and typing was painful, but watching videos on it was refreshing.

I just think you are misunderstanding my original post and with all of the follow-up posts I've made I do think it is pretty clear that I do support BlackBerry. The one comment that just said "why nobody cares" seemed childish to me. We are all adults and I don't at all understand that type of response; it was as if the poster just read the title without reading anything that I posted.

To add to that, I was lucky enough to get an original black and a red Passport during the fall of 2014 for $449 and $499. I've already wrote that, in my current situation, it doesn't make sense to spend so much more on a Passport in a new shell. It is very much improved which is why it is possible that I'd pick one up. It will depend on factors within BlackBerry that are out of my hands though.

My original post was meant to express my feelings on BlackBerry, as a fan, and to hear others as well. Do you really believe I would take all of this time out of my life to learn as much as I can about BlackBerry just to troll the company on a fan forum? I'm very passionate about BlackBerry and what better place to discuss the future possibilities as well as the current situation with the company other than on CrackBerry?

If I do end up getting the Silver Edition Passport down the road I still don't see this thread as useless. It is fun to speculate about the possibilities with hardware going forward as well as discuss the current perception of the company. This thread would not still be going if I was just trolling the forum. I think it is pretty clear that I'm not.

Maybe in your opinion it doesn't make any sense... and I'll respect your opinion, but we all have our opinions and it's nice to have a place like this where we are all passionate about the same company, yet we can see each other's differences and maintain our own opinions as well.

Many people posted that they did get the Silver Edition Passport, but do have a lot of the same concerns I have.

Edit: Some grammar issues... on my way to work, again... blah lol.

Posted via CB10
    KAM1138 likes this.
    08-30-15 12:56 PM
    Thanks for the mature comments. Wish I had time to address them all. Unfortunately for me, I have crazy hours today (healthcare), but I appreciate hearing other opinions as well even if they may or may not agree with what I initially wrote.

@TessoroDesoto - I purposely quoted your post because, quite honestly, it's far from the truth and based on false assumptions. If I really loved BlackBerry I would have bought the SE and kept my comments to myself? For one, I have multiple BlackBerry devices to the point that I'm just about to hit the maximum allowed on BlackBerry Protect. I do not need another device and wrote why I didn't just buy the SE.

As for keeping my comments to myself... I have pretty much done that for a long time now. At this point, I figured I'd write out my thoughts and see some other viewpoints as well. Is that not what this forum is for?

As for the shares that I purchased, I am no investment genius. I liked what I saw and believed that the company was undervalued back at $10. I opened an account to specifically just purchase bbry shares. Yes, I did put all of my eggs in one basket. In a weird way I wanted to "own" a piece of the company that I'm passionate about.

I really shouldn't have to divulge so much personal information, but I will. I held onto my shares for a while. Was not a short-term trader by any means. Was up for a few months then down for a few months, but I kept holding.

After being up considerably on several rumors I still held for that one day that BlackBerry would show its greatness and the shorts would get burned. Then this silence became worse and I questioned whether or not, in my personal situation, I wanted to play games with the money I was able to save.

As I wrote, I thought about it and decided to take a small loss for my own sanity. Just to add... I'm not advising anybody to do anything as far as their investments. Please do your own DD. With the current stock environment, I'm not touching a thing.

In reality, I've only ever purchased bbry shares anyway. I don't see how any of this or what I have written leads you to "Nice words, but totally shallow."

I do want to point out that I have every intent to continue using my devices and am aware that they're not going to turn into coasters (at least not in the foreseeable future) regardless of what BlackBerry does.

I just struggled with buying the SE and wrote why I ultimately just cancelled the order. Do I still love my original Passport? Yes. Am I using it right now? Yes. It is a great device. I don't see how I should keep my comments on BlackBerry to myself when I'm on a BlackBerry forum unless I was just trolling in which case a mod would have likely closed this thread already.

Posted via CB10
    That's your opinion and I'm having kind of the same. But one point is different. I cannot afford a high-end phone. S6/E or i6... I'm 18 years old and would love to have a silver Edition but i'm short on money. I'm still going to school so no time to work expect for the weekend and then I do, but still 600 euro for a phone that can break in a matter of days/weeks/years, I don't think it's worth it.
    I now have a Z10 I purchased a year ago while it was on sale 289 with 20 sale and a cash back of 100 made my phone only 169. I liked the design and still do. BlackBerry isn't cool anymore for young people but I liked it and still do. iPhone has limited storage and is expensive. And Android makes my phone feel like a toy. Windows is like worse then Android, I don't know why but just is to me.

My Z10 fell multiple times and still no scratches because of the good build quality.

Unless there's gonna be a cheaper Passport version, I cannot go with BlackBerry after a year or 2. Leap is just a new Z10 with almost the same specs. Z3 is worse then the Z10 and Z30 isn't avaible anymore in Belgium.
    I did see a white Z10 for 149 in BASE store (mobile operator) and it made me wonder why they didn't sell the Z30 anymore.
    I just wished I knew what devices are coming and how expensive they would be

Z10 STL100-2 10.3.1779
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    08-30-15 01:15 PM
    I think it's also easy to forget the fact that there are people who are on the fence and willing to try it, and there are others who decide not to go ahead and purchase it. It could simply be because of perception of its worth... for someone like me, I decided to give it a shot because I had a positive experience with my previous BB device. I also had to think it over simply because of its price as well...

I guess what I am trying to say is that there are a lot of factors that affect the OP's decision... selling shares and all. I'm not that into the whole situation, but if i were, this is how I would explain it...

Coz if I were the OP, I'd feel that the device would be an expensive purchase. As for selling the shares, why wouldn't any one? Not everyone has a lot of money to spend on, and of course we want to make smart choices and smart investments. Totally not negative. The SE is definitely a nice piece of tech, but perhaps without any indication of the future of BB it would be a safer purchase in the future, when it is less expensive and is more "affordable" (to me :P)

I would

I think what the OP meant to say
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    08-30-15 01:17 PM
    You has do a right choice
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11880745

Passport Silver is already a DOA Product.
    - The framework that is based Cascades is EOL by end of year
    - BlackBerry isn't able to giving you any motivation for developing for BB10
    - Now the roadmap are also removed from their website
    It's EOL now (from August 18th)

Wide vision, from Chile.
    08-30-15 02:23 PM
    I guess what I am trying to say is that there are a lot of factors that affect the OP's decision... selling shares and all. I'm not that into the whole situation, but if i were, this is how I would explain it...

Coz if I were the OP, I'd feel that the device would be an expensive purchase. As for selling the shares, why wouldn't any one? Not everyone has a lot of money to spend on, and of course we want to make smart choices and smart investments. Totally not negative. The SE is definitely a nice piece of tech, but perhaps without any indication of the future of BB it would be a safer purchase in the future, when it is less expensive and is more "affordable" (to me :P)

I would

I think what the OP meant to say
    Appreciate this as this is basically where I am at. Have absolutely no intention of spreading negativity. I did re-read the original post and I don't view what I wrote as all that negative. Just where I'm at and what I'm thinking.

It is an expensive purchase; definitely not just throw around money in my situation which is why I entered the CrackBerry contest daily hoping to win the Silver Edition. I am extremely impressed with the device and have wrote nothing but positive things about it.

I do think it makes more sense in my current situation with the devices I have and financially to just wait a bit. I'll likely be able to get a much better price and will also have a better indication of where BB10 is going or evolving (if it even is). Thanks :-)

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 10:19 PM
    Thanks for the great thread OP and thoughtful first post as others have said.

I share your observations. The only difference in my case though is that because I see a possibility that BB10 will not be fully supported and BlackBerry may migrate their efforts to Android, I'm looking at the Passport SE as sort of the last flagship of BB10. The (possible) last in the line of great phones. And, for that reason alone I've ordered one.

The Z10 was my entry into smartphones and going to a PKB was not something I thought I would do, but I'm quite excited that they've somehow optimised the experience on the Passport with the SE and I can't wait to get it.

No matter what happens to BB10 I know I'll be enjoying the Passport SE for at least the foreseeable future and that's good enough for me.

However if I had the phones you already own I might not have ordered another Passport.

Posted via CB10
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    09-01-15 10:43 PM
    One other thing to do with the stock. I think BlackBerry going Android would help the stock by attracting more customers. Finally they can rid themselves of the "app gap". But it wouldn't be so good for those of who love what BlackBerry is with BB10.

So I can see the move to Android being strategic for the stock but not what us fanatics want. I can see the reasoning though since there aren't enough of us.

Posted via CB10
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    09-01-15 10:45 PM
    I don't get where all this theory on BB10 going for good is coming from because the reasoning you guys keep presenting makes zero sense. Why should BlackBerry stop with BB10 updates? They have invested millions and made millions through government contracts so now BlackBerry just ups and leaves the OS to die? Right.

 вιaсĸвεггч PP Silver Edition via CB10 (AT&T OS 10.3.2.2339)
    Because they have done it with the Playbook, too.
    I agree with what the OP wrote.
    There is no other choice beyond BB10.
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    09-01-15 11:25 PM
    I beg to disagree with the theory, most users and readers tend to base their assumptions and conclusion from what and how a business does in the US alone. BlackBerry is big in Asia, Europe and Africa. Just because Americans aren't buying it doesn't mean the rest of the isn't. Get the facts...

Posted Via CA Governor's BlackBerry Passport.
    09-01-15 11:44 PM

I share your observations. The only difference in my case though is that because I see a possibility that BB10 will not be fully supported and BlackBerry may migrate their efforts to Android, I'm looking at the Passport SE as sort of the last flagship of BB10. The (possible) last in the line of great phones. And, for that reason alone I've ordered one.

The Z10 was my entry into smartphones and going to a PKB was not something I thought I would do, but I'm quite excited that they've somehow optimised the experience on the Passport with the SE and I can't wait to get it.

No matter what happens to BB10 I know I'll be enjoying the Passport SE for at least the foreseeable future and that's good enough for me.

However if I had the phones you already own I might not have ordered another Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the comments. In your case, I believe purchasing the Silver Edition Passport makes sense. If I understand correctly you are going right from the Z10 to the Passport? If so you will absolutely love it.

As long as you are happy with BB10, the Passport just makes it so much better. I never thought I'd own a smartphone with a PKB either, but here I am with Passports in different colors lol. You won't be disappointed especially going with the improved Silver Edition.

I see it the same way though. Whatever happens to BlackBerry 10 I will still be able to enjoy my devices for a good few years! I'm not going to be jumping on the slider if it is Android only with just some BlackBerry apps pre-loaded or a BlackBerry skin. I'd run my current devices down, then take a look at all of the operating systems out there.

If it came down to Android at this point, I'd take the S6 Active based on the waterproofing and dust/dirt proofing. It's a nice flagship with some bulk to it which I actually prefer. That's just hypothetical though of course.

I'm glad you were able to see that with my current devices and the current situation, the Silver Edition Passport really wasn't justifiable at this time. Some don't seem to understand this.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 01:41 AM
    One other thing to do with the stock. I think BlackBerry going Android would help the stock by attracting more customers. Finally they can rid themselves of the "app gap". But it wouldn't be so good for those of who love what BlackBerry is with BB10.

So I can see the move to Android being strategic for the stock but not what us fanatics want. I can see the reasoning though since there aren't enough of us.

Posted via CB10
    The Android may definitely help the handset division at BlackBerry to become profitable. I'm still skeptical though. BlackBerry was unable to differentiate BBOS from BB10 for the general consumers. I get questioned almost daily asking what phone is that?

I'm unsure if BlackBerry will spend much of their COH to market this device and if nobody knows about it, it will not sell either. John Chen has been VERY conservative with spending. I just don't see a huge marketing push.

From a business perspective, if Android can be secured, it would make sense to tap into such a large ecosystem that's already in place although I'm saddened to possibly see a lot of what is in BB10 just die off (if that is the case).

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 01:47 AM
    I beg to disagree with the theory, most users and readers tend to base their assumptions and conclusion from what and how a business does in the US alone. BlackBerry is big in Asia, Europe and Africa. Just because Americans aren't buying it doesn't mean the rest of the isn't. Get the facts...

Posted Via CA Governor's BlackBerry Passport.
    There's been a lot said in this thread and I'm curious as to what theory you are disagreeing with? BlackBerry sold less than 1 million handsets last quarter if I remember correctly and that is with the Passport, Classic, and Leap in full swing.

BlackBerry is abysmal in the US and surely nowhere near as large as you seem to believe in Asia, Europe, and Africa. Of the devices BlackBerry did sell last quarter, they probably sold approximately 500,000-700,000 BlackBerry 10 devices (BlackBerry does not break down their numbers, but with the ASP rise I'll assume BlackBerry 10 was the majority).

This is in a three month period and is very poor. BlackBerry 10 is really only selling to us fanatics and those that need the security. Again, most aren't even aware BlackBerry still makes smartphones or exists. It's pretty pitiful.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 01:54 AM
    Nice write up. Same exact reasons preventing me from buying the SE also.
    09-02-15 07:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    My thoughts also.

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    AYC2112 likes this.
    09-02-15 08:04 AM
142 ... 456