09-02-15 08:04 AM
142 12345 ...
tools
    The thinking that Blackberry is abandoning BB10 IMHO is the dumbest thing I have seen on mobile nations.
    Please show any proof that BlackBerry is continuing to develop and improve BB10 with new features and framework updates. The framework that BlackBerry runs on is EOL.
    08-26-15 09:13 AM
    You could be very correct about this observation and I certainly hope so.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 09:16 AM
    Patience is a virtue.....I believe Chen in due time will layout future plans of BB and the OS. For now all we have are leaks and rumours and you dont expect him to confirm or deny before launching an initiative that he feels is huge and can alter the mobile landscape. So we expect that during launch or soon after, Chen will spend a few minutes explaining why Android on BB Hardware and future of BB10. It makes sense to hold off till then but please dont blame Chen for staying silent till launch of the slider.
    j21jam6 and RLTurn77 like this.
    08-26-15 09:28 AM
    As for keeping my comments to myself... I have pretty much done that for a long time now.
    I enjoyed reading your comments. You are one that I can read something through and not have it be tl;dr. I'd have considered the SE but due to circumstance cannot spend on anything unnecessary atm. I came into using BB all the while it's been an uncertain company. Guess I sorta took a gamble on and have been thankfully graced by QNX for a longer than expected period of time and thus my devices that I have right now are highly productive to me. I'd embrace the Passport as I love the screen and keypad, but it really is an all damn touch world out there, the time bing, and even apps are limited by device or appear invisible to pkb devices in BB World this way. A family member of mine using BB was due for an upgrade.. I did not intervene. Everyone's gotta choose / do what's best for them, even BB as a companu, and sadly, the support for BB10 has been underrated and thin.

My phone, regardless of its age rocks though! I do use a bit of everything including Apple, M$, and Google software, but nothing, to me anyway, just works! Like a BlackBerry! There have been many things on these forums that have been rumor in the past and with lack of response from BB that have disappointed me, then when officially announced, I have been impressed with actual outcomes. I remain hopeful but lack comments in what has been somewhat uninteresting or unattainable to me atm. A real just wait and see moment.
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    08-26-15 09:48 AM
    my wife's uncle also sells all his BlackBerry Stocks before they going down more and he allready changed from BllackBerry to iphone since a few weeks, her dad did the same a month ago, because they believe Android will be bad for BlackBerry in Indonesia.

Her Dad still using the blod 9900 next to his iphone 6 but he told me that BlackBerry is going again in a negative showdown. It's not they gone use Android but it's more because BlackBerry is telling nothing about where they going with BB10 .

He agree it will do no harm if the get BlackBerry Android phone or windows phone's for business with BlackBerry Apps but be transparant about it what we people can expect.

All these wild goose hunt lead to negative respons and keep people away from BlackBerry.
    08-26-15 09:52 AM
    I agree that silence is an enemy of the company at this time. On the other hand those who run it probably know better than me. (hopefully).

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    08-26-15 10:06 AM
    I think that I am in a similar position to you regarding the silver Passport but for different reasons. For me, I think my next purchase was coming down to the Silver Edition Passport or the Slider. And I have no choice but to 'wait and see' with the Slider because nothing has been officially announced as of yet.

I don't think the Slider is the 'Hail Mary' that everyone is acting like it is. BlackBerry has had on their roadmap for some time, bringing the BlackBerry Suite of apps to other platforms and with the release of an Android variant handset, it doesn't really increase development costs much as it will run the same software that BlackBerry was planning to release all along. In a sense, it's the only Flagship that BlackBerry has truly released since the Z10 and Q10 (perhaps the Passport could be included in that now, too, considering all of the variants of it that have followed).

What I am waiting for, is to know if there's going to be a BB10 version of the Slider available also. I think that I could probably sacrifice the Android Runtime, if that's what I needed to do. Although, I'm not sure about that either. I might just continue to rock two devices and, in that case, maybe the SE would be the second one.

With as many people that have invested in BB10 (and not just consumers but government, medical, legal, etc...), they cannot just abandon the platform and I don't believe they will. The biggest things to worry about are what will / could happen with the Android Runtime (if it doesn't get any further updates, that would also limit it's usability) on current devices and whether or not there will be a BB10 variant of the Slider released at some point.

All the other rumours and gossip are about as important as a fart in the wind to me.
    RLTurn77 and bungaboy like this.
    08-26-15 10:09 AM
    I'm on the fence about ordering the Passport SE. It will be my first Blackberry phone and as someone who has been an admirer of the brand--admittedly from the sidelines--i'd like to get an opinion on whether or not the risk will reap great rewards. As a brand who's future hangs in the balance, would buying a Blackberry device, and a first one at that be a wise choice? I don't use my phone fir anything but Instagram, youtube, and facebook. And aside from music, which i'll be uploading to the phone myself, there really isn't much else i'll use it for aside from productivity since i'll be starting university in September.
    08-26-15 10:19 AM
    From what I understand you sold your shares of BlackBerry. And did so right before the company plans on releasing a produxct that people on android forums are wanting to buy? No offence but it was a mistake.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 11:41 AM
    BB10 is going to continue to be supported. That's safe to say. So far as that goes, legacy BBOS continues to be supported to this day, though I'm skeptical that carriers will support BIS indefinitely.

There are market realities in play here, though. BlackBerry can't ignore all the users who are saying that just being able to run APKs isn't enough, that they need GPlay services as well. Under the current provisions of the Open Handset Alliance (the Google-run body that decides who does and doesn't get GPlay), the only way for BlackBerry to provide that is to build actual Android handsets. Personally, I'm holding out hope that BlackBerry can convince Google to show some flexibility on this. That's not impossible, since last year an LG phone was certified even with a Cyanogen OS build.

If the OHA were to certify the BB10 runtime, or allow BB10 to run a full Android OS in a hypervisor, that would truly be the best of both worlds, but that assumes that Google has any interest in helping BlackBerry, and I have my doubts.
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    08-26-15 11:58 AM
    I want to add that I also canceled a SE purchase BECAUSE THE ATT VERSION KICKS ***! WIRELESS CHARGING TOO!

Posted from a Passport or Z30. Get one!
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    08-26-15 12:04 PM
    It may or may not be a mistake. But from the way I see it IHMO uncle "SAM" has already captured the "Droid" market but if Blackberry makes positive in roads whilst giving us BB10 standalone phones which I suspect may be their plan, well then fair enough. They need to survive and if churning out a couple of droids will keep them in the game I think that will be a win win. Then again my opinion.
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    08-26-15 12:05 PM
    I absolutely agree. We recently purchased an Android phone for my son given that he wanted to play his "games". Well we got a deal on an HTC device so we bought it outright (400 dollars). I must say, it is unimpressive. The absence of basic functions was a real surprise and it lacks that polish/easy of use one gets with blackberry. We have download of boat load of apps and it is operational but it is a clunky/pain staking process. There is nothing polished about Android.

This experience that pushed me to replace my Z10 with the silver passport. What a beautiful device and nothing like it. I have only had it a week but I already see how I expect it to work like a desktop. Very liberating.

Blackberry has a real winner but they need to get it into peoples hands. If this requires a hybrid phone for Android users, then do it. It's not my choice but if it increases sales and furthers software development, then go for it.
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    08-26-15 12:10 PM
    I agree with OP but believe that the OS is mature and I could use it for many years -- as long as the usable life of a new device. Even if BlackBerry does not make another device running BB10 I would still buy a silver PP if in the market.

Posted via CB10
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    08-26-15 12:16 PM
    Also, I would go with Microsoft before Google. Android is for entertainment for me. I had two Nexus 7s and liked them but not for anything but media consumption.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 12:18 PM
    Hello,

I share many of the same thoughts as the OP. However, I DID go ahead and get a Passport SE (from Z10), and am happy so far.
    Like another poster mentioned, I came to Blackberry as a Palm refugee, following a misguided detour into Android-Land.

I really want Blackberry to do well, but just because something is labeled Blackberry while running Android doesn't have me convinced.
    I honestly can't see any possible reason that a Blackberry fan who is currently using BB10 would want to move to Android. I also think this is one of the worst decisions I've heard of from Blackberry--if in fact this is what is happening.

I've seen many people talk about marketing and Blackberry's utter failure in that arena. I have to laugh, because self-styled "Tech marketing experts" told me I knew nothing about marketing for suggesting that this was a Prerequisite for Blackberry's comeback (prior to BB10 Release), and well here we are. Reality has proven them wrong.

I suspect I'm going to be proven right about Blackberry's Android Slider (if that is what rumors indicate), because I think for most people, it is the worst of all worlds, and is targeting an even smaller market than Current Blackberry users. Who know--maybe people will buy what's put in front of them, but of course...it has to be put in front of them. How do you do that?

Oh right--back to the Marketing, which not only is Blackberry NOT doing--they're doing the opposite, providing ZERO information--even to their die-hard fans. Their silence is doing the exactly opposite, and feeding doom and gloom feelings. And for a good reason.

Mr. Chen may or may not be a good businessman (time will tell) in regards to his leadership at Blackberry, but he is doing nothing to bolster confidence.

I literally don't know how a company can do such a pathetically poor job at presenting itself so consistently as Blackberry has over the past several years. Just abysmal.

BB10 is a great product, which has been squandered and left to slowly die it seems. That's bad business plain and simple. So, I don't blame anyone for being disillusioned.

KAM
    RLTurn77, ppeters914 and markmall like this.
    08-26-15 12:56 PM
    Wow, Palm. That brought a smile to my face as I loved my Palm during that time. Would I buy a PP SE if I already owned a PP, probably not. But since I was looking to upgrade anyway it was a better deal on the SE package than anything AT&T could offer and I don't know that wireless charging would be worth an extra $100.

The Op put a lot of thought into this post yet I'm not sold on all views. Since we are all speculating what if both BB10 and Android could be loaded as a customer choice when buying an unlocked phone. Evidence seems to be presenting that the SE may be able to run a droid OS. Certainly Venice will run it. BBY would then retain the fans of old like myself who love the BB10 OS, want a phone that works well, has that great keyboard and the best security. They would also entice the others who want or need a real Android OS and a physical keyboard. Just added market growth.

Well as others have said as well I'm on this train and enjoying the ride, I just hope it does not derail. If it does you can all say I told you so but I'm sure I'll still get a great 2+ years of use out of my new wonderful PP SE.
    08-26-15 01:17 PM
    I am actually considering returning my se within 30 day period coming up now. After reading everything I am starting to believe that this is a dead phone OS wise. With the future this uncertain, I will return this, use my old oneplus one until new windows flagship comes out and go that route. Maybe even ios. I'll suffer with android (at least cyanogemod) for a couple months. If no bb10+ definitely no android.

Posted via Silver Passport.
    08-26-15 01:40 PM
    Bingo, KAM at #66. Chen (or Prem Watsa) misapprehended what was the real gem at the company. It is not this vague notion of "security" when no one seems to care anymore about security. It is not server software. It is not instant messaging.

It is the one operating system built for professionals and people that just want to get things done and not have a dumbed down computing experience. The hardware is unique in the same way. They could have sold the OS and the devices. They still could, but I don't see Chen changing course and making an effort to sell handsets. It would require some humility and flexibility of thought.
    crackberry_geek and RLTurn77 like this.
    08-26-15 01:42 PM
    Thank you. That's pretty much where I'm at in a nutshell. If I didn't already have a Passport I would wait it out at this point.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for your astute original post. It was long but interesting and easy reading because it was well-written with proper paragraphing. I hate posts that are lengthy without proper paragraph separation.

Just this morning, I was seriously considering cancelling my order of the Passport SE at CrackBerry's shop. The reasons were as you pointed out in your post. I do not currently own a Passport and was thinking of waiting it out until the air was cleared about BB10 and the hardware. I had not yet read your post and what prompted me to consider cancelling was that the Amazon phone was on sale for $130.00 with one year of Prime membership thrown in. I am quite invested in the Amazon ecosystem. Enjoying the Echo. Since I need a new phone to replace my old BlackBerry, I thought this would be a great temporary phone at a great price (effectively $31.00) while I wait on the Passport SE.

Then, I received the email today informing me that the Passport had shipped. Oh well, at least it makes the rest of my day a little easier...no need for further contemplation on the issue. I am quite sure I will be happy with the Passport SE. When I had not received any word about it shipping last week, I toyed with the idea of cancelling it and waiting to see what developed at BlackBerry and what deals there might be during Thanksgiving and Christmas sales days.

I went to an AT&T store (Passport is hard to find in an AT&T store) and played around with one there. That was the first time I saw and handled a Passport. Previously, I only had seen pictures of the phone. I was more impressed with it than ever before! The pictures I had seen and the reviews about its "humongous" size had led me to think that it was considerably bigger than it actually was. I was very pleasantly surprised at its size. It fit easily in my shirt pocket with plenty of room to spare.

I guess I was sold on the phone then and cast away thoughts about cancelling the order until early this morning when I saw the sale on the Amazon phone. Anyway, no regrets that I will not be able to cancel as I am quite sure it will serve me well. It will serve BlackBerry well too as I intend to show it off to friends and relatives who are so attached to their phones bearing the logo of the fruit that Adam and Eve were forbidden to eat.
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    08-26-15 01:43 PM
    Bingo, KAM at #66. Chen (or Prem Watsa) misapprehended what was the real gem at the company. It is not this vague notion of "security" when no one seems to care anymore about security. It is not server software. It is not instant messaging.

It is the one operating system built for professionals and people that just want to get things done and not have a dumbed down computing experience. The hardware is unique in the same way. They could have sold the OS and the devices. They still could, but I don't see Chen changing course and making an effort to sell handsets. It would require some humility and flexibility of thought.
    I have no way of proving how widespread this is, but it seems that when people are shown what BB10 can do, they are intrigued. If an Android based phone running a BB10-like skin is good enough, that might grab some people, but that seems backwards to me--building an expensive home on a weak foundation.

BB10 is the Gem and they're grinding it up an sprinkling it on a mudball. Even if it looks shiny to begin with, its still mud underneath.

And devices--right. The passport has some great features on it, but it is a bit of a tough sell. I don't have anything against the Classic, but it seems like a step backwards to me. Why not try the touch-sensitive keyboard on a phone like that instead--wean people off the track pad, while providing the same (or better) functionality.

I honestly don't know what they're hoping to accomplish with an Android based device, and they're not sharing their thoughts on it.

KAM
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    08-26-15 02:06 PM
    Please show any proof that BlackBerry is continuing to develop and improve BB10 with new features and framework updates. The framework that BlackBerry runs on is EOL.
    I hate comments like this, and they're way too prevalent - not just here, but all over the Internet. It's a classic logical fallacy of argumentum ad ignorantiam [argument from ignorance] where, because no one has conclusively disproven the claim or because there's no way to conclusively disprove the claim, we must "naturally" conclude the claim is true. It's like saying, "Dinosaurs still roam the earth - they're just 1/8" tall and live somewhere underground" and demanding others prove that it's not so. We could scour the earth to a depth of 10 miles and show they're not there, and someone could roll out, "well, they're probably more like 200 miles down - so since you haven't checked there, I'm clearly still right."

Even if someone were to come out with proof to refute the claim, most people will simply shift the goalposts or ignore the evidence presented, and assert the corresponding claim as still being true. The fact is, very few people here at CB have any actual, hands-on insight into what's going on with BB10 - and those few can't divulge details because of NDA's, job security, etc. etc., so continually asking for "proof" is silly. Just because I'm working on planning right now doesn't mean development on the model that I want is dead, never to be touched again; it means "priorities have shifted, work on that model is paused so I can deal with immediate needs - and when that's done and nothing else is pressing, I'll switch back over to it."

Until there's a formal announcement from Blackberry that, "we're pulling the plug on BB10" let's drop the "BB10 is dead" hysteria simply because no one comes out and shows to some uncertain level of "proof" that it's not dead.
    danfrancisco and SmileDahling like this.
    08-26-15 03:28 PM
    I think Chen is being shrewd bringing Android into the fold. I came from Android and to say that I am impressed with BB10 would be an understatement. But it took me a looong time and a deep breath before I decided to take a shot at my first BB.

BUT, if BB had offered the Passport with Android on it I would not have hesitated a split second. I would have bought it immediately. Eventually I would have stumbled onto BB10 and realised, wtf was I thinking running Android.

Get them in the door. Doesn't matter how he does it but just get them in.
    I think the above exemplifies why and what Chen is doing. I know too many folks who will not leave their Apple OS or Android OS. This at least offers a gateway for those of the latter folk that are interested in BlackBerry devices and perhaps maybe bridge the conversion to BlackBerry OS10.

My thinking is that they want to give customers a choice: high end BlackBerry device with OS 10 and cheaper devices for the masses with both.

I'm not saying I like the decision to shift but I'm not a CEO with all of the info he has so I'll bite my tongue. I hate Android and am underwhelmed by Apples OS but I'm not really and Apps person - just need a great communications device with security and ability to be my daily driver.

My two cents.
    08-26-15 04:09 PM
    The problem is that it isn't really the same skill set needed to design for Android and to design for BlackBerry 10. To stop work on one and learn the other and then switch back is inefficient and problematic. When I am programming for one platform/language, I try to stick with that until I am finished. When I switch back, it takes me some time to get back up to speed on the other platform/language. I very much doubt the scenario you mentioned.
    Companies are not known for asking their employees to do the most efficient and least problematic thing. If they needed to shift gears to Android, they would go to their existing employees first. Maybe shifting back would be problematic, but it could be done.
    08-26-15 06:27 PM

You are so spot on!

Sadly Chen has neither humility or flexibility of thought.

His bull headed arrogance will be the end of BlackBerry hand sets.

Posted via CB10
    RLTurn77 and lift like this.
    08-26-15 07:08 PM
142 12345 ...