But the app wouldn't even function without file system access.
    To specific files yes. It is limited in such access to the files for which it has permissions and those accessible to the devuser account used to develop applications. Neither of these have the ability to get into anything in the core of the system and deploy malicious attacks against the device as a whole.
    08-02-19 06:28 PM
    To specific files yes. It is limited in such access to the files for which it has permissions and those accessible to the devuser account used to develop applications. Neither of these have the ability to get into anything in the core of the system and deploy malicious attacks against the device as a whole.
    Huh? If you provide file system access, they can harvest anything they want.
    08-02-19 06:30 PM
    You are welcome to believe that all permissions for all forms of file access are created equal.
    08-02-19 06:32 PM
    This could be enough to make me put the Passport back in service.

You mentioned mp3 and flac. My go to in the terminal is mplayer. It plays many formats and has the added benefit of playing streams. It's the swiss army knife of UNIX audio if you ask me!
    To me mplayer is both a video and audio player isn't it ? currently as far as I understand, Term48 is based on SDL and has no support for video .. Let's hope we can compile mplayer for audio only. Added to the TODO list without any warranty.

At some point I had the goal to port Term48 to SDL2 .. but it's too much for my small fingers alone .. but would be a real dream come true to have video through Term48 / Term49 or whatever we'd decide to call it .. let's hire an utopian guru who would help us to reach this goal !!!

I also use lynx a lot for web and gopher browsing, so I'd love to see it.

The other terminal app that I use a lot is ssh (for SDF.org and my own servers). Is that already integrated in Term48?
    lynx looks like a reasonable goal, added to the TODO list.
    ssh is available, Term48 includes 7.1p1 by default
    a slightly newer version (7.1p2) is available through our git repo.
    Software listed in TODO are subject to availability of dependencies ..
    so presence in TODO list do not mean that will be released.

The branch "progress" is a sandbox, allowing the developers to share their progress before committing software to "master" branch. It's good to take a look at "progress", there are many pieces of software we'd like to see on bb10 already, but not yet released.
    Last edited by berradicted_fr; 08-04-19 at 01:32 PM. Reason: update quotes, reorder answers, add precisions to last answer
    08-04-19 01:28 PM
    To me mplayer is both a video and audio player isn't it ? currently as far as I understand, Term48 is based on SDL and has no support for video .. Let's hope we can compile mplayer for audio only.
    mplayer definitely could be compiled for audio only in the past. I first used it with baslinux (a stripped-down version of Slackware) over a decade ago and it was compiled for audio only.

If you search for mplayer on this page, you'll find various versions compiled with or without video, ogg support, etc. http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/blfiles.htm
    08-04-19 05:01 PM
    As a Unix like system you only need to forbid S permissions (aka XXXX permission) that would be all what is necessary!

Send by PassPort Silver Edition
    08-06-19 04:23 AM

lynx looks like a reasonable goal, added to the TODO list.
    Work In Progress ... lynx package for bb10
    https://github.com/berryamin/playboo...bootstrap/lynx
    09-10-19 07:48 PM
    Well, I started build some BB10 apps but after my first Beta version I awake and went to bathroom.
    09-11-19 08:56 AM
    This could be enough to make me put the Passport back in service.

You mentioned mp3 and flac. My go to in the terminal is mplayer. It plays many formats and has the added benefit of playing streams. It's the swiss army knife of UNIX audio if you ask me!

I also use lynx a lot for web and gopher browsing, so I'd love to see it.

The other terminal app that I use a lot is ssh (for SDF.org and my own servers). Is that already integrated in Term48?
    The BerryFarm team is happy to publish release 0.3 of "BerryMuch OS"

https://github.com/BerryFarm/berrymuch/releases

(depends on Term48 or any other terminal emulator), including:

- lynx text mode browser, version 2.8.9
    - youtube-dl
    - ansiweather 1.15.0
    - taskwarrior, version 2.4.2
    - ircII (IRC client)
    - dropbear ssh client and server, version 2019.78
    - bash, version 5.0
    - rsync, version 3.1.3

A github forum is available for support at:

https://github.com/BerryFarm/berrymuch/issues

We are currently working to integrate "pkgsrc" package system.

A wishlist is ready below,

https://github.com/BerryFarm/berrymuch/wiki/Wishlist

Contributors are warmly welcome !

Best Regards,

Olivier
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    02-06-20 07:57 AM
    Pkgsrc. Very nice.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-20 01:07 PM
    Adding to my previous comment. It's probably not do-able, but sshfs, ffs, or even nfs would be a nice addition.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-20 04:10 PM
    Adding to my previous comment. It's probably not do-able, but sshfs, ffs, or even nfs would be a nice addition.

Posted via CB10
    There is a Qfuse project on Foundry27 .. but last commit is rather old. Not sure Qfuse ever worked on QNX .

A clever man wrote something similar for bb10 ... "lpuvfs" runs as simple, non-priviledged user;

Low Performance Userspace Virtual Filesystem

https://github.com/ardangelo/lpuvfs
    02-06-20 07:12 PM
    There is a Qfuse project on Foundry27 .. but last commit is rather old. Not sure Qfuse ever worked on QNX .

A clever man wrote something similar for bb10 ... "lpuvfs" runs as simple, non-priviledged user;

Low Performance Userspace Virtual Filesystem

https://github.com/ardangelo/lpuvfs
    I'll check it out when I set up my new home network next week. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    02-06-20 09:27 PM
63 123