I just got a new Blackberry Passport. It works great except when connected to my laptop via USB. My laptop connects via Wi-Fi with no problem. However, as soon as I connect my BlackBerry Passport using USB (original that was included with Blackberry Passport), the laptop disconnects from Wi-Fi. I cannot get any internet connection (Wi-Fi) with Blackberry Passport connected to my laptop using USB. Im using BlackBerry Link to sync my Blackberry Passport. Blackberry Link also works great for backup, sync with laptop etc.
    Any help to get my laptops Wi-Fi connection back when my BlackBerry Passport is connected via USB is appreciated.
    11-30-14 09:50 PM
    That is a strange issue. I wonder if it is a driver compatibility issue.

What OS are you running? Windows 7, 8, Mac, Etc..

You could try updating the drivers for the wireless card in your computer and downloading the latest version of Link from the BlackBerry website.
    11-30-14 10:04 PM
    Download blend it has drivers that you might need.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 10:13 PM
    Have you ever used your phone to tether the Internet to your laptop? I've seen this happen with my Z30.

I would check out your internet tethering settings first. If that's not the issue check out the USB connection settings. Depending on what OS you're running it could have your phone doing several things when connected to your laptop (charge only, install drivers, install link, etc.).

Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    mrfreeze likes this.
    11-30-14 10:18 PM
    That's a good question. ^
    11-30-14 10:57 PM
    I'm using Windows 7.
    I've updated drivers for wireless card and also have the latest version of BlackBerry Link.
    Unfortunately, laptop continues to disconnect from Wi-Fi once BlackBerry Passport USB is connected.
    Any other clues?
    12-01-14 12:32 AM
    I've previously used my old blackberry Torch for internet tethering using my laptop with Windows 7. I've had no problem with Torch using USB connection with my laptop's Wi-Fi always available. I just transferred services from my Torch to Passport a couple of days ago when I got the new Passport.
    Internet Tethering connection settings seems to activate on Blackberry Passport with "Connected to Network" status. Internet Tethering seems okay on Passport. But it cannot connect my Laptop to the internet when I insert the USB.
    Any other suggestions?
    12-01-14 12:46 AM
    I would suggest deleting your BlackBerry from your laptop's network and internet settings. The same way you would delete an old wireless hot spot or ethernet connection you wouldn't use anymore.

You should be able to follow the steps as follows:

Start Network and Sharing Center.
    In the Tasks pane, click Manage networks.
    Right-click the connection you want to delete, and then click Remove network.
    In the Manage Networks - Warning dialog box, click OK.

Not 100 percent sure those are the precise steps, but it should get you heading in the right direction.

Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 04:42 AM
    I'm having the exact same issue for 2 years now since I moved from android to a 9780,9900 and now Q10!

Any suggestions?

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 01:02 PM
    It for sure has to do with Internet tethering settings. Since I cannot/don't want to recreate this issue I will just research it a bit.
    12-01-14 01:12 PM
    Ok. Try this. On the BB go to Settings > Network and Connections > Internet Tethering and make sure it is turned off.
    12-01-14 01:14 PM
    This is what I've found thus far: There are “2 BlackBerry connections” under "Network Connections"
    Local Area Network 5: BlackBerry Device #2
    Local Area Network 2: BlackBerry Virtual Private Network (VPN)

With the USB plugged in, whenever I disable the BlackBerry Device #2, my laptop reconnects to Wi-Fi, and I can access internet from my laptop, etc. But BlackBerry Link does not work when Blackberry Device #2 is disabled. Note I've removed and reinstalled BlackBerry Link a couple of times and still get the same laptop disconnection from Wi-Fi issues.

When BlackBerry Device #2 is enabled, my laptop disconnects from Wi-FI.
    I'm not sure what is the BlackBerry VPN. It is enabled. I cannot disable or delete this BlackBerry VPN from network connections.

The Internet tethering on my BlackBerry Passport is turned off. Turning it on or off does not affect the outcome of the descriptions/scenarios above.

I hope the above sheds additional light on my BlackBerry USB and Laptop Wi-Fi disconnection issues.

Any additional guidance/suggestion is appreciated.

12-01-14 06:06 PM
    Can you "forget" those blackberry internet connections all together?

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 09:15 PM
    I had a similar problem, and it was due to an IP address conflict. The BlackBerry virtual network used for USB used IP, which was also used by the Mobile hotpot, and this last DHCP server can't be changed AFAIK.

Just check if there is any IP address conflict between all your network cards by accessing Start -> type 'cmd', and on the next screen, type 'ipconfig /all'. This shows all your network cards' current IP.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 11:26 AM
    I checked the IP addresses. My BlackBerry Device #2 and the Wi-Fi used have different IP addresses. I checked two other locations with Wi-Fi (in both cases, the IPs were different), and my laptop continued to disconnect from Wi-Fi when USB is connected.
    In addition, I also tried to test an Ethernet connection (instead of Wi-Fi) for my laptop to access the internet. My laptop Ethernet connection was successful, and I accessed/browsed the internet, but my Blackberry Passport and BlackBerry Link (loaded on my laptop) was disconnected with the following message “Cannot Communicate with Device” on BlackBerry Link.
    I’ve previously used my old BlackBerry Torch with USB connected to my laptop to perform different tasks including backup data, tethering, keeping device charged, etc.), while using my laptop to access the internet, and would like to continue to do so with BlackBerry Passport.
    I’d like to keep my Passport but would need the USB connection with my laptop to be operational.
    Is anyone using BlackBerry Passport having similar laptop disconnection from Wi-Fi with BlackBerry Passport & BlackBerry Link issues?
    Thanks in advance for any additional suggestions/guidance.
    12-03-14 11:30 PM
    Same for me!
    If I disable the BlackBerry network connections, they will reappear once I plug in the device again

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 01:43 AM
    I had the same issue with my Z10. When I turn on the option charge only mode in my Z10, it started to connect to wifi on my laptop when the USB cable is plugged to my laptop and Z10. The consequence is I lose the Blackberry Link to sync or exchange files. I have to do it manually by turning on USB Mass Storage Mode also.

If I disable charge only Mode it suddenly disconnects from Wifi and Blackberry Link starts to work.
    How to reach the setting on Z10 is as below;
    Settings; Storage and Access ; Access using USB; Charge only mode (turned on)

So I think it means that I have to choose either connecting via Blackberry Link and forget Wifi to my Laptop or do not use Blackberry link anymore (which I preferred to do so).

Anyone who has different ideas or solutions please comment,
    04-01-15 01:50 AM
    I have had the Z10 for about three months now, and have the exact same symptoms as described by several others on this thread. We can only hope that someone at RIM reads this and realizes we're not ALL nuts, and posts a fix for this very annoying and very limiting problem. I too was a happy user of BB Torch prior to this Z10 debacle.
    04-30-15 03:53 PM