Does anyone have an idea why Passport's camera protrudes?
    I am actually not too particular about it but I still have to wonder, because Passport's form factor seems thick enough and non-protruding camera would've looked better, I think.
    Is there a reason why it had to? Like, maybe it has to to have OIS or something like that?
    10-04-14 05:54 AM
    My speculation is that the camera has optical image stabilization, which requires a larger package for the mechanics.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    10-04-14 07:58 AM
    Why does Passport have protruding camera?-nokia-808-pureview-review-13.jpg
    Why does Passport have protruding camera?-lumia_1020_review_camera_flat_0.jpg

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    10-04-14 08:10 AM
    Protruding?
    Attached Thumbnails Why does Passport have protruding camera?-uploadfromtaptalk1412431246769.jpg   Why does Passport have protruding camera?-uploadfromtaptalk1412431265263.jpg   Why does Passport have protruding camera?-uploadfromtaptalk1412431286911.jpg  
    anischab, joewoo and Nels like this.
    10-04-14 09:01 AM
    ^^ was gonna say the same thing. Smallest protrude in the world.

CB10 via Passport Swiping
    10-04-14 09:05 AM
    I think that you're wrong... it is a visual effect on photos only!

Look at the photos above ;-)

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    10-04-14 09:31 AM
    Have you seen the camera on the iphone 6/6plus? That one seems to protrude more..

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-04-14 09:33 AM
    Have you seen the camera on the iphone 6/6plus? That one seems to protrude more..

Posted via CB10
    It does

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 09:35 AM
    Right, very slight protrusion, but that's precisely why I think it would probably have been possible to make it completely flat. If the camera had to come out a whooping 5mm, for example, then if someone tells me "that's the best they could do", I get it. But if they managed to make it that compact, what's less than 1mm thinner?

And of course, I am talking about Passport, not any other phone. I have no interest in other phones. I don't see the point in iphone 6 and nokia being mentioned here.
    10-04-14 02:34 PM
    I think that you're wrong... it is a visual effect on photos only!

Look at the photos above ;-)

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    Nah, I've touched it at a store. And I will know for sure when I get my Passport on Monday. (Got shipped yesterday - whoohoo)
    10-04-14 02:36 PM
    This is the best they could do.

Anyway: Are you one of those crazy people like me who are keeping their expensive gadgets naked? If not, then this is a non-issue.

The passport is just TWO millimetres thicker than the iPhone, has a massive battery and screen. These cameras are at least 5mm thick.... then the screen, Mainboard and you have 1mm sticking out
    PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    10-04-14 02:37 PM
    and then again if there wasn't any protrusion we'd hear:
    "how could they make a phone that flat! it's impossible to take once you put it on a table!"...
    Warlack likes this.
    10-04-14 02:46 PM
    It appears the only protrusion is the back of the phone to cause a gap between flat surfaces and the glass in front of the lens. Neither the lens it's self or the protective glass in front of the lens appear to protrude from the posted pictures.

Q10
    10-04-14 03:08 PM
    IPhone 6 protrusion is the ugliest thing. Now that's hideous.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 03:34 PM
    Ok, I take it all back. No need to be defensive if you are. If not, that's fine.
    If camera doesn't protrude, though, then I think it begs a bigger question. Why did they make that protrusion to cause a gap?
    Passport already has rounded side edges, which will allow it to be easily lifted from a flat surface no problem (not that the flat-backed and flat-sided iphone 5s had any problem with lifting, just to say). If the protrusion (however little it may be) isn't because of the camera, then it's actually a even bigger mystery to me.
    If they were trying to make so the glass over the lens doesn't come into contact with a surface, they would've done better by making that part intrude so that the glass doesn't touch the surface when laid on that surface.
    10-04-14 03:36 PM
    IPhone 6 protrusion is the ugliest thing. Now that's hideous.

Posted via CB10
    I quite agree. I had no problem with the bands really, but camera was no pretty.
    The fools over at Apple would've done way better to just increase the thickness, so that they can put in a bigger battery, avoid camera protrusion and lessen the bending risk.
    I don't think anyone would've really cared if their phone was a millimetre or two thicker. It would've done so much good with hardly any loss. What fools.
    10-04-14 03:39 PM
    Ok, I take it all back. No need to be defensive if you are. If not, that's fine.
    If camera doesn't protrude, though, then I think it begs a bigger question. Why did they cause that protrusion to cause a gap?
    Passport already has rounded side edges, which will allow it to be lifted from a flat surface no problem (not that the flat-backed and flat-sided iphone 5s had any problem with lifting, just to say). If the protrusion (however little it may be) isn't because of the camera, then it's actually a even bigger mystery to me.
    If they were trying to make so the glass over the lens doesn't come into contact with a surface, they would've done better by making that part intrude so that the glass doesn't touch the surface when laid on that surface.
    Could be that the slight protrusion adds some tactile feeling to the fingers, so that the user will less likely to smudge or block the flash or the lens.
    10-04-14 03:44 PM
    It's so that you can get half a millimeter closer to your photo subject without having to move. Isn't BlackBerry awesome!?

Posted via CB10
    Warlack likes this.
    10-04-14 03:47 PM
    Could be that the slight protrusion adds some tactile feeling to the fingers, so that the user will less likely to smudge or block the flash or the lens.
    Fair enough. That is one possible explanation and if they thought of something like that, it's actually admirable.
    Although my personal design choice to deal with that issue would've been to vary the texture of the back cover around the camera.
    10-04-14 03:50 PM
    It's just happy to see you.
    Cobrajett and AnimalPak200 like this.
    10-04-14 04:27 PM
    @Kanenas, great pictures. I was also under the impression that the camera protruded much more than that.

BleedBlk-
    geo1nah2a likes this.
    10-04-14 04:57 PM
    Why does it? It's happy to see you

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    10-04-14 05:01 PM
    It's just happy to see you.
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 08:44 AM
    My concern with the protruding camera is scratches on the lens from putting it down.

The hard shell should solve that problem, just like my Q10 soft shell protects the camera from touching the table. I just hope the phone fits in the holster with the shell on.

My Passport should be here this week, just debating whether I'll keep it or not and just stick with my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:13 AM
    My concern with the protruding camera is scratches on the lens from putting it down.

The hard shell should solve that problem, just like my Q10 soft shell protects the camera from touching the table. I just hope the phone fits in the holster with the shell on.

My Passport should be here this week, just debating whether I'll keep it or not and just stick with my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    You haven't even gotten to really use it, and you're already debating whether to keep it over your Q10? Lol... as long as you have an open mind about the keyboard, there no way the Q10 can outshine this thing.

Posted via CB10
    Shane8750 likes this.
    10-05-14 09:25 AM
26 12