This is unbelievably annoying. I power off my Passport, and its turns off completely as expected. A few minutes later, I plug it in to my USB charger and the phone turns back on and I did NOT press the power button. Then I have to wait for it to boot to turn it off again. It still has lots of battery left when I plug it in to charge, its not like its dead and then booting up to a last state. Why is this happening???
    Last edited by sterod; 02-18-15 at 08:39 PM.
    02-18-15 08:24 PM
    Ummm...perhaps OS needs to be powered on to managing the charging process?

Have you tried plugging in first, then trying to power off?

Seems like a first world problem you have there my friend.

This Passport takes me places!
    02-18-15 08:29 PM
    Yes, it stays powered off if I do it that way, but this still makes no sense. I mean, what device have you ever seen that behaves that way? I've never seen anything else do that, cameras, other phones, tablets, ebook readers, etc. This is counter intuitive.
    02-18-15 08:32 PM
    Unique

CB10 - Q10
    02-18-15 08:35 PM
    Yes, but not in a good way. When I power it off, I expect it to stay that way until I decide to power it back on.
    02-18-15 08:37 PM
    I just replicate, I turn off my phone and put on charge and it's stay off

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243
    02-18-15 08:38 PM
    Yes, but not in a good way. When I power it off, I expect it to stay that way until I decide to power it back on.
    Just plug it and then power off? Is it a hard process?
    No it's not

CB10 - Q10
    rebroker2009 likes this.
    02-18-15 08:39 PM
    No, its not, but I still don't understand why it does this. If its a bug, it should be fixed, don't you agree?
    02-18-15 08:41 PM
    Are you plugging it into a wall charger or a computer USB port? I am plugging into a USB cable attached to a Windows PC. Can you try that?
    02-18-15 08:42 PM
    I understand your issue however why do you feel the need to power off the device? If you want to disable notifications simply go into bedside mode and when plugged in you get a nice clock display (I do this at night). Personally my phone is my gateway or connection to my contacts and turning it off I'd feel lost....yup I'm a crackberry nut.

Posted via CB10
    NYTOC83 and jojo beaconsfield like this.
    02-18-15 08:42 PM
    No reason in particular, I've just always done that to all my devices. I also figure it will extend the life of the battery if its not draining from powering the phone while its charging. This may seem silly but hey, prove me wrong! :-)
    02-18-15 08:44 PM
    Are you plugging it into a wall charger or a computer USB port? I am plugging into a USB cable attached to a Windows PC. Can you try that?
    I think that this is the reason

CB10 - Q10
    02-18-15 08:54 PM
    Could be, I'll try charging it with a wall outlet tomorrow but if someone else can confirm this behavior by doing the same I still think its a bug BB should fix.
    02-18-15 08:55 PM
    I'm using wall charger and it's stay off

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243
    02-18-15 09:00 PM
    Could be, I'll try charging it with a wall outlet tomorrow but if someone else can confirm this behavior by doing the same I still think its a bug BB should fix.
    Yes try turning off then plug in to wall charger
    If the phone turned on then it's a bug

CB10 - Q10
    02-18-15 09:01 PM
    No reason in particular, I've just always done that to all my devices. I also figure it will extend the life of the battery if its not draining from powering the phone while its charging. This may seem silly but hey, prove me wrong! :-)
    Power on or off, the battery is connected. Your battery will deplete much worse if you keep going on/off because it takes a lot more power to start and do the quick setup it does in the beginning.

Better off turning on airplane mode if you don't want to be bothered. This isn't an old BlackBerry either with the 'semi-off' function

Back to the topic though, it's most likely because you are plugging into a PC and BlackBerry Link has detected it and is powering it on automatically.
    02-18-15 11:41 PM
    I would think the problem is because your plugging into a computer. The computer is trying to connect to the BB, therefor making it turn on. If it is not doing this when plugging into regular charger there is no defect. why would you charge your phone through a computer only? just curious.
    02-18-15 11:48 PM
    Yup, the pc USB is more than likely triggering an awake or power on event...so that link can connect, backup the phone etc.
    The pc OS could also be triggering the device On, so that the phone can be mounted as storage device.

BTW, I find charging my Passport via USB port never gets me a normal full charge. My Device Monitor battery drain graph always looks flat lined at around 75% for the next day or so after a USB port overnight charge. Something not right...likely a graphing bug, but never happens using the OEM Passport charger.

This Passport takes me places!
    02-18-15 11:51 PM
    There might be a difference between wallcharger and computer USB connection that charges, too by the way.

It is a feature in BlackBerry. The users that brick the device or where the device won't turn on need the possibilits to start it or reload the operating system, restore and backup etc. somehow. Thus, when a critical problem occurs, connecting with USB to a computer might be the saving revitalising way.

For you it might seem unnecessary, for the major par a clear plus!
    May be you need this in the future, so enjoy this functionality and reliabilty of your phone!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675; Germany.
    02-18-15 11:58 PM
    I just tried plugging my switched off Z10 into a BlackBerry wall charger and it stayed off. I then plugged it into my computer via a BlackBerry USB cable and it turned itself on. I have an older iPhone which also turns on when plugged in to charge.
    02-19-15 12:22 AM
    Troll activity maybe?

@ZEDTROSPEKTIV Via BlackBerry Passport, previous Z10, Bold 9790, Bold 9700, Curve 3G, Curve 8250 (1st BB)
    02-19-15 02:45 AM
    All my BlackBerrys are doing this, too.
    Maybe BlackBerry has an "always on" philosophy. Maybe theyr idea is that you always need your phone, that it shouldnt be turned off. If you dont want to be disturbed turn it silent or in sleepmode.
    Just an idea
    02-19-15 04:47 AM