I would guess that most - the vast majority - of us Passport owners bought it for the physical keyboard. The suggestion that Blackberry would/should develop an Android-based Passport without a physical keyboard is inexplicable, to me.
    01-16-16 01:23 PM
    the reason they wont do it is because theres no money to be made for them, what they should do is to have current bb10 users who want android ported over pay for the OS to help offset cost for it. heck i would pay to have some sort of dual boot option during set up to choose which OS i want to run but i dont even think its legal or is it ?
    The Passport most likely did not sell in any quantities where, even if the users would be willing to offset the cost, wouldn't make it profitable for them as a company.

Of course there could be money in it for BlackBerry. Pleasing consumers is what makes companies win in the long term. I am sure many existing passport owners would pay for a version of Android to run on their machines. I would buy another passport and keep two!

Posted via CB10
    Have you been unaware of BlackBerry's situation for the last couple of years? The company has seen some pretty dark days, and blowing money to please less than 1% of the smartphone market is beyond dumb. They aren't in the same position as Microsoft and can blow money at a failed product again and again just to see what sticks.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 01:48 PM
    The Passport most likely did not sell in any quantities where, even if the users would be willing to offset the cost, wouldn't make it profitable for them as a company.
    Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. There's just no way they would make money even if they can have the option. Would It be nice of course but that's just not going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 02:02 PM
    BlackBerry's strategy is to sell new phones, not make major improvements to the older devices. That's basically what all manufacturers do.
    xRuhRohx likes this.
    01-16-16 02:10 PM
    BlackBerry's strategy is to sell new phones, not make major improvements to the older devices. That's basically what all manufacturers do.
    A strategy that they have failed at miserably over and over again.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 02:39 PM
    "Why does BlackBerry not bring android to the passport?"

Because even they know that the Passport is fine with the OS it currently has. Buy a Priv if you want a BlackBerry running Android.
    01-16-16 02:59 PM
    Not worth the effort.

*C5303
    01-16-16 03:34 PM
    There is no value added to bring Android OS to Passport - simple as that.

From user perspective, there are so many Android devices that are cheaper and specs wise - which can handle Androids' power demand and therefore has long life expectancy. The square screen of Passport is not really that advantage since, most (if not all) of Android devices are having 'rectangular' screens, and therefore, most (again, if not all) Android developers designed their apps / games on this screen ratio. Some apps / games might fit to square screen but again, the device's screen where these apps / games where intentionally designed and developed will always have that advantages.

From BlackBerry perspective, there is no profit in making this thing to happen. In fact, it may be the other way around i.e. give them more headache and additional cost since they have to reconfigure the Passport hardware to run on Android OS and most likely to maintain its OS by fixing bugs and bring improvement.

And even those current Passport users that want this thing to happen will get annoyed once they started seeing their favorite and most commonly used apps / games are not appropriately fitted on square screen.

I guess, we can safely conclude that, that is the reason why BlackBerry released Priv with Android OS because releasing Passport with Android OS is another disaster...

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 11:40 PM
    "Why does BlackBerry not bring android to the passport?"

Because even they know that the Passport is fine with the OS it currently has. Buy a Priv if you want a BlackBerry running Android.
    My main point is perhaps that I have rarely read one negative comment about the Passport in terms of build and function. Of course if it were released with Android, BlackBerry could fine tune it in terms of specs and form, but keep its fundamental features. Apple fine tunes it's phones and so do other brands. BlackBerry seems to chase a different model all the time, except maybe for the classic. For me, the passport is a winner and I read in these forums it is also for many others. I presume it also could be for android people. Go with what works.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 12:48 AM
    I think one of the reasons is the screen size. Lots of apps don't come up that I know are out there when I'm looking for it when on the pp because the app won't work with that screen res.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-17-16 01:04 AM
    I was against this idea at first, but the more I read comments I think this could be cool. Using the passport as the ongoing flagship, refining and introducing OS flavor choices could be interesting.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 01:12 AM
    @ square screen: To me it has never been a problem to see a black "beam" above and beneath a running video. In any cinema it's the same.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 02:36 AM
    I have all of my favorite Android apps running on my Passport. All but one look just fine on the passport screen. That one just looks a bit odd but is fully functional and all buttons are visible.
    I wouldn't replace my Passport for an Android version, but I will consider the Vienna because of size.
    01-17-16 04:48 AM
    Why ruin the only true work device available to users with an app infested eco system..... quite unsure I just switched from almost six years of IOS and not planning to go back since I got the passport I am more productive don't spend time on fb and it does what it needs to do just perfectly BTW never had a blackberry before this one and bb10 felt perfect at first sight

Posted via CB10
    anon(8050899) likes this.
    01-17-16 07:26 AM
    My bet is that it will happen - it was the only phone from their BlackBerry 10 line up that got a lot of great feedback and reviews (other than the Classic but it doesn't count - it was praised for being old and good for those diehards).

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 08:55 AM
    I think most using Passport do not see a need for droid os. If it was available to simply load in link, I WOULD NEVER DO IT.

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    01-17-16 08:59 AM
    Why ruin the only true work device available to users with an app infested eco system..... quite unsure I just switched from almost six years of IOS and not planning to go back since I got the passport I am more productive don't spend time on fb and it does what it needs to do just perfectly BTW never had a blackberry before this one and bb10 felt perfect at first sight

Posted via CB10
    I also agree with you. But if bb10 is sidelined, I do need some other apps, such as my health insurance company etc. My phone increasingly needs to be at the centre of information around me. I wish bb10 would continue, but it does not appear to be the case. My biggest wish is for BlackBerry to bring the whole bb10 experience to Android. It's a tall order. Nevertheless, the Passport is the best built BlackBerry to date. It needs further development.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 11:30 AM
    My bet is that it will happen - it was the only phone from their BlackBerry 10 line up that got a lot of great feedback and reviews.
    That's not true: The Z30 won a number of awards, as well as Wired's CES Smartphone Thunderdome in 2014. http://www.wired.com/2014/01/thunder...lenge-results/

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-17-16 11:56 AM
    I just don't understand why Google can't give us some of their apps.
    Why can't we have G+ on our BB10 devices when other non android devices have them.
    Why won't snapchat give us an app?
    There really is no reason for them not to.
    Being a dev, it really doesn't take much effort to do this if the app already exists.
    01-20-16 09:41 AM
44 12