I thought it was cool to have because everyone else has them. So I've downloaded the #Maybank app for Android & realised that it is so slow & that the services available is much inferior to the website. In view of that I've been using the website more for my Maybank transactions.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 09:50 AM
    RBC Banking allows you to add your Credit & Debit cards for NFC mobile payments.

 RED Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 on Telus
    I have RBC but I never figured out how to do this. Is it also carrier dependent? And do I need a new Sim card?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 09:55 AM
    In BE (& I assume most of the EU) bank apps are password accessed while you need a bunch of numbers & a special code calculating device for the web site...

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 10:27 AM
    Here in the US the mobile version is just as good if not better than an app. The AMX, Wells Fargo, USA, Chase and personal local bank mobile sites work just as well if not better than the app. I never have understood the "where is my bank app" complaint but from reading Europe may be different? Seems hard to believe as more and more companies move to HTML for a seamless experience for users across the board (desktop, laptop, mobile) as I did with our companies Web site.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    07-12-15 11:34 AM
    I meant HTML 5 in my previous post.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    07-12-15 11:35 AM
    Here in the US the mobile version is just as good if not better than an app. The AMX, Wells Fargo, USA, Chase and personal local bank mobile sites work just as well if not better than the app. I never have understood the "where is my bank app" complaint but from reading Europe may be different? Seems hard to believe as more and more companies move to HTML for a seamless experience for users across the board (desktop, laptop, mobile) as I did with our companies Web site.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    One can do check deposits from the mobile sites?

Having used two of those, I would opine that the apps are better formatted. Since I use them so infrequently though, I'd rather access from a website when needed. I tend to prefer not to keep unused apps on my device.

If I used them frequently enough, I'd definitely prefer the app.
    07-12-15 01:52 PM
    Again. It's because they've done it that way not because they can't have it work the same way on the Web. http://how-old.net/# is an example of a site that calls the picture gallery / file manager.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    I totally agree with you. The banks have absolutely no excuse for not building that functionality in the website.
    There is no reason why an app should be better than the website. The website is developed for a more powerful computer than the smartphone!
    07-12-15 03:31 PM
    I would venture to guess the entire thing is tied up with European Union and Eurozone regulations regarding banking and websites some of which antedate the appearance of phone apps so the regulations are not the same. I have two banks and two different setups that both work the same way in the European Union where the bank webite requires a calculator and entry of a bunch of numbers whereas the phone app for each bank is simply password-protected after a one time logging experience using the calculator for authentication... that said, my USA bank apps & websites are not dependent on a calculator which is cumbersome, battery dependent, & prone to loss...

I totally agree with you. The banks have absolutely no excuse for not building that functionality in the website.
    There is no reason why an app should be better than the website. The website is developed for a more powerful computer than the smartphone!
    07-12-15 03:40 PM
    'Apps' are usually straight forward in approach. It is also scaled-designed specifically to be readable and convenient for small screen such as mobile phones.

But in absence of 'apps', users have no option but to access it through conventional way i.e. through website, wherein you probably need to zoom the screen to make it readable and convenient to access.

Posted via CB10
    You are forgetting about mobile sites. Those are also formatted for a small screen.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 03:48 PM
    By using Banking app anyone can instantly know about his/her banking status.
    Yes, I understand that. But I can get that via SMS notifications and mobile web. Seems most people only need it for electronic check deposits of a physical check.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 03:49 PM
    Another difference in BE (EU) there are no longer "checks" like the USA...almost all is via EFT or ACH using chip protected cards... there are regular credit cards too.
    07-12-15 03:55 PM
    Here in the UK, Barclays Mobile banking is highly featured, I can see all my accounts even credit cards with Barclaycard, make payments and transfers, it can even act as the RSA security device should I need to log onto main internet banking site. It is a absolute game changer in how easy it is to manage my accounts. Unfortunately its also means my wife can equally easily see whats being spent on a daily basis so I can no longer hide those impulse buys......
    Open a seperate private account, problem solved!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-12-15 04:27 PM
    You are forgetting about mobile sites. Those are also formatted for a small screen.

Posted via CB10
    That depends. My bank doesn't have a mobile website. I can access the regular one but it's such a hassle to read, scroll, zoom in/out on a small screen.

Posted via C5303
    Last edited by johnny_bravo72; 11-05-16 at 06:42 PM.
    07-12-15 05:24 PM
    One reason the large banks are putting more into the apps is because we now have much stronger security in the apps than is possible on the websites. With the websites we are limited by the standards the browsers are capable of. In the apps, we have a much richer set of options. So you'll see the trend of features like deposit or large transfers or online purchases, etc becoming available only through the apps.

As someone pointed out, our regulators, especially in Europe, are more likely to approve new features on the apps before the website because they also understand we can build better security controls into the apps than we can on the web.

The other data we have is that the vast majority of our customers have both options, the website and the apps. As more people bank on their phones, we can easily compare the behaviors of our app customers vs those who still use the web. And we see the customers on apps getting things done faster (total elapsed time from login to transaction completion). We see them rate their experiences quite a bit higher. We see them making more transactions themselves (therefore calling customer service or visiting the branches less often, which is good for us and for them!)

So that's why most large banks now spend more time and money on the apps than the websites.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-12-15 06:19 PM
    Sure but no reason why the mobile site can't look like the app. Alerts might need to function differently. Maybe texts instead of a native notification.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Of course! That mobile app is most likely coded in HTML5 anyway. Problem is people expect apps and don't have a habit to go to websites and major brand names, especially in business and financing, don't have a habit of providing a proper mobile web experience.

The reason why some might feel mobile web is slower and clunkier is lack of pre-caching or app loading. Every time you tap an app you wait for it to fetch the content, exact same thing can be done on web as well. Instead of waiting to load each page mobile websites can be designed as "single load" experience so when it loads it's all smooth and good.

Notifications are something that can be implemented using current technologies. It's up to website to implement it and OS to recognize it. It will come very soon, it's already on desktop (OSX) most likely it's coming to Win10 and finally mobile OSes.
    07-13-15 06:44 AM
    Here in the UK, Barclays Mobile banking is highly featured, I can see all my accounts even credit cards with Barclaycard, make payments and transfers, it can even act as the RSA security device should I need to log onto main internet banking site. It is a absolute game changer in how easy it is to manage my accounts. Unfortunately its also means my wife can equally easily see whats being spent on a daily basis so I can no longer hide those impulse buys......
    Do you need to have the card reader every time you want to log in to the Barclays mobile site?

Classically posted.
    07-13-15 06:55 AM
    FYI: The usa barclay's website & app do not use card readers... never saw that until in the EU...

Do you need to have the card reader every time you want to log in to the Barclays mobile site?

Classically posted.
    07-13-15 07:12 AM
42 12