Don't understand why apps request so much access to our devices? Why the need to shared files for example. Why do they need to access or modify?

Is this not a huge risk.

I have tried to deny these but find some apps don't run well. Thus I end up saying ok to most requests.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 10:22 AM
    Any temporary data they store needs access to the file system. Most apps stored on a PC have full access to files and this isn't all that different. If the app is trusted, it's not that big of an issue. If an app is free and it is not trusted, then there could be an issue. Again, this is not different than any other computer, imo.

Rockin a Passport and Z30! Two devices are better than 1!
    12-13-14 11:19 AM
    Why do most apps need so much permissions to run?-img_20141207_095815.png This is from the android app, and although it is a trusted app I find these permissions problematic!

I mean - trusted or not, why the f do a radio app need access to my contacts and to see who I contacted and how often?

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 11:33 AM
    Not sure why a radi service would need access to contacts unless sharing music with contacts is a feature. The native BlackBerry tunein radio app on my Z30 doesn't ask for any permissions. But it isn't available on my passport.

Rockin a Passport and Z30! Two devices are better than 1!
    12-13-14 11:42 AM
    I'm guessing the concensus is if it's an app from BlackBerry world then it's 'safer'?!

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 11:49 AM
    Android apps don't have a toggle for permission.
    If you want to share a song with someone, the app needs permission for contacts
    If it uses the Internet, it needs network
    If you can use it to check-in, it needs location
    If you can attach a file, like in CB10 app, it needs permission to access your files

It's pretty basic really. How else would the app work
    12-13-14 11:55 AM
    Android apps don't have a toggle for permission.
    If you want to share a song with someone, the app needs permission for contacts
    If it uses the Internet, it needs network
    If you can use it to check-in, it needs location
    If you can attach a file, like in CB10 app, it needs permission to access your files

It's pretty basic really. How else would the app work
    It's cool that it needs network, however, why does it have to see which networks are around and info about them? Why can't it just use the connection I choose? It's okay that it need access to contacts if I can share with a contact (don't know if that's the case, have deleted the app) but why does it need to see who I contacted in the past and how frequently?

I tend to find the permissions asked, out of proportions with the permissions needed for the app to function.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 01:02 PM
    Android apps need access to your contacts because how else is google going to collect email addresses to spam?

Loving my Passport!
    12-13-14 01:40 PM
    It's cool that it needs network, however, why does it have to see which networks are around and info about them? Why can't it just use the connection I choose? It's okay that it need access to contacts if I can share with a contact (don't know if that's the case, have deleted the app) but why does it need to see who I contacted in the past and how frequently?

I tend to find the permissions asked, out of proportions with the permissions needed for the app to function.

Posted via CB10
    Permission descriptions are generic, you paranoid.. person. Just because it says so doesn't mean it is, that's how the OS handles them.
    12-13-14 01:53 PM