It's not made to be practical, it's made to look good.

It is a good idea. But the true Z10 upgrade is missing.
    olivopuccino likes this.
    07-06-14 10:00 AM
    I am most likely going to get the passport, and I have no problem with the square form factor.. but why the pointy corners? Why not rounded corners for ergonomics and comfort in the hand..? Nokia has already tried the pointy corners thing and failed miserably...
    I don't get it

Posted via CB10
    Nokia's Lumia Windows Phone efforts almost single-handedly put WP8 in third place in the platform wars and destroyed the BB10 launch. Sure, they might have 3% marketshare in the US to BlackBerry's 0.3%, but I think the design contributed significantly to MS killing BlackBerry (last year, at least.). The Z10 looked like an iPhone and the Z30 looked like an Android device. BlackBerry's effort to differentiate was extraordinarily weak, but Windows attempted to differentiate with features like People-centric PIM and Glass and with a distinct hardware design. My hats off to them for working hard and realizing that you need to differentiate in a mature market like this.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 01:49 PM
    My hats off to them for working hard and realizing that you need to differentiate in a mature market like this.
    My hats off to them for spending billions of dollars over the course of 4 years and buying an entire hardware OEM for another $7.2 billion to get to 3% market share in the US.
    07-06-14 02:13 PM
    My hats off to them for spending billions of dollars over the course of 4 years and buying an entire hardware OEM for another $7.2 billion to get to 3% market share in the US.
    Yeah but who cares about the US? It's all about Asia and Europe now! Maybe in the 90's but not now.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    07-06-14 04:45 PM
    My phone...
    it has...
    four corners.

Four corners...
    has...
    my phone.
    jcarlos100 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    07-06-14 05:09 PM
    My phone...
    it has...
    four corners.

Four corners...
    has...
    my phone.
    My computer's monitor...
    It also has...
    Four corners.

Four corners...
    has...
    my computer's monitor.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 05:48 PM
    So... you two have tetrahedrons phone and PC? Sounds strange.

Tetrahedron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    07-06-14 06:24 PM
    So... you two have tetrahedrons phone and PC? Sounds strange.
    Naah, not really.

...and on that note: Welcome to Flatland! We're all out of our depth here!
    07-06-14 06:48 PM
    Because it looks ugly rounded. There is a picture on n4bb. About the white render of the passport. The rounded corners make it look old. And not in a good way. http://n4bb.com/blackberry-passport-...tunning-white/

Why did they make it with pointy corners?-imageuploadedbycb-forums1404702512.617061.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    imcurved likes this.
    07-06-14 10:08 PM
    Because it looks ugly rounded. There is a picture on n4bb. About the white render of the passport. The rounded corners make it look old. And not in a good way. http://n4bb.com/blackberry-passport-...tunning-white/
    Yep... rounded looks like crap!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 10:16 PM
    I don't know guys, with corners like that I expect it to shred our pants open from the pocket outwards- like a chainsaw made of razor blades that are on fire.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    07-06-14 11:20 PM
    My Passport has rounded corners, not had one with square corners since one I got in 1986!
    Does it have a screen??

Cuz mine doesnt!!

Q10 On Steroids running on pure Awesomeness
    07-06-14 11:23 PM
    I am most likely going to get the passport, and I have no problem with the square form factor.. but why the pointy corners? Why not rounded corners for ergonomics and comfort in the hand..? Nokia has already tried the pointy corners thing and failed miserably...
    I don't get it

Posted via CB10
    its different and more BALLER to be sharp.
    07-07-14 12:36 AM
    Curved corner will be more comfortable to hold and its look better. But still I will buy Blackberry Passport.
    07-13-14 08:11 PM
    Curved corner will be more comfortable to hold and its look better. But still I will buy Blackberry Passport.
    It would probably be more comfortable but I can't say it it would look better. Look at the pics a few posts above yours.
    07-13-14 09:11 PM
    I like it with pointy corners.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 09:34 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1404702512.617061.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	283475

I love the square corners.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-13-14 10:14 PM
    As the other guy said, it's not only about the US. Nokia obviously targeted emerging markets with their Lumia 5xx series for example and was pretty successful.
    A success MS can build upon even more.

Also, you probably missed the part where the user said "mature market".
    Those a categorised by immense barriers of entry and already existing marketforces who dominate the sector you are trying to break into.
    Paying as much as MS did, was very probably necessary to achieve what they currently have.

There are also halo effects in terms of ecosystem, that are hard to quantify (in terms of being profit positive/negative/neutral) for in and outsiders.
    How many W8 tablets (not Surface, just tablets with that OS) and XBOX did MS sell more because of their efforts in the mobile phone space?
    Or the other way round.

It's very clear that we can't look at MS/Apple/Google the way we do it with BlackBerry.
    When those companies announce a new product/the entrance in a new business sector, then we have to consider how that will affect their current product portfolio and therefore their ecosystem as well.
    With BlackBerry, this is different. They have no ecosystem and apart from BES, there isn't a huge product portfolio to begin with (I am of the opinion that the BBOS support should have been cut off for consumers a while ago though. Enterprises should have an enhanced support period. Irrelevant for the point I am making though).

So when MS "burns" through 10 billion to get something, we have to analyse that in the context of their whole product portfolio.
    Not to forget that MS at least was able to get the 3rd place in terms of OS market share. Something BlackBerry apparently doesn't even try to achieve, seeing their "refocus on core values, aka back to roots, alias selling to Enterprise clients ". The Z3 does send a completely different message though, which seems to contradict what we heard about refocusing on the enterprise.

Anyhow, MS got something for their cash and they try to break into new markets and segments.
    They need smartphones for their overall ecosystem to stay/become competitive.
    They also had some spare cash which makes "buying into the market" the most obvious strategy.

Hats-off for MS doing what it has to do, and acting in advance before it's too late.
    A lot enterprises sleep through that crucial step and are never able to recover.
    Ofc there is no guarantee that MS' gamble will succeed, but they are trying pretty hard.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 12:19 AM
    I don't get it

Posted via CB10
    incase your getting mugged and you have no WEAPON.

PASSPORT corner TO THE EYE WOULD do some damage!!!!
    imcurved likes this.
    07-14-14 12:41 AM
    Because it looks ugly rounded. There is a picture on n4bb. About the white render of the passport. The rounded corners make it look old. And not in a good way. BlackBerry Passport Rendered in Stunning White | N4BB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1404702512.617061.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	283475

OMG that makes the Passport look so boring actually! I never saw that before. Makes me NOT WANT IT. meh...
    07-14-14 12:42 AM
    The Passport is so wide that it literally yells at you "operate me two handed" when you actually cut its dimensions (3.5" * 5") out of a sheet of paper and hold it. Pointy corners aren't an issue.
    07-14-14 04:23 AM
71 123