I have a new Passport - 2 weeks in and on almost every call people cannot hear me at times with fading in and out. A brilliant device yet the sound issue is just unacceptable. If anyone can help I'd be grateful.

It's not a network issue and never did the Q10 do this. Anyone have any setting ideas or similar experiences with the PP?

Michael
    01-16-15 10:20 PM
    I have a new Passport - 2 weeks in and on almost every call people cannot hear me at times with fading in and out. A brilliant device yet the sound issue is just unacceptable. If anyone can help I'd be grateful.

It's not a network issue and never did the Q10 do this. Anyone have any setting ideas or similar experiences with the PP?

Michael
    You're not holding it right - I had the same problems when I first got mine, I just talked to a buddy and asked him to tell me when it was the loudest while I moved it around to find the best position - It has something to do with the noise cancellation system. Yeah, I know it kind of sucks and afik there isn't any software setting to change it so I guess you either live with it or scrap the phone.

Honestly, I'm really starting to get tired of the problems that develop with this phone after a couple of months of usage. The camera or maybe the camera software (I don't know which or maybe both) is crap even though they really promoted the camera. Sure, it's 13MP with OIS but I find it takes worst pictures than my Z10, Z30 & my Classic. It has a real hard time focusing in low light and most low light photos end up blurry and the colours just doesn't seem right. In addition the touchscreen is not always responsive, the volume issue as you described, has a poorly designed sim card reader (easily damages if you swap sim cards back and forth to other phones). I have received 3 replacements for different issues but all of them have the crappy camera issue and oh yeah - I had one that was warped LOL.

Anyway, enough of my ranting - I've stop using it and prefer to use my Z30, Classic or my G3
    Vintage123 and The HUB like this.
    01-16-15 10:25 PM
    It could be the Protector cover! Really no problem with mine no matter where I have it. Check the mic.

Jaglenn's Passport
    The HUB likes this.
    01-16-15 10:34 PM
    It's very easy to cover the mic with your finger while holding it if you support the phone that way. The mic is next to the USB port on the bottom. I know it's not the only mic but it makes a lot of difference to your volume

Passport or Z10, whichever is nearest
    anon(8908445) and The HUB like this.
    01-16-15 10:43 PM
    Wow - great response! Thanks so much.

I've trawled forums and BB support and it usually comes down to what you said re holding the darn phone. It's really insane after the hype that such a basic issue is holding the phone. Really bad design.

The big promotion was the '4 Quad Microphone Systems' - really?

I have small hands and don't cover the mic at the bottom. It's doing my head in and if the so called next OS release does not fix the problem(which apparently addresses the issue that does appear to be wide-spread) - I'll be sending it back to Optus and get the Classic when it arrives. $816 outright at Optus Sydney for the latest and greatest with people saying I fade in and out...it's very frustrating not to mention disappointing.

It's currently running 10.3.0.908 and I have NO idea how to update it via the leaks...in Australia BlackBerry support is non existent. And they want to turn the brand around? I've been loyal for 7 years and now am regretting selling my Q10.

Sorry - rant over. It was a lot of money for a phone that has to be held a certain way. Are BB kidding...?
    01-16-15 11:49 PM
    This problem is a known issue with the stock os. Try to install one of the newer leaks PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072 f.e.

It is gone with the newer versions.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 12:00 AM
    I have no issues. Make sure mute is off. Middle button between the up and down volume buttons on the right side of the Passport

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    The HUB likes this.
    01-17-15 12:03 AM
    This problem is a known issue with the stock os. Try to install one of the newer leaks PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072 f.e.

It is gone with the newer versions.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks deiop - I have read about leaks that will fix...is it easy to do. Which one would you suggest?

Pardon my ignorance. Thanks for confirming the stock issue reality...much appreciated.
    01-17-15 12:14 AM
    Mine was fine till I installed a leak now no one can hear me unless I use a bluetooth

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 06:46 PM
    Wow - great response! Thanks so much.

I've trawled forums and BB support and it usually comes down to what you said re holding the darn phone. It's really insane after the hype that such a basic issue is holding the phone. Really bad design.

The big promotion was the '4 Quad Microphone Systems' - really?

I have small hands and don't cover the mic at the bottom. It's doing my head in and if the so called next OS release does not fix the problem(which apparently addresses the issue that does appear to be wide-spread) - I'll be sending it back to Optus and get the Classic when it arrives. $816 outright at Optus Sydney for the latest and greatest with people saying I fade in and out...it's very frustrating not to mention disappointing.

It's currently running 10.3.0.908 and I have NO idea how to update it via the leaks...in Australia BlackBerry support is non existent. And they want to turn the brand around? I've been loyal for 7 years and now am regretting selling my Q10.

Sorry - rant over. It was a lot of money for a phone that has to be held a certain way. Are BB kidding...?
    I'm curious about this.
    What way of holding the Passport will the person on the other end have difficulty hearing you?

Posted via my Pretty WhiteBerry Passport
    02-05-15 09:05 PM
    I have accidentally pressed the mute with my cheek touching the mute button on the screen.....It gives a bleep...at 1st I thought it was the other callers problem!

P.S. I have fat cheeks!
    andy957 likes this.
    02-05-15 09:20 PM
    Try setting the phone volume to the highest level.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 09:20 PM
    Some time, it happens in my Z30, call goes on mute automatically. Although, I take precautions holding it away from cheek but it happens more often when signal is less either at side.
    02-05-15 09:30 PM
    If the screen remains ON during a call, something is wrong with the proximity sensor. Because if you hold the phone near to your ear, normally the screen will turn off, to avoid pressing the mute button with your cheek.

Posted via my Pretty WhiteBerry Passport
    02-05-15 09:49 PM
    No its not mute, people can still hear you but they say "am I on speaker" or " you sound far away" that's not mute and no not covering any mic. It's simple it's the OS it's a problem like any other software it can affect me and not you.

Posted via CB10
    The HUB likes this.
    02-06-15 07:42 PM
    Yes you can also press the Speaker button with your cheek during a call if your screen doesn't turn off when you put it by your ear.

If your phone's proximity sensor is working, your screen should turn off during a call so you will not accidentally press Speaker On button etc on the screen.

Posted via my Pretty WhiteBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    02-06-15 07:56 PM
    Hey all,
    So my Passport started to have a fading mic problem. When I am on a voice call they barley hear me till I faded away. I see some are blaming the OS and for some yeah maybe it is but that was not my case. I called BlackBerry and they had me do some mic tests. I found that the mic worked fine in the test but I didn't tell them that. They mailed me a package to ship my phone to the BlackBerry repair center in CA. I left a note in the box that it only happens on phone calls not using speaker and all the test came back fine. BlackBerry repair center found the was off centered. I dropped the phone once and it had Lil chip on the screen and a small scratch on the bezel. BlackBerry replaced all of the only thing that was not replaced was the motherboard and battery. The phone looked factory fresh with all the plastic coverings and stuff.
    So long story short your mic maybe off centered or became loose. I would not blame it on the OS go get it fixed, it's free fast and they went above and beyond by repairing the scratches on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 09:23 AM
    Does anyone place it down on your desk and use speaker during calls? Have any problems with people hearing you in this case?

My iPhone was terrible for speaker phone or the headset it came with. I was really hoping this would be a lot better.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 10:12 AM
    On the desk crystal clear.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 03:32 PM