With 32GB I'm thinking that there is no longer any need to run my media card. Is there any disadvantage to not having a media card e.g. battery drain used to be an issue with internal memory.
    01-18-15 12:09 AM
    No there's not any disadvantage to not having a media card in per se.

A benefit though, would be that you can store as much music, photos and videos (Depending on size of card and size of files) as you need and transfer that card and files to any device that takes a Micro SD Card.

Not to mention if you ever need more than 32 GB's of storage, you can expand it further.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and mhw100 like this.
    01-18-15 12:20 AM
    Well, the most obvious disadvantage is that you have a more limited storage. Others being that should you switch to another device, you will have to reload any and every file that you want to keep with you. Or if something were to happen to your device, you could lose that data completely whereas some of it might be salvageable on a media card.
    The other thing to consider is that while you do have 32 gb of storage, you don't want to come anywhere near maxing that out or else you will likely notice your device will slow down and start to run less smoothly. The OS is stored on there too so once it becomes bogged down with a bunch of 'clutter' it will perform less efficiently.
    I can think of lots of advantages for having a media card. While it isn't necessary, I can't think of why you wouldn't want to have one.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    jigjanus, EsJayDee, mhw100 and 1 others like this.
    01-18-15 12:24 AM
    I've only got 12 gb of data so my thought was it wouldn't bog the system down and may save the battery from reading the media card which I thought took more juice. I also have my data well backed up.
    01-18-15 12:35 AM
    Well, if 32 gb is more than enough for your needs, you should be fine. I like to keep a large selection of music on my device so a memory card better suits me. I don't really see any disadvantages for having a memory card, however I don't really see any advantage of having one if you really don't need it.
    I think that the battery drain is quite inadmissible, especially for the Passport. If you think you've got more than enough storage, you have even more room to spare when it comes to your battery.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-18-15 01:34 AM
    I've read about all sorts of problems and issues with regard to media cards. Different manufacturers and card sizes. Can you recommend a "safe" combination for the Passport?

Posted via CB10 on my Passport
    01-18-15 03:25 AM
    Any of SanDisk's or Kingston's Micro SD cards would be fine. Just head to Amazon. They have regular deals on them as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 03:51 AM
    Any of SanDisk's or Kingston's Micro SD cards would be fine. Just head to Amazon. They have regular deals on them as well.

Posted via CB10
    What about capacity? I remember reading through a thread somewhere about horrendous problems someone had with a high capacity card and an equally complicated fix.

01-18-15 04:07 AM
    You may lose important data stored on the internal memory if the OS crashes and needs to be reinstalled.
    Chris Chin likes this.
    01-18-15 04:15 AM
    I've used SanDisk cards in 32,64 and 128GB with no problems at all in both my Z30 and now Passport. Didn't use 128GB in my Z30 though. I use SD cards for storing my music, photos and videos as its easier to replace if it gets full. I leave all the internal storage for Apps or what's necessary to store on it. All I have ever done with the SD cards is put in phone, downloads the driver, format and that's it.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 04:31 AM
    I've never had a problem with cards in BlackBerry either but with the generous 32 gb speed of read access and maybe battery saving might be a motivation if that is true but as stated above this massive battery shouldn't be an issue on this device.
    01-18-15 10:50 AM
    I always put the largest allowed storage media card on my phone the minute I buy the new phone. I had 64 Gbyte SanDisk cards on my z10 and z30 and now 128gbyte SanDisk card on the passport. Never had to download any drivers. They all worked flawlessly from first insertion.
    The benefits of the SD card have been mentioned by many above. The power drain on the battery is negligible.
    I also prefer to keep all my data with mec on my phone and laptop, never in the cloud.
    If you really want to save the environment by saving your battery, you should store your data locally rather than transmit it to and from a cloud.
    Apart from the loss of control and security when you trust your data with someone else, communication (transmitting data to and from the cloud) is far more power hungry and inefficient (order of magnitude higher energy per bit) than computation and storage.
    01-18-15 01:58 PM
    I got 36gb of music alone! Hence need a big SD card!

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 02:05 PM
    What about capacity? I remember reading through a thread somewhere about horrendous problems someone had with a high capacity card and an equally complicated fix.

Got the 32GB SanDisk one for my Q5 couple months ago. No problems. Just put it in like any normal card and you're ready to go.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 02:28 AM
    I've heard that if you have more data stored on the device that could influence battery, but they might simply be rumors.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-19-15 03:00 AM
    I have over 32GB of data and currently own a SanDisk 64GB High Speed Class 10 SDXC card.

The only problem I have had was when I formatted a prior card to Fat32. The card died after a year of use and I had to order another one. Many have had similar experiences which a Google search will confirm. ExFat is the way to go.

Back to the question at hand. For me the bigger issue is lost data due to the phone dying, which I have also experienced.

One other issue is the length of time a backup requires. More data on the internal memory more time required.

T-Mobile  STL100-3 Z10 running Autoloaded 10.3.1.2072.
    01-19-15 05:29 AM
    With 32GB I'm thinking that there is no longer any need to run my media card. Is there any disadvantage to not having a media card e.g. battery drain used to be an issue with internal memory.
    Agreedas there real disadvantage BUT more external memory means more multimedia storage like pics,music,documents etc

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 06:35 AM
    Imo its useful to have mem card in a mobile,because with an adapter its much faster to copy or get datas via pc as with with cable and next to it,i can put all my music,videos,images in no time in to another device if it is. Also,in case my mobile dies or gets faulty,i have all the datas stored on the mem card,otherwise,its really hard to get those back...

Aquila non captat muscas
    01-19-15 06:42 AM
    Well than probably that's why my card went caput. I had a generic 128gb sdhc card from ebay that acted unstable. I had bought it for cheap. Didn't realize I needed a sdxc card.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 08:14 AM
    Well than probably that's why my card went caput. I had a generic 128gb sdhc card from ebay that acted unstable. I had bought it for cheap. Didn't realize I needed a sdxc card.

Posted via CB10
    It probably was a lower capacity and class.

If anyone is planning to get an SD card, have it be at least class 10. I recommend the Samsung EVO or the Samsung PRO and SanDisk Extreme Pro if 4k recording ever comes to the passport.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-19-15 08:23 AM
    I can't try it now, but I thought you can't access your internal memory when plugged into your computer via usb mass storage?

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 08:52 AM
    I can't try it now, but I thought you can't access your internal memory when plugged into your computer via usb mass storage?

Posted via CB10
    I was going to say, the USB mass storage feature with a card installed is a benefit to me.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 10:19 AM
    If you're like me and install leaks without restores then the SD card comes in real handy. Also like the USB capability because I've used it a few times while traveling to send documents from my laptop.

No SD card is useful if you're going to do device encryption, then ALL your data is secure vs the SD card being readable in any system. You could also encrypt the card, I believe, but then if switching devices, you wouldn't be able to use the card if something happens to the device.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 11:15 AM
    For media

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    01-27-15 12:49 PM
    I think everyone has pointed out the primary benefits to using a memory card, but here are my thoughts:

- Allows much greater spaec to store movies, music, files, etc. I keep a ton of movies & music on my external card.
    - Allows for OS wipes, updates, etc. without losing data. Security wipes will erase internal memory, but keeps contents of memory card in tact. Same applies to OS reloads.
    - Allows for easy transition to new device. Simply take card out of old device, pop it into new device, and you instantly have all of your content. It's much faster & easier than transferring back & forth.
    - Allows fast & easy transfer to a computer. I have a card reader built into my PC, so I can take my card out, pop it into the PC, & quickly transfer what I need. It's much faster than using a USB cable.
    - expandable. If I run out of space on one card (or on the device), I can pop in another.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 01:05 PM
30 12