News flash: Andy Rubin is not with Google anymore. Also I think it's more of a technical problem than the legal one.
    06-26-16 05:11 AM
    Assumption.
    You do understand what "probably" means, don't you?

*ME173X
    06-26-16 05:56 AM
    Probably can't up

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 06:14 AM
    Grade cause the first run time was a hack into it. The the next version they tried to block the hack

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 06:16 AM
    And hack I mean security flaw in android.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 06:17 AM
    There is a suit against Google and the Android manufacturer's agreement in Europe. Within the next few years, it may be possible for BlackBerry to update the runtime as well as maintain their access to Google services. Heck, maybe even give BB10 Google Services.

Things are going to change, at least in Europe.
    BB10 is a zombie OS, what happens to Android in 2018 is neither here nor there.
    06-26-16 06:54 AM
    BlackBerry passport very unique phone! Sad it's over for him so quick

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 07:04 AM
    BB10 is a zombie OS, what happens to Android in 2018 is neither here nor there.
    I think it's interesting, even if BB10 won't be able to reap the rewards. Maybe BB11. Or any other new OS. Nothing will force makers to run Android OS, just the Android app runtime will be necessary to have a full suite of third party apps.

That is if I understand the situation correctly.
    06-26-16 08:44 AM
    I think it's interesting, even if BB10 won't be able to reap the rewards. Maybe BB11. Or any other new OS. Nothing will force makers to run Android OS, just the Android app runtime will be necessary to have a full suite of third party apps.

As long as Google holds the "Crown jewels" of Android which is Google Play store (aka the ecosystem) no OEM will even attempt to build an Android devices without Google Play and try to sell it in the western world.

Even today nobody is forcing OEMs to build Android devices. They always has the option of building their own OS (or licencing Windows phone), but even the mighty Samsung with Tizen isn't abandoning Android.
    06-26-16 09:12 AM

There isn't anyone left at BBRY to build BB11 - there is a small amount of people doing security patches but actual work on the OS has ceased.
    06-26-16 10:12 AM
    What about cyanogen ??

Excuse my ignorance, so can a third party developer update or create a new runtime? Or is that too ingrained into the OS and a developer would not be able to do this?

If possible, I vote for thurask, conite, cobalt and sachesi (and others) to work on it.
    06-26-16 10:55 AM
    Excuse my ignorance, so can a third party developer update or create a new runtime? Or is that too ingrained into the OS and a developer would not be able to do this?

If possible, I vote for thurask, conite, cobalt and sachesi (and others) to work on it.
    The latter.
    06-26-16 11:49 AM
    What about cyanogen ??
    Cyanogen is just a custom build of AOSP Android. It's not difficult to make Cyanogen fully Google-compliant, which is exactly what they did for the OnePlus One. Manufacturers like Samsung, LG, and HTC make plenty of minor (and even not-so-minor) customizations to Android for their own phones, but the phones are still Android and still Google-compliant, and thus comply with their licenses for GMS and Google Play.

Jolla Sailfish, Tizen, WinPhone, BB10, Ubuntu Phone, and probably others are not Android-based (though several are Linux-based), and thus cannot qualify for Google certification, so even if they build an Android runtime, they still won't get GMS or Google Play Store on their devices out of the box or with official support. In fact, Google could choose to block access at any time to non-certified devices - clearly the reason they haven't is because those alternative OSs have been failing all on their own, and barely represent any threat. The minute that changed, you could expect Google to drop the hammer.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-26-16 01:20 PM

If it was possible, they would have already done it.
    06-26-16 02:07 PM
    I'm pretty sure, if you review the license credits on your Passport, that Google and BlackBerry have an official partnership arrangement which permits them to keep the BlackBerry android engine on the OS 10 phones indefinitely. I think the previous statement that it is a matter of budget and cost to upgrade is the most accurate explanation, but I speculate on what everyone else has pointed out here,

In any event what I want to share here is that after I added a Priv to my collection of BlackBerry phones, I cleaned the Android apps from the Passport because the performance on Priv is so much better. Performance also improved on the Passport with OS 10-only apps, and the battery now lasts 2 to 3 days between charges. Most of the bugs on the Priv seem to be fixed with the Marshmallow release.

Bottom line is I use the Passport in my business, and the Priv for personal use. Both of them are extremely useful and I have no plans to go back to iOS.
    06-26-16 02:57 PM
40 12