09-25-14 08:56 PM
139 ... 3456
tools
    Because Canada is one of the best countries in the world to live and work!

Posted with my soon to be Passport
    09-24-14 09:25 PM
    Huh?
    09-24-14 09:28 PM
    As usual Canadian consumers get shafted! I remember a few years back when magazines had two prices listed for US and Canada where typically it was 9.99 US 13.99 CAN, at that time our dollar was surging and was at par or a few cents higher than US and stayed that way for over a few years. People started to complain why products were still being priced more when our dollar was at par. The magazine companies answer to this was they dropped dual listing their prices.
    09-24-14 09:34 PM
    Oh Canada.....

Posted with my soon to be Passport
    09-24-14 09:36 PM
    What ever the reason, the optics are terrible.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 09:39 PM
    Currently the Canadian dollar is 11% weaker than the USD, so at a minimum the phone would be priced at $665 in Canada.

As to the extra 34 bucks, it's not unusual for products in Canada to be priced slightly higher than US due to the ultra-competitive retail environment in the US. But really you're only paying about 6% more...
    You are 100% correct. That said Xbox One is $399 CAD and $399 USD so I think BlackBerry could have done the same. At least $659 would have been nice.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    skibnik likes this.
    09-24-14 09:40 PM
    Wahhh. $100 is soooooo much money... Stop whining. Be happy BlackBerry hasn't folded yet. I was ready to pay the $800 that was speculated before. I knew the phone would be $650+ for sure after the $599USD announcement. It's how it is. Whining like a kid about it won't change it. Deal with it, and accept it. If this exact phone was made by Sony, Samsung, or HTC it would have been even more expensive. Just be glad we have a premium BlackBerry device.
    bigbadben10 and anon(8908445) like this.
    09-24-14 09:45 PM
    There are no import taxes, they are just collecting the sales tax appropriate to your province. This is where the Americans are also saving, no shipping and no sales taxes.

Posted via CB10
    In many States in the US they have to pay state tax on purchases, even online now because the individual states are tired of not getting taxes from online consumer purchases. If Amazon or anyone else doesn't collect state taxes now they are liable to pay the taxes if audited by the governments.

People in the US have to pay tax as well.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 09:52 PM
    So let me get this straight. The people that stuck with you through thick and thin (i.e. Canadians) are the first people you screw when you actually see a glimmer of hope that your not going to go bankrupt. Wow, what a strategy. Well I guess the good news is that we won't have to wait long for the prices to fall with the usual panic sale. Great strategy Mr. Chen. You blew it.
    I'm Canadian but I'm not naive enough to think that Canada has saved BlackBerry. Look at the countries such as Indonesia, Phillipines, UK they have so much more population compared to Canada and they've saved BlackBerry more likely.

In Canada we don't have a free trade agreement with Japan, China or Vietnam where most of the components and ultimate assembly is done so we do have to extra customs duties compared to the US.

Part of the premium Canadians pay is because of this.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    09-24-14 09:58 PM
    For those that say it's only a $35 difference, I say direct those comments to BlackBerry management. It's only a $35 difference so match the US price for Canadians.
    Its not a $35 difference.,

TD Bank rate late this afternoon to transfer funds between accounts gave me this rate.

To: US $ BUSINESS
    Amount: $599.00 USD = $680.04 CAD
    Exchange Rate: $1.00 USD = $1.1353 CAD

So we're talking about a freakin $19 difference!!!
    Denny_Crane likes this.
    09-24-14 10:13 PM
    Price of goods are not dictated by daily fluctuations in currency. The Passport was produced at a price that was set before production began. If the Canadian dollar suddenly drops to 1 to 1 US$ tomorrow, do you think the Passport in Canada will be $599?
    09-24-14 10:30 PM
    Price of goods are not dictated by daily fluctuations in currency. The Passport was produced at a price that was set before production began. If the Canadian dollar suddenly drops to 1 to 1 US$ tomorrow, do you think the Passport in Canada will be $599?
    Manufacturing costs were probably based on the US dollar and therefore $599 became the baseline price. If someone today decided that cross border shopping would server them better they just need to realize that at today's rates they will have pull out close to that in $Cdn from their account. Credit card rates are even worse. The point is at todays rates (which haven't changed munch the last few months) it's not that much cheaper to cross border shop.

Also the Canadian retail supply channel is much more costly than the US with profit taking that is not seen in the US supply chain.
    RH1Pearl likes this.
    09-24-14 10:40 PM
    I bought my passport for 200 on a 2 year contract, so full price was $700. I actually didn't realize until now. Meh, what can you do, I'm just trying to learn how to type faster on this keyboard haha!

Posted via CB10
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    09-24-14 10:46 PM
    Why was the intitial price of a product manufactured for a Canadian company quoted in US dollars to begin with? You don't get up on stage and anounce that you want support from the home team and then give somebody else a discount off the regular price. If the regular price was different that would be one thing but it not.
    dejanh likes this.
    09-24-14 10:46 PM
    Why was the intitial price of a product manufactured for a Canadian company quoted in US dollars to begin with? You don't get up on stage and anounce that you want support from the home team and then give somebody else a discount off the regular price. If the regular price was different that would be one thing but it not.
    Why because Chen is an American and I've worked with many US executives that's what they are used to and the American market is the one they know and do business in the most. It's the same if you are a Canadian company and do business with Chinese companies they only deal with USD, not Canadian. They laugh at you if you want to pay with CDN$

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by allsportsfan; 09-26-14 at 10:07 AM.
    MsDarkDiva likes this.
    09-24-14 10:50 PM
    There is no discount between the two prices if you look at todays exchanges rates. Unless you think $19 is a big discount.

To: US $ BUSINESS
    Amount: $599.00 USD = $680.04 CAD
    Exchange Rate: $1.00 USD = $1.1353 CAD
    09-24-14 10:50 PM
    I don't know if you noticed but the regular US price is 699, so yah bb did discount $100.
    09-25-14 12:00 AM
    I'm not mad. I was just hoping they would price it better for us loyal Canadians. I don't care if the carriers are charging more. Although $750 at Bell is the same price as an iPhone6. Carriers are there to buy phones subsidized on contract so I don't care what the final price is as long it is a reasonable contract price. Wait nope. More expensive than an iPhone 6 on a 2 year contract with Bell. Okay. Then let's get it unlocked direct from BlackBerry. Oh, but the US gets a $100 discount. Yes, it's a discount. It's listed as $100 off. They should have given Canadians the same discount. If I was really interested in the Passport I would probably get it anyway. lol The point is I wish they gave us Canadians a discount too. Even if it was for 1 week only. Doesn't matter. Who else do you think travels to the US rocking BB's but us Canadians. That's free advertising. Lol.
    I guess Chen read the posts from Canadian users here that stated they would buy it at any price
    09-25-14 01:17 AM
    Think it through guys.

In Canada, it is sold through carriers. Carriers want a piece too.

In the US, it is sold by BlackBerry directly, carrier doesn't get a piece.

Obvious.

Posted via CB10
    Phone sold through carriers in the US are the same price as buying directly from the manufacturer. Carriers only care about selling services and lock you in a contract
    09-25-14 01:20 AM
    Chen didn't know why it's $699 in Canada because he lives in California
    He is the CEO of a Canadian company not a California one.
    09-25-14 01:24 AM
    I think the reason we didn't get discount like US did was due to carrier relations.
    If BlackBerry is selling Passport for $599 right away, no one but who are willing to sign contract would buy them from Telus.
    Telus won't sell them without contract too cheap either. Because they want contract not device sales. I bet US discount will end as soon as AT&T start selling Passport.

It's sucks for me. But it's business deal.
    BlackBerry doesn't have too much power over carrier like Apple to do whatever they please.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 01:53 AM
    I was hoping the price should be about $599 for all markets. But somehow, it is only at US.
    The price is too high, eg. 649 EUR in EU.
    Thanks BB
    I will not buy Passport
    09-25-14 02:01 AM
    Hope someone from Blackberry is reading these comments and at least do something about their repetitive mistakes.
    Wasn't sure whether to switch to Passport. Now I'm sure. I'll wait till the price drops.
    Should have given early bird discount in all the countries and then bring the price up after month or two. Assuming that would have increased the sale and popularity. Rather than not catching up with sales and then dropping the price and hurting the Blackberry image.
    By not making "obvious " right decision blackberry has not done justice to the BB10 devices.

Posted via ZED TEN
    dejanh likes this.
    09-25-14 02:29 AM
    Not a big deal if this is only $20 difference.
    09-25-14 07:39 AM
    Not a big deal if this is only $20 difference.
    Exactly and as usual everyone is ignoring this blatant fact.
    09-25-14 08:31 AM
139 ... 3456