Exactly and as usual everyone is ignoring this blatant fact.
    You are ignoring the fact that it's comes with free shipping in the us and likely the taxes are less as well

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    09-25-14 08:42 AM
    Could it be that the Canadian price is higher in order not to compete with Canadian carriers, who want to attract buyers with subsidies? Since there are currently no US carriers offering the Passport, there's no danger of underselling them.

I'm just guessing here.
    09-25-14 08:47 AM
    You can always pay $1100 for a bending phone instead. Lol

Posted via CB10
    allsportsfan likes this.
    09-25-14 08:47 AM
    You are ignoring the fact that it's comes with free shipping in the us and likely the taxes are less as well

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    Which has nothing to do with how prices are set.
    09-25-14 08:57 AM
    You can always pay $1100 for a bending phone instead. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Well, it's not far off and it comes with a much better ecosystem and support. Also, as much as this bending thing is amusing to see, it's not a big deal. I'd argue that as much as it is a design flaw, it also has a lot to do with the users who simply aren't used to phablet devices. They aren't meant to fit into your tiny, skinny jeans pocket.

For me personally, I'm device agnostic, and I am considering an iPhone 6 Plus as an option. I'm also considering the Passport, but I am very irked at the price relative to the ecosystem you're buying into.

Finally, to all of the nonsense people yapping on and on about how it's a $20 or a $30 difference, please do the math.

Passport sold from Amazon, shipped to Canada with taxes and duties all in is $750 CAD. The Passport from Shop BlackBerry is $805 CAD, which is a $55 CAD difference. Basically, the Canadian price should be $50 to $100 less to be on par, if that's what BlackBerry was going for. Right now they are gouging Canadian BlackBerry loyals.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 10:31 AM

Finally, to all of the nonsense people yapping on and on about how it's a $20 or a $30 difference, please do the math.

Passport sold from Amazon, shipped to Canada with taxes and duties all in is $750 CAD. The Passport from Shop BlackBerry is $805 CAD, which is a $55 CAD difference. Basically, the Canadian price should be $50 to $100 less to be on par, if that's what BlackBerry was going for. Right now they are gouging Canadian BlackBerry loyals.

Posted via CB10
    The only thing that matters when deciding if gouging is in play is the list price. Not shipping, taxes or duties. Those are part of the buying process for sure but not part of the base price determination by the manufacturer.
    09-25-14 11:00 AM
    And the base price is what BlackBerry reduced.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:33 AM
    This does not matter. I live in a border town so I have always frequently gone to the U.S. Throughout my lifetime and I can tell you right now that everything is pretty much priced equally. The power of the dollar has no effect on this 699 vs 599 pricepoint. That is way too big a difference. If they wanted to make it exact and price it at 639 canadian then do that. But that's not what their intentions were with a 699 price point. They simply slapped on another hundred bucks

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    This is just untrue.
    Prices are indeed lower in the US vs Canada.
    Shop in Toronto then go shop in Buffalo.
    Go out to dinner in Canada then anywhere in the USA.
    Groceries are cheaper in the USA.
    Phone bills are cheaper in the USA.
    Do I really need to continue??
    09-25-14 11:45 AM
    You can't even consider taxes or shipping since BlackBerry has no control over.

There must be reasons for this difference beyond exchange rates since the price is different for all countries. Since this can be seen for a very large number of products other than BlackBerry phone then it would seem logical that BlackBerry alone is not responsible for the variation.

Since it is likely that none of us are experts in internal trade then this continuing debate hardly seems productive.

And why were US dollars used for the "base" pricing? Because it is a common practice with globally oriented businesses to use US dollars as a reference point being historically one of the most stable currencies.

Posted via CB10 on a Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154
    09-25-14 08:12 PM
    You can't even consider taxes or shipping since BlackBerry has no control over.

There must be reasons for this difference beyond exchange rates since the price is different for all countries. Since this can be seen for a very large number of products other than BlackBerry phone then it would seem logical that BlackBerry alone is not responsible for the variation.

Since it is likely that none of us are experts in internal trade then this continuing debate hardly seems productive.

And why were US dollars used for the "base" pricing? Because it is a common practice with globally oriented businesses to use US dollars as a reference point being historically one of the most stable currencies.

Posted via CB10 on a Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154
    The only reason is BlackBerry blowing carriers

In short, Chen made too many promises he couldn't keep/ were contradictions
    - telus 1 week exclusivity
    - pricing announcement
    - shop BlackBerry history of having the same price in Canada and USA (z30=499)

So. Chen said 599, right? But that's not true.

Chen wants to sell for 599 but att/carriers do not. The price is 699 msrp.
    Chen will only sell for 599 until att starts selling the device, at which time the price will go up to 699 usd (Chen said this in an interview).

The issue with Canadian pricing is the telus 1 week exclusive. In other words, the msrp of 699$ was what telus and shopblackberry Canada are selling for. Chen won't undercut the carriers. (but he'll let the carriers screw his launch)
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 09-25-14 at 08:32 PM.
    09-25-14 08:17 PM
    One other thing I keep hearing about the keyboard on the Passport....how you can swipe back and delete one word at a time....we already have this feature on our BB10 devices right now ( Z10,Q10,etc.).

Why are they saying this is amazing? This isn't new. I can do that on my Z10 as we speak. Anyways, can't wait to get my Passport.....

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:27 PM
    This does not matter. I live in a border town so I have always frequently gone to the U.S. Throughout my lifetime and I can tell you right now that everything is pretty much priced equally. The power of the dollar has no effect on this 699 vs 599 pricepoint. That is way too big a difference. If they wanted to make it exact and price it at 639 canadian then do that. But that's not what their intentions were with a 699 price point. They simply slapped on another hundred bucks

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    Interesting, I do not find this AT ALL. Especially now that our dollar has been far from par for so long, and things in Canada going back up, prices in the States, in my humble opinion, are lower on just about everything across the board... from food to gas to clothes to auto repairs.

Maybe we border different states? Lol
    09-25-14 08:34 PM
    Nucks26 suck it up. Do you see iphone 6 ppl complaining that ppl in Canada are paying more for it in Canada than the US? They also pay a $100 premium for each model in Canada. That's how the game works so suck it up man.

Posted via CB10
    grevan88 and allsportsfan like this.
    09-25-14 08:42 PM
    The only thing that matters when deciding if gouging is in play is the list price. Not shipping, taxes or duties. Those are part of the buying process for sure but not part of the base price determination by the manufacturer.
    I guess you missed the part where I equalized the prices, you know, by converting them into the same currency, buying and shipping to the same place, under the same rules. I could care less what the manufacturer uses in their pricing model. The only thing that matters to me is the bottom line - how much will I pay for the device delivered to the door.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:56 PM
139 ... 456