Fortunately I get my Passport free from work, but I've also bought my own unlocked devices. Whether it's phones or other stuff, I'm as frustrated as any Canadian about paying the needless markup compared to our neighbours to the south. I thought Free Trade was supposed to settled that, but decades later, we inexplicably pay more. C'est la vie, but we can hope for a better life.
    09-24-14 11:36 AM
    Not that easy. First of all you need a US postal address. This is pretty easy to arrange, there are various services you can use, but not everyone in Canada lives close enough to the border to make this worth while. Secondly, you need a credit card with a US billing address. How many people have one of those in Canada?
    I'm not sure if you need a US credit card for purchasing the Passport but when i purchased my z10 from the US shopblackberry store and shipped it to my US forwarding address i used my Canadian credit card without issue. This may have changed.
    09-24-14 11:42 AM
    It's $100 bud. And yes 35 bucks is a huge difference also. We all aren't loaded

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    Dude you need to at least factor in the exchange rate. $35 after that is factored in.

Import taxes are higher in Canada too. As much as I'd like to buy this phone for as cheap as possible I have to think that this should have been expected and is relatively fair.
    Last edited by Kennedy.L; 09-25-14 at 08:57 AM.
    wincyUt and anon(8908445) like this.
    09-24-14 12:17 PM
    Fortunately I get my Passport free from work, but I've also bought my own unlocked devices. Whether it's phones or other stuff, I'm as frustrated as any Canadian about paying the needless markup compared to our neighbours to the south. I thought Free Trade was supposed to settled that, but decades later, we inexplicably pay more. C'est la vie, but we can hope for a better life.
    Well the phones aren't built in the US, so free trade isn't really applicable. Canadian taxes and import taxes are higher in Canada, blame your government.
    09-24-14 12:19 PM
    Ya considering it's only $200 at Telus lol. **** bell. And **** Rogers too for being completely non existent right now.

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    Do you know what being an exclusive carrier even means?

Gotta wait a week and see what happens.
    09-24-14 12:20 PM
    Not if you live in ontario with 13% HST on top. The phone comes out to $805 CAD vs less than $700 CAD from the US site.
    Have to say I do love Alberta. I better not take the no pst/hst for granted.
    09-24-14 12:22 PM
    It's not just $35. To date, Shop BlackBerry has been selling devices at par between the US and Canadian sites so the difference really is $100. Even when the US had a sale for $100 off per device the Canadian site issued a coupon code for the equivalent discount, again bringing the devices to par. You can't really blame people for feeling a bit fleeced under the circumstances especially with all the hype around the $599 price point but Chen's cavalier attitude about the situation certainly didn't help one little bit.
    Actually the difference is more than $100 when you take into account the Passport has free shipping in the US and costs $22 in Canada. I would have ordered one today at $649 with free shipping but with that extra $122 (and yes it is a REAL difference of $122) I think I can wait.
    09-24-14 12:23 PM
    This keynote was very "Canadian" focused, yet they give a $100 discount to Americans. And somebody explain this crap please.

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    Sales wise the US has more potential and just capturing 1% more will be a win for them.
    09-24-14 12:38 PM
    Bell, Canada's premier rip off artists want 299 and a two year contract. Well I got a couple of words for you and it starts with F. Blackberry, you had better go out and fix this problem PDQ.
    Maybe you should spend your money on "bend-it-like-Beckham" iPhone 6. SMH
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    09-24-14 12:48 PM
    Ordered earlier on ShopBlackBerry - now see that Amazon has them for cheaper

687.37$ (USD) = 760.168$ (CAD)

Wonder if that's a better option for us or if they'd be locked to an American carrier? Thoughts?

Why is it 9 in Canada-img_20140924_135029_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 12:52 PM
    The Passport is worth every bit $699.95. If a $100 difference will make you broke, buy something your budget will allow. Always remember that it's not everything in life we can afford. Is anyone under duress to buy the Passport? SMH
    Last edited by wincyUt; 09-26-14 at 07:18 PM.
    09-24-14 12:53 PM
    The Passport is worth every bit $699.95. If a $100 difference will make you broke, buy something your budget will allow. Always remember that it's nothing everything in life we can afford. Is anyone under duress to buy the Passport? SMH
    It has absolutely nothing to do with whether people can afford to spend the extra $122 or not (see post above), I know I can. But the pricing seems to be extremely arbitrary and exclusionary when taking all the factors into account. If I felt the device was priced fairly compared to the US, even if it was more, I'd have placed my order already. But when the CEO can't even explain why there's a price difference as broad as this then there's an issue. If you're happy with paying 20% more for everything you buy then I'll hit you up when I'm selling my house or car, see how you feel then.
    andy957 likes this.
    09-24-14 12:59 PM
    This is price gouging and nothing more. They think their "loyal" Canadian fan base won't care and is used to paying more (which we are b/c our competition authority is useless). Chen's own reaction, live, says it all. Jokers...

(did I mention that I am super stoked to buy one of these??!!)

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh and dejanh like this.
    09-24-14 01:03 PM
    This keynote was very "Canadian" focused, yet they give a $100 discount to Americans. And somebody explain this crap please.

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    I thought John Chen's comment during the webcast was glib regarding this issue, and unprofessional.
    09-24-14 02:48 PM
    Bell, Canada's premier rip off artists want 299 and a two year contract. Well I got a couple of words for you and it starts with F. Blackberry, you had better go out and fix this problem PDQ.
    They will adjust their pricing... Bell did the same when the Z10 came out. They adjusted to competition immediately

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 02:57 PM
    The Passport is worth every bit $699.95. If a $100 difference will make you broke, buy something your budget will allow. Always remember that it's nothing everything in life we can afford. Is anyone under duress to buy the Passport? SMH
    It's NOT a 100$ difference! Anyone know anything about exchange rates? It's about 34$ difference

Posted via CB10
    Denny_Crane likes this.
    09-24-14 02:58 PM
    Because canada is rape when it comes to import taxes.
    09-24-14 03:02 PM
    I thought John Chen's comment during the webcast was glib regarding this issue, and unprofessional.
    Which is more professional, saying I don't know or offering something off the cuff before has has checked with the department that deals with pricing for various countries? If he isn't aware for example of our high import duties and taxes which BlackBerry has no control over, he may have assumed the only difference being exchange rate. Then you people would be jumping all over him for lying. He can't win.
    09-24-14 03:11 PM
    Guys what import taxes are you even talking about, BlackBerry is a Canadian company...

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    09-24-14 03:14 PM
    Guys what import taxes are you even talking about, BlackBerry is a Canadian company...

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    Yes, but the phones are not manufactured in Canada if I can recall...
    09-24-14 03:20 PM

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    There are no import taxes, they are just collecting the sales tax appropriate to your province. This is where the Americans are also saving, no shipping and no sales taxes.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 03:21 PM
    I agree, but maybe it is because he is American so he is thinking from a US perspective ("why is it more expensive?"). I believe there is a lot of things on his mind (earnings for one). Everyone at BlackBerry is multi-tasking to the max. They should have gotten other less stressed employees to do the presentation.
    09-24-14 03:22 PM
    It's NOT a 100$ difference! Anyone know anything about exchange rates? It's about 34$ difference

Posted via CB10
    Do you read threads all the way through???
    09-24-14 03:24 PM
    i dont think import taxes apply for outsourced facilities, i think its a tax for the customer, not the company
    09-24-14 03:25 PM
    This is just what I think Since its available in Canada carrier already they want people to get it from carrier instead?? since its not available in the USA yet its a incentive for those that are waiting for the USA to get their hand on one to keep the people intrested while carrier working something out to carry it on USA carrier???
    09-24-14 03:30 PM
139 12345 ...