Here's my thinking about the Passport: in some ways it's a throw back just like the Classic is, except in this case it's going back to the early devices like the 7000 series.

Any similarity between:

Attachment 279078

And:

Attachment 279079

A lot of people loved the old side scroll wheel devices.

Posted via CB10
    My first BB was a 7250, I still have the thing and it still works. The 7000 series actually felt very good in the hand. It has a roundness about it. The BlackBerry Passport has sharp edges and corners that look just like the LG Intuition had.

Who would buy Passport?-lg-intuition-grip.jpg

It is like BlackBerry searched for the ugliest Android phone ever made and then came up with ways to make it even uglier. Phones like the Intuition and Passport are as wide as the Nexus 7. That widness and the aspect ratio caused the Intuition to be a huge flop, can't see things playing out much better for the passport.

I'll call it right now, the classic will out sell the BlackBerry Intuition QWERTY.
    06-20-14 07:32 AM
    Any thoughts who is and why would anyone buy a phone as ugly as the passport, just curious is there anybody who is thinking of getting one?

Posted via CB10
    Let's go with the cliche - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Then let's go with another cliche - beauty is as beauty does.

Here is the thing - yup, the phone is squat and square and unusual looking.

But...

It is unusual enough to make it appealing in an odd in-your-face kind of way AND that keyboard is going to be an absolute DREAM to type on. I mean, if this Q is magnificent, I can't IMAGINE what that keyboard will feel like. Given that it IS BlackBerry I expect that it will have the right *feel* and feedback when pressed.

Sometimes unusual beauty trumps classic. Take a look at Sophia Loren in her heyday. Put it next to Jennifer Anniston. Enough said.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    Rowan M and Thunderbuck like this.
    06-20-14 07:48 AM
    Not a huge fan of the design but who knows. Could be a trend setter. I'd like to play with one.

From my z10
    06-20-14 08:01 AM
    I never try and predict what the public will like any more - not since I couldn't imagine why anyone would ever want a giant iPod Touch.

It's different and unusual, that's as much as can be said. It'll either flop horribly or be a runaway success. I have no idea which. It's not for me though.
    06-20-14 08:09 AM
    It'll either flop horribly or be a runaway success. I have no idea which. It's not for me though.
    It doesn't sound like Chen expects it to be a hit with consumers, as it's intended to be an x-ray/cat scan reader for healthcare (and "other vertical markets"). I'm wondering if he already has/had a contract with certain companies to build it basically for them. If consumers buy it too, well... icing on the cake
    06-20-14 08:19 AM
    the devive looks like it will give you a new BB10 experience, which i'm pretty keen on trying:

a few questions still to be answered:

- android apps compatibility? Q10 was not compatible with all apps, due to 1:1 ratio... With that HUGE screen, will we be able to choose app resolution? mabye 4:3 (which android apps support) that could be a game changer for apps compatibility, and with that screen size, you wont even notice they are letter box on the side.. looking forward for clarification.

- HDMI mini to tv screen: same story here, will we be able to choose a 16:9 tv resolution, or other based on actual output screen? It was nice to have the output option from Q10, but the 1:1 ratio on my 46inch TV kind of seemed waisted...

- and then finally: how long will it take to get used to the new keyboard? i'm not worry about it, but I bet we will struggle just a little bit, with the space bar between the letters "V" and "B", as well as the ponctuation and numbers on a separate on screen row.

overall i'm pretty exited, looking forward to play with it
    Last edited by tomsobon; 06-22-14 at 02:58 PM.
    Rowan M and hassanalusi like this.
    06-20-14 08:39 AM
    It doesn't sound like Chen expects it to be a hit with consumers, as it's intended to be an x-ray/cat scan reader for healthcare (and "other vertical markets"). I'm wondering if he already has/had a contract with certain companies to build it basically for them. If consumers buy it too, well... icing on the cake
    Could well be so. But I wouldn't be surprised if consumers did buy it - I'm not expecting it, but as I say, I've given up trying to second guess what the public want!
    06-20-14 08:45 AM
    I definitely didn't like it at first, now I want one. But I'd rather a high end all touch device

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    06-20-14 08:57 AM
    Well, it has grabbed some attention. For example:

BlackBerry Passport looks like the craziest smartphone ever | Tech | Life & Style | Daily Star. Simply The Best 7 Days A Week

Now the Daily Star is a low-rent, incredibly trashy boobs and bums tabloid, where actual news is liable to be on page 6, some distance behind the analysis on Big Brother and I'm a Celebrity. That it gets a mention there is quite astonishing. And good news.
    Last edited by Banco; 06-20-14 at 09:18 AM.
    06-20-14 09:06 AM
    Like it or hate it, it's good to see BlackBerry being bold with design choices. They need to differentiate themselves in the marketplace with more than just the OS. I'm not sure I like the look but I'm definitely happy they're going for it design wise.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 09:08 AM
    From rumors... half people used it like it... half will like it over time. The problem is that it takes time to like it and most people are in-patience.

Like it or hate it, it's good to see BlackBerry being bold with design choices. They need to differentiate themselves in the marketplace with more than just the OS. I'm not sure I like the look but I'm definitely happy they're going for it design wise.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 09:49 AM
    It looks like how you would design a phablet phone if the iPhone had never been invented.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-20-14 10:35 AM
    i think the passport looks sleek, modern, rich and powerful. its a headturner. by proxy as a blackberry fanatic ive never been one to follow the herd and with this phone in a league of its own, ill be leading one.
    06-20-14 10:52 AM
    This phone is like an ugly baby. Hideous to look at, nasty to hold, but at least the parents love it...I think.
    06-20-14 11:02 AM
    Any thoughts who is and why would anyone buy a phone as ugly as the passport, just curious is there anybody who is thinking of getting one?

Posted via CB10
    I recall people laughed at the iPad when it first came out. I think it did ok.

Passport is looking cool because it's different from every thing else.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 11:08 AM
    It's definitely better than the classic in all regards.
    But if you're gonna make a huge @ss phone, why not go for a slider?

I wanted a slider ;(

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-20-14 11:27 AM
    IMO, the Passport is ugly to me but will serve its purpose. I probably wouldn't use it but I understand there is a market for it. This market won't be for Joe Blow consumer. JC has been saying about the need to focus on the enterprise more and their deal with the Amazon App Store will take care of the consumer app issue.
    06-20-14 11:37 AM
    In the official release pictures I thought it is ugly as hell, but seeing it in Chen's hands I think it looks fantastically unique.

I am concerned by the ergonomics of it, the balance of the thing since it looks top-heavy, and how I would fare with just 3 rows of the keyboard. The sharp edges and how well it would fit in the pocket is also a concern.

But it does look like a total boss phone, very badass. I do have a corporate job so it wouldn't be out of place for me, for now it is a real consideration for purchase. It depends on how it feels and works in the hand, especially since I have quite small hands anyway.

Even if it isn't for me I commend Blackberry's approach. At least they are trying something different which I can respect. They aren't able to compete with the Apples and the Samsung's of the mobile market with a like for like generic touch screen phone, so I think it's smart to come out with something new.

I almost feel like this is a retro line of models, the classic and the passport both have design features of yesteryear.

I am using a Q10 right now and I really like the Classic but I don't think it looks as good as the Q10, although I'm sure with the belt it will function better. I like the Q10's all black look, the black bezel gives it a stealth look. I've never liked the silver bezel on Blackberry's, a bit too 'blingy' for me.

But the Classic is a great move too, it consolidates the die hard BB fans and let's face it we're really the only customers it has left.
    nglfmark likes this.
    06-20-14 11:43 AM
    Both Passport and Classic looks good. Each will appeal to a group of people. No such thing as design rules. And if there are, rules are to be broken. It doesn't matter if a keyboard has three rows or four rows. What matter is how well it operates. Innovation success of a product/feature is defined by consumers adoption. Consumer adoption of a product doesn't follow any specific rule or regulation (*even though it could be affected by peer pressure*). A product with a well balance between easthetics and functionality will have higher chance of success. The Class does have the high-end look of the old Bold 9000 but the Passport offers a new and different look, perhaps a more risky look. I prefer the look of the Passport.
    Rowan M and Katika99 like this.
    06-20-14 12:40 PM
    and I don't think its not going to sell well at all. Z10
    So double negative .. you are actually for it!
    06-20-14 01:00 PM
    That is the beauty of Blackberry, you have a variety of phones for a variety of people.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 01:23 PM
    That is the beauty of Blackberry, you have a variety of phones for a variety of people.

Posted via CB10
    Except for a current touchscreen flagship...
    Time will tell if the physical KB gamble was worth it and currently, I very much doubt that.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 01:27 PM
    Hopefully these are just the teasers to a kick-a$$ full touch, 5-inch screen/quad-core/2.5Ghz/3GB-RAM/Google integrated/32GB internal storage/EMMC-ing/10.3.x device...

...That I'll have to take out a loan to acquire...

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175
    Google integrated? Why dont you just buy an android?

If you use google apps they track everything you do anyway.

So why care for BlackBerry security and privacy?

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    Vorkosigan and Katika99 like this.
    06-20-14 01:52 PM
    As a phone I agree the passport is a bit of an ugly duckling. But as a phablet Chen may be onto something. I love the classic too much to consider the Passport.
    Fingers are crossed for both.
    06-20-14 02:07 PM
    Google integrated? Why dont you just buy an android?

If you use google apps they track everything you do anyway.

So why care for BlackBerry security and privacy?

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    I find this comment interesting, and I agree wholeheartedly.

I don't want Google integrating anything for me. I've read too much of kitkat's implementation of Google +, enough to cause me to rethink the third platform I'll use this year along with my iPhone and my BlackBerry, whichever it turns out to be.

I just spent thirty minutes going over my permissions and settings on my SGIII. And that Note 4 I wanted will have to wait or it may not happen at all. I'm thinking about a Lumia 1520 alongside my two other phones.

Don't integrate anything on my BlackBerry except my email and my BBM. Everything else I'll pick and choose on my own.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    06-20-14 02:08 PM
309 12345 ...