I too am wondering about its purpose and overall practicality. Who would benefit from this design the most? Other than the "I'll buy it because it is interesting" reasons, I haven't heard any compelling evidence as to why this device would out perform the other devices or offer any advantages. It seems awkward and the sharp edges seem uncomfortable.

My concern is the keyboard. The Q10 is causing issues for several users. I wonder just how durable this touch sensitive keyboard is going to be? Will it double type or will the touch sensors offer longevity?

Time will tell. I still want to see it in action!

emPowered by ?
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    06-19-14 08:35 PM
    Here's my thinking about the Passport: in some ways it's a throw back just like the Classic is, except in this case it's going back to the early devices like the 7000 series.

Any similarity between:

Who would buy Passport?-th.jpg

And:

Who would buy Passport?-th-1-.jpg

A lot of people loved the old side scroll wheel devices.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 08:48 PM
    Passport is perfect device because it renders tablets useless. It is big enough to do the work. I also see why blackberry chose this aspect ratio. this phone makes no sense to be used in landscape mode

Sent from my 20246 using Tapatalk
    06-19-14 08:57 PM
    Passport is perfect device because it renders tablets useless. It is big enough to do the work. I also see why blackberry chose this aspect ratio. this phone makes no sense to be used in landscape mode

Sent from my 20246 using Tapatalk
    A 10" tablet is perfect for me. It's about screen real estate and large phones don't cut it.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    06-19-14 09:00 PM
    The Passport is like a work of abstract art, where the painter painted something familiar... with a twist. There are elements that clearly resemble a traditional BlackBerry, but much of it is very different... and the full qwerty keyboard crowd, we cling to what's familiar.. we didn't change with the times when the world went to touch screens...so we are having a hard time accepting that BlackBerry's next device is a total departure from what we love about their devices.

I will have to see the Passport in-person, because the design just doesn't sit right with me. It's almost like a knockoff BlackBerry that you'd find in China or something, where you can see how they copied BlackBerry, but got it wrong. And I hate that I have to type that about BlackBerry's most innovative phone yet.
    06-19-14 09:29 PM
    The most important question is whether the device works well for those who like physical keyboards.

It would be nice to hear from those who were there and saw the Passport in person. Does it look good. Judging by the pictures to me it looks like a Sony Xperia with the virtual keyboard on.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 10:16 PM
    Yup apparently to the tune of a dew million and that was when android was still young...

http://phandroid.com/2012/08/15/sams...old-worldwide/

I don't care if other people want a bb10 device I wanted one and that's all that matters.
    06-19-14 10:43 PM
    Think I will pass on the port and wait for the classic, will still try one out though until the classic is available for purchase

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    06-19-14 10:48 PM
    The passport will be BlackBerry's statement device.

It will turn heads and demand attention. People will be curious and its evident already.

If anyone thinks it too big/ugly bla bla just get a classic and be done with it.

Most of the polls ive seen there's more interest in passport as compared to classic.

But I understand the classic's position.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-19-14 10:54 PM
    I'm between the classic and the passport, I'm loving the size of the passport but I want to have a trackpad too... i'll wait until I can see how the keyboard works on the winde...passport.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 11:01 PM
    Passport.

Name doesn't really sound consumer oriented.

Size seems too big for the pocket.

Design is pretty ugly.

That's from your average Joe stand point.

Me being a BlackBerry fan, I'd like to test it out and see what it's about. I'm sure BlackBerry has some sort of BlackBerry taste to it for coming out with such a device.

I wouldn't be surprised if I fall in love with it.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 11:17 PM
    Hopefully these are just the teasers to a kick-a$$ full touch, 5-inch screen/quad-core/2.5Ghz/3GB-RAM/Google integrated/32GB internal storage/EMMC-ing/10.3.x device...

...That I'll have to take out a loan to acquire...

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175
    06-19-14 11:37 PM
    I am in total agreement. That's why I started an iphone 6 vs Classic thread. This passport goes against all design rules. It's not symmetrical from top to bottom. Also why would you remove a row of keys on a qwerty device. So what's next? Only 2 rows. Then why not just go full touchscreen? And if they want 3 rows then why the weirdly square look-is there an advantage in removing rounded corners?! Only die hard BlackBerry fans would get this device. The Q10 I had intrigued a few iphone users. But the Passport!? I showed a few pics and they died laughing or looked away in disgust.

I'm sorry but I thought the Q30 would be a better specs Q10 but I was wrong. Aesthetics matter. And in that department apple cannot be beat. They are pleasing to the eye. But this passport is just plain ugly. It's just so mechanical looking. The calculator descriptions are very apt.

Posted via CB10
    This.

Although...it will be fascinating to try it out and see. Maybe BB will really surprise us with the functionality of this guy.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 11:43 PM
    Any thoughts who is and why would anyone buy a phone as ugly as the passport, just curious is there anybody who is thinking of getting one?

Posted via CB10
    ugly isn't the word for it .................................now the classic is very nice would but that in a heartbeat
    06-20-14 01:24 AM
    The only gripe/question mark I have with this device is its width concerning one handed use. And I found it to be ugly as hell on first sight.

But since it has grown on me, especially with the numerous shots from BlackBerrys AGM in John Chens hands. The thought behind it, having a kind of 'ultimate communicator' with the dimensions of a passport is more and more intriguing to me. Just for the dimensions:

- it is wider in portrait than an iPhone 4S is in landscape (81 vs. 74 mm)
    - it's almost as wide in portrait as an iPhone 5S in landscape (81 vs. 88 mm)
    - it is substantially wider than a Galaxy Note 3 (81 vs. 69 mm)

....yes, this somehow makes a weird device but at the same time a pleasure to browse, do anything with text and even in video (look at the dimensions above) it delivers more 16:9 screen real estate than an iPhone 4S in landscape mode.

As for pockets... it's not as tall as other phones with widths in its class, by far. The overall design of it strongly reminds me of the 8800 with its metal look ridges on its sides as well as its overall blocky design. In the latest pictures of John Chen holding it it looks super sexy to me.
    Last edited by --TommesJay--; 06-20-14 at 02:59 AM.
    Rowan M likes this.
    06-20-14 02:02 AM
    How many people actually go to a store, see a product and say "the looks have grown on me". Most will judge this phone on first look and feel. The fact that it requires a bit of effort to like could be a deal breaker for many.
    BKA22 likes this.
    06-20-14 02:44 AM
    And just for the record: one of the most original features my first BlackBerry had over any competing product was a screen that's substantially wider in portrait mode than anyone else's. It sounds weird but somehow this device is the first for a long period of time that gets back to that roots.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    06-20-14 02:57 AM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Passport will be a winner!!!

And so will the Classic!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 02:58 AM
    The phone is one of the best looking device Blackberry has ever made, IMO.

The issue arises from the ergonomics of such bizarre proportions. This feels like the LG Vu all over again except with a keyboard tacked on.

Still doesn't take away from the fact the device looks fantastic, though.
    06-20-14 03:03 AM
    The phone is one of the best looking device Blackberry has ever made, IMO.

The issue arises from the ergonomics of such bizarre proportions. This feels like the LG Vu all over again except with a keyboard tacked on.

Still doesn't take away from the fact the device looks fantastic, though.
    BUT the Vu in contrast was just another random Android phablet with plasticky build quality which on top happened to have a weird form factor nobody's been asking for. The BlackBerry 10.3 OS as well as the hardware keyboard which is a capacitive touch interface at the same time makes this a completely different device IMO.
    06-20-14 03:10 AM
    At first glance I like the looks of the passport, but I am a person who has to get the device into my hands and play with it before I make a decision to buy it.

I am also hoping the price point of the passport is aggressive to get folks to think about coming back to the Blackberry platform, just my two cents.

As I said in one of my other post, if the device comes in at or around 450 USD, I will be the first in line to buy it.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    Z30Commission likes this.
    06-20-14 04:05 AM
    It's good for business personnels who travels a lot.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 04:22 AM
    Any thoughts who is and why would anyone buy a phone as ugly as the passport, just curious is there anybody who is thinking of getting one?

Posted via CB10
    The passport with its keyboard that looked truncated is ugly as hell. Only the Classic for me, at least it looked proper.
    06-20-14 04:23 AM
    I didn't like the leaked pictures, but after seeing it now I really like it! It's so different to anything else, I'm getting one. It looks perfect for getting things done
    06-20-14 07:19 AM
    The only gripe/question mark I have with this device is its width concerning one handed use. And I found it to be ugly as hell on first sight.

But since it has grown on me, especially with the numerous shots from BlackBerrys AGM in John Chens hands. The thought behind it, having a kind of 'ultimate communicator' with the dimensions of a passport is more and more intriguing to me. Just for the dimensions:

- it is wider in portrait than an iPhone 4S is in landscape (81 vs. 74 mm)
    - it's almost as wide in portrait as an iPhone 5S in landscape (81 vs. 88 mm)
    - it is substantially wider than a Galaxy Note 3 (81 vs. 69 mm)

....yes, this somehow makes a weird device but at the same time a pleasure to browse, do anything with text and even in video (look at the dimensions above) it delivers more 16:9 screen real estate than an iPhone 4S in landscape mode.

As for pockets... it's not as tall as other phones with widths in its class, by far. The overall design of it strongly reminds me of the 8800 with its metal look ridges on its sides as well as its overall blocky design. In the latest pictures of John Chen holding it it looks super sexy to me.
    I gather that Americans have fewer passports issued than other countries. If you have one place it in your hands. It is wide but you will adapt.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 07:26 AM
309 1234 ...