I trust user first, critic least. Then I make sure the product I am looking at will do what I need it to. I have done that for guitars and guitar equipment, video game systems, phones, computers, tablets everything.

At the end of the day, of it doesn't work for me it's not what I need. Research is key for any big purchase.
    11-22-14 07:49 AM
    I trust neither. The critics are being paid to write glowing reviews of other products, and being paid a little extra to emphasize issues with other devices. The users are so blinded by brand worshiping (this goes for Android, Apple and BlackBerry devices) that the only product that's relevant, is the one they prefer. Myself, I can go to the store, grab an iPhone, Android device (Aren't they all pretty much the same sans the manufacturers OS overlay?), WP8, or BB10 device (which I understand is carrier specific and it's not nearly as easy to get my mitts on one), and play with it for as long as I want to, so I can set myself up to make my own decision. I usually tell the salespeople that I want left alone, too.

Admittedly, I bought the Z10 before it was released in the US, just to give it a shot, but in hindsight, I have 0 regrets and would have done the same thing if all 4 options were laid out in front of me.
    deltact and pppro like this.
    11-22-14 08:21 AM
    If you're a person whose been on the internet for a while, you'll know who to trust, especially when it comes to BlackBerry. Well, it's not really trust but more like advice and recommendations. Engadget, BGR, The Verge and many others absolutely despise BlackBerry. Then on the other end you have CrackBerry, N4BB and others that are obviously pro-BB. There are some in "between" people popping up now since the latest release of the Passport like PhoneDog. John @ TechnoBuffalo has always loved BB but has no fear of saying what he doesn't like about it.

So... just watch who you take advice from.
    11-22-14 08:34 AM
    If you're a person whose been on the internet for a while, you'll know who to trust, especially when it comes to BlackBerry. Well, it's not really trust but more like advice and recommendations. Engadget, BGR, The Verge and many others absolutely despise BlackBerry. Then on the other end you have CrackBerry, N4BB and others that are obviously pro-BB. There are some in "between" people popping up now since the latest release of the Passport like PhoneDog. John @ TechnoBuffalo has always loved BB but has no fear of saying what he doesn't like about it.

So... just watch who you take advice from.
    That PhonDog one is by far the best style of review....

The guy is using the device as is daily driver for 30 days and then makes comment vids through the process. If more "Experts" would do this type of review, which takes alot of work btw, we would all be better off. In the end I assume the Passport will not be his device of choice (he favors Android and lets you knows this) but the extensive review clearly explains why, which will help many make a truly informed decision for themselves.

So to answer the OP question...it depends on who the reviewer is, not by his/her final opinion but more by showing me the process of how he/she got there. After all I am not looking necessarily for a final opinion...just show me the dammed phone and what it can and cant do...I will make up my own mind from there.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    11-22-14 09:55 AM
    It depends. There are some pretty fair and neutral reviewers that do honest reviews. One example is PocketNow, i enjoy the reviews of Michael Fisher as he is in depth, knowledgeable and honest. At the same time there are plenty of users who post insightful comments. It's quite clear which those are, because similar to honest reviewers, they point out both the good and bad.

So TL;DR : a balance of both, and use your judgement to sift through it all to find the worthwhile content.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 11:20 AM
    Just go with David Pogue. He always gives excellent reviews. And he is the most fair reviewer I have ever read.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 12:58 PM
    Reviewers are always going to slag off Blackberrry. I bought an iPhone 6+ which I like very much. My Z10 battery was useless and I just gave up on BB with no all-touch replacement in sight. My wife insisted on swapping her Q10 for a Passport and she is delighted with it. The Sonos app doesn't seem to work properly but she doesn't use many apps other than that and she loves the screen, keyboard and battery life.
    11-22-14 01:00 PM
    Trust no one.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    thymaster and andy957 like this.
    11-23-14 02:19 AM
    Always take everybody else's opinion with a grain of salt.

There's a new review from Ars Technica that I liked because it seems balanced;

The BlackBerry Passport enigma: TCOB-machine or ?worst designed thing, ever? | Ars Technica
    11-24-14 12:52 PM
    Always take everybody else's opinion with a grain of salt
    Agreed
    I always like to read more reviews and comments and based on that I make my decision which device to buy. It's always about informed decision.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 01:27 PM
    At Engadget, the Critics gave the Passport a 6.7 grade and the users gave it a near perfect grade of 8.9 out of 10.

The question is who do you trust more? Do stats influence your purchasing decisions?

BlackBerry Passport review - Engadget
    Technology critics and reviewers are followers. They all cite the same old sorry claims that every other reviewer cites. Most of them are afraid to acknowledge the strength of the BB10 OS because they fear they'll be ridiculed by their readers and by their peers for supporting BlackBerry when no one else is. Very few reviewers are brave enough to go against the grain and give BlackBerry a real objective assessment. I trust users hands down.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    11-24-14 06:24 PM
    Trust the users period. Who uses these devices as daily drivers? Users right.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 07:38 PM
    At Engadget, the Critics gave the Passport a 6.7 grade and the users gave it a near perfect grade of 8.9 out of 10.

The question is who do you trust more? Do stats influence your purchasing decisions?

BlackBerry Passport review - Engadget
    I trust paid users, they have skin in the game. Amazon user reviews speak's volumes!
    11-24-14 09:15 PM
    I look at some critics' reviews, but mostly users'. I don't care that certain games are unavailable on BlackBerry, or whatever music streaming service. I look at what people say about screen quality, ease of typing, file management and cloud integration (for a cloud of MY choosing, not the manufacturer's). These are the things that are important to me, plus security, which nobody outside of BlackBerry forums seems to mention anymore.

I don't expect any reviewer or user to evaluate a phone based only on the above criteria, so I actually read the reviews and pick out the relevant bits. And then I try to find working models in stores for some hands-on practice.

Some of the 'negative' ratings are a positive for me - I like the fact that I cannot type a quick message one-handed - this removes the temptation to do so while driving. And if I can't type, what's the point of reading it in the first place? So I'm now a less distracted driver. And some negative reviews are downright absurd - there is a two star review on Amazon because the phone was too expensive for the user.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    11-25-14 12:18 AM
    Users can be as biased as critics sometimes. Especially when it comes to niche devices. They seem to have the desire to push their particular device in some form and a lot of comments are not completely thought through.

I think it's always important to get a healthy mix of all the reviews and to filter the professional ones from the unprofessional ones.
    11-25-14 12:36 AM
    I'd trust yourself. Go in and play with one, and decide. Personally I love mine.
    I would if it would actually be available in a store less than 500 kilometres away!

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 03:56 AM
    Both. I take into account the amount of time using a device and the over all review. I try to liken my needs with whet is spoke on in the reviews. Ultimately, I try the device to get my own oppionion.
    11-25-14 06:12 AM
    Critics use the phone for a matter of hours.
    Users use the phone for a matter of months and years.
    Obviously the users but you do need a consensus.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 06:21 AM
    Ghost busters!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 06:35 AM
    I believe they provide a different view on the same thing.

Critics: review comparing to other devices they have access to
    Users: not really a review but a usability report since the user probably already bought the phone.

I actually trust the critics more, i.e. if they give passport a 6.7 I would agree for the majority of the users, only heavy productivity users or power pros can leverage most key features of bb10 and passport

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 07:44 PM
    Users every time for me. No hidden agenda.
    Really? I don't think I'd trust either of them. There may be users out there (like us on CrackBerry) who want to make this thing look like the best phone ever made because of brand loyalty. Some might also say it's great because they own stock in BBRY.

I think it's best to take a mix of opinions from both users and reviewers.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    11-25-14 08:41 PM
71 123