11-25-14 08:41 PM
71 123
tools
    At Engadget, the Critics gave the Passport a 6.7 grade and the users gave it a near perfect grade of 8.9 out of 10.

The question is who do you trust more? Do stats influence your purchasing decisions?

BlackBerry Passport review - Engadget
    11-20-14 11:32 AM
    Users every time for me. No hidden agenda.
    11-20-14 11:36 AM
    If I was going to determine whether I purchased a device on Stats and reviews I would scour loads of sites before I made my mind up, there are too many biased out of touch reviewers out there, same with users spamming ratings with low numbers, they did it to Symbian, the OS that wasn't half as bad as the pathetic reviewers made out it to be.
    I'd trust yourself. Go in and play with one, and decide. Personally I love mine.
    The users but not the fanboys.
    11-20-14 11:50 AM
    Like with movies, I go with the users.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 12:00 PM
    Critics are also users with more structured opinion put down on paper with freedom to give points. So they are only human and make same mistakes as users.

P.S - Term "user" remind me of TRON.. feels great to be one..

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 01:09 PM
    And they also get free goodies... like Passport, iPhone, and invitations to good conferences.

Posted via CB10
    power5 likes this.
    11-20-14 01:11 PM
    Yes critics are also users but judge the device much more harshly. Those harsh reviews are based on features that most of the public don't even use. I go with user reviews because critic reviews have let me down more times than not. Reviewers are reviewers for a reason. Their scores will almost always be lower than the accumulated user reviews.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT on T-MO
    11-20-14 01:15 PM
    Users have the best advice.
    It is 'real world', 'while in use', reviews. They spend more time with the smartphone and notice much more the flaws and the benefits. If you can sort out the opinion part and look at the facts to see which are closest to your needs. That is a better use for you.

But I read the critics to better understand what the phone's attributes and imperfections are.
    So far, I'm having trouble to decide on the Passport.
    11-20-14 01:17 PM
    1000% the users. Objective media is by and large dead. If it ever lived in the first place.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    11-20-14 01:20 PM
    I trust that users like the devices they researched, bought, and went to Engadget to read about. In a similar vein, I'm starting a site where everyone rates how good the car they bought was.
    11-20-14 01:25 PM
    At Engadget, the Critics gave the Passport a 6.7 grade and the users gave it a near perfect grade of 8.9 out of 10.

The question is who do you trust more? Do stats influence your purchasing decisions?

BlackBerry Passport review - Engadget
    Wait wait wait, does anyone trust the critics????
    11-20-14 01:25 PM
    It is 'real world', 'while in use', reviews. They spend more time with the smartphone and notice much more the flaws and the benefits. If you can sort out the opinion part and look at the facts to see which are closest to your needs. That is a better use for you.

But I read the critics to better understand what the phone's attributes and imperfections are.
    Simple....get it. You'll love it I'm sure. Although the UI is exactly the same as other bb10 devices, it felt like an all new OS when I fired the bad boy up.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT on T-MO
    GeoK likes this.
    11-20-14 01:30 PM
    A bit of both. Critics are supposed to be critical and are supposed to find something negative about any device. Yes, I admit that is a very idealistic view and it's not hard to detect certain biases.

Users can often be more biased because they feel a need to justify their purchase. Someone who just spent $600 or $750 will not want to admit that their experience is anything but perfect.

Therefore, I prefer reviews from critical users who are well-read and familiar with the mobile device market and all major platforms.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-20-14 01:33 PM
    I use a cross section of both... I take each with a boat load of salt so to speak... many "critics" have an axe to grind... while many users are blinded to the device drawbacks... doing thorough reading of both sides gives me a general overview.... but nothing works like hands on experience.... as most vendors I deal with have at least a 2 - 4 weeks honeymoon clause... gives me enough time to evaluate if the device works for me....
    solitude1984 likes this.
    11-20-14 01:35 PM
    User usually have biased opinions as they have few things to compare with.
    A critic should give a unbiased opinion with availability of resources and vast experience.
    Most of the devices are follow up of previous ones and easy to predict.
    But then comes a ground breaking innovation like iPhone or Passport which shake the foundations and even builds new ones. That is the real testing ground for a critic.
    But it's a combination of both that gives really good judgement and I do read both.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 01:36 PM

Completely agree.
    But with passport you just have to decide simple things.
    You can't go wrong with hardware specs

Big wide screen with compulsory 2 hand use - yes/no
    BlackBerry OS : yes/no
    Physical keyboard : yes/no

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 01:36 PM
    I most trust the users, never trust the critics (you never know who pay's them)
    11-20-14 01:45 PM
    I compare what the critics say to the users comments. I look for facts from each and decide which to accept and which seems to be biased. The person's reputation often is taken as part of the decision making. Some critics or users I value more because of their past comments.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 01:47 PM
    The good critics can point out things that a fanboy or fangirl might miss. It is important to know the leanings of the reviewer as much as possible. For example, I read David Pogue reviews knowing he is a huge Apple fan and will be much more forgiving of their shortcomings than other phone manufacturers. I listen to podcast like All About Android knowing that they will be much more forgiving of Android's shortcomings. I can glean good information from both sources as long as I know where their blindspots lie. The same with Crackberry. There is great information here but also people that will attack you quite viciously if you point out any flaws or problems with your device. They believe because they don't have the problem you must be making it up or you are a "troll" or against BlackBerry. We have to carefully consider all of the information and then use reason to sort through it.
    Daniel Montanaro likes this.
    11-20-14 01:51 PM
    I'm sure the eventual consensus will be that whoever likes the Passport is unbiased and honest and whoever doesn't like it is biased and dishonest.
    11-20-14 01:55 PM
    Users every time for me. No hidden agenda.
    Really? like the reviews on Amazon.com where of the 270 reviews less than 10 are from verified purchasers, the rest are probably from users of this and other BB fan sites trying to pump the devices. I believe the critics much more than the biased users
    m1a1mg and thymaster like this.
    11-20-14 02:08 PM
    The users but not the fanboys.
    so advice from this site are out since there are only fanboys here..that's why I never trust reviews from here..
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-20-14 02:18 PM
    I used to trust users then I found out that companies buy reviews, give free goods in exchange for positive reviews etc.

I try to read through the reviews now and find the ones that speak to concerns I might have about a product, but I also have reviewers I have come to trust over time. Leo LaPorte is an example of one.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-20-14 02:35 PM
71 123